web analytics

Don’t Buy All The Bad News About Rafa And The Players

It seems when you read the press these days it’s like the old times – it’s all ultra-negative.

Newcastle have made a shocking start to the season, and some journalists think that this poor form will continue and it’s curtains for Newcastle.

We will be a Championship club again when May rolls around.

We don’t think that will be the case and what we have to try to do is to keep positive during these difficult times and all the negative press being written about the club.

That’s much easier said then done – but if we allow those in the National press to get us down through their negativity, we could indeed be in trouble.

Pundit and former striker Chris Sutton

Here’s what former striker Chris Sutton has said about the situation with Rafa Benitez on BBC 5 Live’s Monday Night Club last night:

“Is Rafa Benitez getting the best out of this side? We know the answer, he isn’t.”

“It’s carnage at Newcastle because the fans only want one man to leave the club and that certainly is not Rafa Benitez – it’s Mike Ashley.

“I don’t think it’s going to get too much better for Newcastle this season. What was worrying were Rafa Benitez’s comments after the game; we will try and find three worse teams than us.”

“It’s hardly encouraging is it?”

“It’s negative, negative, negative. The season hasn’t started well, you feel it isn’t going to get much better and things don’t seem like they’re going to change.”

“And Mike Ashley cannot and will not – I say will not – should not – sack Rafa Benitez.”

It’s negative, negative, negative – yes with articles like this one being written it will be negative – give us a break – please.

We don’t understand Mike Ashley and how he thinks, but surely he will not sack Rafa before his contract is up in June.

That’s because it will cost the club £6M and the owner is all about money (and keeping it) and not much else.

The number one priority now is to somehow keep Newcastle in the Premier League, and after May other things will take care of themselves.

And yes that could mean Rafa leaving – now there’s something that would be really negative.

Let’s just make sure we give our full support to the manager and who knows Mr. Beneitez may even repay that faith in June.

We believe Rafa is good enough to save Newcastle again – even if it takes another miracle from our world-class manager.

• Online Guy

Oct 23, 2018 at 3:38 PM

With any serious head injury there is a need to keep the head still .

I’m no medic but learnt this down at Man City in the 70’s . Guy in the Kippax end standing near me got a dart in his head from either a Sunderland fan or a Man u fan .

Puzzled ? Match was 1973 at Maine road . Man City V Sunder*and FA CUP 3rd round .

Man Utd game called off and the Man Utd fans Joined the Mackems in abusing and violence against City fans ..it was Toxic.

• Online Guy

Oct 23, 2018 at 3:39 PM

Talking of Toxic , it was toxic on here yesterday you were all killing each other. I kept well away !

Never seen a day like it on Ed’s site!

Attacking each other . I can understand the frustrations and I put it down to Mike Ashley and the way he is killing the club and the fact he is showing no respect to what is to me a Religion .

He’s turning you against one another .

Divide and Conquer .

It’s working.

Oct 23, 2018 at 3:39 PM

Online…Not puzzling at all, good of you to finally admit you’re a mackem 😉

• Online Guy

Oct 23, 2018 at 3:39 PM

Ed , slow the bus down mate !

• posada

Oct 23, 2018 at 3:41 PM

You can’t really argue with those comments from Sutton.

Ed says the priority is to keep us in the Prem.
    For what, the same again next year.
    I understand his comment, but we were saying this 365 days ago.

• toon22

Oct 23, 2018 at 3:43 PM

Its a never ending cycle of fighting off religation with this owner

Dont think anybody at the club or the fans are up for it anymore

Fans of other teams seem to like it,such as Welshie etc

Im not going to put up with the lies and the greed anymore,dont think the team or the manager is eitehr

• beermonkey

Oct 23, 2018 at 3:45 PM

online

to be fair it was ok last night

Oct 23, 2018 at 3:45 PM

Online…This is an issue I’ve been thinking a lot about. I think part of the issue, on this blog anyway, is that there genuinely are some posters who have an issue with Rafa. They’ve been saying it fairly consistently.

I believe Ashleys PR team look for these real weaknesses and then play on them, rather than just make up stuff out of thin air. It all ties in with fractures, beliefs or hopes of the fan base.

We want Ashley out? Okay, tell them we’re trying to sell. Make fans efforts seem silly and futile. “Oh, you’re just turning off any potential buyers”.

• Online Guy

Oct 23, 2018 at 3:47 PM

Hi Ibiza!

A Mackem mate dragged me out of bed at six in the morning ..Haway , (as they say over there ), wa going down to Manchester. By the time I woke myself up we were in Leeds.

