web analytics

It’s Difficult – But Fans Must Support The Team During Games – Forget About Ashley

Newcastle fans are in a very difficult position these days and they can’t win.

If they do nothing then they will be accused of allowing Mike Ashley to stay and some will say they haven’t done enough to finally get him out of the club.

If they start to protest too much – then what we’ve seen with protests is they never turn out well and sooner or later the team starts to suffer.

That happens in our relegation year back when Kevin had left the club in September 2008.

It’s a difficult situation.

There’s nothing wrong with demonstrating for the removal of Ashley but when it gets to St. James’ Park before a game or we hear the chants coming up during a game – that’s going to do nothing to help our players on the field.

Mike Ashley at the Leicester City game

We think Rafa would say the same thing.

It’s going to be harder than last year because Mike Ashley has decided – presumably out of the blue – to start to attend matches again.

With the owner in attendance, it’s going to be that much more difficult for fans not to start up chants against Ashley.

Somehow there has to be a middle ground.

What we liked earlier this season was demonstrating in Northumberland St. outside the Sports Direct shop before each home game.

Then when in St. James’ Park – as Rafa has requested – it’s all about supporting the team.

We somehow have to get back to that.

Boycotting games is a fool’s errand – who suffers?

The team and the players.

Mick Ashley couldn’t care less if fans boycott games.

Newcastle get the large percentage of their money these days from the Premier League TV rights – about £123M last season for finishing 10th.

And that amount and it will only rise as more countries (and continents) pay for the rights to televise the games.

I read the article in the Chronicle from Mark Douglas on what fans could do in the current situation – and put my own thoughts down in this article.

And we still think that by the end of this year we will be well clear of the relegation zone.

We may be completely nuts – but that’s what we think.

OK – we are completely nuts – but that’s what we think.

🙂

• lesh

Oct 16, 2018 at 1:39 PM

Repost from previous…..

dig-n-dig22 @39

Ffs, you just don’t or won’t get it. Rafa should not be banging on Ashley’s door for money – it should be the other way round with the owner having the ambition and drive to be successful!

Such an owner would have defined strategic and performance objectives against which progress and thus Rafa’s performance would be reviewed and assessed and plans made for the next stage – including which players are needed and how much would be needed with both parties working together for and during the next season.

As it stands, we have an owner whose focus is on Prem survival at as little cost and most profit as possible.

Ashley has the business mentality of a market trader intent on screwing as much out of his customers as possible. He makes Del Boy Trotter look like an angel.

Ps – Ed, can we have a five-minute warning of a new thread, please, well pleaseish

• Nostradamus the Geordie

Oct 16, 2018 at 1:43 PM

Agreed Ed, protesting at games only affects the players. The away fans love it when the Toon start this, it’s like they have the 12th man in the ground. Although honest away fans that know football also know MA is destroying our club when it comes to them getting three points they will not care for that 90 minutes. Someone wrote a little while ago that the share prices in SD dropped so much due to outside of ground protests and online attacking at SD. That is the way he gets hurt attacking money and losing it. After all he leaves the ground afterwards laughing as he is the one with the billionaire title. So I would ask all fans to back the team to the max, don’t give Ashley anything, singing his name at the ground although an attack on hit character only makes him feels warm and toasty as he jumps aboard his helicopter and flys away laughing.

• RobLeenio

Oct 16, 2018 at 1:52 PM

Ed “We think Rafa would say the same thing.” – pretty sure he has said the same thing already, at least once.

From Rafa, 24th August quoted in the Independent “All I say is when they come to the stadium they have to support the team because it’s the only way for us to be stronger. I have to respect them but concentrate on my job”

• Essex Geordie Bill

Oct 16, 2018 at 2:03 PM

Did

Don’t have an opinion mate, some twot will come out of the wood work and badmouth you.

I owned up to making a mistake, then get sh!te chucked at me.

Frankly at my time of life it aint worth the effort.

I’m a rock in the stream, ommmmmmmmmmm!

• mactoon

Oct 16, 2018 at 2:05 PM

Newcastle fans wont boycott a game, they want to watch their club no matter how badly it is run. But, hand out stickers at the ground to those that are going and ask them to put it over the front of their shirts saying

NO INVESTMENT
    ASHLEY IS KILLING OUR CLUB
    ASHLEY OUT

Then they can happily watch and support the team while protesting. The tv cameras for match of the day/BT Sports/Sky will pick it up and any empty seats. And while you are there cover the SD adverts pitch side with the same thing. There aren’t enough stewards to take them all down.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Oct 16, 2018 at 2:05 PM

Dig
    There you go another mistake, got your name wrong sorry.

