web analytics

Positive News – These Two Rare Starters Were Newcastle Best Players At Chelsea

We were so impressed with the way Sean Longstaff played and handled himself in his first Premier League start at Stamford Bridge on Saturday.

Jonjo Shelvey is having problems with his thigh injury but the way the local lad played with discipline and skill in the middle of the park on Saturday surely means he will get more games for Newcastle this season.

On the good form he showed against the very expensive Chelsea players he deserves to.

Sean is narrowly second in our poll to another player who was making his first Premier League start – this time for the season.

Sean Longstaff – played extremely well in his first PL start

Florian Lejeune is pure class and played on Saturday as though he had never been away from the first team this season.

But he has recovered well from a severe ACL knee injury he picked up in training in late July.

During the recovery, the center-back worked his socks off to get fit as soon as possible and in doing so he showed the fans what an excellent character and temperament he has.

So these two players were our best players at Chelsea followed by Martin Dubravka who had a solid game in goal for the Magpies.

Let’s hope that Lejeune can make a difference at the back and 21-year-old Longstaff will get more playing time through the end of the season.

Hopefully, they can help us survive in what is another tough season for Rafa and the players.

Who Was Newcastle's Best Player In Chelsea Defeat?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• Novocastrian66

Jan 14, 2019 at 12:19 PM

Don’t confuse Jake Humphries cross examination of Ferdinand’s opinions as support for Newcastle United supporters.
    He was playing devil’s advocate and he would have questioned anyone who was sitting there having a go at Ashley.
    I’ve stated before that we, as a group of supporters, should boycott Sky sports. I would not have a problem of adding BT sports to that too.
    I don’t have a problem with Ferdinand saying what he believes, whatever his motives. However I do have a problem with broadcasters who do not allow a balanced debate.
    A host’s cross examination is not adding balance.
    These broadcasters should start presenting the facts and let everyone come to their own conclusions.

• Dubs Left Glove

Jan 14, 2019 at 12:21 PM

With the fakeover, no way it is going to happen during this window. if a bid/offer hasn’t even been accepted then then both parties cannot enter the exclusivity stage which is normally 30 days which will take us to mid Feb.

Ashley ain’t selling, i’m more interested in what the excuse this time will be, Bishop is going to be putting the hours in this week.

Ashley OUT!

• hibbit

Jan 14, 2019 at 12:27 PM

jail/Rob

I’ve just E mailed BT sport and complained about them giving there pundit the opportunity to push a very biased opinion which was clearly designed to help an individual with whom he has a close business connection which was so obviously intended to help further his own personal gain,

I’ve also forward it ofcom complaints

• lochinvar

Jan 14, 2019 at 12:28 PM

One less thing to worry about

Nottingham Forest are set to appoint club legend Martin O’Neill as manager to succeed Aitor Karanka, reports BBC Radio Nottingham.

• Lindisfarne

Jan 14, 2019 at 12:29 PM

Sorry, but I do not believe that it is a good thing when aperson of authority says something incorrect. I understand the great potential to debate, but when that comes after the’fact’, the damage is already done. It is a human condition and the nature of partizan thinking to blame the other person, so NUFC fans will be known for being ungrateful however much we try to persuade otherwise.

• Tsunki

Jan 14, 2019 at 12:30 PM

We’ve been spoofed by Ashley and his team again, can’t say nobody saw it happening. He’s been coasting on empty and at this moment is just putting a couple of litres of used chip oil in the tank to get over the last hill and rally home, the end of season where he will probably make his sale. By that time as much revenue will have been diverted, (his money must have been paid back by now?) to mitigate the cut price of our championship club and run-down city centre squat.

• Tsunki

Jan 14, 2019 at 12:33 PM

I think the level of outrage should be commensurate with the level of absurdity. Why shouldn’t anyone be a little incensed at a fellow with an obvious bias making remarks that portray the entire supporting contingent as limp-witted cloth-capped cretins? 🙂 Bounder!

🙂

• Asi Fish

Jan 14, 2019 at 12:33 PM

BFBS show both Sky & BT games – we even get 1500hrs kick off games on a Saturday.

