web analytics

Lots Of Positives With The Performance – But No Points

After the game yesterday Rafa sounded like he did a few times at the beginning of the season when the team played against top-six opposition, but in the end, we had nothing to show for it regarding points.

That must change if we are to avoid a second relegation in four years this May.

The top six are way above the rest of the teams in the Premier League, but we must start winning games against the other 14 teams.

Sean Longstaff – held his own against world-class opposition

But Rafa had to be pleased with some of the performances yesterday with young Sean Longstaff and the returning Florian Lejeune catching the eye.

This is what Rafa said after the game as reported in the Chronicle:

“You could see a lot of positives with the performance but no points.”

“We knew that they would keep the ball and we had to maximize what we did when we got the ball.”

“We had some chances on the counter but our final pass wasn’t there.”

“We conceded a goal we could avoid but after that we were fighting for every ball. These players care, you could see that.”

“We scored and then controlled the last few minutes of the first half so it’s a pity, but a piece of quality made the difference.”

“The work rate was there, and the understanding of the game plan and what we wanted to do was also there.”

“We had chances at corners and scored, but they started the second half pushing.”

“We were defending, but Willian made the difference. After that, we had to keep pushing, but normally you are getting tired.”

“We were still in the game, but we had to be more open sometimes and go higher.” “When we gave the ball away, they had the chance to play on the counter-attack.”

“When you talk about the names they have, and the quality and the pace, that is normal.”

“In the end, it was quite positive in terms of the things we did and the way that we did it.”

For Sean Longstaff to make his first Premier League start for the club at Stamford Bridge and play so well shows that this lad is destined for a great future on Tyneside.

And hopefully, he will have Rafa Benitez to guide him for the next few years as he becomes a top player at Newcastle.

Florian Lejeune made his first Premier League start of the season, and he looked class in this game.

The Frenchman can solidify the defense for the remaining games, and it coincides with when he came back in last season around this time, and we started to pull away from the bottom three.

We also need to keep more clean sheets to maximize the chances of winning games.

Newcastle are currently 4 points behind where we were last season at this time (after 22 games), but it’s nothing that a few wins cannot put right.

Who Was Newcastle's Best Player In Chelsea Defeat?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• Munster Mag

Jan 13, 2019 at 6:28 PM

But rafa isn’t pardew so that can’t be true 22. In the meantime man u might have a new manager sooner than we think. If he can convince them that he can build and implement a strategy to take on the top 2, he could be in.

• Munster Mag

Jan 13, 2019 at 6:29 PM

And catchy is gonna be firing the cannons. No ceasefire there.

• Munster Mag

Jan 13, 2019 at 6:30 PM

Ffs are you bunch of cissies washing dishes?? Who are ya, who are ya?? 🙂

• Jib

Jan 13, 2019 at 6:31 PM

• c-dog

Jan 13, 2019 at 6:33 PM

To get players worth watching we need a new owner

• Tsunki

Jan 13, 2019 at 6:36 PM

Geordietom I’m not sure it’s a hall you’d have to hire. When you’re ringing round I’d quote”battle arena” . Also ask about insurance. 🙂

• Munster Mag

Jan 13, 2019 at 6:37 PM

Jail, I’m in ceasefire mode. No provocation from you please. Myself and tsunki will be sínging ‘my old granny’ s got big hairy fanny’ and other intelligent rugby ditties if anyone of my nufc brothers cares to join us. If we get a takeover we are not leaving the bar, jib will lead the singsong, and even the various frogs can jump in. Jail can sing a ballad, written by an Irish man obviously (me) called ‘the jailing of the fat man’ and all will be well in the Toon.

• hibbit

Jan 13, 2019 at 6:37 PM

st james hall would have been canny !!!!!