• Sliema

Oct 16, 2018 at 2:07 PM

We obviously don’t have the bollox to boycott a match. Which is a shame. We probably don’t even have it in us to do a silent protest for 20 minutes like the Bremen fans.

But turning up and supporting the team,yet again, every time, 10 years into this madness, how can that be helpful?

• Essex Geordie Bill

Oct 16, 2018 at 2:08 PM

98 Hours 54 Minutes to KO

• RobLeenio

Oct 16, 2018 at 2:08 PM

Oh, and Ed, you may or may not be completely nuts, but I also think we’ll be clear of the relegation zone by the end of the year. We then have another tough run of fixtures, but then have a very decent run-in.

So, we could get up to mid-table, then fall back into a relegation spot then climb the table again. Rollercoaster time…

• RobLeenio

Oct 16, 2018 at 2:10 PM

Bill, it’s dig, not did, you tw0t.

FFS, you’d think you’d know better at your age….

😉

• Essex Geordie Bill

Oct 16, 2018 at 2:11 PM

Apparently Schaar had a good game for Switzerland.

• Jail for Ashley

Oct 16, 2018 at 2:12 PM

EGB,
    Don’t play the victim, you made out I was insulting expat toon fans and I wasn’t. My gripe with dig n dig had nothing at all to do with where he was from or where he lives and my post earlier explained that.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Oct 16, 2018 at 2:14 PM

Rob

Yeah I know see comment 6.

FFS there has to be some leeway for the blog aged ones. 🙂

• RobLeenio

Oct 16, 2018 at 2:14 PM

mactoon, great idea. Or a message saying “Fun88 are helping Ashley kill our club” – the sponsors will not like that one little bit, then they’ll get on Ashley’s back.

Good luck to the Stewards removing 52,000 shirt stickers. You’d have to be ‘creative’ taking them into the ground, but while a steward may ask you to turn out your pockets, none are going to check down your pants.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Oct 16, 2018 at 2:17 PM

Jail
    Then you have to insult me in your reply to him after I acknowledged my mistake, it’s you getting your knickers in a twist now.

Let it go and so will I.

• RobLeenio

Oct 16, 2018 at 2:17 PM

Bill, lol – I didn’t see you’d got that one in already. No flies on you….

• hibbit

Oct 16, 2018 at 2:20 PM

A QUESTION FOR THE FULL BLOG
    why do you think opinion on here is so divided between match going/local fans and the other posters on here ????

I’ve never come across anyone within the ground or the city who wants Rafa to leave.
    yet on here folk call for it every day !!!!!!!!

• Essex Geordie Bill

Oct 16, 2018 at 2:20 PM

Rob

Only in the really hot Summers. 🙂

• Rotonda heights

Oct 16, 2018 at 2:21 PM

nostradamus

with respect I don’t think so. Quite often in recent times we have had better results away from home because as we know the crowd can turn very quickly at home when things aren’t going well. On the road he pressure is off somewhat.

It’s got to the point where the whole thing is so toxic, an empty stadium in front of sky cameras would be absoluely massive and show that 52000 have finally had enough.

• Jail for Ashley

Oct 16, 2018 at 2:21 PM

EGB,
    You said after admitting your mistake that you thought my post was insulting to digndig. It wasn’t, please EGB don’t make out you were hard done by, You weren’t.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Oct 16, 2018 at 2:23 PM

hibbit
    Perhaps Ed ought to have a poll to see if there are any who want him to leave.

Although we would probably be inundated with a load of Mackem voters.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Oct 16, 2018 at 2:24 PM

OK jail, whatever, I really can’t be ars*d.

• NezzaNUFC

Oct 16, 2018 at 2:29 PM

Support the team, support the regime!

Sad but unfortunately true!

An old wise man once said “a grain of rice can unbalance the scales, and it can take that grain of rice to make everything crumble”

Mike has crumbled this club, what are you going to do about it!?

I started 9 years ago, gave up my tickets, stopped going to matches, never bought a Newcastle item associated with NUFC sports direct!

I’ve been saying for years on this blog and social media, it only takes 1 empty ground to get Mike to listen!

