web analytics

Rafa Refuses To Be Drawn On His Newcastle Future

Rafa Benitez was interviewed on BT Sport after last night’s game at home to Burnley by Jake Humphrey, and he tries to get Rafa to address his long term future and whether he will be staying at Newcastle past June.

Bt Rafa continued to turn the attention back to football and how we did last night (won 2-0!) and the tough game that lies ahead in London against West Ham.

It’s clear that Rafa will not talk to the press about his future, but Newcastle are getting close to survival with 13 points picked up in the previous 6 games.

Rafa thinks 38 points will do it and that’s two wins and a draw so we could be close.

Rafa Benitez on the touchline last night

This is some of what he said to Jake Humphrey following Newcastle’s excellent 2-0 win against Burnley last night:

“Before the game, I said I was focused on the game. After the game, I’m focused on the West Ham game so we have to try and concentrate on that.”

“Obviously, I know this is a situation (my contract) that, in time, we have to manage.

“But the main thing is to ensure if we do something, that we have a project, to show some ambition and we have to show really we want to be a top side.”

“I was talking with Mike Ashley and Lee Charnley so they know what I think so it’s not a question to talk about, ‘We want one player.'”

“We talk about what we have, what we want to do with the academy, training ground and everything so it’s just to ensure that we have a project.”

“We can do it.”

“The little things we can improve a lot and hopefully we can.”

“But at the moment it’s just to enjoy the game and try to prepare the next one which also will be a tough game.”

“38 points, maybe, that is the target.”

“The fans are happy because we won and they all understand why he won’t talk about that.”

“So I think it’s time to talk about football and there will be plenty of time to talk about other things.”

Let’s hope we can keep winning and then once we reach 40 points maybe Rafa will talk again to Ashley about his Newcastle future.

But the lads cannot let up once we are safe – we did that last season and lost four of the final five games.

We have to get as many wins as possible in the 10 games remaining.

We’re sure Rafa will agree with that.

🙂

Who Was Newcastle's Best Player Against Burnley?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• magpie6699

Feb 27, 2019 at 1:41 PM

Great game against a “physical” i.e. dirty team. Diame was elbowed, Joselu nearly stamped on and abused (without any card) and Schar must be covered in bruises. I did like one comment which said that when Crouch came on Burnley changed tactics from booting it up high to booting it right up high!

• toon22

Feb 27, 2019 at 1:48 PM

Chi Onwurah’s meeting with Mike Ashley convinced the MP that he will not sell Newcastle United ‘unless he is forced to’.

Sounds very familiar

😉

• Oldgit1

Feb 27, 2019 at 1:51 PM

Re Schar I’m sure he only signed a 2 yr contract, can anyone confirm the length of his contract, really concerned we haven’t got him tied up to a longer one.

• toon22

Feb 27, 2019 at 1:52 PM

Sports Direct was required by the FRC to hand over documents relating to its auditor, Grant Thornton. The material requested included a document containing legal advice which Sports Direct had shown to Grant Thornton during the course of the audit, but which Grant Thornton had not retained. Sports Direct resisted the request on the grounds that the material was protected by privilege.

The High Court held that the fact that Sports Direct had shared the document with its auditor did not mean that the document was no longer privileged.

Tick..Tock..Tick..

• RobLeenio

Feb 27, 2019 at 1:55 PM

Well, that’s yet another thread killed by Kermit

Muppet!

• Bambams

Feb 27, 2019 at 1:56 PM

It’s odd but we were playing a bit better away from home until the last few games, which to be honest makes me a little bit intrigued to see how we play at West Ham.

I think Almiron will have his best game so far against the hammers, watched them against Fulham and there back four, especially the two CB’s looked very uncomfortable.

Last thing they want is Miggy ‘Roadrunner’ Almiron coming at them.

Looking forward to it already.

• martoon

Feb 27, 2019 at 1:57 PM

toon22 @42 – I think most of us on here agree with you but don’t feel the need to repeat it ad infinitum and just because there are posters who are not as anti-Ashley as you would like them to be does not mean they work for Ashley’s PR department!

• Jib

Feb 27, 2019 at 1:58 PM

Hiya Mark

• Oldgit1

Feb 27, 2019 at 2:07 PM

@ Bambams. Roadrunner love it. Beep beep

• Jib

Feb 27, 2019 at 2:14 PM

I always thought it was more of a meep meep
    rather than a beep beep

• Nostradamus the Geordie

Feb 27, 2019 at 2:16 PM

I know we are not the team we could be but after watching the last few games it’s nice to see that other teams we play against are not doing there usual walking the ball out of defense to the halfway line like the start of the season.

Other teams now know we ain’t the Newcastle of last year and now they have to actually start playing balls out of the back and that’s making a huge difference.
    Roll on West Ham let’s get that away win and start thinking up the league and not worrying about down.

• Munster Mag

Feb 27, 2019 at 2:16 PM

Roadrunner, I like it! Was really confident about last night and thought we wud hit 3 before the game. Anyway, we were talking about Schar, Miggy, 3 Centre backs, West ham etc…. And then the frog came along…

• RobLeenio

Feb 27, 2019 at 2:20 PM

Surely, being from Latin America, ‘Speedy’ Gonzalez is more appropriate?

In which case, isn’t it “Arriba Arriba Andale Andale”

• Lee Charnley Bunga Party

Feb 27, 2019 at 2:22 PM

@Munster

Be some epic battles this weekend Rice vs Longstaff , Rondon vs Diop , Richie vs Zabaleta !!

• Munster Mag

Feb 27, 2019 at 2:28 PM

Diop is huuuuge! Obviously I hope longstaff comes out on top after what that tool did re Rep of Ireland

• Vask

Feb 27, 2019 at 2:30 PM

Actually Rob,

Roadrunners and speedy gonzalaedae share a similar geographical population distribution. Therefore niether would be more suitable than the other to use. Though I do recall speedy used to do a bit of music which is similar to the roadrunner in the canteen during warm weather training. Yet, roadrunner is a better nickname. On top of that Miggy and roadrunners, they kind of run the same.

So, y’knah, think before you type.

• RobLeenio

Feb 27, 2019 at 2:41 PM

Lol Vask, sorry – I evidently didn’t grasp how serious the debate was, nor how peoples’ passions were boiling over.

I’ll do my own roadrunner impression and bury my head in the sand till I’m forgiven

• Oldgit1

Feb 27, 2019 at 3:45 PM

@ RobLeenio lol.

• dekka

Feb 27, 2019 at 4:55 PM

Hey I’m new here but I felt I had to say something today. The football’s good, we’re winning games and the sun is shining. I’ll just enjoy it and try to forget everything that came before. Mind you, if it’s the same this time next year then I’m off.