web analytics

Midfielder Will Get The Deal He Wants At Newcastle – Or Leave In The Summer

It’s being reported in the Chronicle that if Mo Diame starts 24 games this season he will be offered an automatic one-year extension in the summer when his current three-year contract runs out.

Before Mo was injured he had made 21 starts so since coming back he has made 3 substitute appearances so he still needs 3 more starts to activate the automatic one-year extension clause.

But as we mentioned earlier today Diame would like a two-year extension and it seems that if he cannot get that on Tyneside he will become a free agent this summer.

Rafa Benitez and Mo Diame in training at Benton

This is what Mo said after the West Ham game about his current situation:

“As I have said before it will not be a problem because the club know my position.”

“I am focused on what this club needs to stay up, as that is the most important thing.”

“I have been playing a lot this season so it will not be a problem to find another team.”

“They (Newcastle) know I want to stay.”

“But it’s not about me, it is about the club and what they want to do.”

“I am focused on the job of staying up and there will be time in the summer to think about this.”

“I am happy at Newcastle. It was tough at the beginning but I settled down.”

“If I can stay I will stay, but if I have to go, I will go.”

“It won’t be a problem.”

We’re sure Rafa wants Mo to stay for another two years becasue he’s a player Rafa trusts and the former Senegal International has massive experience in the Premier League.

He’s been a good player for us in the Premier League since early last year when he struck up such a good partnership with Jonjo Shelvey in the middle of the park.

Now he is fighting for his future at Newcastle but will easily get another club for two years if he has to leave Newcastle.

Even if he doesn’t make 24 starts for us he could still be offered a two-year deal to stay at Newcastle.

Who Was Newcastle's Best Player At West Ham?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

Should Newcastle Sell Shelvey for £20M This Summer?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• Jail for Ashley

Mar 4, 2019 at 9:45 AM

Nicky,

• cyprus

Mar 4, 2019 at 9:51 AM

I think this player deserves an extension no matter clauses etc. He’s proven it. Especially given the fact that two MF s will probably be gone. Anyway, that area is due a change.

On moving up the table, I’ve been trained to look down. Cardiff are stubbornly sticking around, they are probably thinking 21 points to play for, lots of opportunities..

I’d take our current position or even what Rafa said. One place above the bottom three.

Of course, one can always dream of the Europa league 😉

• cyprus

Mar 4, 2019 at 9:53 AM

Cardiff have a tougher run in although they’ve been playing ok…

• Jail for Ashley

Mar 4, 2019 at 9:55 AM

Cyprus, they’ve lost the last three conceding ten goals, I’m not sure how stubborn that is mind.

• Bambams

Mar 4, 2019 at 9:56 AM

Give him another contract that if he plays more than a certain number of games it automatically gives him another 12 months.

Mo has to realise Rafa will be looking to bring in a replacement for Hayden and he might not play that many games.

I thought he played very well when he came on against the Hammers and I like his style of play – but Ash wont allow a player on good money just to sit on the bench/squad

• Lee Charnley Bunga Party

Mar 4, 2019 at 10:07 AM

I actually think Cardiff have run out of steam they were playing through with adrenaline for a while there but after the last few games where they have been pounded it looks game over for them!

Would be a bit worried playing Everton after the derby they will be full of confidence and if they play to their maximum like West Ham did then we won’t beat them sadly!

• L Toon

Mar 4, 2019 at 10:12 AM

Jail,
    Cheers, in the context of the article, do you think rafa will stay? Rafa will lay the law down once safety is guaranteed and say this is what i want to stay. So ill love to see lardy and penfold explain it away that they cant offer rafa the bear minimum to stay. As lets face it, what rafa is asking for is simply to be able to compete.

Nicky
    Rafa wont let sentiment cloud his judgement this time, it will be a pure cold hearted decision and if lardy doesn’t come close to offering what he wants then hes off. I agree that over time investment in the academy is going to be more important but investment is paramount to build the team and squad to a position where it is strong enough to carry and integrate the youngsters. Rafa simply wont execpt nothing less than a speedier approach in the transfer market.

• Jail for Ashley

Mar 4, 2019 at 10:13 AM

LCBP,
    Aye, I think they got a head of steam from the emotions of Sala and up against other poor teams, reality has set back in and they’ve reverted to type, I think they’re gone, I also think we’ll put serious daylight between us and Soton when we play them.

• Nadeem

Mar 4, 2019 at 10:15 AM

So lochinvar claimed that he has worked for many years before.I would like to know what kind of work he did?
    That might brighten my day and avoid interacting with the stubborn Jail for Ashley.

• Jail for Ashley

Mar 4, 2019 at 10:16 AM

L Toon,
    I honestly don’t know, I was convinced he would leave when we were going through that terrible run, it really is down to the fat man, I don’t know how Ashley can explain him walking away after we all know how much he wants to stay and how basic his requirements are.

