web analytics

Miguel Almiron And Ayoze Perez Start Against Huddersfield

Rafa Benitez has just announced the team to play at home to Huddersfield this afternoon.

This game is a relegation 6 pointer and one we must win if we are to get away from the relegation zone soon.

And Rafa will give Miguel Almiron his first start for Newcastle at St. James’ Park this afternoon and he starts alongside Ayoze Perez – who is another man in form at the moment.

And as expected Sean Longstaff and Isaac Hayden retain their positions in central midfield after some excellent recent performances.

In our predicted team for today, we had Paul Dummett in for Florian Lejeune.

Miguel Almiron – makes home debut today

This is what Rafa has said about Huddersfield in the lead up to the game:

“I’ve said before that every game for us is like a final.”

“Huddersfield is the first one, people are expecting ‘Oh we have to win’ but it’s the Premier League.”

“We have confidence and obviously we know that, if we win these two games we will be closer to staying up.”

“But my estimation is still the same, carry on what you have been doing, approach this game with confidence, believing that we can get the three points and see what happens.”

A vast majority of Newcastle fans are expecting us to win this game – we hope they are right.

How Will Newcastle Fare Against Huddersfield Town?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

Howay The Lads!!

• davetoon

Feb 23, 2019 at 2:02 PM

Great to see such an attacking side. Howay the lads. 4-0.

• Mister Tuff

Feb 23, 2019 at 2:04 PM

Rafa was on the telly last night talking about an early goal. Great that Almiron is starting.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Feb 23, 2019 at 2:07 PM

Perez and Rondon up top with Almiron behind, or Almiron and Perez either side in a narrow midfield 4?

• Bambams

Feb 23, 2019 at 2:09 PM

Hope the fans allow Miggy the Magpie a bit of time, he will take 5 or 6 games to realise what the league is about. Dont putvtoo much expectation on the lad – not fair on him.

Just worry he tries to take on too many players but gets dispossessed or runs into a wall.

He will be so up for this match, Rafa will hopefully give him plenty of advice.

I am going for Toon win 5-0 miggy to score 8 but three disallowed

Smiley face

• Asi Fish

Feb 23, 2019 at 2:10 PM

What’s the team? It wont show up here due to MOD restrictions……….

Glad I’m wrong that Almiron is starting!! Half an hour and I’m heading home to watch 🙂

• Mister Tuff

Feb 23, 2019 at 2:10 PM

Jib

Feb 23, 2019 at 9:13 AM

You have to realise (Rafa certainly will)
    that although he has trained hard , played
    45 minutes in a friendly , and come on as a late
    sub – Miggy is nowhere near completely match-fit.
    Huddersfield , fresh , will be more than a match for him.
    He will be best used as an impact player when the Terriers are tiring

Jibjanjustafan – err no!!

Stick to rugby.

• Munster Mag

Feb 23, 2019 at 2:11 PM

2-1 Burnley. I don’t think they are bad enough to go down. We need to get beyond them.

• Jib

Feb 23, 2019 at 2:12 PM

Whoops
    Burnley 2 Spurs 1

Almiron ostensibly starting on the left
    but with licence for a free roaming role
    I would guess

• Jib

Feb 23, 2019 at 2:13 PM

Mr Tuff stick to posting pics of men getting
    their bottoms smacked.

😀

• Lilongwe Geordie

Feb 23, 2019 at 2:14 PM

Asi,
    Dubs,
    Yedlin, Schaar, Lascelles Lejeune Ritchie
    Hayden Longstaff
    Perez Almiron
    Rondon

• Lilongwe Geordie

Feb 23, 2019 at 2:16 PM

Jib,
    I think that’s probably right. There is a lot of work rate, and a decent amount of talent in that side.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Feb 23, 2019 at 2:19 PM

Tuff,
    In fairness Jib’s rationale behind that post was fairly well reasoned. That Rafa has decided to (or looks like he has decided) to take the game to them from the off doesn’t make Jib’s post stupid.

• JP...from The Rock

Feb 23, 2019 at 2:19 PM

So Almiron in for Atsu is the only change and I can’t wait to see what Miggy can do from the start, and at home being roared on by the crowd. Really happy to see Longstaff keeps his place too, very well deserved.

We need the win desperately, I don’t care how. Especially now that Burnley are going to win against Spurs.

• Asi Fish

Feb 23, 2019 at 2:22 PM

Lilongwe Geordie – thank you for that looking forward to seeing this team. Fair play to Rafa to sticking with the players playing well. Is Atsu on bench?

• BenArfa the magician

Feb 23, 2019 at 2:23 PM

Barreca must be another signing similar to Lazaar a number but dog sh1t, can’t even make the bench ahead of Manquillo.

• Mister Tuff

Feb 23, 2019 at 2:24 PM

Lilo – never mentioned anything about “stupid” – just that it was not correct.

An equally valid rationale was that prior to transferring Almiron had been training for about 4 weeks with Atlanta. Rafa yesterday said he was fit.
    Plus he is our most expensive signing – better not sitting on the bench.
    There a more valid rationale!

• Lilongwe Geordie

Feb 23, 2019 at 2:24 PM

Asi,
    Yeah, Atsu, Jos, Manuillo, Dummy, Ki, Kennedy and Woodman

• AncientC

Feb 23, 2019 at 2:24 PM

Huddersfield: Lossl, Smith, Hogg, Bacuna, Kachunga, Mooy, Lowe, Depoitre, Zanka, Schindler, Puncheon.
    Subs: Hamer, Kongolo, Billing, Grant, Mounie, Stankovic, Hadergjonaj.