I watched the game yesterday but fortunately had to pause it during the first half – this allowed me to fast fwd half time and skip to Rafa’s interview post match. So glad I didn’t have to waste any time or energy on RF being a pleb again….

On the match, I thought we did well considering the circumstances and was hoping we could come away with a point. I only screamed at the TV a couple of times:
    • Our defending for their first goal (was a canny pass and first touch mind).
    • When Yedlin made good runs but gave the ball away trying to pass.
    • That last corner for us….just put the bloody ball in the box!

Cracking goal by Clarke and Longstaff impressed. I would of liked Perez and Rondon to do better with their chances but even Willian missed a good chance before pulling off a blue mooner / worldy.

The performance gives a glimmer of hope but MA will be there to stomp that out…..no hope or belief during the MA reign thank you very much!!!!!!!!

• martoon

Jan 14, 2019 at 12:33 PM

Has anybody actually seen Yohan Cabaye play recently because I know I haven’t. There’s a reason he has been released by his club in UAE which could well be he is a spent force. I’d be reluctant to take him back!

• geordie157

Jan 14, 2019 at 12:34 PM

Side for tomorrow.

Woodman
    Manquillo, Schar, Fernandez, Clark
    Murphy, Hayden, Diame, Atsu
    Longstaff
    ??

Tempted to say Perez up top. Would give Roberts a chance off the bench too.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Jan 14, 2019 at 12:38 PM

6 Hours 20 Minutes to KO

• BlacknWhiteBarmy

Jan 14, 2019 at 12:40 PM

We could always play Cabaye in the Scott Sterling role …

• Lindisfarne

Jan 14, 2019 at 12:41 PM

Would Martin O’Neil have been at slum land at same time as Colback?

• Tsunki

Jan 14, 2019 at 12:42 PM

I’d take a pass on Slowboat now. Went on strike to get outta here. Nah.

• West Lancs Geordie

Jan 14, 2019 at 12:46 PM

The usual end of January announcement will be slightly different from Bishop this season. Instead of saying that “We tried very hard to get quality players over the line but just failed at the last hurdle”.
    The statement this time will read something like this:
    “Mike has worked tirelessly over the past few months with all interested parties to try to achieve a satisfactory sale of the Club. However as no party has been able to come up with the full required asking price he is to take the Club off the market until the Summer when he will have had the opportunity to cream off all the TV money, “prize” money, sales of more players and possible parachute payments. With the financial situation as it is there will be no funds to buy quality players and Mr.Rafa Benitez is EXPECTED to wave his magic wand and perform yet another miracle and keep the Club in the Premier League with rejects and sick notes from other clubs.”

• martoon

Jan 14, 2019 at 12:51 PM

EGB @51 to what???

• BlacknWhiteBarmy

Jan 14, 2019 at 12:53 PM

I think EGB has perfected time travel and has arrived back a day later than calculated 🙂

• BlacknWhiteBarmy

Jan 14, 2019 at 12:54 PM

Geordie157 – Im tempted to put Hoser uptop in the hope he gets injured and stays away from 1st team!

• RobLeenio

Jan 14, 2019 at 12:55 PM

Complaint made to BT Sport. I specifically requested an apology and a retraction.

• RobLeenio

Jan 14, 2019 at 12:55 PM

martoon, the U23s play tonight. Their line-up should give us some clues as to the side which will face Blackburn

• Jib

Jan 14, 2019 at 12:56 PM

Bill 30 hours
    Today is Monday

• Jib

Jan 14, 2019 at 12:56 PM

Aaah the U23’s
    😛

• jayphoto

Jan 14, 2019 at 12:57 PM

Was at the game sat, thought longstaff started nervy but something seem to click with him when he came out for the second half, maybe something said in the dressing room and he started playing with more courage and freedom, showed some decent passing range and gave a good account of himself against difficult opposition! Man he didn’t half cover some ground too, he looked the more experienced pro out of him and Hayden if im honest! Deserves a run as long as Shelvey and Ki are missing!

