web analytics

Ashley Unlikely To Offer Rafa Enough To Stay – Squad Off To Warm Weather Training

In his column today in the Times George Caulkin says Newcastle are the just enough club, and that will not be good enough for Rafa Benitez, who wants to build a side in the next few years that can win trophies.

It will be at Newcastle or elsewhere, but he doesn’t want to fight relegation for the third successive season, and who can blame him?.

Just enough means that owner Mike Ashley will do what he thinks is just enough to ensure Newcastle survive in the Premier League and a couple of times he’s failed to achieve even that low goal.

Ashley doesn’t seem interested in wanting Newcastle to be a top-six side and win things like …. trophies.

And the Times doesn’t think Mike Ashley will offer the manager enough to stay on Tyneside after the last two years of very little money being made available for the top players Rafa has wanted.

Well, not until there’s only five months left on his contract.

Much better for Rafa to join an ambitious club like Leicester City – as one example.

The next game coming up for Newcastle is at Wolves on Monday, and then we have a 12-day break.

The game after that is a decisive game of the season and another relegation 6 pointer at home to Huddersfield on Saturday 23rd February.

The players training toay at Benton

The Times is reporting that after the Wolves match the Newcastle squad will head off to Spain for a warm-weather training camp.

That’s much as we did last year when we were also eliminated in the 4th round of the FA Cup.

Oh to be successful and not have the time to go for warm weather breaks.

The squad should come over to Raleigh where it’s sunny and will reach 74 degrees Fahrenheit today, but it’s a lot further away than Spain.

• Bobbybee

Feb 6, 2019 at 6:13 PM

C dog, it may not happen overnight, he’ll not get the same time on the ball, but that pace is pace regardless of what league it’s in and top corners of goals are all the same size.
    I’ll happily put money on him being a better player mate and I’m not a gambling man. My fiver acca is as adventurous as I get! 🙂 I’m going on my decades of experience alone and personal judgement. Doesn’t mean I’m right, but just from what I’ve seen, he’s an upgrade in my own personal Opinion and I’m happy to stick my neck on the line.
    Like I said, he won’t get the same amount of time on the ball he’s used to, but the MLS has improved greatly over the years and the Argentinian league ain’t for slouches. Pace is pace on any pitch and this kid has it in spades. I reckon we’ve just kicked a real bargain.

• Bobbybee

Feb 6, 2019 at 6:14 PM

Nicked even?

• Online Guy

Feb 6, 2019 at 6:17 PM

Dubai Micky

Always thought that Toure will emerge as a top player ..also had the thought we had better tie him down to a good contract .. He’s a Chelsea type buy..the type they will have scouted.

Can see him in the first team the day we are safe. Maybe sooner.

• c-dog

Feb 6, 2019 at 6:24 PM

Bob

I certainly hope you’re right. I imagine the PT assigned to Almiron is purely to start an intense muscle mass gaining regime.

• Online Guy

Feb 6, 2019 at 6:35 PM

Well we got our number ten ..our Eden Hazard..Almiron is rapid ..speed is speed and coupled with all the tools , skill, Almiron looks right.

Almiron looks good either left, right, or center coming from midfield ..I can see him supplying Rondon to suit Rondon, either side but not out wide .. Rondon will thrive on anything coming in from him ..it looks like a good pairing in the offing .

Prediction , Rondon will get at least 8 goals from now to end of season because of Almiron if they both stay fit.

Like Saha at Palace Almiron will get little protection from refs and that’s a worry..

• Online Guy

Feb 6, 2019 at 6:44 PM

Bobbee

Just seen your pace is pace comments etc , I just wrote speed is speed..Should have wrote pace.
    Exactly .

I’m just worried he gets a regular kicking off Prem defenders .

• toonbrother

Feb 6, 2019 at 6:46 PM

It astonishes me that people expect the team’s performances to be suddenly transformed by the introduction of almiron

Hate to break it to you but almiron in Rafa’s ultradefensive 352 will not have much impact. Right now we play with only 3 attacking players who typically have no support in advanced positions.

If that doesn’t change almiron will be just as isolated as Atsu and Perez were vs Spurs and get crowded out in advanced positions . Almirons addition is most welcome but (for me more importantly) we need barrecca to be a succcess on the left wing and We need shelvey back to his best to replace Longstaff (who is impressive but nowhere near shelveys level in terms of skill vision or creativity )

• toonbrother

Feb 6, 2019 at 6:49 PM

Unless the formation changes from 352 there is no place for Ritchie besides left wing back
    So it’s a straight fight between him and barrecca for a starting position

I Personally hope Rafa switches to a 4-3-3 with Almiron shelvey and diame/Hayden in midfield
    I just don’t see why we need to play 5 at the back especially against the lesser teams

We played 4 at the back last season and had one of the best defensive records in the league

• jane

Feb 6, 2019 at 6:54 PM

tonight’s predictions

West Brom 0 Brighton 1 (BBC)
    Everton 1 Man C 3
    Aberdeen 2 Rangers 1 (Sky)

• Bobbybee

Feb 6, 2019 at 7:02 PM

The point is, we’ve got players coming back from injuries and an extra two quick players to add into the mix.
    One can bang crosses in and the other adds goals.
    Rafa’s been restricted to certain players, who frankly, wouldn’t get near other PL sides. Now he can use his nous and experience to change style a bit. It won’t be a major transformation but I expect it will be better to watch and more productive.
    I expect to see us steadily improve towards the end of the season. In Rafa I for one, definitely trust.