• Jib

Feb 23, 2019 at 2:24 PM

I hope my reading of the Almiron situation doesn’t
    bite us in the ass.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Feb 23, 2019 at 2:27 PM

Tuff,
    Fair enough, you didn’t call it stupid. There have been a fair few incorrect line up predictions aside from that mind!

I’ll be honest mate, I haven’t paid enough attention recently to have read or heard what Almiron has been doing training wise. I doubt he will last the full game, but I’m looking forward to seeing how he gets on! I definitely wanted him to start, and hoped he would, but I wouldn’t have been overly shocked if he hadn’t either!

• Transfer Sage

Feb 23, 2019 at 2:28 PM

As I posted earlier in the week, we have players back and it gives Rafa options. I was happy with keeping the same side, or changing players, there are merits to both. I can’t complain with any team selection today and I like the side we have out.

• toonbrother

Feb 23, 2019 at 2:29 PM

Ritchie is quite poor when it comes to making smart forward passes
    I Hope he doesn’t suppress miggys attacking instincts on the left

• Mag :P

Feb 23, 2019 at 2:30 PM

Jib

When did mister tuff post that?

Asking for a friend…

• Jib

Feb 23, 2019 at 2:35 PM

Mag : P
    Are you sure your asking for a friend
    you little tinker ?
    😛

• Mister Tuff

Feb 23, 2019 at 2:36 PM

Lilo- I believe that Almiron had even shortened his holiday break to get extra training in before he transferred.

When he came on the other day – he looked a bit lost – better in my eyes to start him – he gets the tempo straight away.

As you say may not last full game.

• Mag :P

Feb 23, 2019 at 2:37 PM

Shhh

😉

• Lilongwe Geordie

Feb 23, 2019 at 2:38 PM

Sage,
    I’d have quite liked Ki in for Hayden, but given his recent showings that might have been harsh on him.

• toonbrother

Feb 23, 2019 at 2:38 PM

Wow how BAD is Barrecca
    Can’t even make the bench
    What the hell

• Mister Tuff

Feb 23, 2019 at 2:40 PM

Lilo – I’ll be looking out for that instant acceleration away from opponents.

• GeordieinOhio

Feb 23, 2019 at 2:40 PM

Good Morning ALL!…..GOOD NEWS….I have a healthy supply of hob nobs….

I can honestly say seeing miggy in the starting line has made me very excited, I have not been this excited over a game for awhile …..I am so excited I could crush a grape!!!, wrestle an actionman!!, jump over a barbie doll house!!!

• Lilongwe Geordie

Feb 23, 2019 at 2:41 PM

What is the deal with Barreca? Has anything been said? Granted, Manquillo can cover both flanks, and Dummet could offer us a change in formation or a centre half option. I guess that maybe answers why he isn’t in.

• Mister Tuff

Feb 23, 2019 at 2:41 PM

Mag P – don’t believe what jibjanjustafan comes out with – mostly tosh.

• toonbrother

Feb 23, 2019 at 2:41 PM

I would have gone with ki instead of longstaff
    If we are trying to take the game to them We need ki’s vision and creativity in the centre of the park
    Longstaff is good at keeping things nice and simple
    But I’m not sure he has mastered the art of delivering defence splitting passes the way shelvey and ki have.
    Not yet anyway

• Hail Wor Ashley

Feb 23, 2019 at 2:43 PM

Much anticipation surrounding Almiron, hoep he hits the gorund running.

Must win, should win.

Expect it will be a straight swap for Atsu, no change in formation, Perez and Almiron tucked inside playing from level with the width of the 18 yard-box with a bit of freedom.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Feb 23, 2019 at 2:44 PM

Tuff,
    I thought he looked ike he wanted to do too much to make an instant impression when he came on against Wolves, which made him seem a bit like a headless chicken at times. The break and training with the squad should have given him better tactical awareness of his role within the setup.

Yeah, it will be exciting to seeing a player running with the ball at pace and with intent! It feels like a long time since we’ve been treated to that in black and white!

• Asi Fish

Feb 23, 2019 at 2:44 PM

Work can eat my grits, I’m outta here to go and warm up BFBS for some live Toon football.

Fingers crossed, happy smiles, beer, footie, rugby, BBQ…………BOOM.

Keep it real. HWTL

• GeordieinOhio

Feb 23, 2019 at 2:47 PM

ASI FISH….dont forget ya biscuit browns! what ya cooking on ya BBQ? compo sausage and bacon grill? lol

• Jib

Feb 23, 2019 at 2:47 PM

Is this the post of a normal footy fan ?

Mister Tuff
    Jun 7, 2016 at 8:08 PM
    carl/Ian – never mind Rafa Lotion.
    You’ll need some proprietary lotion from Boots the Chemists to apply to your jacksie after I administer a damn good thrashing to your flabby buttocks with my thwacking cane.

A definite anal fixation methinks

• Jib

Feb 23, 2019 at 2:48 PM

compo rations
    You would have to mention them on a match day
    uuuggggh!

• GeordieinOhio

Feb 23, 2019 at 2:49 PM

lmfao JIB… c’mon you know you would kill for a compo sausage right now

1 2 3 8