web analytics

This Player Below Par At The Moment – But There’s A Reason

If we are to start to pull away from the bottom of the league table as we did last year around this time – then we need to have on-loan winger Kenedy performing his magic on the left wing – like last season.

That hasn’t happened too much this season, but we expect Rafa Benitez to start getting the very best out of the Brazilian U23 International as this season progresses.

Kenedy had a poor start to the season when in stoppage time in the second game at Cardiff City he missed a penalty that could have been our first win of the season.

Instead, we had to wait until our 11th game at home to Watford before we got our first win – so that has to have affected the 22-year-old.

Kenedy and Rafa Benitez shown last season

As we reported this morning Rafa playing three center-backs has also forced Kenedy to play as a wingback, and it’s been difficult for him to adjust his attacking game to that new formation.

Rafa has admitted today in the Chronicle today that Kenedy is nowhere near his best form and was asked if the lad is suffering from a lack of confidence:

“No, I think he knows that he is not playing at the level he can play,”

“But don’t forget that he is an offensive player who we are playing as a wing-back in a defensive formation when sometimes he was defending two against one.”

“So we have to think that he has to adjust, he has to learn, and these kinds of games will be a good experience for him.”

Rafa makes a point of teaching his players about the game and what to do under various different circumstances.

The young Brazilian listens carefully to Rafa, and we are confident we’ll see Kenedy close to his best form soon.

That’s our hope in any case.

🙂

• Nostra Magpie

Dec 18, 2018 at 3:05 PM

Wasn’t really a shock Mourinho sacked by Man U, when you leave 135 mIllion sitting on the bench against one of your big rivals. Trust me he ain’t coming here if Ashley is still owner, imagine Jose going into Ashley’s office and saying he wants 65 Mollion for one player and 45 Million for another. Hopefully sale goes through and Rafa then decides to stay.

• jayphoto

Dec 18, 2018 at 3:09 PM

serious question, based on so far this season, we’re only allowed 2 domestic loans, Rueben Loftus-Cheek is probably going out on loan in January. Would anyone cancel Kenedys loan if it meant bringing in RLC?

• martoon

Dec 18, 2018 at 3:12 PM

I know you can’t compare Mourinho & Pardew but they do seem to have the same effect on players. When they first go in the players love them and they get results. However eventually they seem to ‘p’ off the players and then the players seem to turn against them and the results slide. The managers are then sacked with a nice wedge in their back pocket!

• c-dog

Dec 18, 2018 at 3:12 PM

Get rid to get in is not an option. Our squad(center backs excluded) is too thin

• jayphoto

Dec 18, 2018 at 3:16 PM

Mourinho, is a manager like Rafa that was once world class, but the game has moved on and slightly left his style behind. The game evolves, and just the way managers like Wenger replaced the George Grahams at the top, the more tactical defensive minded managers like Rafa and Jose replaced the attack minded Wenger and Fergie and now the high energy mega pressing managers like Pocc, pep and Klopp have replaced Jose and Rafa at the very top level. Doesn’t mean that Jose can’t emulate Rafa in a top league with a big club, hes tactically worlds apart from 90% of managers in the same way Rafa is but his style without evolving rules him out of being classed in that top 5-8 managers in the world and I think his days of managing the favourites to titles and winning european clubs are behind him.

• c-dog

Dec 18, 2018 at 3:19 PM

High intensity and high press, you said it.
    But to get players capable of playing in such a way requires investment. You need players who are physically capable of running more without sacrificing their technical ability with the ball to do so.

• jayphoto

Dec 18, 2018 at 3:23 PM

@c-dog I think alot of it is having players that know when to press and when to sit. Difference between Peps first season at man city and 2nd season at man city was that! Players like Silva and Silva don’t bust a gut running 15 miles a game but they know when to press as a unit, its all about tactical intelligence on the field. Think thats why Rafa rates Perez so highly but unfortunately hes isnt gifted with technical ability of those at Man City.

• lesh

Dec 18, 2018 at 3:24 PM

Nostra

And when Mourinho finds out that Ashley’s idea that a transfer budget is to cover incoming player wages as well the fee and other necessary incidentals……….