• toon22

Jan 14, 2019 at 12:58 PM

You think we’ll be sold this week ?
    Same as we were last week,and the week before
    And every other week for the last 11years

• martoon

Jan 14, 2019 at 12:59 PM

RobLeenio @60 – Cheers – actually I’d just sussed it myself and was about to post when I saw yours :mrgreen:

• jayphoto

Jan 14, 2019 at 1:00 PM

Lejeune was absolute quality! Such calmness on the ball, in my opinion hes our best player but a country mile. He was in the second half of last season too, makes Lascelles look alot better than he actually is! If I was a Man Utd, an Arsenal or a Spurs when replacing Alderweireld id be trying my luck with Lejeune, his on the ball composure, reading of the game, physicality is great, reminds me alot of Siniša Mihajlovi? back in the day!

• jayphoto

Jan 14, 2019 at 1:03 PM

One thing, not sure if anyone commented on, the sheer amount of times Dubravka went long to Atsu (who was getting dominated aerially by Azpilcueta. Seemed such a fruitless ask but was obviously something that had been instructed.
    Similarly, Rondon had the beating of Luiz all day but seem to keep drifting towards Rudiger who in all honesty dominated him in every contest!
    Yedlin was very poor and not sure if the tv showed but Perez seemed to put in alot less of a shift than he normally does…tired maybe?…demotivated? His perfomance was poor and watching from the stands I thought he hid quite alot.

• toonbrother

Jan 14, 2019 at 1:05 PM

We mustn’t get too carried away with longstaff
    For a rookie He was excellent on Saturday

But by any other standard, he was just okay

What’s exciting about him is his potential.
    He could blossom into a great player for us
    Then again he might go the way of Gael bigirimana, or jack colback and flame out

I won’t panic the next time I see him in the starting 11 like i did on Saturday

but I I wouldn’t place him ahead of shelvey, diame , ki or even Hayden in the pecking order just yet either

Not at this stage of his career

• jayphoto

Jan 14, 2019 at 1:07 PM

club will spend in the summer im sure… he’ll give Allardyce 50m or so and the brief will be 4 or 5 players that will be solid and basically keeps us 13-17th for the next 3 windows.
    Worst thing is ive no doubt if/when that happens Big Sam will create a team of absolute dross that hangs on in the league each season with minimum outlay and we’ll have at least another 3 seasons of this

• Ibizatoon

Jan 14, 2019 at 1:08 PM

Lindisfarne…I get your point, but Keys or Ferdinand people of authority?

Do you not think the damage is already done? Ferdinand hasn’t sown the seed that as a fan base we’re unreasonable, ungrateful and delusional, he’s playing on it, or has been sucked into it over the years himself.

The amount of “celebrities” who have openly admitted to taking these sort of stances for social exposure is alarming. It’s proven it’s better for them to say something outrageous than it is fair and balanced. Not saying it’s right, just that’s what I think he’s doing, at worst.

I actually think he looked a right idiot. He basically said that Mike is entitled to do as he sees fit. He said the money the club generates is Ashleys to do as he sees fit (legally yes, but that’s not even what Ashley has said….”Every last penny”).

Each and every one of those points are debatable and should be calmly, imo.

I still maintain that these idiots spouting their rubbish gives us good opportunity to actually get the truth out there. Perhaps others ignorance is all we can count on, they don’t seem to care of their own free will.

• jayphoto

Jan 14, 2019 at 1:10 PM

@toonbrother – id have him ahead of Hayden to be honest, hes a player that doesn’t want to be here, watched him on saturday live and he was poor, think at switched on best hes a good championship player that does the basics, but hes not at best, hes distracted and has his eyes on other things. Longstaff despite being less experienced will run through walls. I agree Ki, shelvey and especially Diame (who should be first choice) should be ahead of him but this season im really not sure what Hayden is offering

• GeordieinOhio

Jan 14, 2019 at 1:12 PM

@ASI FISH its okay to tell the truth mate…..you put the game on pause to nip out and get the SIXTH SENSE and a bacon butty from the NAAFI didnt ya!? lol….

on the game…..Yedlin was the cause of their second goal, in my mind anyway, always to slow to close down….but hes not the only player that I see letting the opposition run past them with the ball, let them get 10-15 yards ahead then think “oooohh I better look like im working hard to track him or tackle him”, I do feel like I see that a lot from a fair few players. Perez… sorry I am not a big fan, hes slow and I always feel he tries to do to much, instead of passing the ball, he dribbles then loses the ball. ATSU honestly I have said before why is he on the pitch, but of late he has improved and probably been one of the teams better players.

