web analytics

Benitez In Talks To Sign Sevilla Midfielder – Murphy To Go On Loan?

It seems Rafa will be able to sign one of his top targets this month and we expect Jordan Lukaku, who is the younger brother of Manchester United’s Romelu, to take his medical tomorrow and all being well will sign along the bottom line.

Depending on how he is the 24-year-old left-back could even appear for Newcastle in the FA Cup 4th round tie against Watford at home on Saturday.

Rafa also wants a winger and a striker brought in – at least.

But there is news from Spain (El Mundo Deportivo) that Rafa was after Sevilla holding midfielder Ibrahim Amadou on a loan deal.

That’s probably so Newcastle could allow Isaac Hayden to leave the club this month.

24-year-old holding midfielder Ibrahim Amadou

Fulham were also interested in Amadou who is short of first-team games this season.

But while it’s not yet certain, it seems the player wants to stay at Sevilla and fight for his place in the side, but Rafa has excellent persuasive powers when he needs them.

Amadou only signed for the Spanish club from Lille last summer in a £9M transfer on a four-year deal and is having trouble settling in Spain.

The report also says that Sevilla are likely to keep him at the club for the rest of this season.

The player was born in Douala, Cameroon and moved to France at the young age of 4 and lived in Colombo, where he started to play for the local club AS Cheminots de l’Ouest.

He moved to Nancy in 2008 before moving to Lille in 2015.

There’s also a report from Football Insider that Jacob Murphy may be on his way on loan to West Brom, where Dwight Gayle is on loan for the season.

Murphy has struggled since we signed him from Norwich City 18 months ago for £12M and he could be up for sale this summer.

What do you think?

• NY Mag

Jan 25, 2019 at 1:56 AM

Lesh,

You’re not going to get a sensible response…….believe me – I’ve tried 🙁

• one fine day

Jan 25, 2019 at 1:59 AM

jib @77

Not the mars bars its the deep fried cream eggs/toblerone that go straight to your hips… 🙂
    Recall a chippy in Edinburgh where they even deep fried the frozen pizzas .
    Most think cholesterol is the Romanian winger they are getting on loan .

• NY Mag

Jan 25, 2019 at 2:03 AM

OFD,

If I was drinking coffee, I would have spat it out…….that was funny 😀

• lesh

Jan 25, 2019 at 2:14 AM

NY,

I know I’m wasting my time hoping for a sensor answer from the frog and that’s reinforcing my belief that Toon22 has been planted by Bishop to disrupt any sensible dialogue.

Anyway, if you or anyone else’s interested, here’s the full transcript of Chi O’s speech to Parliament

It’s interesting and she’s posed some clever questions.

Anyway, goodnight or good morning, whichever suits the time zone.

• NY Mag

Jan 25, 2019 at 2:23 AM

Lesh,

That is a very interesting hypothesis – first time I’ve heard it mentioned (and I’ve thought the same thing myself)…….actually that would be a PR master stroke

I watched Chi live and read the chronicle transcript afterwards, she made a couple of errors but in general she delivered it very well – I was a little bit disappointed with the content, as I thought there would have been more reasearch behind the scenes…..but, ‘from little acorns do mighty oaks grow’…….so, we’ll wait and see

• Novocastrian66

Jan 25, 2019 at 5:05 AM

The government should do more to regulate football. The game is out of control with foreign owners and foreign players. We cannot do anything about EU nationals but there is flagrant abuse of non EU players controls. Basically there aren’t any. No other industry in the country would get away with it.
    More legislation is required and the FA isn’t up to the task.

• Online Guy

Jan 25, 2019 at 5:28 AM

Novocastrian

Well said , I’m in agreement. Morning.

• Nadeem

Jan 25, 2019 at 5:51 AM

Good morning online guy.I think it is time T22 should listen to lesh’s advice.Sounds good one to me.Otherwise he is doing nothing but ruining the place further as the day goes by.

• Optimistic Panda

Jan 25, 2019 at 6:22 AM

Munster

Behave yourself, you moan and bitch 24/7

I pointed out coming back from injury isn’t what you want when you’re desperate for players.

Bored with bitching and moaning about jail are you?

• Nadeem

Jan 25, 2019 at 6:45 AM

Op – please don’t trigger Jail.The place looked ok without him in the last few days.He is the one doing nothing but bitching and moaning about posters and every tiny things that is happening in life.

• Optimistic Panda

Jan 25, 2019 at 6:50 AM

Nadeem

Bitching and moaning at posters, is that not exactly what you’ve also just done?

• Ffsashley

Jan 25, 2019 at 6:59 AM

What a sad state of affairs our club is in .My 15 year old lad told me not to renew his season ticket anymore he has supported the TOON since he was a toddler but now has said there’s no enjoyment anymore under Fat man. Sadly I couldn’t disagree with him .So both tickets are going another young lad lost to Newcastle because of one man.His other sporting love is Boxing so we’ve decided to put the ticket money into pot for boxing shows. I’ll always love Newcastle but a massive part for me was taking the lad for a boys day out.I pray one day soon the FCB goes before my lad gives up and moves on from football altogether.

