web analytics

This Midfielder Likely To Start For Newcastle At Bournemouth

We have central midfielders Ki, Mo Diame and Jonjo Shelvey coming back from injury and they will be fighting out for a central midfield position alongside Isaac Hayden in the final eight games of the season.

All three are not 100% match fit so maybe Rafa will give them all some playing time, so they are 100% soon and able to contribute to Newcastle winning as many games as possible through the end of the season.

Ki was not fully match fit against Everton, so the 79 minutes he got in that game will do him the world of good.

Ki Sung-yueng – keen to get match fit

This is what Ki has said today as reported in the Chronicle:

“It was a very long time because I was injured in January. For me, it was two months without playing.”

“I played 45 minutes against Moscow, but this was not a proper league game. Of course, I was not 100% match fit against Everton, but I tried to give everything on the pitch.”

“Hopefully, my form will get better, and better, and better as I play more games. I was just very pleased that we won.”

“I was very frustrated during my time out, especially when I got injured in the Asian Cup in the first game, which I never expected.

“It was very disappointing, but this is life.”

“In football, you can have injuries, and sometimes you have to wait for your chance to play – this is football life.”

“I just waited, recovered well and tried to be in the team and I worked as hard as I could on the training ground.”

“I’m very pleased that we won; hopefully, myself and the team will be better and better now.”

“We still have to go over the line. It’s not finished yet but we have a lot to be positive about.”

“We lost at West Ham, but everyone still believed we could be better than this position in the Premier League.”

“There are eight games to go, and we give everything each game, and then see how it goes.”

“We just need to keep doing the same things in the next game against Bournemouth.”

Ki will probably keep his starting place at the Vitality Stadium tomorrow afternoon – but we should see Shelvey at some point in the second half.

We’ll hear from Rafa Benitez at his press conference later today, and we may get some hints about which players he may start in tomorrow’s game at Bournemouth.

Over 50% of fans think we can win this game.

How Will Newcastle Fare Against Everton?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• RobLeenio

Mar 15, 2019 at 1:08 PM

Interesting interview in The Mag with Martin Dubravka’s agents suggesting they’ve started negotiating a better deal for him amid interest from Juve, German and top-of-the table Premier League clubs.

It seems that Newcastle is his first choice, which suggests he’s happy to be here. Is that more evidence supporting a Rafa staying story?

• Jail for Ashley

Mar 15, 2019 at 1:11 PM

RobLeenio,
    Fingers crossed.

• RobLeenio

Mar 15, 2019 at 1:16 PM

ben.g from previous, thanks for sharing that info, sounds like Rafa wants more personnel and organisational changes around the academy than material.

• RobLeenio

Mar 15, 2019 at 1:17 PM

Lol, Jail, I’ll make you an optimist yet….

• Tsunki

Mar 15, 2019 at 1:30 PM

If Benitez is going to be moved out then plans would already be under way with Mike’s PR engine as they begin the process of tenderising the fanbase gently. We should expect to hear rumours of top up-and-coming hotshot managers being linked with us, then recently available upper tier models and eventually the meat will look like a Moyes or Warnock style minute steak. By that time there will be disappointment, a few attritive losses but by and large the Geordie faithful will take their pants down and expose their backsides dutifully for their beating. When a cap-wringing yes-man who can fashion a team of bludgeoners to survive year on year on scraps in the pl basement comes in we will be initially hostile, then begrudging and as mikes vision pans out, grateful once again that we are not like other clubs who have sunk to the lower leagues without a trace. We will be taught to forget that we are a club with a history rivalling the best in English football, a single club city with massive support and huge potential. In fact the education is 12 years along the road really.

Whatever manager comes in good or bad, you know it will never be about achievement or ambition but just another stalling tactic to throw the fans off. It will work though, but not with me, I will keep tabs from afar only. It’s one thing to be ridiculed day in day out, it’s quite another to pay good money to have it done to you. As I said before, if the fans of this club don’t want Ashley’s business model imposed there’s only one way to cut off it’s supply. He won’t be staying because of my contribution.

• RobLeenio

Mar 15, 2019 at 1:33 PM

I see one of the roles they’re advertising for is Assistant Head of Coaching (U9-U16)

Anyone know someone who’s run a footballing academy for school-age kids, maybe in South-East Africa, for example, is currently home for an extended period and perhaps could be looking for work?

Lilo, you’re up mate
    😉

• Jail for Ashley

Mar 15, 2019 at 1:34 PM

Mijn ook niet!