As Mourino reacts to that news…….. ‘Ah, ok Mr Ashley, I always thought that every other club I’ve been to overspent on players. That’s why they’ll never be successful and wealthy’

• Charlie in the Gallowgate

Dec 18, 2018 at 3:26 PM

Question
    I know it is a long way out but with the Toon losing two players to the Asian Cup
    How will the 2021-22 season pan out with the World Cup being held in January February in Quatar???

• jayphoto

Dec 18, 2018 at 3:27 PM

My only negative really with Rafa is that under him we’ll never really have that magician that makes us shake our head in wonder. Always enjoyed those players, Ginola, Robert, Ben Arfa are the 3 that come to mind (odd their all french) that could just do something from nothing. I think even given the money Pep has had Rafa would never gravitate towards such flair players.. I think he’d be successful but i could see it being more in the way Simeone has been successful with the same style we play now but just massive upgrades

• martoon

Dec 18, 2018 at 3:28 PM

jayphoto @5 – I think you’ve summed it up well – mind you I’d like to see Mourinho do any better with our squad than Rafa.

• jayphoto

Dec 18, 2018 at 3:30 PM

@charlie – won’t it be in the 2022-23 season? My guess is start season 2 weeks early, remove an international break and finish in june?
    Id bet my life the season after it you get some odd title challengers and league positions though because its really going to take a toll on top 4 teams players

• Dondatta13

Dec 18, 2018 at 3:33 PM

Why would a football man (Kenyon) approach the PL informally. What purpose does that serve? Surely they know enough about each other? Just get the deal done and then go through that process officially.

• hibbit

Dec 18, 2018 at 3:39 PM

possibly because Kenyon would not be the new owner,
    only ceo/ running the club and fronting someone else’s money

• Frank pingles come sock

Dec 18, 2018 at 3:43 PM

Lesh – …..I dont think by me saying that Steve Harper has heard that….. ‘its looking good’ will scupper anything.

Others like Pete Graves have said the same.

• c-dog

Dec 18, 2018 at 3:44 PM

I don’t think Spurs have a magician like those mentioned above. Kane is obviously and incredible goal scorer. Eriksen a technical genius and the real heart beat of their team. But I’d bet these guys couple that with phenomenal distances covered week in week out. That’s why they are valued so highly.

• Online Guy

Dec 18, 2018 at 3:54 PM

Nufc-83

You accuse this one of taking over your account and posting things in your name .

I would not know how to do that and don’t want to know how..

I could soon learn how to do it as it can’t be as difficult as hand shaking protocol between transceivers and terminal node controllers within data communications .

But as it stands I don’t know how to take over your account and post things in your name as you say I did

Can you now retract your Lie ?

• beermonkey

Dec 18, 2018 at 4:00 PM

online guy

are we gonna get you scoop today

• Mag :P

Dec 18, 2018 at 4:00 PM

Clocks ticking…

• Optimistic Panda

Dec 18, 2018 at 4:01 PM

New blog rule

Only 1 ITK per day

• Optimistic Panda

Dec 18, 2018 at 4:02 PM

Elvis says Boxing day

• Munster Mag

Dec 18, 2018 at 4:02 PM

Jay photo I completely agree with your assessment of rafa and mourinho. But I hope jail and tsunki don’t read that fair and balanced assessment or they will be cross. As with arsenal, if man u gave rafa the gig there would be a massive fan backlash. They will have to go for a younger, attack orientated manager. Isn’t that right Jail? Doesn’t mean rafa doesent suit us- he does – but he is no longer at the upper echelons of European managers now. That’s why he is likely to stay – because in England he is only likely to get jobs with mid table clubs – and because he probably believes Fats will be gone by the summer.

• Charlie in the Gallowgate

Dec 18, 2018 at 4:02 PM

Jay
    My apologies you are right it will be the 22-23 season as the games are from the 19th of November to 22 nd December
    So will that be s three month break
    November to prepare for World Cup
    December World Cup
    January to recover – holiday for players
    Going to be a strange season

• c-dog

Dec 18, 2018 at 4:03 PM

There’s actually people discussing real football here lads. Not some fantasy takeover tale conjured up by the likes of George R.R. Martin. Move along.