Sunder*land won the cup that year ..have to admit it bloody great cup final .

I was talking to Jimmy Montgomery 3 or so months back . Great bloke .

I was in my teens and watched Newcastle one week and Sunderl*and the next just to see the likes of Gordon Banks, Bonetti, Bobby Moore, George Best, Bobby Charlton ..at Roger Park , I was never there to support Sunder*and. ?

• Online Guy

Oct 23, 2018 at 3:51 PM

Roger Park ! Hahaha .

• Online Guy

Oct 23, 2018 at 3:51 PM

Back soon .

• Jib

Oct 23, 2018 at 3:52 PM

Roger Park
    ha ha ha
    keep your back firmly against the barriers
    😛

Oct 23, 2018 at 3:53 PM

Posada…I don’t get the PL fascination either. It’s not like it does us any favours in the long run.

Ashley doesn’t want to spend to make us an established, proper PL team. No one is going to buy an overvalued club, which is facing relegation. I shouldn’t say no one, but it’s far less likely.

People keep saying he wont sell if we get relegated, but he doesn’t sell when we’re in the PL either. The issue is probably in that he does spend to get promoted and then saddles the club with further debt. So i’m not saying we should be relegated to rid us of Ashley, but I really don’t get where the issue is with being relegated. It doesn’t really benefit the fans these days. We don’t attract (nor would we pay) for the best players anyway. More games on TV? Based on what fans say, that shouldn’t be a problem.

With the club out of the PL and costing him money, he should eventually get realistic and cut his losses, but do we as fans have the stomach for it, given their are no guarantees? I feel we’ve exhausted the current plan.

Online…Hi. It was just a little joke. The online guy doth protest too much, methinks 🙂

• toon22

Oct 23, 2018 at 3:53 PM

Cant hide from the HMRC forever

Undisclosed Payments

😉

• hibbit

Oct 23, 2018 at 3:55 PM

Ibizatoon
    why is this only happening on here,
    its not happening in the ground or in and around the city, and i’m not seeing it on other blogs,
    half a dozen posters at most are wreaking havoc on here with there personal agendas and personal hate for Rafa

Oct 23, 2018 at 4:01 PM

hibbit…I can’t answer about in ground, I have a half theory, but it’s not based on facts and would probably just piss people off.

For a second, we need to take some of the extremes out of the equation. Catchy has always hated Rafa. He goes quieter when we do well, as he has no basis for an argument.

There have however been some fans, who I don’t think have an agenda against Rafa, but have been less than impressed by him. They’ve been shot down for months, which I think is part of the reason for some of the issues on here.

I don’t spend a lot of time on other blogs, but have seen articles at the bottom of chronicle and mag pieces that aren’t singing Rafa’s praises. Not as bad on here though, but I don’t know any other blogs of NUFC that do generate as much traffic as this one.

I do question though, if it’s not in ground or anywhere else, and is just half a dozen on here, why people are getting so worked up over it? My guess is that it’s not quite that small of an issue.

All i’d say is no one has silenced the few critics on here, in fact, they’ve been made more head strong to make their point and they are, given our current slide, gathering more followers and there appear to be more people starting to go down that line of thinking.

Accepting Rafa’s shortfalls, but debating what we think are bigger issues is surely a better way forward than just trying to shout people down or calling them names? I get some of them throw the same name calling around too, but come on, if we’re to think they’re deluded morons as if often said, why is everyone so keen to sink to that level?

Frustration I understand.

Oct 23, 2018 at 4:05 PM

Hibbit…I’ve been talking to some people off of the blog to try and gain a better understanding. They appear to be not as fussed about Ashley as me, and I’ve been trying to work out why.

What I’ve come up with is that some don’t think we can do anything about Ashley, especially from a blog like this. There isn’t any love for Ashley from them, they just believe a manager should go about his business or walk. Granted, this is typically with fans who are not based in Newcastle, but it’s not exclusively so.

I get the frustration. It’s like they’re missing a step in the process. The manager cannot manage when the owner moves the goal posts. The only thing I know is that no one is changing stances by being branded not a true fan or constant bickering.

• Bambams

Oct 23, 2018 at 4:05 PM

I see Neil Redfearn has left Newcastle…That was a short visit.

Allegedly ‘a rival team’ offered more of a long term contract and he has gone. It’s suggested he went where there was an offer of more long term security.

