web analytics

Updated – Newcastle’s Likely Starting Eleven Against Leicester

We put out the team yesterday that we thought would start today’s game against former Premier League Champions Leicester City at St. James’ Park.

But then we found from an exclusive in the Mail out that both Paul Dummett and Federico Fernandez are injured and cannot play.

So the question becomes who can play in their place today?

Ciaran Clark – likely to start today in place of the injured Fernandez

Fabian Schar and Ciaran Clark are ready to replace the Argentine center back and probably Clark will get the start because of his extra experience in the Premier League.

As for left back, we don’t have many fullbacks, and it looks like Javier Manquillo will start in place of Dummett, although he prefers to play on the other side.

So this would be our updated team for today:

Dubravka
Yedlin Lascelles (c) Clark Manquillo
Shelvey Ki
Ritchie Perez Kenedy
Joselu

What would your team be for today?

How Will Newcastle Fare Against Leicester City?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• Ibizatoon

Sep 29, 2018 at 10:46 AM

Hey Ed…No cheating at the Rafa bingo!

• bettyswallocks

Sep 29, 2018 at 10:53 AM

bettyswallocks
    Sep 29, 2018 at 10:43 AM
    I think all bloggers should be made to pay if they wish to post anything negative about Rafa and the team.
    All negative comments about Ashley, Jib and Jesper should earn reward points which can be cashed in to have a whinge about the team.

• ShirebrookToon

Sep 29, 2018 at 11:07 AM

No to Clark. He was poor against arsenal when he came on and has been poor when he has played.

• lochinvar

Sep 29, 2018 at 11:16 AM

Clark is a traditional no nonsense Premier League centre back so it him or the more European minded Schar. Who copes better with Leicester’s style of expansive play and then helps set up our attacks through midfield is the decider. I’d be inclined to go with Schar.

• toon22

Sep 29, 2018 at 11:27 AM

Can’t wait for the usual people to say we shouldn’t sit back
    We need to take the game too blablablabla

Today for me it’s 3 points by any means

• toon22

Sep 29, 2018 at 11:27 AM

You mean Justin Barnes ?

• Jail for Ashley

Sep 29, 2018 at 11:28 AM

What time are the protests planned today.

• Harley

Sep 29, 2018 at 11:30 AM

I’d like to see 3 at the back for a change as I think we’ve got the players who are well suited to it.

Dubravka

Schar, Lascelles, Clark

Yedlin, Diame, Shelvey, kenedy

Ritchie

Josalu, Muto

Obviously won’t happen though.

• sing in the corner

Sep 29, 2018 at 11:35 AM

Jail

Protest 2.15pm SD shop St James Park

• hibbit

Sep 29, 2018 at 11:37 AM

Jail
    from 2pm

• hibbit

Sep 29, 2018 at 11:42 AM

that’s me off to the match, enjoy the game were ever you are

good luck toon army

• SA Toon

Sep 29, 2018 at 11:46 AM

I can’t believe I’m finally able to say this, but “that’s me, I’m off to the match too”! Can’t wait to see you all there. Please, please, after the protest let’s make some noise for the boys. HWTL

• kc2012

Sep 29, 2018 at 11:59 AM

I’d be happy enough with that team but probably give Murphy a start instead of Kenedy and Muto instead of Ayoze.

A 2 man strikeforce of Joselu and Muto like Harley (comment 8) suggested would be interesting too. I’d like that, maybe bring the best out of Joselu.

Either way….Come on the TOON!!

• sing in the corner

Sep 29, 2018 at 12:15 PM

SA toon
    So good to see your excitement for the match. Sing up, sing loud, and don’t worry that it’s extremely likely that most people will be sitting round you in silence the majority of the time..

• Essex Geordie Bill

Sep 29, 2018 at 12:21 PM

2 Hours 38 Minutes to KO

• Essex Geordie Bill

Sep 29, 2018 at 12:27 PM

The team I’d like to see staring today.

Dubkravka
    Sterry Lascelles Schaar Kenedy
    Yedlin Shelvey Longstaff
    Ritchie Fernandez
    Muto

They won’t be expecting that.

2-0 to us.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Sep 29, 2018 at 12:28 PM

Or starting even! 🙂

• Ibizatoon

Sep 29, 2018 at 12:30 PM

Essex…A good old fashioned death stare from the starting 11 wouldn’t be a bad shout either

• Our Toon

Sep 29, 2018 at 12:45 PM

Sat in Singapore airport, gutted to be missing my first match in 4 years. If we win which I hope we do, i might skip the man utd one to bring us some luck.