• Nicky the ball tosser

Mar 4, 2019 at 10:17 AM

Well yeah, we still need to buy well, faster great, but convincing Ashley to significantly change something that to his mind works is gonna be a tough ask, especially something so fundamental to how he operates. But to change other aspects of the way we do things, in ways that would work well in unison with the transfer policy we have, which essentially looks for good young players at more affordable prices, and would still offer a long term project for Rafa, that I think could hold water, but we’ll see.

• Jail for Ashley

Mar 4, 2019 at 10:18 AM

Nadeem,
    We never interact so knock that off your worry list.

• Jail for Ashley

Mar 4, 2019 at 10:20 AM

Nicky,
    He has to change or Rafa will be gone, it’s that simple. After three years of broken promises and lies I don’t think Rafa is willing to compromise, after all he’s not asking for mega dough, he simply wants things to be done professionally and not like a tat shop.

• Charlie in the Gallowgate

Mar 4, 2019 at 10:33 AM

someone mentioned the run in of Cardiff

with 9 to go except Brighton here is the run in of the bottom 8

Huddersfield v Watford
    Liverpool v Huddersfield
    Huddersfield v Man Utd
    Southampton v Huddersfield

• Jail for Ashley

Mar 4, 2019 at 10:34 AM

Anybody who feels like supporting the team without supporting Mike Ashley:

• Essex Geordie Bill

Mar 4, 2019 at 10:54 AM

Still a load of nonsense being said on the blog so no real desire to join in but I felt I had to over the should we sell Shelvey rubbish.
    366 football know nowts want to sell our best player, I find it unbelievable.

Also whilst I’m at it, apologise to Toon22, why should I or any one else do this, still don’t believe it is a real person so there’d be as much sense as apologising to my bloody PC if it was spewing out garbage.

A big hello to sensible bloggers, I do still read your comments, you know who you are so I won’t list your names as i’d probably omit someone and wouldn’t want to do that! 🙂

Finally I think someone labelled me as an attention seeker, duuuuhhhh! Talk about an oxymoronic comment, where anyone making a comment is seeking attention on this or any other blog.

Those with brain cells will get what I’m saying, the idiots will think I’m attention seeking!

The only other time I was tempted to post when there was some really good humerous banter several weeks ago involving (I think) G2 and Tsunki.

Oh and finally (finally) I was never expecting MA to sell the club which is why the Craster Kipper vow was made in the first place but my promise is still good and should it ever happen then I’ll keep it.

I’ll post again when I’m seeking some attention! 🙂

• DubaiMicky

Mar 4, 2019 at 10:59 AM

LOL EGB, but you haven’t given us a countdown!!!!!

• Lee Charnley Bunga Party

Mar 4, 2019 at 11:07 AM

Don’t feel that we should be selling Shelvey or looking to until we we see how we performs with Rondon, Almiron and with the wing back formation!

That’s a lot more movement than Shelvey was used to before he went injured the amount of width created by having Richie and Yedlin/Manquillo should allow Shelvey to be able to switch the play with quick passes to either flank when there is a man free.

Not sure where Almiron suits him either though teams know he doesn’t use his right foot so are forcing him inside already he would be much more dangerous on the right wing or central

• Essex Geordie Bill

Mar 4, 2019 at 11:19 AM

DubaiMicky

123 Hours 40 Minutes to KO

• RobLeenio

Mar 4, 2019 at 11:23 AM

Biiiillllllll – don’t disappear again.

De Chelonian Mobile!

• martoon

Mar 4, 2019 at 11:24 AM

Essex Geordie Bill – Nice to see you’re still about even if you don’t feel like posting too often.
    I agree with you about toon22 – I’ve said many times most of us agree with him about Ashley it is his methods of constantly chanting the same old mantra and accusing posters of being Ashley PR that rubs people up the wrong way. We don’t owe him an apology at all more like the other way around!

• L Toon

Mar 4, 2019 at 11:26 AM

Jail,
    My gut feeling is that rafa will leave, simply because the club wont do the bear minimum to keep him. But regardless of that, given the fact that wolves, Bournemouth, west ham, everton, watford, Leicester an everyone else will all invest, if we fail to do so then we will only fall further behind and it will be another customary relegation battle regardless of who the manager is.

• Jail for Ashley

Mar 4, 2019 at 11:26 AM

EGB,
    To be fair, if you’ve been reading as long as some on here you’ll know that the nonsense hasn’t changed in eleven years of posts so not sure why you’ve taken your stance but welcome back anyhow!

• Jail for Ashley

Mar 4, 2019 at 11:29 AM

L Toon,
    I argued with BandB about Ashley not stitching Rafa up, why would he go to such lengths to get him I said, why would he look this gift horse in the mouth? She was right, he used him to get us back in the PL and suck another few million out the coffers. I imagine that Rafa has become a massive thorn in his side and he’ll be glad to see the back of him, I just don’t know what the fall out will be, a few chants and the crowds down to 35K is about all I suppose.