• Bobbybee

Feb 6, 2019 at 7:08 PM

And on that I’m away to lie down and listen to the city game rather than watch the cup game. Not through choice though, just can’t sit up a moment longer lmao! 🙂
    Gives our lass the TV for soaps anyway, so she’s happy with the situation 🙂 A, win got City will have the Micjey’s

• Bobbybee

Feb 6, 2019 at 7:09 PM

Mickey’s looking over their shoulder. Bloody submit button!!!!!! 🙂

• Online Guy

Feb 6, 2019 at 7:12 PM

Perez has all the tools he’s just not brave enough when running at defenders around the box..he needs to watch “The Great Peter Beardsley”, that’s how I see Beardsley , one of the greats no matter what allegations have been thrown his way. Went off on a tangent there..

Anyway Perez needs to force the defender and make the defender make a decision .

Perez makes the wrong hurried decision to shoot early and too far out . He needs to be braver.

• Online Guy

Feb 6, 2019 at 7:22 PM

If Liverpool win this title the arrogance will suffocate the UK.

Everton fans wanting Everton to loose tonight !

I imagine city are short odds ..was thinking of having a bet on game but a double or treble might be better as not much value With Everton v City. .

Anyone see a good bet out there for this evening …?

I know there are some shrewd operators here.

Iv never been a gambler but like the odd fun bet. Grand national etc.

• Jib

Feb 6, 2019 at 7:33 PM

A good bet
    Mr Tuff and Lesh are a gay married couple

• Jib

Feb 6, 2019 at 7:34 PM

Ha ha ha

• carltoon

Feb 6, 2019 at 7:53 PM

Almiron training with the squad. Video on twitter. Haven’t checked nufc web site.

• Just a fan

Feb 6, 2019 at 7:54 PM

Jib
    Granada it’s cold up there. Hope you had your fur coat on.

• Mister Tuff

Feb 6, 2019 at 8:03 PM

Jib will be wearing his fur coat – no problems.

Oooh very nice!

• carltoon

Feb 6, 2019 at 8:04 PM

Jib Granada a beautiful city. Alhambra amazing been a few times.

• Charlie in the Gallowgate

Feb 6, 2019 at 8:04 PM

Carltoon
    Fernandez tweeted a image of himself and Almiron training today

• carltoon

Feb 6, 2019 at 8:06 PM

Jib can you put the training video up please. I would if I could.

• carltoon

Feb 6, 2019 at 8:07 PM

He’s looking good in the video. It’s not on the nufc web site yet seen it on twitter.

• Jib

Feb 6, 2019 at 8:08 PM

Naah
    Soz I’m on the wife’s tablet
    Back on Saturday

• carltoon

Feb 6, 2019 at 8:10 PM

Ok

• Bobbybee

Feb 6, 2019 at 8:12 PM

Can’t even find the city game to listen to. Looks like it’s, WBA after all. 🙁

• Bobbybee

Feb 6, 2019 at 8:13 PM

Jib, those wife’s tablets mate, careful, you might grow a pair of 36C’s!!!! 🙂

• Genjikai

Feb 6, 2019 at 8:21 PM

Bobby he already did thats how Jane was invented.

• Jib

Feb 6, 2019 at 8:26 PM

There’s enough tits on this blog already
    Yoo Hoo Jail

• Just a fan

Feb 6, 2019 at 8:33 PM

Mr tuff
    Actually amused me with his pic

• Just a fan

Feb 6, 2019 at 8:34 PM

36 Dd would be better

• Just a fan

Feb 6, 2019 at 8:35 PM

Sorry that may be sexist

• Just a fan

Feb 6, 2019 at 8:39 PM

Disappointed with Alhambra.
    Hear me out.
    Muslims aren’t allowed image’s apparently.so a bit stark
    The summer resedance was much nicer.

• Bobbybee

Feb 6, 2019 at 8:41 PM

Does anybody actually think Jane is Jib? Seriously? Linguistically I reckon an expert might disagree. Not that I’m one, nor do I claim to be remotely connected to one, but if they are, it’s very cleverly done. They appear nothing like one another frankly, but hey, what do I know?
    Now if you said said Jib and Mr Tuff, I could see the rwaenvkence there……

• Bobbybee

Feb 6, 2019 at 8:43 PM

RESEMBLENCE FFS. GOD, THAT BLOODY SUBMIT BUTTON WHEN MY FAT FINGERS, GET MESSED UP
    Anyway, I was just winding up there but it got ruined. Damn it. 🙂

• RobLeenio

Feb 6, 2019 at 9:11 PM

Cheers Simon. The house of the wind hosting on that video though!

Welcome to the Toon Miggy lol

• RobLeenio

Feb 6, 2019 at 9:12 PM

Howling ffs

• RobLeenio

Feb 6, 2019 at 9:13 PM

*sound of the wind howling…..

This is why I never post on my tablet!

• Just a fan

Feb 6, 2019 at 9:23 PM

I think bobby bee is a wasp