web analytics

Emotional Rondon Wants To Stay – It’s An Honor To Play For This Club

One of the challenges Mike Ashley will face to keep Rafa Benitez at the club is to somehow work out how we can get Salomon Rondon at the club for next season.

The Venezuelan has had a terrific season for us with 8 total goals – 7 of those in the Premier League – and he has looked some player for Newcastle United this season.

West Brom want £16M for him, but it would be waste to pay that for a player who will become a free agent next summer, and who is very unlikely to agree to a new deal to stay with West Brom.

But that could be one of the big challenges for Ashley to keep Rafa – maybe we can buy out his contract at West Brom?

Salomon Rondon – after scoring on Saturday – YES!!!
Miguel Almiron looks pretty happy too!

This is some of what Rondon has said as published in the Shields Gazette today:

“If it is possible then, of course, I would want to stay,”

“At this stage, nobody knows what’s going to happen. It’s not completely in my hands, but I love the supporters and I love living in the city. My family are very happy here.”

“But you never know what will happen. While I’m here, all I can do is try my best. It is an honor to be here and to play for this club”

“I feel the love of the fans, and that’s important to me. “When I came off against Huddersfield, it felt like everybody in the stadium were on their feet and that was so emotional, not just for me but for my family, too.”

“I hope they can see that I’m always trying to do my best, but being here is just such a huge privilege for me and those close to me.”

“It’s a massive honor for me to wear this shirt because you’re talking about the famous No 9 shirt,”

“When you talk about all the famous strikers who have been at this club, from Alan Shearer to all the others.”

“It’s a big thing, but I love that pressure of following in their footsteps, of following all that history.”

“You want to do justice to that shirt by scoring goals and playing well, and when you’re not scoring goals it’s important to stay strong and do your best.”

It will be tragic if for some reason we cannot get Salomon on the books for next season.

Rondon has a good three or four years left in him at the top level and he’s proved he is an excellent player under Rafa Benitez and knows he’s now a much better player than when he first arrived at Newcastle.

He’s also a lot fitter now.

What do you think?

How Will Newcastle Fare Against Burnley?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• jayphoto

Feb 25, 2019 at 1:30 PM

I think regarding Shelvey… if we continue with this system (and its working) then Shelvey is going to struggle, because one of the CMS is going to be either Hayden or Diame! The system calls for that ball winner. Which means Shelvey is up against Longstaff and Ki for the other central midfield spot. Now he doesn’t get around half as much as either of them and arguably earlier on in the season was losing a battle with Ki to play games, and with the emergence of Longstaff is probably 3rd choice if we stay with this set up. Its a very similar set up to Southgates england, who also didn’t think shelvey suited it. In my opinion Shelvey suits a 4-3-3 in a quarter back role with the team built around him, probably behind Longstaff and Diame but that weakens the rest of the team as Yedlin is a better RWB than a RB, Almiron doesn’t suit a 4-3-3, neither does Ritchie or Perez and it means we drop one of the very consistant CBs. The other option is Benitez 4-2-3-1, which suits Shelvey but see’s Benitez having to drop one of Perez or Almiron aswell as again a CB. Kenedy comes into play here, because had he been the Kenedy of last year I could see us going with the 4-2-3-1 and Kenedy wide left with Benitez being forced to play that system to get the best players on the pitch,
    Ultimately, 3-4-2-1 is working wonderfully, and if we’re all honest, does Shelvey deserve to come in ahead of Longstaff? im not so sure.

• jayphoto

Feb 25, 2019 at 1:33 PM

the 3-4-2-1 to work requires the 2 CMs to cover absolute mileage and retain the ball intelligently moving it on.
    Its just not Shelveys game despite how talented he is..
    For Shelvey to come in, he’d not only be replacing a player who didn’t deserve to lose his place in midfield, but it’d be a change of system that would have to see Lejeune or Schar lose their place and that back 3 has been rock solid and has seen the fullbacks defensive frailties less exposed

• Lee Charnley Bunga Party

Feb 25, 2019 at 1:38 PM

@Jayphoto

The thing that would also worry me about Shelvey is he is always likely to do something daft like a trailing leg or a mad tackle !

