web analytics

Rafa Non-Committal On Future – Gives Injury Update – Barreca In Squad

Rafa Benitez has just finished his press conference this afternoon for the difficult game at Wembley tomorrow against Tottenham, who are 3rd in the Premier League.

We are hoping we can take something out of this game after our fantastic 2-1 home win on Tuesday night at home to Manchester City.

Nobody expected that shock result.

But Tottenham will be ready for us.

Rafa Benitez at a previous press conference

Rafa was very pragmatic but upbeat in his press conference and he still has to make a decision on whether he will stay on Tyneside.

This is some of what Rafa has said in his press conference:

“I am happier than I was before. I am pragmatic and realistic. We are better equipped for the challenge now.”

“I knew we were trying to do things all month, like with Lukaku, but in the end, we signed two offensive players who have a real desire to do well.”

“Some people said: ‘Rafa will not stay unless they sign players.’ No, I will stay balanced and make a decision later, it doesn’t have to be now.”

“We have plenty of time to sit down and talk. I am just focusing on Tottenham and that’s it for now.”

“Maybe some people didn’t understand my approach (not commenting on transfers), but I was trying to do my best for the city.”

“Everything can affect our confidence and mood. I tried to stay calm. In the end we did it, and now I will try to keep us up”

“Diame has been training but is not ready for this game. Joselu has been training. Dummett, Ki, Elliot & Shelvey are very close now”

“Hopefully they will be available against Wolves.”

The game at Wolves is a week on Monday.

Seems like he sees Barreca more as a left winger.

Most fans think this game tomorrow will end in a draw – we would take that.

How Will Newcastle Fare Against Tottenham?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• Jib

Feb 1, 2019 at 1:57 PM

Muto on the bench in Abu Dhabi

• Mag52

Feb 1, 2019 at 2:01 PM

Lindisfarne.

Not the first time the Guardian has got something wrong.

• RobLeenio

Feb 1, 2019 at 2:06 PM

Nah, you were trying to make a point and it hit home.

Modesty, Rafa? Come on, you’ve played the fat one like a piano and got a jaunty tune out of him.

• Bobbybee

Feb 1, 2019 at 2:06 PM

A draw? Spurs don’t do draws! 🙂 I’ve gone for a win, but I always do because I’m actually slightly mad. 🙂 I even had a wee flutter against City and won 45 quid. I admit that was just because I was insulted by odds of 14s against us at home. Cheeky sods. 🙂
    This seasons super six has, been a personal disaster. Last season I finished 98th out of a million players and will never beat that again. This season even our lass is beating me and she doesn’t even like football. 🙂 The embarrassment. I’ll fight on though, the season isn’t done yet.

• lochinvar

Feb 1, 2019 at 2:07 PM

Sports Direct owner Mike Ashley looks set to buy Sofa.com after a rival suitor dropped out.

Doesn’t rest on his laurels does Ashley.
    Now as the Fonz used to say “sit on it “

• Bobbybee

Feb 1, 2019 at 2:07 PM

Jib, is it on TV mate?

• RobLeenio

Feb 1, 2019 at 2:09 PM

Bobby, I voted for a win vs Man City (and posted about it in advance for all you cynics out there sneering) and have voted for a win again.

It could be tight but we’re playing them at a good time I think.

• Ron Knee

Feb 1, 2019 at 2:09 PM

“For a young football coach in Portugal’s second city during the mid-1990s the choice between university classes and a trip to FC Porto’s practice pitches barely registered. José Gomes would not think twice about skipping an afternoon’s studies when he heard a training session was open; he was spellbound by the famous English manager who had taken over at the club he loved and, in his words, “it was like time stopped” as he stood at the side and watched the old master put the players through their paces.

“Gomes is hardly alone in having a Sir Bobby Robson story but the feelings stirred by those glimpses of his work have particular resonance. A month has passed since Gomes was appointed manager of Reading and it was while watching Robson during that 1994-95 season that he resolved to make working in England his ultimate goal.” (Grauniad)

• JP...from The Rock

Feb 1, 2019 at 2:10 PM

Bobbybee- (in response from last thread)

Yup Rafa is slowly starting to assemble a great team. Rafa’s ‘proyecto’ is beginning to take shape and I just love that his is more focused on improving our attack now. Like they say, to make a successful team you have start from the back and now that we have that sorted his is moving further up the field.

I like Rafa’s style of play on the counter and we are setting a team up perfect for it. The players he goes fot are exact what’s needed and that is players with blistering pace and composed on the ball. If the counter attack setup is done correctly it’s very hard to stop. With a couple of wingers with frightening pace to whip dangerous balls into the box and another Striker to challenge and cover Rondon up top and we will have an amazing team.

• Bobbybee

Feb 1, 2019 at 2:10 PM

Loch, that’ll be the recent payment from Sky spent then? Time Sky and the PL stepped up and reminded him that money is for NUFC, not his piggybank. Why do we need a loan when sky have just paid us 56 million smackers?

