web analytics

Shelvey Went Against Rafa’s Advice – It Didn’t Work

Jonjo Shelvey has now returned to full training, and he’s been out of action far too long with that thigh problem.

So that’s good news this morning.

Jonjo has had to go on regular trips to Barcelona to see a specialist for the injury.

But Shelvey wants to play every game, and he seems to want to come back from injuries too early – because of that enthusiasm.

Sometimes injuries need rest; otherwise, they flare up again.

Jonjo Shelvey has had trouble with his thigh injury

This is what Jonjo has said in an interview with nufcTV:

“I went away in the summer and got myself even fitter to be honest with you and came back to pre-season and then that happens.”

“You’re in and out and it’s hard to get that momentum, to manage the pain.”

“I was literally just hobbling around the pitch and I can’t give the best account of myself for this football club and for myself so I needed to take the time off.”

“It’s been hard and the manager said to me to just nip it in the bud and get it sorted, but I just wanted to keep playing and playing and playing.”

“I eventually learnt my lesson to nip it in the bud and it’s been six weeks now since I kicked a football.”

“Coming out here and starting to re-integrate with the team just brings a smile to your face.” “It’s hard.”

“You’re literally going into training every day and you’re seeing the lads smiling and training outside and running around and that.”

“Even on a match day, you miss that buzz of putting the kit on and playing for your club.

“It was probably my fault in the first place why I’ve been out so long.”

“I should have nipped it in the bud and took a few weeks in pre-season to get it right but the way I am, I just want to play football and go through the pain barrier.”

“Sometimes you have to think about yourself and look after your body and that’s something I realized over the last four or five weeks.”

In the future it’s best to listen to Rafa – he’s seen it all and done it all in football management including how to handle injuries.

• Jail for Ashley

Feb 15, 2019 at 9:18 AM

This is where you need an Alan Pardew to ignore all medical advice to snatch a 2-2 draw then go on a record losing streak.

• Jail for Ashley

Feb 15, 2019 at 9:20 AM

Without any fear of the sack at all.

• Mag52

Feb 15, 2019 at 9:24 AM

Jail.

Who was it that allowed an injured Jonjo to keep playing and playing and playing I wonder ?
    Bit of a mystery that.

• Rotonda heights

Feb 15, 2019 at 9:27 AM

Jib,

Nah, not going to shut my mouth, there’s a good chap.

If everyone who pointed out your lack of class was told to shut up, just imagine where’d we’d be, there’d be no forum left.

• Jail for Ashley

Feb 15, 2019 at 9:29 AM

Mag52,
    I took it from the headline it was Rafa who stopped him from playing.

• Jail for Ashley

Feb 15, 2019 at 9:35 AM

Rotonda,
    You cut Jiblets so much slack yet he still speaks to you like that.

• Jail for Ashley

Feb 15, 2019 at 9:37 AM

Considering his outrage at my comment yesterday after yet again calling me a mackem
    Jeff from Benwell // Aug 8, 2014 at 5:32 PM
    Ciaran
    It is so sad for you that there is no real industry on Tyneside any more
    You might have made a few bob as a rabble rousing union official
    There’s SFA to be made trying to stir up football fans Try selling your bum down the quayside with the other Irish club tossers”.

• Munster Mag

Feb 15, 2019 at 9:59 AM

Jail so you see equivalence between his calling you a Sunderland person and you falsely claiming he abused kids. Are you for real?????

• Linka1984

Feb 15, 2019 at 12:15 PM

Players hide injuries & tell managers they’re fine to play, when in reality they’re not…
    Just like Shelvey said, they’ll battle on & play through the pain barrier, but that can cause even more problems in the long run.
    Hopefully he’ll be ready for first team action very soon & could be like a new signing for the club?

• Mo Drysdale

Feb 15, 2019 at 2:56 PM

———————————————————————-Dúbravka———————————————————————————————————Schar————————-Lascelles—————————-Lejeune—————————————–Yedlin————————————————–Longstaff———————————————–Barreca————————————————-Ki——————————————————————-Shelvey——————————————————————————————————-Almiron——————————————————————————————————————————————–Rondon———————————————————————

Not a bad Team