web analytics

Strange Comments From Newcastle’s January Transfer Target

Atlanta beat Portland in the final of the MLS playoffs last night by a score of 2-0 to win the MLS Cup.

It’s amazing what the Atlanta club has done because this is only their second season in the MLS.

Atlanta United were established as an expansion franchise back in 2014 under the ownership of Arthur Blank, the Home Depot co-founder, and Atlanta Falcons owner.

So to win the MLS Cup in their second season in the MLS is terrific.

But a rather strange comment from Newcastle target Miguel Almiron after the game was that he has vowed to return to Atlanta United for pre-season training and that usually starts in late January.

That’s even though Newcastle and some other top clubs want to sign him in the January transfer window.

Miguel Almiron – last night after Atlanta won the MLS Cup

Miguel had an assist on the first goal last night with a free kick and he said this as reported in GOAL.com after the game:

“I’m coming back in pre-season.” “When I got to Atlanta I didn’t think we would enjoy all this.”

“It’s beautiful what I’ve lived here, and what I am living here. More for the people, you feel the love. I want to thank them for that.”

34-year-old former Aston Villa and Middlesbrough goalkeeper Brad Guzan is now in the nets for Atlanta and he talked about his team-mate after the game on the MLS website:

“His legacy, his impact on the game and on the city is huge,”

“Whatever happens with Miguel, we wish him all the best. He has been a fantastic servant of this club, of the city.

“He deserves everything that he is going to get going forward in his career on an individual basis.”

“I couldn’t be happier for him – if this is the end for him – to be able to send him off as a champion.”

Head of Recruitment Steve Nickson is over in Atlanta now trying to do a deal for Almiron.

If we are to sign him we have to hope it can happen quickly and not drag on and on like most Newcastle transfers under owner Mike Ashley.

How Will Newcastle Fare Against Wolves?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

To vote for Rafa for Manager of the Month go here and scroll to the very bottom of the page past the shortlist of the nominees where there is a table of the nominees and click on Rafa.

Here’s what we woke up to this morning in Raleigh, North Carolina.

• Bobbybee

Dec 9, 2018 at 2:55 PM

Got as far as Chilli Road to pick my mate up, so far so good! 🙂 Looking promising at least lmao.
    He’s finishing his scran but I can’t make it up those, stairs so waiting in the car. Time to get going and find my car park.
    Howay the lads, let’s go kick ass and move a bit clearer of relegation. Bring it on 🙂

• Mister Tuff

Dec 9, 2018 at 2:56 PM

Jib – I noted your insightful post about tactic/positions – in that Shelvey and Ki would play in front of the defence.

Wow – never noticed them do that before.
    Stick to Google and rugby and refrain from the tactics side – I still recall when you first came on here you described the goal line as the try line and a thrown in as a line out.

• DaveD1000

Dec 9, 2018 at 3:00 PM

• toon22

Dec 9, 2018 at 3:01 PM

I want MA out of our club by any legal means

If you can think of anything else I can do please sujest it lol

I have posted proof of people who protect the guy
    Obvious PR

And your claiming it is infact me that’s somehow doing what ??

Lmfao

• Essex Geordie Bill

Dec 9, 2018 at 3:03 PM

Jib
    I must admit that your closing line to Mister Tuff was over the top, you do at times ask for it.

No need for the nasty bits.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Dec 9, 2018 at 3:05 PM

Team
    Newcastle United: Martin Dúbravka; DeAndre Yedlin, Jamaal Lascelles, Federico Fernández, Ciaran Clark; Matt Ritchie, Mo Diamé, Ki Sung-yueng, Christian Atsu; Ayoze Pérez; Salomón Rondón.

Substitutes: Freddie Woodman, Javier Manquillo, Paul Dummett, Sean Longstaff, Kenedy, Yoshinori Mut?, Joselu.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Dec 9, 2018 at 3:05 PM

Have to go again, back soon I hope.

• Bianconeri

Dec 9, 2018 at 3:06 PM

toonbother will be on in a minute to slag Ritchie off as he’s back in the side,no Shelvey even on bench 🙁

• AncientC

Dec 9, 2018 at 3:07 PM

I thought it would be Ritchie and Atsu on the flanks, but still unsure which side they will. Ritchie on the left would be my preference.

• Asi Fish

Dec 9, 2018 at 3:09 PM

Taking the opportunity to comment whilst in work – 12Gb data for £170pm means I can’t afford to read the blog at home lol

Match day!!!! COME ON!!! Got a Wolves fan in the office so don’t let me have to face his smug grin tomorrow ha ha

That team looks alright. Toon Toon……HWTL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Mag :P

Dec 9, 2018 at 3:10 PM

Most likely:

________________Dubravka
    Yedlin_fernandez_Lascelles_Clark_Ritchie
    ______Atsu___Diame___Ki_____Perez
    ________________Rondon

• toonbrother

Dec 9, 2018 at 3:11 PM

No Ritchie
    Not even on the bench?
    Yeeeeeeessssss!!!

• Mag :P

Dec 9, 2018 at 3:12 PM

He’s in the first team lmao

• Vask

Dec 9, 2018 at 3:13 PM

Hate to be the bearer of bad news brother but….

• Jib

Dec 9, 2018 at 3:13 PM

Nah
    4 – 2 – 3 – 1

• AncientC

Dec 9, 2018 at 3:13 PM

I think it is 4-4-1-1 with Clark at LB. Guessing so, anyway.