• Belfast

Dec 18, 2018 at 4:03 PM

I see Ole Gunnar Solsjkar is one of the names in the frame for the caretaker role lol

• Optimistic Panda

Dec 18, 2018 at 4:04 PM

Belfast..

Does that mean catchy will be leaving us?

• Mattroge

Dec 18, 2018 at 4:05 PM

Online Guy is becoming less credible- debatable as to how credible you can actually be posting anonymously online- the more you read. Take a break fella, you seem unhinged.

• Online Guy

Dec 18, 2018 at 4:05 PM

Frank Pringle

Spot on up to date. It’s all coming together.

I said I will divulge last week today Tuesday and I meant it . Today.

Will post what I have later as promised ..Mind as I said last week it’s not the Coup de Grâce but it’s real.

I’m hoping Pete Graves shares it before me as my detractors are very abusive and divisive to Ed’s blog as it does put one off from ever mentioning anything .

Divisive , Adjective ,……………Tending to cause disagreement or hostility between people.

• RobLeenio

Dec 18, 2018 at 4:06 PM

Would the idea of an ‘informal’ approach be to say “We’re not formally informing you of our intention to buy this club, but it’s quite likely we will and will you please start the fit and proper person’s test?”

After all, surely that test is quite independent from any formal paperwork on club ownership as in you can’t have the ownership without the fit and proper person test, but you can have the test without being compelled to own.

This would help speed things along, I guess.

It may even indicate that Kenyon and his bid have entered that much-vaunted ‘period of exclusivity’.

• Munster Mag

Dec 18, 2018 at 4:08 PM

Martoon rafa suits us perfectly. I’d like to see him funded and then become a DOF in a few years and let him choose a successor. If the club has to become based on a counter attack template that’s fine even if its not what fans at other clubs would want.

• Munster Mag

Dec 18, 2018 at 4:10 PM

Work away OLG. Hoping for best.

• Optimistic Panda

Dec 18, 2018 at 4:10 PM

I’m the real ITK here!

I’m the only one who’s made up stuff came true, the rest of ya are all fakes!

• Online Guy

Dec 18, 2018 at 4:10 PM

Mattorage

Explain how I’m becoming less credible .

Clearly you praying that Newcastle United are not about to be sold to a massive Global enterprise with unlimited full ds as a Mackem tit.

New made up name ..are you nufc 83 the little waste of space Liar.

• Online Guy

Dec 18, 2018 at 4:12 PM

Munster like your work fella !

There’s some strange fkrs on here .

I can only think they are wired up wrong and they don’t know they are stupid and divisive .

Next.

• Belfast

Dec 18, 2018 at 4:12 PM

Haha. Aye maybe so.

• Shadow_Shearer

Dec 18, 2018 at 4:13 PM

OLG

Spill the beans, we all want to know. Screw the haters!!

• Online Guy

Dec 18, 2018 at 4:13 PM

Unlimited funds

#33

• Optimistic Panda

Dec 18, 2018 at 4:15 PM

It’ll be great to get some good news tonight.

I don’t trust that Elvis, I asked for a fish cake and got a cheese savoury.

Hard to trust him now

• Online Guy

Dec 18, 2018 at 4:16 PM

Shadow Shearer

It’s not definitive, but I did promise a freind that I would stick to time after an agreed evening slot.

• jimiley

Dec 18, 2018 at 4:17 PM

You must be crazy if you believe the owner will sell.
    Latest media is that Kenyon might not get the deal done before February buy would still willing to buy in the summer. And Mr Ashley fails to get any transfers over the line hahahaha.
    Now where have I heard that one last December????
    Kenyon is mates with Mike.
    Work it out guys.
    Biggest mistake was calling off the boycott. Keep the pressure on.
    How does a boycott affect a buyer in any event??? Surely it makes it easier to buy?

1 2 3 9