But as usual the North East is gullible and are waiting for the next response from Mike so you can hope for something different (11 years remember, yes 11 years and nowt has changed)

• Jail for Ashley

Oct 16, 2018 at 2:29 PM

EGB,
    No need to be like that, I’ve no gripe with you. Well except your match day countdown of course 😀

• Nostradamus the Geordie

Oct 16, 2018 at 2:31 PM

Rotanda but to dream, will never happen bud. 52000 fans, how many do you think that work there ass of all week would not want to go to watch there beloved team on a Saturday no matter what. Yes it’s toxic everywhere now days when it comes to our club, if by some miracle and I mean something that would be biblical, 52000 fans decided one day to show there total disgust in the running of the club didn’t go to a game shown on Sky, I would 100% be behind that.
    Would be funny seeing a few thousand away fans singing and only pinky and the brain sitting there like the two Ronnie’s.

• dig-n-dig22

Oct 16, 2018 at 2:33 PM

Hibbit 46 previous

I was watching the Man City v NUFC game in a Spanish bar about a month ago there was about half a dozen other NUFC other supporters watching the game ,we all agreed we hated Ashley but wee all agreed Rafa’s tactics had to change, also 4 fans at my Hotel had a similar opinion so I wouldn’t say I was that far out of touch.
    We are 8 games into the season and we have 2pts, that’s almost a 1/4 of the season gone . the excuse was that we had a run of tough fixtures, then we played Leicester that we thought was winnable , 1 45 yd shot on target all game.
    . We should realise that the way we play there are no easy games out there for us.

• Jail for Ashley

Oct 16, 2018 at 2:41 PM

Nostradamus the Geordie,
    A full boycott would get world wide attention but there are too many disagree. We’ve just had KK saying not to, Rafa is asking not to. What are we supposed to do???

• Jail for Ashley

Oct 16, 2018 at 2:43 PM

dig-n-dig22,
    And how many of you actually attended games?

• Jail for Ashley

Oct 16, 2018 at 2:45 PM

To put it out there I fully agree with a boycott. But unless it’s a mass event I will continue to go.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Oct 16, 2018 at 2:46 PM

Jail
    Ha, I thought that would get up your nose, OK countdown suspended, for now! 🙂

• toon22

Oct 16, 2018 at 2:46 PM

Hibbet

mackems or shills

• toon22

Oct 16, 2018 at 2:50 PM

Lots of ways to protest

Like the sticker idea,so long as it cover the shirt sponsor

We all saw what legnths he went to when the MPs got involved,might be a good path to go down

Protests that hurt the team are the last thing we need

I’m sure HOF would love a bit of Geordie lovin

• dig-n-dig22

Oct 16, 2018 at 2:51 PM

Essex
    I have an opinion mate and I voice it !

ps are you ok today?

• Nostradamus the Geordie

Oct 16, 2018 at 2:52 PM

The funny thing is, I feel nearly everyone on this blog wants the best for the club.
    A boycott of one high profile game would be amazing, I watched the England v Croatia game the other night and it was eerie having no one at the ground. But sadly although it would have great impact I cannot see it happening. Just have to face facts, this is the life of a toon supporter until Ashley leaves our club.

• toon22

Oct 16, 2018 at 2:53 PM

He likes his PR
    He’s had his “mates” help him with that so it obviously bothers him

Maybe a nice big dose of terrible PR is required

• Ibizatoon

Oct 16, 2018 at 2:53 PM

Sorry to ruin the theory guys, but as someone who is neither local, doesn’t attend games, nor wants Rafa to go…I know full well of people who have an opinion on Rafa who are neither Mackems, nor shills.

Different priorities and perspective? You bet. I don’t agree with them, but don’t just discount their opinion due to where they’re from or are currently based. It means nothing within this discussion, imo.

If no one at the ground is calling for Rafa’s head, then that is excellent news. What’s everyone getting worked up about?

• toon22

Oct 16, 2018 at 2:55 PM

People read this a lot more than they post
    I’m not havin the bulk of people think it’s normal to love MA and think it’s Rafas fault

• toon22

Oct 16, 2018 at 2:57 PM

We just need to get creative at what would be MAs worst case PR
    We had the two fingured salute

Maybe we could get big stickers onto the entire crowd of it

• toon22

Oct 16, 2018 at 2:58 PM

Or maybe when they hold the cards up to show a picture at events

LoL

Couldn’t think of a better picture

• dig-n-dig22

Oct 16, 2018 at 2:58 PM

Jail 28

I don’t know but next time I will ask and report back . I just thought because they were in black and white I thought it was a gimmi