web analytics

Rafa Benitez Adamant Newcastle Could Lose Energy

Whenever Rafa is asked about his future and whether that will be at Newcastle he always says what he is concentrating on is ensuring that everybody associated with the club are only thinking about being safe in the Premier League.

He doesn’t want his players to be thinking about whether he will be here next season or not – he wants them to concentrate 100% on winning the game at home to Everton On Saturday.

Some of our players were lax in their concentration in the first half at West Ham last Saturday afternoon.

And we paid the price for that with a 2-0 defeat after conceding two poor goals in the first half.

Rafa Benitez – on the training pitch

Rafa was again asked about his future today, and this is what he told the Chronicle:

“It’ll be easier to talk about that once the team is safe.” “I don’t want the players to lose focus on the games.”

“We have to try to get three points and be sure we are safe.”

“It could be sooner or later, but let’s not talk about that because we will lose energy.”

Yesterday we had compatriot Ayoze Perez plead with the powers that be to take care of Rafa, so he stays long-term at the club.

And today American international Yedlin is a big fan of Rafa’s and wants the Spaniard to stay on at Newcastle:

“I think it’s very important.” “I think everyone has seen how he has brought the city together.”

“Even though we may not have started the season the best, we’ve ended it very well so I think, yeah, it’s very important.”

“As we all know, all the fans love him, the players love him and it would be great if he stayed.”

Here’s how we stand today before the weekend’s games.

PosTeamGamesGDPoints
10West Ham38-352
11Watford38-750
12Crystal Palace38-249
13Newcastle38-645
14Bournemouth38-1445
15Burnley38-2240
16Southampton38-2039
17Brighton38-2536
18Cardiff38-3534
19Fulham38-3726
20Huddersfield38-5416

How Will Newcastle Fare Against Everton?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• Jail for Ashley

Mar 7, 2019 at 10:59 PM

Just a fan,
    It’s an urban myth, maybe the Mongol nation but not just one man.

• Online Guy

Mar 7, 2019 at 11:00 PM

Aye I recal JT .

He was into radio ..think he had a novice licence ..(that’ll bring him out !) Wasn’t him

No Tuff I recall the knacker telling loads of lies and he was not in the hospital he was rumbled by some ace sleuth on here ..Think he was from Lancashire. It was entertaining . Jail or Jib will recall him . Not sure if he is still at large here with a new name .

• Just a fan

Mar 7, 2019 at 11:04 PM

If it’s an urban myth it’s a good one

• Online Guy

Mar 7, 2019 at 11:06 PM

Just a fan , . So what your saying is …

…If Jail checks out his blood line there might be a trace of Genghis in there ? It figures.

• NY Mag

Mar 7, 2019 at 11:11 PM

OLG,

Rob vollens was rumbled by Belfast, if I remember correctly…..I think he may have had a few different accounts

• Online Guy

Mar 7, 2019 at 11:13 PM

NY..was he from Lancs ?

I also recal a fake Ruddy ?

Was good craic !

• Just a fan

Mar 7, 2019 at 11:14 PM

Online
    In all of us.apparently.
    Unless as he says it’s an urban myth.

• Online Guy

Mar 7, 2019 at 11:18 PM

So Genghis might of had a roll in the hay with me grannies grannies granny’s grannies granny?

• Online Guy

Mar 7, 2019 at 11:19 PM

I can now see where the skirmishes stem from on here !

• Online Guy

Mar 7, 2019 at 11:20 PM

Back soon.

• Tsunki

Mar 7, 2019 at 11:33 PM

Isn’t the artist formerly known as Rob Vollans our very own Mag :P? If so he’s a reformed character playing it straight. Ok straight-ish 🙂 I think he learned the error of his ways, he just has anti-frog anger issues but he’s hardly alone in that tbf. 😀

• Tsunki

Mar 7, 2019 at 11:35 PM

Me – Bill Shakespeare? Can’t see that somehow. On the other hand … Let me get back to you on that tomorrow. And tomorrow. And tomorrow….

• jane

Mar 7, 2019 at 11:36 PM

“In a former life …”

Online Guy was Val Doonican

• NY Mag

Mar 7, 2019 at 11:45 PM

Tsunki,

Hadn’t realised that re:Mag :p
    I must have gotten mixed up with someone else

My apologies to mag :p……

• Just a fan

Mar 7, 2019 at 11:45 PM

And Jane was.
    Nope can’t think of anything.

• Pitmatic

Mar 7, 2019 at 11:50 PM

On Beardsley: he’s my all-time favourite Newcastle player and probably always will be. But I can’t see pictures of him now without thinking of that psycho Steve Carrell character in Foxcatcher (one of the all-time great sports films, if you haven’t seen it). He has the same glazed expression on his face. He seemed to despise modern footballers, so I expect his coaching sessions were perculiarly joyless, for him and everyone else.

There might have been a bit of old-school racism in there, but mainly he’s just a bit weird, and given his record, he has no business to be employed in coaching at an elite level. I actually think he’d be far happier at a lowly non-league side.

• jane

Mar 7, 2019 at 11:58 PM

Just a fan was Charlie Chaplin

• Just a fan

Mar 8, 2019 at 12:00 AM

Well I do walk like him

• Online Guy

Mar 8, 2019 at 12:25 AM

Tomorrow, and tomorrow, and tomorrow,
    Creeps in this petty pace from day to day,
    To the last syllable of recorded time;
    And all our yesterdays have lighted fools
    The way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle!
    Life’s but a walking shadow, a poor player,
    That struts and frets his hour upon the stage,
    And then is heard no more. It is a tale
    Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
    Signifying nothing.

• RobLeenio

Mar 8, 2019 at 12:28 AM

Which one of you’s Offline Bi? You’re a clunt!