• Lindisfarne

Jan 25, 2019 at 7:17 AM

What should Rafa do?

Play his best players in the Fa Cup match or save them for the challenge of not losing by too much at City?

And more specifically, when should Rondon play?

I would like to see our best team out tomorrow in the hope of success then, go to city with a confident side and fill in for injuries where ever they are needed. In Rafas own words, take each match as it comes.

• DubaiMicky

Jan 25, 2019 at 7:38 AM

I agree Lindisfarne, play our strongest team and get through to the 5th round for the first time in ashLIE’s tenure.

• Jib

Jan 25, 2019 at 7:48 AM

R.I.P. one of the best Sports journos ever
    Hugh McIlvanney

• Optimistic Panda

Jan 25, 2019 at 7:51 AM

I’d like a cup run, may as well, a bit excitement wouldn’t hurt.

Rondons the only one I’d worry about playing, could try Clarke there, joint 2nd top scorer and I reckon he could hold it up.

If nowt else it would be interesting.

• Jail for Ashley

Jan 25, 2019 at 7:52 AM

Aye, I think go for it on Saturday, the whole team is well drilled enough for a 10-0 formation so get Rondon on against Watford and Chuck the Hos in against City, he’s just as likely to get a goal from an irregular body part then Rondon is from a well executed move down the left or right.

• Jail for Ashley

Jan 25, 2019 at 7:54 AM

OP,
    A cup run will have us dreaming at least, a mild respite from the nightmare we’re in. It’s going down to the wire either way.

• Jail for Ashley

Jan 25, 2019 at 8:04 AM

I say it hand on heart I’d swap a cup final for the Championship all day long. Something to sweeten us after Rafa has gone and the protest movement in full.

• Jib

Jan 25, 2019 at 8:06 AM

With China vs Japan in the semis of the AFC
    It’s looking like Muto is in the Middle East until
    the final – can’t see China beating Japan

• Jib

Jan 25, 2019 at 8:17 AM

Since the EPL started 27 years ago
    only 3 teams outside the big 6 have
    won the FA cup
    Everton Portsmouth Wigan
    I’m thinking with our squad Rafa won’t
    risk playing a proper first team.
    If we progress , at some stage we’ll have
    to meet one of the big boys.
    Do we need the extra games ?

• RobLeenio

Jan 25, 2019 at 8:21 AM

Part of me wants to see us play a good strength team against Watford. Another part would like to see Longstaff, Woodman and Cal Roberts play and would have Rondon on the bench. From the vibes coming out of Watford they’re coming with a weaker team anyway

• Jib

Jan 25, 2019 at 8:24 AM

Rob
    Cal Roberts is nailed on start I think

• magscar

Jan 25, 2019 at 8:24 AM

Lesh@124

He’s no more Bishop PR than anyone else on here and cannot be reasoned with. As NYmag has pointed out he has tried and so have I Pain in the Blog and Robleenio that also spring to mind.

He has been given more than oxygen by some on here who chortle at the annoyance of other posters that don’t fit into their little cliques oblivious (or are they?) that it is affecting the Blog.

I had hoped for a sale and an end to Ashley (and the frog) but that looks like another failure so I suspect frog stays in his misguided PR bashing on a scale totally beyond the need on here so back to occasional dips for info .

I watched the Onwurah speech and if to an almost empty chamber it was good to see the information put on in a different forum. I think there is some recognition of problem with owners in Government response but I doubt anything material or effective will come soon but as others have hoped it may be an acorn.

What Onwurah needed was a link to the backstop 🙂

• Jib

Jan 25, 2019 at 8:27 AM

Regardless of what he says
    Tuesday nights fixture vs Man City
    will be at the forefront of Rafa’s mind
    He’d love to rob the Blues of points
    to help his old club on their way to the title

• Jib

Jan 25, 2019 at 8:33 AM

Magscar
    I’ve a link
    Willie McFaul was born in Coleraine
    and
    Seamus Given over the border in Lifford

• magscar

Jan 25, 2019 at 8:34 AM

JB

Bit tenuous but no more than a lot on here or in “this place” 🙂

• Jib

Jan 25, 2019 at 8:35 AM

Goalkeepers / Backstop
    geddit
    Sometimes I surprise meself

• magscar

Jan 25, 2019 at 8:39 AM

Jib

AHH sorry still not up to Blog pace
    :-()

• L Toon

Jan 25, 2019 at 8:42 AM

Taken from the everything is black and white live event

Another point on Ashley

The problem with Mike Ashley and football is that he doesn’t know the first thing about it. He trusts Dennis Wise. He trusted Joe Kinnear twice. You think about the people in football who couldn’t work with him; Kevin Keegan, Alan Shearer, Chris Hughton was sacked by him. He needs to surround himself with people who know football.

MARK DOUGLAS

21:46ED SYERS

A question on Rio Ferdinand

One fan asks, how credible were his comments?

On Rio Ferdinand, all that illustrated was how little Ashley and Bishop know about the Geordie public. Yet another PR own goal. There’s a long list, you could write a book about them. It seems every time Ashley could do right, he does it wrong.

