web analytics

Bloomberg News – Ashley Likely To Keep Newcastle – Continue To Run It Into The Ground

There was a report in Bloomberg News yesterday about how Rafa has failed once again to sell Newcastle United.

That’s even after he said in early December he was very keen to sell the club and that negotiations were the furthest along they had ever before.

Fans were excited but a little wary of the owner.

Three months later and he still owns the club, and there is no longer any interest by any consortium in buying Newcastle United.

It just all seemed too familiar to fans because Mike Ashley is not to be trusted and there was a transfer window coming up.

So if he’s selling the club why would he invest in January – perfect cover for the owner.

The fact Ashley doesn’t like to spend the club’s money is one reason we have been relegated twice under his ownership and have struggled against relegation many other times.

And for the last two seasons even under world-class manager Rafa Benitez we are struggling to stay in the Premier League.

As fans have long suspected, he’s very difficult to negotiate with, and it seems he’s asking too much money for Newcastle.

He’s trying to recuperate the total of about £260M he has put into the club including outstanding interest-free loans he has given the club – with a profit on top of that.

Here are some excerpts from the Bloomberg News report – the first is that  he’s difficult to negotiate with:

Would-be buyers say he’s tricky to negotiate with, mainly because he’s suspicious about the terms of the offers, according to two people involved in potential purchases over the past couple of years.

They declined to be identified because of the confidentiality of the negotiations.

And about how he came to own Newcastle in the first place:

He took control of Premier League club Newcastle for 134 million pounds ($172 million) in 2007.

He first put it up for sale as early as 2008 as the northeast English city’s soccer fans quickly turned against him following the departure of club legend Kevin Keegan as manager.

There was no buyer.

And finally why he doesn’t really seem to want to sell Newcastle.

That’s even though he keeps putting the club up for sale and at the same time continues to run the club into the ground with no investment.

And the excuse we hear is that if he is going to sell the club why should he invest in it?

A perfect cover for Ashley as long as the club’s up for sale.

Here’s another excerpt from Bloomberg News:

“He’s very single-minded and an aggressive buyer of business assets, not all of which have succeeded,” said Clive Black, director and head of research at Shore Capital.

“But when it comes to selling he seems to have difficulty letting go and has prices in his head that he won’t go below.”

If any negotiations are to be successful there has to give and take on both sides,.

But Ashley doesn’t seem to want to give anything and sticks to the price he wants.

Selling your house is close to what Ashley’s doing – if you put your house on the market for too high a price, it will not sell.

But if it does, then you will accept the offer because it’s at your price but it takes a long time.

Ashley can keep putting Newcastle up for sale again and again and pretend he wants to sell the club, while the reality is he has no real intention of doing that.

And at the same time – as we said earlier – he continues to run Newcastle United in the ground with as little investment as possible.

Now – to try to end on a positive note.

The very fact the article has been published by Bloomberg News should bring Newcastle’s availability to the attention of a number of businesses and wealthy businessmen who may want to buy the club.

The report is positive about the club and our great fans.

We continue to live in hope that somebody can save our club – the sooner the better.

• Mag52

Feb 13, 2019 at 4:43 PM

AO.

• RobLeenio

Feb 13, 2019 at 4:45 PM

Oooh, Ed only went and likened the sale of the club to the sale of a house.

He’s in for it now!

• Mag52

Feb 13, 2019 at 4:47 PM

Bobby.

No time for some of your views, but huge admiration for your tenacity and courage.
    If anyone deserves a change of luck when the op is carried out, it’s got to be you.
    There’ll be no one on here who doesn’t hope you get it.

• ebobla12

Feb 13, 2019 at 4:48 PM

PROOF READER REQUIRED – Didn’t relise the club was Rafa’s to sell (first sentance).

• nufc 11

Feb 13, 2019 at 4:53 PM

It is very easy to make it look like something is for sale when you have willing accomplices like Peter Kenyon and the Chronicle and Sky Sports who have everything on good authority, when notting could be further from the truth. I never thought id say it but hats off to Mike Ashley the Fakeover worked a threat . Fans were on the verge on rioting and mass boycotting games before the Wolves at home game now everything is rosy in the garden again. If ever a man should enter politics its Mike Ashley. He has better PR guru’s (that can spin any amount of BS in their direction) behind than Donald Trump maybe Theresa May should give Mike Ashley a call for advice on Brexit negotiations?

• Online Guy

Feb 13, 2019 at 4:55 PM

Chi Office…

They are watching ! They are very much aware and Chi is on the ball ..in fact the guys and galls in the office are mostly Newcastle Supporters.