• RobLeenio

Mar 4, 2019 at 11:35 AM

On Diame, he’s a cracking player but does seem to take a bit of time to get moving every season. I expect that will only get worse as he gets older, not better. Just seems logical to me.

We also have at least one other player whose best form comes after Christmas, namely Ayoze Perez. He’s a young man so it’s a bit of a mystery why he struggles to get going in the first half of the season, but it could be that he struggles to find space early doors as the rest of the team shakes off its rust, then his confidence drops. It’s been mentioned before that he’s a confidence player.

Be that as it may, can we afford to carry two players for the first half of the season when they haven’t yet hit top form? I’m not sure.

I’d like to see Diame get a new contract, but if he fails to win one then hopefully (assuming he’s still here) it will be at Rafa’s discretion. Like I said with Shelvey, if Rafa deems him surplus to requirements then I’ll wave him off with a smile and my gratitude for his service, but if Rafa wants him to stay then I’ll be delighted to see him pull on the black and white again next season.

• simon376

Mar 4, 2019 at 11:38 AM

EGB
    Good to see you back, please stay

• Bambams

Mar 4, 2019 at 11:40 AM

EGB

Nice to see you back fella, regardless if you decide to stay or go.

• lochinvar

Mar 4, 2019 at 11:48 AM

EssexGB
    Good to know that you’re keeping a watchful eye over us lot.
    Very sorry to hear that the kippers can’t be used this season so I would get them eaten now otherwise they might just be a health risk.
    You can buy fresh for the next transfer window when no doubt Richard Branston ( the pickles magnate) or Elton Musk ( Crocodile Rock ) will be bidding to buy the club.

Diame should now get his 3 games needed for his contract extension but whether or not he will maybe down to Charnley rather than Rafa.

Our home game against Southampton could be pivotal. Looks like they have an easier run in than most. It’s Cardiff that need to be isolated along with Fulham and Huddersfield. The sooner the better.

• DubaiMicky

Mar 4, 2019 at 11:57 AM

(Music post)

RIP Keith Flint, front man of The Prodigy, aged just 49.
    Will they pay “Firestarter” at his cremation?

• carltoon

Mar 4, 2019 at 12:09 PM

Welcome back Bill missed ya

• L Toon

Mar 4, 2019 at 12:09 PM

Jail,
    I genuinely dont know whether it irks lardy at the popularity that rafa has with us fans. But it will be cold hearted and rutheless and a whats best for me decision. The club dont want a rafa as manager, they want a rafa mark 5, whos simply grateful and wont challenge the stooges on the way they do things. My feeling is the club will spend regardless as 1. It will be one of the conditions for keeping rafa and 2. The excrement will hit the fan if rafa walks, protests back on, season tickets down, so to placate us fans they will spend. Bit if it is under a new manger, then it wont be a change in policy, and who will be buying the player’s is anyones guess.

• RobLeenio

Mar 4, 2019 at 12:10 PM

Holy crap Micky, that’s a proper shocker.
    🙁

• Nadeem

Mar 4, 2019 at 12:17 PM

Jail – I’m not a worried type.
    I always feel like I’m doing the right thing.
    I had trouble logging in yesterday.
    Something happened at 12 or 1 o’clock.
    You were doing the right thing and couldn’t back you up unfortunately.
    That might be the reason why you got upset today and revert to someone else ha ha…

• martoon

Mar 4, 2019 at 12:32 PM

Anybody understand the post @33? – no me neither!

Anyway to join the Ashley/Rafa will he, won’t he debate. I have a hope that Ashley has been holding money back to build up a war chest that can be offered to a new manager or preferably to Rafa to persuade him to sign. This is probably a forlorn hope as Ashley has probably pocketed the money to repay some of his loan!

• Nadeem

Mar 4, 2019 at 12:41 PM

martoon – nah, I prefer Mr Tuff than you.

• RobLeenio

Mar 4, 2019 at 12:41 PM

Another on-loan player coming out and saying the right things is Salomon Rondon. He’s made it very clear that he wants to be here long-term, he’s not just looking at next season or even the one after that, the way he’s speaking he wants to be here for the rest of his career.

I think the negotiations over Rondon (internal rather than those with West Brom) will have a massive impact on whether Rafa stays beyond this season or not.

• Mindshaft

Mar 4, 2019 at 12:44 PM

Met Keith Flint at a post tour party, he was off his face, sad to hear he kicked the bucket so erly

• lesh

Mar 4, 2019 at 12:49 PM

Who or what is The Prodigy? Is it one of those beat combos that young people like?

• Jail for Ashley

Mar 4, 2019 at 12:57 PM

Mindshaft,
    I hope you realise you’ll set Jib off with that post, we’ll now hear that Jib was their manager after installing satellites at their Braintree houses back in the eighties
    🙄