• Bambams

Jan 13, 2019 at 6:39 PM

GeordieTom

Its been suggested on here a couple of times about a sess, problem is other than once finishing in the top 5 We have never had anything to celebrate (Championship champions I suppose)

But if we were to get new owners and finally rid of Ash ….well I would be all for it – we could even invite Ash and suggest it’s his leaving do !

• hibbit

Jan 13, 2019 at 6:39 PM

one or two of you might remember it !!!!!

• Munster Mag

Jan 13, 2019 at 6:39 PM

Jib dupravka was some signing for the money. Top marks to rafa and Nickson (?) or whoever studied him.

• Tsunki

Jan 13, 2019 at 6:40 PM

..then there’s the fire risk assessment, method statement, nearest Accident & Emergency, local Health & Safety contact, environmental dept, biohazard clean up equipment, armed response unit direct dial number, shipping container hire, Zorbing paraphernalia, box of Freddo’s….

• Tsunki

Jan 13, 2019 at 6:41 PM

I think a street party might be on the cards. I can imagine old Eldon Square after the cleanup, day four…

• Ron Knee

Jan 13, 2019 at 6:42 PM

We could get Chris Grayling to organise it – or maybe not.

• c-dog

Jan 13, 2019 at 6:46 PM

Munster

Jail is bringing you to the treaty stone to sign your surrender. Defeated by the English once again my friend.

• Rotonda heights

Jan 13, 2019 at 7:06 PM

I have got used to my poor 92 year old dad never seeing us win anything again, well at least he had the 50s cup wins, but at 57 i wonder if i will ever see it too.

Its funny wenger never had arsenal lower than 4th in 20 years. Martinez on way less money than silva had everton 5th. When rafa finally has had enough of ashleys khazi we could only dream of those 2 coming anywhere near us.

• Munster Mag

Jan 13, 2019 at 7:13 PM

C Dog, defeated by the English? Purlease I’m in ceasefire mode so I’ll spare you a history lesson.

• Nostra Magpie

Jan 13, 2019 at 7:15 PM

It’s driving me crazy MA on how he is screwing up our club. Here are some quotes from MA.

Yes, I do have remorse, but I’m not even sure myself whether it is as profound as it should be. I’ve always wondered myself why I don’t feel more remorse.”

“I was completely swept along with my own compulsion. I don’t know how else to put it. It didn’t satisfy me completely, so maybe I was thinking, ‘Maybe another one will. Maybe this one will.’ And the numbers started growing and growing and just got out of control, as you can see.”

Ok, just to put this into perspective these are actually quotes from serial killer Jeffrey Dahmer, but honestly I feel MA is a bigger serial killer also killing everything in our club.

• West Lancs Geordie

Jan 13, 2019 at 7:16 PM

Before you do anything else Tsunki you’ve got to get rid of all signs of Toxic Ash.

• c-dog

Jan 13, 2019 at 7:26 PM

Munster

I’m only pulling your leg

• Munster Mag

Jan 13, 2019 at 7:30 PM

Ashley’s pulling both our legs c dog. I actually thought he wud spend, with a season in the prem under our belt. Silly me.

• West Lancs Geordie

Jan 13, 2019 at 7:32 PM

Well guess who Richard Keys supports.?

F…ing BARNET!

So he’s an authority to criticise Toon supporters & Rafa hasn’t he?

• Munster Mag

Jan 13, 2019 at 7:33 PM

I know rafa can be Conservative, even against poor teams, but I’d be genuinely happy tomorrow if he signed up, happier if Ash just gave him 3 players now, even on loan. The contract can wait.

• jane

Jan 13, 2019 at 7:35 PM

“but honestly I feel MA is a bigger serial killer also killing everything in our club.”

what an absolutely stupid comparison. you need to re-evaluate what you’ve posted here.

• Munster Mag

Jan 13, 2019 at 7:35 PM

Two speedy foreign wingers and someone like iheanacho. Yes pleeeeease.