• The next Mike Williamson

Feb 25, 2019 at 1:44 PM

Jay,
    What you’re saying makes sense, 3 at the back suits us as we have crap wingers and decent wingbacks. But Shelvey has been our best player for two seasons in a row and has just been injured this year. He hasn’t played in this new formation yet so maybe he will do OK alongside a ball winner. One concern I’d have is that if two of our centre backs are playing it out they will likely bypass him looking for Almiron or Rondon. Also as we’re not currently a possession team I’m not sure we need two playmakers (if Almiron turns out to be a playmaker type). Shelvey is a joy to watch when he’s on form and I don’t think he was only good because of Gayle’s runs. I’ve seen him put Joselu clean through a few times with sublime passes and that must take some doing. I’d like to see him get a chance before being sold/ written off.

• martoon

Feb 25, 2019 at 1:45 PM

@jayphoto – good analysis – so if we continue with this shape Shelvey might get fed up and want away in the Summer – if Rafa was given the money I don’t think I’d mind.

• The next Mike Williamson

Feb 25, 2019 at 1:49 PM

I imagine Burnley are going to target Schar with their long balls as he’s not so experienced playing against this type of team. It’s possibly the type of game Clark would thrive in. They’re one of the teams I predicted to go down but it’s not looking likely now unfortunately. They’re a horrible team. Like a dour version of the crazy gang. Maybe the most defensive team I’ve ever seen in the premier.

• jayphoto

Feb 25, 2019 at 1:49 PM

@the next MW .. think the problem is with the 3-4-2-1 is it works around Schar and Lejeune bringing the ball out, it’d be stifled if Shelvey kept coming back to pick up the ball and bring it out himself as it’d pull the system out of shape.
    I think he’s our most talented CM, his passing range is immense but at the risk of going moneyball, im not sure its in the interests of the team to bring in an 8/10 player into the middle when hes not actually a million miles better than the player he’d replace at the expense of the whole system which would turn 2, 7/10 wingbacks into 5/10 full backs….
    Shelvey coming back strengthens us as a squad but atm the system is king and i see him as plan B off the bench

• ilovetoon8788

Feb 25, 2019 at 1:51 PM

Hayden has been real impressive recently. Hayden and Longstaff are our first choice CM pairing. no way they are gonna be dislodged.

• Lee Charnley Bunga Party

Feb 25, 2019 at 1:51 PM

Thing I like about Hayden and Longstaff is that they are relentless they don’t give other teams a second on the ball which knocks the rhythm out of teams as we seen with Man City!

I think we would lose a bit with Shelvey and Diame not 100% match fit coming into the system although there is no doubt they could make a good contribution

• The next Mike Williamson

Feb 25, 2019 at 1:53 PM

From your earlier post Martoon,
    ilovetoon88 has already declared Almiron a waste of money etc. He had several posts of that type after the CSKA friendly in which Almiron played 45 minutes. Thank god that guy doesn’t post every ten minutes or this blog would really suffer.

• ilovetoon8788

Feb 25, 2019 at 1:55 PM

very well said. at the moment 3421 is doing wonders for us with schar and lejeune bringing the ball out and spraying passes from the back.

shelvey will just get completely bypassed. he doesn’t suit our system. Ki at the moment is ahead of Shelvey as it suits our system better.

Shelvey is 3rd or 4th choice CM now. hopefully he gets sold this summer.

• mactoon

Feb 25, 2019 at 2:05 PM

Rondon gets it..
    I wish the owner did!

• Geordie-john

Feb 25, 2019 at 4:36 PM

I honestly think that Shelvey will be at the likes of West Ham next season unless something dramatic happens. He will fetch a hefty price and maybe that would fund the purchase of Rondon and hopefully the return of Dwight Gayle who be better suited to the electric pace of Miggy . We could be verging on becoming a formidable attacking force again !