Oh Hello!

😉

I reckon Jane is Barbara Woodhouse. Siiiiit!!!

NY Mag is Columbo

• carltoon

Mar 8, 2019 at 12:28 AM

Pitmatic I was told he resented the flare players. Why I don’t know. Think your right about old school. The young coach they have now seems to be doing the job ok.

• NY Mag

Mar 8, 2019 at 12:31 AM

Rob,

Lol…..I was actually sad enough to watch that program 🙂

• RobLeenio

Mar 8, 2019 at 12:33 AM

Just back in from my second gig in a week. The first was Sleaford Mods at the Boiler Shop last Friday. The second was George Ezra at the Arena. I think I liked them both the same. JFK would like the former for the bad language alone, Charles Hawtrey would definitely be more at home at the latter. Maybe I’m channelling them both.

• RobLeenio

Mar 8, 2019 at 12:35 AM

Nowt sad about watching Columbo, it’s a great show. That and the original Hawaii 5-0, though I have other reasons for liking that title I guess.
    😉

• RobLeenio

Mar 8, 2019 at 12:38 AM

carltoon is Nora Batty, with geordietom as Compo.
    😉

• RobLeenio

Mar 8, 2019 at 12:39 AM

I may have had a couple of beers, going to log out now before I offend anyone else. Night all…

• Online Guy

Mar 8, 2019 at 12:39 AM

Rob
    I tried to liken you in a former life to a well loved diplomat but went for the pres JFK instead .
    A good leader ..and loved a bit of Skirt ! Well we all like a bit of skirt !

I’ll be in trouble with carltoon now.

• NY Mag

Mar 8, 2019 at 12:40 AM

Rob,

I must have been in the US too long……Sleaford Mods at the Boiler Shop?????
    Sorry mate……no clue what you are talking about 🙁

• Online Guy

Mar 8, 2019 at 12:44 AM

Rob, NY, Lesh, I’m off to kip ..early sta1rt.

All best lads n Lasses.

• NY Mag

Mar 8, 2019 at 12:47 AM

Goodnight OLG,

Nice to have some chat on the night shift once again

• lesh

Mar 8, 2019 at 2:37 AM

Online

Liked your post offering alternatives for some posters’ tags

‘Lesh was Pete Seeger ..OK then, Bob’.?

Chance would be a fine thing, me, two of music’s greats…… But if you’d added Peggy (Seeger) to Pete and Bob, Jane, Jib and Just a Fan would’ve been claiming to be the Seegers.

• lesh

Mar 8, 2019 at 2:39 AM

I’ve missed Online and NYMag’s entertain craic?

Ah well, nighty night all.

🙁

• lesh

Mar 8, 2019 at 2:49 AM

Whoops, must point out that I couldn’t have been Peggy Seeger in a previous life. She’s still with us and still turning out the music.

Sorry Jane, can you pass that on to Jib and Just a Fan…..

Hic!

• NY Mag

Mar 8, 2019 at 3:12 AM

Lesh,

We need to resurrect the ‘night shift craic’…
    Doesn’t go down well the next day……..but I can live with that 🙂

• Nicky the ball tosser

Mar 8, 2019 at 3:14 AM

Is it a little premature to hope that Everton might just be a tiny bit “on the beach” for this one, which might be just enough for us to rumble them.

• NY Mag

Mar 8, 2019 at 4:19 AM

Nicky,

I hope so……..at this stage of the season, I’d rather be playing teams who have ‘nowt to lose’ and ‘nowt to gain’ rather than teams who are at either end of the table….

• DubaiMicky

Mar 8, 2019 at 5:05 AM

NY Mag and RobLeenio, NY Mag being Colombo, that did make me laugh. I’ve recently downloaded all of Colombo’s series, last night I finished Series 2.

• one fine day

Mar 8, 2019 at 6:04 AM

Online Guy

Mar 7, 2019 at 9:58 PM

21:47 as I write and the blog seems a little slow so here goes

In a former life …

Tsunki was William Shakespeare

Tuff was Hercule Poirot

Lesh was Pete Seeger ..OK then, Bob.

Jail was Ghengis Khan

Bobbybee was Pat Partridge

Bettyswallocks was Ken Dodd

And Jib was ….. Any suggestions for Jib lads ?

Any more ?

Cant choose for jib between Barbara the taxi driver from the league of gentlemen and Kenny senior from phoenix nights .’
    Online guy …for you mate i have no idea ..somewhere between clinger (mash) and doc (back to the future) depending on how the stars align as you wander under the pale light of a flinty moon “….
    🙂

• Lindisfarne

Mar 8, 2019 at 6:07 AM

Guardian – Shelvey can stake claim again
    Until Christmas the only question anyone was likely to ask about Sean Longstaff was: who’s he? Now they are wondering how Newcastle are going to manage without him. The 21-year-old unwrapped his presents on Christmas Day as a relative unknown, without a single minute of top-flight football to his name, but came off the bench at Liverpool the following day and has started eight of their nine league games since, as well as all their three FA Cup ties. But he will not play again this season after sustaining a knee ligament injury at West Ham, and Jonjo Shelvey’s determination to play for the Under-23s to maintain his fitness during an extended period out of the first team may be rewarded when Everton visit St James’. Everton’s hideous home run – Liverpool last week, Chelsea, Arsenal and Manchester United to come – puts more pressure on them to pick up points on their travels as they seek to sustain their hopes of finishing seventh, with Wolves and Watford already six points away. SB

• one fine day

Mar 8, 2019 at 6:07 AM

Was just watching a re run of the burnley game .
    and how nice it is to see the players in the tunnel with none of the sports dire shite plastered everywhere .
    anyone know the significance of that ?