web analytics

Kevin Mbabu Admits Moving To Newcastle So Young Was Not A Good Choice

17-year-old Kevin Mbabu was a top young Swiss player when we signed him back in January 2013 on a three-and-a-half-year contract, and he was assigned to the Development squad.

But in his time at Newcastle, he was nearly always injured, and he thinks his body was not ready for what he calls the intensity of the Newcastle training.

In retrospect, he thinks it was a mistake to join Newcastle, and he played only five times for the first team before he found his feet again at Young Boys on loan starting in August 2016.

Kevin Mbabu – continues to play well for Young Boys

This is some of what he has said in Neue Zürcher Zeitung:

“I wasn’t even 18, and left Servette for Newcastle.”

“I also rejected Arsenal. England was not a success for me, but I learned a lot there.”

“The experience of that time is part of what has become of me. The experience of the past is part of me.”

“The choice of Newcastle was not very good. But it helps me today. Mentally, I was tested enormously.”

“I was injured in England for almost two of the three and a half years, and I had muscle problems all the time. Six, seven injuries.”

“Physically, my body was not ready for the intensity in Newcastle training.”

“I did not have the best lifestyle and was too busy with too many things.”

“These can be reasons for injuries.” “Today I try not to repeat the mistakes.”

“Development shows me that I am not on the wrong track.”

“My dream is to return to the Premier League.” “But in life, sometimes it does not work the way you want.”

“Every way is different.”

Kevin made his debut for Switzerland on September 8 of this year when he started in the 2018–2019 UEFA Nations League match against Iceland.

He certainly seems a sensible lad and admits that he has used his experience at Newcastle, where he really seemed injury prone, and Rafa let him leave the club in the summer of last year.

Kevin had played really well on loan at Young Boys in the 2016-2017 season, and he has continued that form this season and is now interesting some big clubs in England.

He seems to be one player who got away.

But we wish him success in his football career and could see him back in the Premier League soon.

What do you think?

• Essex Geordie Bill

Dec 12, 2018 at 3:15 PM

Regarding the Japanese kid on previous thread, another good buy for the U23s but unlikely to get 1st team games and as for Mbabu it’s a pity he wasn’t here with Ben Dawson in charge, they don’t seem to get a lot of injuries.

• martoon

Dec 12, 2018 at 3:20 PM

“I did not have the best lifestyle and was too busy with too many things.”

That translates to ‘most nights I was out chasing women’ 😀

• G

Dec 12, 2018 at 3:33 PM

martoon @ 2, as we all were at that age mate.

• RobLeenio

Dec 12, 2018 at 3:39 PM

Didn’t Mbabu make some less than positive headlines with either Aarons or Ranger? Can’t quite remember now.

On Almiron, some on Twitter are making a thing about his Instagram video being filmed with a black and white filter.

If he really is on his way, this is the kind of statement signing we’ve been after for years and to snaffle him from under the noses of other Premier League teams will be something of a coup.

I’d love to know if this is Ashley’s work – can’t see it, like. All fuel for various fires….

• martoon

Dec 12, 2018 at 3:40 PM

G – Only weekends but not on a school night 😉

• martoon

Dec 12, 2018 at 3:44 PM

RobLeenio @4 – His name was brought up in some rape trial (he was NOT the accused) when him and Aarons were supposedly both in bed with some girl – I can’t remember the exact details but I would imagine Rafa would not be impressed they we even there – could be why they never featured since!

• ToonRich

Dec 12, 2018 at 3:45 PM

“Next Stop?!”…please santa, bring us a paraguyan magician!!!

• RobLeenio

Dec 12, 2018 at 3:45 PM

martoon, yeah I thought it was something along those lines – no suggestion they were doing anything wrong, but sailing close to the wind in any case….

• martoon