web analytics

Atlanta United President – Newcastle Had Done Their Homework On Almiron

Atlanta United President Darren Eales has talked about what he calls the good hard negotiations with Newcastle United over the transfer of their star player Miguel Almiron.

The talks opened in early December but it wasn’t until the final day of the transfer window last month that he was eventually signed.

The fee is for an initial £16M and almost another £4.5M based on how Miguel performs in a Newcastle United shirt.

We are confident he will be Newcastle’s record signing.

Chelmsford-born Atlanta President Darren Eales

But there again Mike Ashley may bring in a £25M player in the summer – so the record may not last long.

🙂

Eales says that he had expected the negotiations to be difficult given Mike Ashley’s track record at Newcastle (a miser).

This is what Darren Eales has said:

“We were always pretty firm about the figure we wanted.”

“We knew there was an interest at that level but I’d say I was skeptical, given his track record, that we would get to a figure that was acceptable.”

“But to be fair to Newcastle, in the end, it was a good hard negotiation.

“Clearly, Rafa wanted the player and they had done their homework. He was someone they had thought about. “

“They had done their due diligence and thought ‘okay, we’re going to push the button on this one’.”

“It was important for Miggy because it was his dream. It was important for the league, too, for that type of number.”

“It is by far and away the record transfer fee for MLS. I think we have helped to set the table for future transfers.”

“He’s an unbelievable person as a character. He smiles all the time.”

“From that perspective of engaging with the fans, he was an instant fan favorite because of his demeanor.”

“In terms of his playing on the pitch, he is non-stop, perpetual motion.”

“He is faster with the ball than without it. He reminds me very much of Gareth Bale that way.”

“When Gareth picked the ball up, he always seemed to be quicker when he had the ball and Miggy is like that with his pace.”

First things first – we hope Miguel can help us beat Wolves at Molineux tonight, either as a starter or as a substitute.

We need the win.

How Will Newcastle Fare At Wolves?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• Optimistic Panda

Feb 11, 2019 at 4:17 PM

Bobby

I was pi55ed as a newt, I bounced lol.

I celebrated (Bent I beleive) their consolation as much as any of ours, everyone was howling as I was jumping up and down cheering for Darren Bent, great atmosphere game day everything.

• Bobbybee

Feb 11, 2019 at 4:22 PM

OP, aye, I remember that from the book I’ve got. My in laws buy me a book Newcastle related virtually every Christmas. I’ll never complain about that though. It’s a lovely thought really.
    I believe Juventus got their first black and white strip from Notts County as well,so they’ve got a lot of history. It would be a shame if they did drop out the league .
    Maybe ourselves and Juventus could play a charity match to help them out. I’d go. Good cause and all that.

• RobLeenio

Feb 11, 2019 at 4:24 PM

lesh from a couple ago, when have I suggested that people target Nick Forbes for a past planning decision?

I’ve suggested if he wants to be the first North of Tyne Mayor he needs to speak up against Ashley in defence of the club that 75%+ of his constituents have in their hearts.

I’m asking people to contact him and ask for positive action now in return for their vote. I absolutely do not condone or encourage abusive or threatening behaviour and I’m pretty sure that very few on here would be that way inclined anyway.

This is, after all, how the democratic process is supposed to happen. We contact our representatives and tell them of our concerns in the expectation that they do something about it or expect to lose our vote in the future.

• Mister Tuff

Feb 11, 2019 at 4:24 PM

I like the quote “he is non-stop, perpetual motion.”

• RobLeenio

Feb 11, 2019 at 4:30 PM

Bobby “Maybe ourselves and Juventus could play a charity match to help them out” – what a cracking idea. NUFC and Juve at Meadow Lane in a round-robin tournament with Notts County, 45 minute matches, each team plays twice, featuring past legends of the game and current squad members.

I’d pay a fair amount to see Ronaldo, Thuram, Buffon on the same pitch as Shearer, Beardsley, Robert and Joselu.

Well, maybe not the Hoss….

• Optimistic Panda

Feb 11, 2019 at 4:31 PM

Bobby

That would be the thing to do, Juve maybe up for it but I doubt Cashley is

• Bobbybee

Feb 11, 2019 at 4:32 PM

OP, you had me laughing out loud there, mate. It’s what I miss about drinking – bouncing when you fall over! Lmao! 🙂
    Aye, they can have their 3-0 wins, ours was much better and anyway, will we, ever see them again in my lifetime? Maybe if I don’t try bouncing we might! 🙂
    They’ve got to get out of the third tier yet and if they keep drawing games, it won’t happen.
    They had £40m parachute payment remember, so if they don’t do it this season, they may never will. Goes down to 19m next season then nil.
    How anybody can fail with £40m to get out the first division is beyond me, but they might just show us how!! 🙂
    As for the Checkatrade Trophy, what’s more embarrassing, winning it or not winning it? Just being in it is embarrassing enough.

• Optimistic Panda

Feb 11, 2019 at 4:36 PM

Bobby

My closest friend is one of them, we banter but it’s always sensible football talk when it comes down to it.

I’ve said the same to him and he agrees to many draws, yet a lad at work was giving it the big one and I said you need to be careful too many draws and he started kicking off. At least we ain’t getting beat blah blah, took it as a insult.

They HAVE to come up for finances alone, another year in league one and administration will come calling. I don’t want that!

• JohnJ

Feb 11, 2019 at 5:50 PM

Bobbybee

Feb 11, 2019 at 4:22 PM

Hey that’s a great idea it would go down well at SJP – Just give Rafa a ring eh?