LEE RYDER

Part of the problem with Ferdinand, Wise etc. These people have a nation platform and it’s dangerous. Those saying fans are unrealistic, expect too much – that’s not the reality we know. We’re into the twelfth year of Mike Ashley’s ownership and the fans know exactly where the club stands.

MATTHEW RAISBECK

21:39ED SYERS

Will it take a double relegation for Ashley to leave?

One fan asks if Newcastle will “have to do a Sunderland” for Ashley to leave.

I think in the short-term there’s more chance of Ashley staying if the club get relegated this year.

CHRIS WAUGH

21:38ED SYERS

Q&A time

It’s Q&A time. One fan asks whether Ashley is taking money out of the club,

It’s not that he’s taking money back, but he’s making money in other way. It’s enabled Sports Direct to grow. Newcastle went to New Zealand in pre-season when Sports Direct were opening branches there. He’s had value out of the club.

MARK DOUGLAS

21:33ED SYERS

An unmotivated seller

You saw down the road at Sunderland, that’s a motivated seller. Someone willing to sell the club for no profit. Mike Ashley is an unmotivated seller; he’ll only sell at his own price. The price is £300m, you can decide whether that’s fair or not. But the problem is, once you buy it, how much do you have to spend on the training ground? On the squad?

MARK DOUGLAS

21:26ED SYERS

Is Kenyon a genuine buyer? Is Ashley a genuine seller?

He [Kenyon] has the credentials to show he can run a football club. But it’s one thing running a club as an employee, it’s another leading a buying party. Is Mike Ashley a genuine seller? I think he is, but at his own price. No one’s going to turn up and say “here’s £300m, no strings attached”. If they did, I think Ashley would sell. But as it stands no one has been ready to make that offer.

CHRIS WAUGH

21:19ED SYERS

On that Kenyon-Ashley letter

The intention of the letter wasn’t just to prove Peter Kenyon was real deal. It was an attempt by Mike Ashley to say “I’m not making this up, here he is.” Really powerful businessmen don’t write a letter like that without genuine intention. It showed Kenyon was genuine and that the funds weren’t quite there.

MARK DOUGLAS

21:16ED SYERS

Will this be an opportunity missed?

He stayed after relegation, he secured promotion, he won the league, he finished in the top ten. But they haven’t kicked on. It’s been an opportunity missed, and I don’t want to look back on this period as an opportunity missed. I don’t want to look back in ten years time and think “what if?”

SEAN McCORMICK

21:13ED SYERS

Rafa will give the ownership a chance

Even if this proves to be a fifth poor transfer window, he’ll still give Newcastle the chance to meet him in the middle. And it might not just be money – it’s more about power and control. Even if he doesnt have £100m to spend, just let him make the decision. You hire a man with that amount of pedigree and experience and you aren’t trusting him. That’s where he’ll feel let down the most.

MATTHEW RAISBECK

LIVEED SYERS

Watch us live now

21:07ED SYERS

Would a few loan signings be enough for Rafa to stay?

Possibly not. He’d want written assurances of what’ll happen in the summer – that would go some way towards bridging the gap. He wants to make changes to the academy and the scouting department. He was told he’d have the final say on signings, but he doesn’t have the last say on budgets. That’s the problem.

LEE RYDER

• Lindisfarne

Jan 25, 2019 at 8:44 AM

If the plan is to put out a well drilled and organised side against city, hoping for a counter attacking opportunity / lucky bounce, then we don’t really need our best side out. Playing Rondon tomorrow and next Saturday would be the best use of our best striker.

• Lindisfarne

Jan 25, 2019 at 8:45 AM

LToon

Are you repeating yourself?

• Jib

Jan 25, 2019 at 8:50 AM

The Green one being a KBA plant is an interesting one
    IMO Ed’s blog is the foremost forum on things NUFC
    the club has even acknowledged its existence.

Froggy does try hard to make everyone’s sojourn on here
    an unpleasant experience.

Food for thought

• Jib

Jan 25, 2019 at 8:52 AM

Lindy – and just ignore Rondon for Tuesday night
    vs Man City!!!
    Is that your plan ?

• posada

Jan 25, 2019 at 8:53 AM

If you include Lazaar we have a full squad of 25/26 senior players.
    3 goalies and each out field position covered twice.
    Rafa won’t be allowed to go over that.

So, for anyone in there will be an out.

He (Ashley, Barnes or whoever) will stick to that even if it relegates us.

• Jib

Jan 25, 2019 at 8:53 AM

Lindy
    Sorry I’ve just realised you didn’t know the City match was Tuesday

• Jib

Jan 25, 2019 at 8:54 AM

Lazaar is off to Cagliari

• Jail for Ashley

Jan 25, 2019 at 8:54 AM

Lindisfarne,
    I agree wholeheartedly, I think the weaker team will be able to get beat off City just as easily as our best team.

• Jail for Ashley

Jan 25, 2019 at 8:55 AM

Lazaar to Cagliari, no mention of the states as OLG informed us mmm?