• Hail Wor Ashley

Dec 9, 2018 at 3:15 PM

Happy with that, was my team aside from Perez/Muto, but that was a toss of the coin.

• AncientC

Dec 9, 2018 at 3:15 PM

From nufc.co.uk (Who have been known to be wrong before)

‘Martin Dúbravka continues in goal, with DeAndre Yedlin, Jamaal Lascelles, Federico Fernández and Clark at the back.

Ritchie, who was suspended for the midweek draw at Everton, comes back into the side on the right side of midfield, with Mo Diamé and Ki Sung-yueng in the middle and Christian Atsu on the left.

And Pérez is back in attack, where he will provide support for Salomón Rondón.’

Looks like 4 at the back.

• toonbrother

Dec 9, 2018 at 3:15 PM

Saw the wrong lineup
    Fs!
    Richie over kenedy at left wing back is crazy town
    Anyway I suppose Ritchie in defence is better than Ritchie in attack
    Also Rafa I don’t see any need for 5 at the back at home vs wolves
    This is way too defensive

• AncientC

Dec 9, 2018 at 3:16 PM

Wolves: Patricio, Vinagre, Boly, Coady (c), Bennett, Doherty, Saiss, Neves, Costa, Diogo J. Adama.
    (3-4-3)
    Subs: Ruddy, Cavaliero, Raul, Gibbs-White, Moutinho, Dendoncker, Bonatini.

• RUNAWAY777

Dec 9, 2018 at 3:17 PM

How does perez get a start in front of muto ffs but knew perez would be in the starting 11

• bettyswallocks

Dec 9, 2018 at 3:17 PM

Aye toonbotherer…… They can be quite confusing to read those team sheets.

• Hail Wor Ashley

Dec 9, 2018 at 3:19 PM

Nah, can’t see Rafa changing formation again and he is comfy with Ritchie at LWB, played well there recently.

He and Yedlin providing width with Atsu and Perez tucked slightly inside and allowed a bit of freedom.

__________________Dubs________________
    _____Fernandez____Lascelles____Clark
    Yedlin_____________________________Ritchie
    ______________Diame____Ki
    ___Atsu________________________Perez
    __________________Rondon

• Jib

Dec 9, 2018 at 3:20 PM

Santos going with wing backs
    Vinagre, Boly, Coady (c), Bennett, Doherty

• toonbrother

Dec 9, 2018 at 3:20 PM

Ancientc if that is correct Rafa has officially lost it
    Atsu should start on the right wing
    He struggles on the left but is gold on the right Ritchie should not even be in the squad he’s trash

• Average_Contents

Dec 9, 2018 at 3:21 PM

ilovetoon8788
    Dec 9, 2018 at 2:06 PM
    in football manager 2019, I saw Newcastle beat Wolves 2-0.
    that’s the scoreline i’m going for today.

Newcastle 2 Wolves 0. As in the game, Ritchie & Rondon scored and Fernandez MoTm.

i’m going as I saw it in the game. lets see.

Wow. At least it’s not a 3,4,5-0 loss you’ve gone for so kudos for that ya mackem wum!

• Hail Wor Ashley

Dec 9, 2018 at 3:22 PM

Toon win today – 3-1.

• Jib

Dec 9, 2018 at 3:22 PM

I wonder if Shelvey’s non appearance
    has anything to do with Romain Saiss being
    in the Wolves team
    It was Saiss who got Jonjo the racism ban

• ilovetoon8788

Dec 9, 2018 at 3:22 PM

@average

Stfu you sad twat…

• Rowan

Dec 9, 2018 at 3:24 PM

Think I was (partly) right with my earlier prediction: 3 CBs with Clark coming in, wingbacks, Rondon up top on his own.

Have a 2-1 feeling. Not doing too well with my SuperSix this season though!

• Jib

Dec 9, 2018 at 3:24 PM

ilovetoon8788
    calling someone else a sad twat
    definition of irony

• BenArfa the magician

Dec 9, 2018 at 3:29 PM

Ritchie and Clark will be torn a new one today against Traore, they know we are weak down that side with no pace at all. I’m hoping for a 2 – 0 to us but more likely to them. They are more of a threat all over the pitch.

• Belfast

Dec 9, 2018 at 3:30 PM

Hahahaha. You can’t disagree with football manager like. So I’m going with 2-0 as well.

• Chancel be a fine thing

Dec 9, 2018 at 3:33 PM

I would be worried with Clark at left back against pacy attackers. I suspect 5 at the back, so when Ritchie is skinned there will be some cover.
    Nice to see ilovetoon predicting a win. Makes it feel like a special day

• ilovetoon8788

Dec 9, 2018 at 3:33 PM

@benarfa

traore is like Obertan and how he was for us. he’s all pace but very little intelligence and end product. hasn’t looked any good this season aside for a couple of good runs.

our defence will handle him easily.

• ronaldo aarons

Dec 9, 2018 at 3:33 PM

Think he might throw a curveball and have Ritchie lwb and Perez and atsu supporting rondon.

• Yorkfan

Dec 9, 2018 at 3:33 PM

I only ever read the comments and never post. I just thought I’d log on to say that in my humble opinion toon 22 is the blogs equivalent of a widowed old man just waiting to die. Give rest with your relentless negative BS. It doesn’t make for very interesting reading…..

• chicousa

Dec 9, 2018 at 3:35 PM

No Shelvey or Murphy today. Odd.

Might very well see Longstaff make an EPL appearance today…

• ronaldo aarons

Dec 9, 2018 at 3:36 PM

I rate Costa for them. Proper pain in the backside to play against him.