Howay lads, 3 pts today please. Muto for Perez or muto up top by himself to push them back rafa, let’s have a go at a Leicester team short on confidence away from home. Enjoy the game everyone 3 pts coming today. Will log on tomorrow to see what ppls thoughts are

• Essex Geordie Bill

Sep 29, 2018 at 1:10 PM

To our American cousins, 8-4. 😉

• AncientC

Sep 29, 2018 at 1:20 PM

It is all starting to click for Pellegrini. West Ham made an inspired choice with their manager for once.

• Munster Mag

Sep 29, 2018 at 1:30 PM

Jail you are the village idiot of the blog. A foreign fan has to give money to the club to be entitled to an opinion on a club they supported for years, on an international blog. Only Jail could be so uniquely stupid 🙂

• Munster Mag

Sep 29, 2018 at 1:32 PM

Of course if all I posted was anti Ashley stuff u wudnt care Jail. For the 50th rime I want to see Rafa here, backed. How many more times do you need that explained you moron.

• Reilly

Sep 29, 2018 at 1:34 PM

ee Ryder
    @lee_ryder
    Rafa Benitez said before the game Mike Ashley would be welcome at the game today. I understand there is talk the owner is poised to return this afternoon.

• Lindisfarne

Sep 29, 2018 at 1:39 PM

He might get a game in defence

• Munster Mag

Sep 29, 2018 at 1:40 PM

Ancient, in fairness the dildo brothers have given him a pot of cash. Rafa has sold all.

• Reilly

Sep 29, 2018 at 1:40 PM

Sky News
    @SkyNews
    Sky sources: Former Manchester United and Chelsea chief Peter Kenyon plots Newcastle takeover.

• chicousa

Sep 29, 2018 at 1:41 PM

Jail,
    I was catching up on blog posts from yesterday and saw your comments re: overseas fans. I think you have clarified your meaning a few times, so won’t dredge it up again now. But seeing as you mentioned me as one of these foreign based fans that have likely (in your opinion) have never contributed to the club and so have no right to demand Rafa be fired, I have just 2 short comments:

1. I have NEVER called for Rafa “Out”. I have never even criticized Rafa in any serious way, other than a few comments wondering why he let Mitro sit on bench and then let him be sold.

2. I have contributed to the club in small ways, attending one match last season when I happened to be traveling through England and extended my layover for a few days to take the train up to Newcastle. I was as ecstatic to do so as SA Toon is today attending his first live match!

Hope this clarifies things in your mind! Cheers!

• Ibizatoon

Sep 29, 2018 at 1:47 PM

Reilly…Interesting news. Will have to take a look into the guy.

• Jail for Ashley

Sep 29, 2018 at 1:54 PM

chicousa,
    This has all been blown out of proportion due to Munsters shite stirring. I have no problem with you whatsoever and enjoy your input. Apparently Man U have 480 million fans, when I mentioned you I was just wondering how many of our overseas fans were members. I said that to Munster as he gets on my tits these days.

• Munster Mag

Sep 29, 2018 at 1:55 PM

Correction : Rafa has sod all cash, not sold all. Gwan Rafa a win would make great motd viewing.

• Munster Mag

Sep 29, 2018 at 1:56 PM

Jail stop weasling, you snivelling village idiot

• DaveD1000

Sep 29, 2018 at 1:58 PM

Reilly
    was just reading that… let’s hope there is something in it

• Munster Mag

Sep 29, 2018 at 1:58 PM

Jail you thick fool, I want Rafa backed not sacked. Sorry if that upsets your view of things. Can you now correct that notion in your feeble head. Thank you.

• Bambams

Sep 29, 2018 at 1:58 PM

I would be happy if Kenyon took over.

Knows football much better than Ash does.

Imo

• toon kk

Sep 29, 2018 at 1:59 PM

Chicousa
    No need to justify yourself. If your a Newcastle fan your a fan.
    You could spin it around its the regular visitors to SJP which are keeping MA regime going. Many complain then put money in his pocket. Strange one.

• DaveD1000

Sep 29, 2018 at 2:03 PM

Bam
    though as many in twatterdom are pointing out, it was around now the Staveley stories came out. I live in hope.

• Bambams

Sep 29, 2018 at 2:05 PM

DaveD1000

Mate I did also think that, if no substance it would be an ideal foil to hide behind leading up to the transfer window – again