web analytics

It’s Difficult – But Fans Must Support The Team During Games – Forget About Ashley

Newcastle fans are in a very difficult position these days and they can’t win.

If they do nothing then they will be accused of allowing Mike Ashley to stay and some will say they haven’t done enough to finally get him out of the club.

If they start to protest too much – then what we’ve seen with protests is they never turn out well and sooner or later the team starts to suffer.

That happens in our relegation year back when Kevin had left the club in September 2008.

It’s a difficult situation.

There’s nothing wrong with demonstrating for the removal of Ashley but when it gets to St. James’ Park before a game or we hear the chants coming up during a game – that’s going to do nothing to help our players on the field.

Mike Ashley at the Leicester City game

We think Rafa would say the same thing.

It’s going to be harder than last year because Mike Ashley has decided – presumably out of the blue – to start to attend matches again.

With the owner in attendance, it’s going to be that much more difficult for fans not to start up chants against Ashley.

Somehow there has to be a middle ground.

What we liked earlier this season was demonstrating in Northumberland St. outside the Sports Direct shop before each home game.

Then when in St. James’ Park – as Rafa has requested – it’s all about supporting the team.

We somehow have to get back to that.

Boycotting games is a fool’s errand – who suffers?

The team and the players.

Mick Ashley couldn’t care less if fans boycott games.

Newcastle get the large percentage of their money these days from the Premier League TV rights – about £123M last season for finishing 10th.

And that amount and it will only rise as more countries (and continents) pay for the rights to televise the games.

I read the article in the Chronicle from Mark Douglas on what fans could do in the current situation – and put my own thoughts down in this article.

And we still think that by the end of this year we will be well clear of the relegation zone.

We may be completely nuts – but that’s what we think.

OK – we are completely nuts – but that’s what we think.

🙂

• toon22

Oct 16, 2018 at 2:58 PM

It’s never MAs fault

• Munster Mag

Oct 16, 2018 at 2:59 PM

Jail I agree re the boycott. If I lived in Newcastle I would look to join a boycott that would be televised. Let Simon Jordan anx co laugh at us when the glass behind them shows rows of empty seats. Odious orange Cnut.

• Ibizatoon

Oct 16, 2018 at 3:00 PM

toon22…Personally, I’m all for that. I like that you have somewhat altered the narrative as well, so that it isn’t just a constant spam of the same posts, something posters of the blog put to you. Fair play.

It’s a messy business, all I’m saying is I know full well you’ve called some people wrong.

I don’t agree with the view, but you have to accept that some people out there, with no other motive than wanting the best for NUFC, may have issues with Rafa.

Anyway, I love Rafa and if we’re talking fault, I don’t see the point in looking past Ashley.

• Jail for Ashley

Oct 16, 2018 at 3:06 PM

Ibiza,
    There are a few voicing opinions against him who go to games. The vast majority who also want rid of Ashley are behind Rafa. Can you explain the disparity?

• Essex Geordie Bill

Oct 16, 2018 at 3:08 PM

Jail
    I did put a smiley face on my lat comment to show I was joking, but they don’t show up on tablets or phones it would seem. ?
    Let’s see if this one does

• Jail for Ashley

Oct 16, 2018 at 3:08 PM

Munster,
    You’ve just narrowly got back on to my list of people invited to the box when I win the lottery.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Oct 16, 2018 at 3:09 PM

Nope!

• jimmygscot

Oct 16, 2018 at 3:16 PM

Scotland manager McLeish is under pressure having lost 6 of the last 8 games, blames playing “top teams” all sounds so familiar!

• Ibizatoon

Oct 16, 2018 at 3:16 PM

Jail…Just stepping into a meeting, will get back to you. Rushing, even nearly put a kiss on the end of this message!

• dig-n-dig22

Oct 16, 2018 at 3:26 PM

jail

What would be the point in sacking Rafa ? He just needs to change his tactics like he did at Old Traford and just hope it’s not too late.