Oct 23, 2018 at 4:06 PM

Sorry, I didn’t feel the first post was quite long enough 🙂

• toon22

Oct 23, 2018 at 4:06 PM

Its simple enough

You cant defend MA directly,so you have to shift the blame

😉

Found this

Welcome to Eacotts
    Giving You the Freedom to Create, Build and Retain Wealth

They seem to have a connection to Mash Holdings Limited

Im thinking this might be where the money went

• beermonkey

Oct 23, 2018 at 4:12 PM

bambams

just when the under 23s were doing well

Oct 23, 2018 at 4:20 PM

See you later Neil, thanks for the memory!

• Bambams

Oct 23, 2018 at 4:21 PM

Beer

I know it’s just been reported and we don’t know the reasons or which other club….but it’s a bit damning for a club the size of Newcastle that he has up and left so quickly.

I hope it’s to one of the top 6 clubs….

• Jib

Oct 23, 2018 at 4:24 PM

Ibiza
    You are making a basic mistake
    You are assuming that every blogger
    has the same level of footy knowledge
    insight and nous – this is clearly not the case.
    Anyone who knows their footy can see what
    Rafa brings to the table in terms of team spirit
    effort and tactics.
    he has truly worked miracles at times
    But certain posters on here make all their
    judgements on statistics and sometimes
    even venture an opinion on a game never
    having seen it !!!!!

• Jib

Oct 23, 2018 at 4:29 PM

Neil Redfearn left coaching Liverpool ladies
    after only one League game there earlier this season

He clearly has itchy feet

Oct 23, 2018 at 4:30 PM

Jib…That is what I’m talking about. Some people, who know football, are not fans of Rafas approach. Not because it isn’t effective, but it goes against their footballing ethos.

I don’t think you’re understanding my point. I don’t believe all bloggers have the same level of knowledge on football, or other matters, but to make that the reason why they don’t support Rafa is foolish and doesn’t help the discussion, imo.

• Online Guy

Oct 23, 2018 at 4:31 PM

Ibiza

Knew you were Joking !

Oct 23, 2018 at 4:31 PM

It says in the article that he had wanted a short term arrangement with NUFC, in case a longer term project came up for him.

That appears to be what’s happened here. Not sure there’s much to see.

• posada

Oct 23, 2018 at 4:31 PM

Jib
    He’s working miracles is he.
    No more so than Wagner or Hughton.
    2 points from 27.
    What miracle is that – the disappearing points trick ?

Oct 23, 2018 at 4:32 PM

Online…Really? Usually Mackems don’t. Hope all’s well.

• Jib

Oct 23, 2018 at 4:32 PM

Ibiza
    but to make that the reason why they don’t support Rafa is foolish

I do try not to be foolish

sorry

• beermonkey

Oct 23, 2018 at 4:33 PM

bambams

here is hoping the upturn in the under 23s is down to dawson

• Optimistic Panda

Oct 23, 2018 at 4:33 PM

Can’t blame him for leaving..

He probably looked at the facilities looked at how Rafa is tied in knots and thought the job will pay my mortgage until something comes up.

Good luck to him. Hope he hasn’t persuaded a few of the youngins to follow suit.

Ashley will be happy, paves the way for Beardsleys return..

Oct 23, 2018 at 4:33 PM

Posada..Jib does say he’s worked miracles at times. I don’t think he’s referring to this seasons point tally, is he?

Arguing what people haven’t said must count for a fair share of the arguments on here.

• Online Guy

Oct 23, 2018 at 4:34 PM

Jib

Mind I stayed at the back when we took the Fulwell many a time ..I say we but I was just watching the boot boys , kept well out of the way .

The Violence was bad .

A Freudian slip ! Roger !

Many a true word….

Oct 23, 2018 at 4:36 PM

Jib…Don’t we all.

I doubt you are sorry, do you think there is any merit to what I wrote?

• Online Guy

Oct 23, 2018 at 4:36 PM

Jib

How’s the Bayeux Tapestry coming on ?

• Jib

Oct 23, 2018 at 4:39 PM

Poasada
    Nobody is claiming he is currently working his magic

There’s these parts of grammar in English called tenses

I said
    “he has truly worked miracles at times”

that’s called the past tense

You said
    “Jib
    He’s working miracles is he.”

That is the present participle
    Do you see ?

Don’t thank me for the English lesson btw

• RobLeenio

Oct 23, 2018 at 4:39 PM

Neil Redfearn is not a reserve team manager or youth team coach, nor is he a ladies team coach. His experience is in 1st team coaching and club management. I was surprised when I saw him taking a role as second fiddle to Ben Dawson. I think he’s just getting his name out there, gathering experience, probably agitating for a lucrative move to a club abroad.

So long and thanks for all the fish…

1 2 3 5