• Bobbybee

Mar 15, 2019 at 1:42 PM

Sound like plenty on here are already convinced Rafa will go. Why? Some agent spouting off? Has Rafa not REPEATEDLY said he won’t even discuss his future until we’re safe? Right from the horses mouth, not from some shit shoveler following behind him.
    It would make sense to check the availability of managers, but this story is pure drivel. It’s designed purely and simply to strengthen the hand of the Lyon manager – who he represents by pure coincidence.
    But no, he’s out the door and some numpty is already lined up from the usual suspects of failed PL managers.
    How many times have we been here over the last three years? I’ve lost count. Honestly, give it up ffs.
    Rafa is doing everything he can to find a reason to stay here. It’s what he wants and frankly, it’s what Ashley needs and his actions recently display a willingness to at least meet Rafa somewhere in between.
    The signing of Almiron. The complete breaking up of the current academy system and it being rebuilt. Talk of another big signing available to Rafa if he stays. And if course a nice sweetener for himself in the shape of a big payday. Something he clearly deserves.
    Of course Ashley is always capable of self destruction and I don’t believe a word he says, but actions speak louder than words.
    Almiron is a reality. The rebuilding of the academy is a reality. A proper system being put in place to bring out the best of the young lads coming through. This is happening now. Young players have been moved on to leave places ready to be filled by more promising talent.
    For me, this was likely to be the biggest stumbling block, but it appears the club is doing exactly what Rafa wanted doing.
    I doubt Rafa will get everything he wants – but he probably knew that when he let it be known what he wanted. The training facilities can be upgraded in stages over the next few years – something Rafa himself has said would be acceptable; providing it happens of course.
    That leaves the U25 argument to be had.
    So personally, until I hear it from Rafa himself, I’m cautiously optimistic he’ll stay. Something I’ve been constant with throughout the will he – won’t he discussions over the last three years.
    If we’re stuck with Ashley – which it appears, we are – better to have Rafa working on the football side than anybody else. Anybody.
    He wants to stay. We want him to stay – and Ashley is finally doing things to persuade him to stay. Actions, not words. Exactly what Rafa wanted to see.
    So slow down on who’s going to replace him until we hear it from the man himself.

• Jib

Mar 15, 2019 at 1:44 PM

Ik ook niet

• cyprus

Mar 15, 2019 at 1:53 PM

Crazy that 17% still think we’ll lose to Everton.

Anyway, I think we’ll draw vs Bournemouth after a good game, an open one. Our defense will be solid.

(PS. This is the kind of post that comes back to haunt you, when you get everything wrong.)

• DubaiMicky

Mar 15, 2019 at 1:55 PM

Rafa has form in not signing a contract until the end of the season.

I reckon he will, and I’m cautiously optimistic that ashLIE will support him to a degree.

Insh’allah as they say here.

• Bobbybee

Mar 15, 2019 at 1:58 PM

Cyprus, let’s hope you are wrong – three points instead of just one mate 🙂

• Jail for Ashley

Mar 15, 2019 at 1:59 PM

Nee Jib,
    That is me also not, I should have said de mijn niet. For give my know nowtness.

• NY Mag

Mar 15, 2019 at 2:03 PM

Micky @ 11

I would go along with that statement….

• Jib

Mar 15, 2019 at 2:03 PM

Rafa
    No new injuries. Lascelles still feeling his knee so won’t be risked. Clark back.

• Tsunki

Mar 15, 2019 at 2:04 PM

Good theory Bobby but a theory of no more than equal value given mike’s track record. Btw if Benitez convinced the powers that be of Almirons tremendous worth he may be no more than an opportunity to Carroll- ise another prospect asfar as Ashley is concerned. I think that theory holds more water than a sign of his intent to retain Benitez.

• Tsunki

Mar 15, 2019 at 2:06 PM

Btw my first post up here post started as hypothesis if you check . 😉

• Bobbybee

Mar 15, 2019 at 2:06 PM

My prediction last night for finals of City v Liverpool and Arsenal v Chelsea are bang on for happening 🙂 That really would break FIFA’s hearts! You gotta laugh.

• Bobbybee

Mar 15, 2019 at 2:12 PM

Tsunki, dunno mate, Rafa insisted he got Almiron and he got him. And the academy revamp is a massive overhaul. And of course, Rafa wants to stay. No doubt about that, but Ashley has to show ambition.
    Nothing has been decided yet, which is my main point. He’s going nowhere until he says so. He’ll decide, not us and definitely not some money grabbing agent! 🙂

• Jib

Mar 15, 2019 at 2:12 PM

Liverpool and Chelsea fans have a big punch up
    in Madrid, both barred from Europe next season.
    So NUFC in 8th place gain entry to the Europa Lg
    which persuades Rafa to sign a new contract.