• DubaiMicky

Feb 1, 2019 at 2:19 PM

Muto on the bench in Abu Dhabi – pleased I didn’t do the 7 hour round trip there then.

• Dave76

Feb 1, 2019 at 2:21 PM

Talking of Bobby Robson, just watched the more than a manager documentary and it is well worth a watch if anyone has not seen it.

Players who went behind his back to Shepherd should be named and shamed and if he had any sense he would have thrown them out of the club and backed Bobby

• GeordieinOhio

Feb 1, 2019 at 2:22 PM

Repost from last…..soooooo many buses this morning!

Good Morning ALL!!…..

while I was working song came on…..Will Smith “gettin jiggy withit” lol i am sure ya all know what I was singing

On your marks get ready set let’s go
    Saint James pro I know you know
    we go psycho when miggy flows
    ya Just can’t sit
    Got to get MIGGY wit it, thats it
    Now hinnie come watch him fly
    little paraguan thats him aye,

Gettin miggy wit it
    Na na na na na na na nana
    Na na na na nana
    Gettin miggy wit it
    Na na na na na na na nana

• Bobbybee

Feb 1, 2019 at 2:29 PM

JP, that’s why I expect him to stay on mate. He’s built from the back and you can see how it’s taking shape now.
    Obviously he was banking on Kenedy to carry his form from last season forward, but it hasn’t happened. Imagine if it had?
    Maybe he’s told Kenedy to play crap so we can pick him up cheap in the summer? 🙂 Wishful thinking I know!
    If he gets backed this summer we might win something next season. Longstaff has been a revelation and Shelvey is brilliant on his day. With Almiron backing Rondon we’ll only need a couple of quality wingers and back up for Rondon and we’ll give anybody a game. Let’s hope Ashley can see that, or even better, sell up! 🙂
    Anyway lads, I’m done in. I need to stretch out and give this fracture chance to heal. Great blogging again with positive thinking. I simply can’t be bothered when all the idiots are on bitching and showing their total lack of football nous. Cheers for today, been really enjoyable again. Love to stay but I’m proper done in. Later lads.

• JP...from The Rock

Feb 1, 2019 at 2:31 PM

GeordieinOhio- i like it, hope it catches on. We need more creative songs like this ring round St James’.

• Jib

Feb 1, 2019 at 2:33 PM

Qatar beating Japan 2 – 0

• GeordieinOhio

Feb 1, 2019 at 2:37 PM

JP….aye would be class to see

• Jib

Feb 1, 2019 at 2:40 PM

To the tune of Da doo ron ron

I saw him at St Jamesy’s
    and me heart grew big
    Almiron ron ron Almiron ron ron
    Somebody told me that his name was Mig
    Almiron ron ron Almiron ron ron

Yeeeaaah my heart grew big
    Yeeeaaah his name was MIg
    And when he scored a goal
    Almriron ron ron Almriron ron ron

• Mister Tuff

Feb 1, 2019 at 2:42 PM

Bobbybee ref the work permit and training.
    Apparently under the rules training is classified as work so he can’t even train until his work permit comes through.

• Jib

Feb 1, 2019 at 2:43 PM

Spelling shite but you get the idea

• Jail for Ashley

Feb 1, 2019 at 3:04 PM

Bobbybee,
    I think you do the Fantasy Football, what on your thoughts of getting rid of Ryan Fraser £6.1M and bringing in the Mig ready for Wolves @ £6.0M?

• RobLeenio

Feb 1, 2019 at 3:12 PM

Almiron ron ron, score a goal and then score 3
    Almiron ron ron, bring the Mackems to their knees
    To the left, to the right, swerve round everyone in sight
    Make my day, make that play, only you can play that way

Not happy with the last line, but this is not Grand Opera after all….

• Hail Wor Ashley

Feb 1, 2019 at 3:21 PM

Call me a cynic, but Qatar obviously bought this Asian Games as a PR and marketing exercise for their World Cup reputation.

Seems obvious. Their players are absolute nobodies.

• Lovem or Hatem

Feb 1, 2019 at 3:29 PM

@ Hail

Have the same feeling too. Japan should be winning but strange things can happen.

• Jib

Feb 1, 2019 at 3:37 PM

Muto on for Shibasaki
    now Japan 1 Qatar 2

• Jib

Feb 1, 2019 at 3:40 PM

Sorry Muto on for Haraguchi (left winger)

• Jib

Feb 1, 2019 at 3:41 PM

Japan 1 Qatar 3

• jimiley

Feb 1, 2019 at 3:48 PM

Jib
    Are you Japanese? Why is anybody interested in Japan v Qatar score?

• Jib

Feb 1, 2019 at 3:48 PM

The Qatar manager Félix Sánchez Bas is a big pal of Rafa’s
    coaching assistant Mikel Antia

• Jib

Feb 1, 2019 at 3:49 PM

Cos Yoshinori Muto is playing

• jimiley

Feb 1, 2019 at 3:51 PM

Jib
    No he is not. He is on the bench. And he never gets a game for us.