• c-dog

Jan 13, 2019 at 7:44 PM

jane
    Jan 13, 2019 at 7:35 PM

Very quick to go on the defensive as per usual

• Online Guy

Jan 13, 2019 at 7:44 PM

We need a statement from Ashley camp this week ..or good news.

Money was met and if it goes tits up it WILL be Ash to blame ..possibly wanting the Merchandising, the pouring rights and 50% advertising space around the ground .

Any prospective buyer would balk at that , it would mean Ashley reaping the benefits of owning a football club without owning it .

Who knows, good news might be just around the corner.

Fingers and toes crossed.

• SPRINGY

Jan 13, 2019 at 7:45 PM

Good to see longstaff play…and play well…shame about the result, thought we were patchy,some good,some bad but overall had chances,but as its been all season the quality isn’t there to finish,so we pick ourselves up,dust ourselves off…and start again….we need to put a performance in at home… confidence,attacking,pressure….only the players can sort that out..step up lads and take cardiff apart.

• SPRINGY

Jan 13, 2019 at 7:47 PM

Online
    Silence is golden for ashley….no news on takeover,transfers,money available…nowt….just the way he likes it… u’ll hear nowt till the window shuts and he’ll call them tyre kickers again.

• jane

Jan 13, 2019 at 7:56 PM

“Very quick to go on the defensive as per usual”

likewise but look what you are defending!

• Online Guy

Jan 13, 2019 at 7:59 PM

What I can’t fathom is the fact that Amanda Stavely offered a Full £250 million in cash on the table and Ashley rubbished that Lady in the media.

So according to the Sun, Kenyon is 100 million short and looking for investors . Ash said he’s best fit yet has not got the money Stavely had ? Somethings not right .

Here’s my take on it , the hacks have put 2 and 2 together made eleventeen…

Kenyon has just gave a chance to one or two or three 4 even Well known Newcastle Fans the chance to come on board . That’s all it is.

Hacks love to see uz suffer.

Don’t forget Ash said there are four people vying to buy us 4! ..he’s in a tight corner now .sweating beads if he’s up to his old tricks .

I know of one more entity who met the criteria for Ash, not just Kenyon.

Anyone wants to have a pop ? I’m just trying to share with you .

That’s it lads that’s all Iv got as of today.

Money was met over a month back , it’s only Ashley can mess it up …I don’t think he will ,

wishfull thinking.

• bill

Jan 13, 2019 at 8:00 PM

Ashley’s behaviour has all the hall marks of a psychopath. This is a shortened list of his traits:

pathological lying.
    glib and superficial charm.
    grandiose sense of self.
    need for stimulation.
    cunning and manipulative.
    lack of remorse or guilt.
    shallow emotional response.
    callousness and lack of empathy.

Sounds just like Mike Ashley to me.

• jane

Jan 13, 2019 at 8:03 PM

bill i think that’s what Nostra Magpie was probably trying to say.

• bill

Jan 13, 2019 at 8:05 PM

Nail and head springs to mind.

• jane

Jan 13, 2019 at 8:07 PM

probably applies to some on the blog too.

• Online Guy

Jan 13, 2019 at 8:08 PM

Springy ,

if he moves the goalposts this time round we can deduce that he has no heart for us and no shame . Morally Bankrupt.

We know this much ..he is trying to sell , he is in talks , it is on going, it’s just all down to him and not being greedy .

Why can’t he just walk away at parity? Get his money back , no profit ? Give us back our club ?

Where’s the goodwill in the deal ?

• Online Guy

Jan 13, 2019 at 8:11 PM

Jane 115

LOL. Spot on.

• bill

Jan 13, 2019 at 8:12 PM

I wouldn’t say that Jane. Some people just have more respect for other peoples opinions than others. I have been around long enough to understand that we all have different opinions.

• SPRINGY

Jan 13, 2019 at 8:12 PM

Online
    Good will!!!!….he wouldn’t know it if ran him over…..bet it goes tits up once the window shuts

• jane