We discussed a scenario where offices and student accommodation went up opposite Gallogate end and the conversation turned round to the fact it could still be done as other clubs have done.

I then mentioned old Trafford and the road that runs under a stand..so it was agreed but only as an idea, nothing concrete..sorry ! ( :

Also depends which area is subject to development..there are 3 large parking bay areas opposite and I pointed out it was running off the west side of the Strawberry pub towards Barrack road ..and the fact that if any development went up there and Newcastle wanted to extend the Gallowgate end then the developers could possibly complain in future because of light issues etc.. not to mention Fire hazard, access etc .. also discussed the fact that any development of offices and Student accommodation proposed and built could hamper Fire Services to St James’ Park ..so any proposed building could hamper in the event of a fire at Gallogate end .

I mentioned that Newcastle United were there first and the club should hold sway.
    It was agreed.

Anyway just to reassure, Chi is watching .
    There has been no planning application to Newcastle City council .
    We can object if there is .

If there is a planning application granted they have 5 years to complete.
    No one has applied and the drawings you have seen in the media are not official .

We need answers from Ashley and a feasibility study to see if Gallowgate can be extended.

• DaveD1000

Feb 13, 2019 at 4:56 PM

@4
    A requirement of the blog is an ability to read and write fluent typo…..and the ability to skim over something you don’t want to see

• TyneMouth

Feb 13, 2019 at 5:01 PM

So there is no Take Over.

Not even a Fake Over.

Or a simple Make over.

It’s not Over till the Fat Laddie slings, (his hook)

It’s all over now, baby blue!

Over and out.

All that’s left is Leg Over… Perhaps…

• Lovem or Hatem

Feb 13, 2019 at 5:03 PM

For me the takeover is not off until the fat man tells us

• Bambams

Feb 13, 2019 at 5:15 PM

Its merely a ‘Talkover’ at the moment…..

I am not as confident as I was before Christmas. There are a few coming out with ‘Once we are Safe’….Makes sense, but who knows.

He will probably want £450 million then.

• RobLeenio

Feb 13, 2019 at 5:18 PM

lascelles sells sea shells on the sea shore

Remember we were squabbling (not really) over Longstaff’s National allegiance yesterday? Funny what happens today with Declan Rice of West Ham and (formerly) the Republic of Ireland.

• ToonRich

Feb 13, 2019 at 5:21 PM

TyneMouth
    Comment #8 “Or a simple Make over.”

Dont forget they re-decorated the tunnel: https://twitter.com/nufc360/status/1076820333926273025

😀

• JohnJ

Feb 13, 2019 at 5:32 PM

I can’t see Mr Ashley investing in an increase of St James Park capacity when he won’t invest in all the needs that Rafa has highlighted on many occasions.

Like 99.9% of folk on here and 99’9% of those not on this blog I’ll be over the moon once that fat shopkeeper is no more as far as our club is concerned!

Ashley out ASAP!

• Bobbybee

Feb 13, 2019 at 5:35 PM

Mag 52, cheers. My views are just that of a lifelong fan who doesn’t believe boycotts work. I base that on precedents provided by the fans of Blackburn, Blackpool and Coventry. They tried to get rid of their owners by boycotting and they’ve all still got the same owners. All were PL clubs and all ended up in the bottom two leagues. Coventry, who’d been in the top tier much much longer than us, ended up bottom of division two.
    It’s just going off evidence. It’s not the gate receipts that interest him, it’s the Sky money. If he was remotely interested in gates receipts, why am I going to be paying 2008/9 prices until 2022/3 season?
    Anyway, I appreciate and humbly thank you for your concern. If I thought boycotting would work, I would do so mate, but the evidence says differently. But no point arguing over it 🙂 I accept and respect your opinions and have never once told anybody not to boycott. You must all do as you see fit, but Sky and Ashley are the enemy, not fans. One day I won’t be able to get there and that’s what will stop me. Rafa’s fought tooth and nail for my club, he deserves my support. As do the players, who never stop trying.
    Let’s hope one day we can see the back of him, but sadly I think only somebody making him the right offer will shift him. Or even better a prison sentence! 🙂
    I do think the PL and Sky should withhold the prize money though, because, despite his claims, he’s not putting that money where it should go – into NUFC. They’re far more to blame than fans showing loyalty to the team they’ve supported – and will support – all their lives.

• toon22

Feb 13, 2019 at 5:50 PM

I’m shocked

Shocked I say

MA not selling us is totally out of the blue

He won’t sell until he’s forced too

• Jail for Ashley

Feb 13, 2019 at 5:50 PM

Bobby,
    Those three club owners own the ground outright.