• jayphoto

Jan 14, 2019 at 1:14 PM

@Ibiza – Keys and Ferdinand have massively damaged Ashleys publicity to me…
    Ferdinand was too inaccurate on too big a platform and Keys literally said the stupidest thing any pundit has ever said about football, its created negative press for Ashley and its also generated the most amount of highlighting of the situation at Newcastle by journalists because of that! No doubt they were doing favours or whatever but my opinion is that is backfired and its only helped further the cause of Newcastle fan groups that have now gained national support.
    Helps that Ferdinand and Keys are pretty universally loathed and seen as thick AF….

• Ibizatoon

Jan 14, 2019 at 1:17 PM

Jayphoto…My point exactly. It’s a blessing, not the intended slight that some fans appear to think it is.

Nothing stacks up and is easily countered. Let them continue digging imo.

• ashleysmate

Jan 14, 2019 at 1:18 PM

Ferdinand and Keys.. 2of the 3 wise monkeys.
    I wonder which one is Ashley’s bitch?

• toonbrother

Jan 14, 2019 at 1:18 PM

I don’t think Perez “hid” on Saturday but I wouldn’t blame him if he did.

The fans’ attitude towards him is toxic, stupid and hypocritical. They ignore all the good he does and highlight the bad.

Perez is one of our most intelligent and hardworking players . He carries a lot of the creative weight in the team which is unusual for a striker.

I still cannot believe some are suggesting replacing him with Ritchie – who is one of the most clueless players in the league from a creative standpoint. Always going backwards even when he is in advanced positions because he’s too cowardly to take on defenders and risk being castigated for losing the ball.

• jayphoto

Jan 14, 2019 at 1:19 PM

@GeordieinOhio – Perez strikes me as a player that is absolutely unreal when playing against lesser players or in training when everyones playing at 50-70%… ive no doubt he pees on players like manquillo every week in training, I also imagine he does against our centrebacks who would be nowhere near as effective in a training ground scenario as physicality is their big strength. Given the extra time to think his technical skills are top notch and given the space I bet alot of what he tries comes off! But he takes the confidence of that into the premier league and is found mentally 1 second behind and physically 2 seconds behind the 100% pace of the english game.
    Atsu infuriates me in the way Obertan did…absolutely rapid, one of the quickest players we’ve ever had but you never see him try and get the fullback square on and do him for pace, he tries to go past players with skill when all he needs to do is knock it 5 yards ahead of him and sprint, honestly never seen him even attempt it

• jayphoto

Jan 14, 2019 at 1:22 PM

@toonbrother – watching Perez live on saturday, he spent ALOT of the game virtually holding hands with the chelsea lad marking him,seem to magnetically go toward him, rarely showed for the ball and rarely ran into space. When he did get the ball he wasnt trying to create he was playing for fouls. Im neither here nor there with him, we’ve noone better currently but I was really unimpressed with him saturday

• toonbrother

Jan 14, 2019 at 1:25 PM

Jay photo I think you’re being unfair to Hayden there. Without him we would have been overrun in midfield on Saturday
    He has been an unsung hero of the last couple of games . Because of him we haven’t missed diame too much
    He does a lot of the unglamorous work in midfield but he is a very tidy and effective in my opinion
    He is the kind of player whose contribution you only really appreciate when he is not there

I do agree we should let him go if he doesn’t want to be with us but we should find a suitable replacement first

• RobLeenio

Jan 14, 2019 at 1:26 PM

toonbrother “We mustn’t get too carried away with longstaff”

Aw, come on, why not? – fun sponge!

😉