• toon22

Feb 13, 2019 at 5:50 PM

Those two roundabout outside of Shirebrook might help him think again

• Jail for Ashley

Feb 13, 2019 at 5:52 PM

So has that ten year deal been extended?

• toon22

Feb 13, 2019 at 5:56 PM

What about the 5 year plan ?

Or just about every single word that’s crawled out of MAs pie hole

• Mag52

Feb 13, 2019 at 6:05 PM

Robleenio.

That Declan Rice. Ireland’s loss is very much England’s gain. Some player!

• Jib

Feb 13, 2019 at 6:09 PM

Rice
    3 times the player that Jordan Henderson is !

• Bobbybee

Feb 13, 2019 at 6:11 PM

Jail, they don’t mate. That’s one of the problems at Coventry – who owns the ground.
    We ‘boycotted’ in the eighties too and the only thing that saved us was SJH and his money. McKeag had no intention of selling regardless. He only sold because SJH paid through the nose.
    And look at the gratitude he got from some on here!
    Said it until I’m sick of saying it. If you want to boycott, do so. I’m not asking anybody to go to games, but nobody tells me how to spend my time and money – period. Show me one club where it has worked. Prove to me that stopping doing something I’ve done all my life will get rid of Ashley. It didn’t get rid of McKeag. Money did. Money talks. I’m in it for life mate and frankly, I’m fed up of discussing it. I’ve made my stance pretty damn clear. I hate Ashley, but I love Newcastle more. I don’t know what more I can say tbh.
    Anyway, got to go. My missus wants some time with me where I ain’t talking football! 🙂 Catch ya’ll later.

• Jib

Feb 13, 2019 at 6:12 PM

• Bobbybee

Feb 13, 2019 at 6:14 PM

Jail, before I go, yes, mine has. Until 2022/3. I assume I’m nothing special, so everybody’s must’ve been. Later mate.

• geordietom

Feb 13, 2019 at 6:19 PM

toon22 … ok then so know you ( we know he’s (Ashley aint gonna sell the club) …

does that mean you’ll go all quiet …

or are you gonna keep banging on and relish THE NO SALE …

straight answers to my 2 questions …

• JP...from The Rock

Feb 13, 2019 at 6:26 PM

Ed- “how Rafa has failed once again to sell Newcastle United“ – I think you meant to say ‘that greedy bastard Ashley….’

• Jail for Ashley

Feb 13, 2019 at 6:29 PM

If that deal has been extended then it shows beyond doubt he’s got no intention of selling, why on earth would he saddle someone else with lower ticket prices?

• Jib

Feb 13, 2019 at 6:30 PM

Ed posted this article nearly 2 hours ago
    Anybody else want to point out he made a typo ?

FFS is that’s all you have to say
    Say fcuk all

🙁

• Jib

Feb 13, 2019 at 6:38 PM

It’s quite strong though

• geordietom

Feb 13, 2019 at 6:42 PM

jib canny piece in the chronicle mate about a trawler that went down 100 years ago with all hands” THE BERNICIA ” think you’ll like it mate …

• Jail for Ashley

Feb 13, 2019 at 7:00 PM

geordietom,
    He’ll tell you that was wrong and he was the owner survivor!

• toon22

Feb 13, 2019 at 7:00 PM

But we were led to believe that a sale was all but done

Seems like it was a whole load of cobblers

Again

Who do you think he will pretend to sell us too next time ??

• toon22

Feb 13, 2019 at 7:01 PM

Or the time after that ?

Or after that ?

Its never MAs fault

• Dondatta13

Feb 13, 2019 at 7:01 PM

Blackpool enter receivership ahead of sale but risk 12-point deduction.

I wonder what impact this will have on our young lads out on loan there?

• Dondatta13

Feb 13, 2019 at 7:07 PM

Interesting…

The millions are owed by the Oystons to Belokon following a court judgment in 2017 that the Oystons “illegitimately stripped” the club of £26.77m in a salary and other payments to their own companies, following Blackpool’s single, 2010-11 season in the Premier League. They were ordered to pay that sum to Belokon plus the £4.5m cost of his 20% investment in the club in 2006, a total of £31m, of which only £10m is understood to have been paid.

If only Ashelu could be nailed in such a manner.

• Jib

Feb 13, 2019 at 7:09 PM

tom , read it ta

• geordietom

Feb 13, 2019 at 7:09 PM

toon22 you still never answered my questions…

toon22 answers on a post card to changeyourtune.com…