• hibbit

Mar 15, 2019 at 2:12 PM

still think at best it’s still only 50/50 on Rafa going or staying just remember it’s ashLIE he having to negotiate with 😉

• Bobbybee

Mar 15, 2019 at 2:15 PM

Tsunki, I was writing mine whilst yours was posted, so I hadn’t read yours before posting mine. It wasn’t directed at you, let’s put it that way. Although it can be if you insist! Lmao. 🙂

• Bobbybee

Mar 15, 2019 at 2:24 PM

Hibbett, indeed it is mate, but he does show signs of softening with recent actions and actions is what Rafa was looking for.
    Of course it could all mean nothing, but I’m convinced Rafa wants an excuse to stay and will settle for most of what he wanted if he can’t get it all.
    My point really is people have him out the door and some idiot like Moyes or Pardew coming in, when he hasn’t even entered into negotiations yet. He won’t until he knows we’re safe. A win tomorrow could do that if Cardiff get beat.

• RobLeenio

Mar 15, 2019 at 2:28 PM

Fingers crossed, Jib 😉

• cyprus

Mar 15, 2019 at 2:32 PM

Bobby
    Definitely hope I’m wrong and that we win, comfortably 🙂

• beermonkey

Mar 15, 2019 at 2:38 PM

bobby

it will look a lot more promising on the rafa front when we actually employ people for the roles that have been spoken about

• RobLeenio

Mar 15, 2019 at 2:38 PM

I think we’ll win tomorrow. 2-1 to the lads.

Rondon from the penalty spot and Almiron to break his duck with a breakaway one on one with the keeper as they push for an equaliser. They’ll score one to make things lively towards the end.

HWTL

• Jib

Mar 15, 2019 at 2:47 PM

Bobby
    Cardiff’s match postponed cos
    Brighton have Millwall in the FA cup

• Bobbybee

Mar 15, 2019 at 3:13 PM

Beermonkey, aye agreed, let’s hope that happens sooner rather than later. No idea who we’ll get but I imagine Rafa will want major input into that if he’s thinking of staying. I’ve never heard of a loans manager before if I’m honest so don’t know who would be suitable. Not Dennis Wise anyway! 🙂 I believe we’ve advertised for three openings in the academy, one being a loans manager. I get what they do, just we’ve never had one before so I suspect this is something Rafa has requested.
    I know we’ve let academy players go in order to create vacancies for better young players – again, something Rafa wanted. As much as it amazes me, Ashley appears to be bending to Rafa’s wishes. They may well know something we don’t – as it should be so the players retain focus, either way.
    I’ve always been convinced he’ll sign a new contract as long as he gets most of what he wants.

• Jail for Ashley

Mar 15, 2019 at 3:15 PM

Bobby,
    If you repeat something enough it comes true apparently, the rest of the country call us delusional without most of them ever speaking to a Geordie, not sure if it comes from our sacking of SBR but everyone seems to think that we expect CL football year after year.

• Bobbybee

Mar 15, 2019 at 3:18 PM

Jib, cheers for that marra. If we get three points the pressure will ramp up on Cardiff anyway. I just can’t see them getting ten points between now and the end of the season. They’ll need ten if we win tomorrow and that’s without us winning another game – which we will. Fortress St James’ and all that. 🙂

• Bobbybee

Mar 15, 2019 at 3:23 PM

Jail, I hear it on Talksport every time we’re mentioned. I don’t know anybody who supports us who believes that tripe, but fans of every other club keep telling me it’s so. I mean, what do we know eh? We must be missing something they see. Must be these black and white goggles I wear and being totally deaf, coz I ain’t heard any of our fans say we expect anything other than survival every season.

• Jail for Ashley

Mar 15, 2019 at 3:25 PM

Nowts a given but you’d like to think we’ll get wins against Soton and Palace, and something at Fulham. I honestly fancy us to spoil Lpools party as well.

• hibbit

Mar 15, 2019 at 3:26 PM

Bobbybee
    it could be all looking good but so far no one’s been appointed and no moneys been spent on any upgrades to staff, benton or the academy, we’ve been here before with ashLIE with his 5 year plans ,the every penny statement, the new benton training facilities plan, none of which came to fruition

• Bobbybee

Mar 15, 2019 at 3:26 PM

Maybe not even expect survival. Hope would be more like it. We hope to survive every season. That’s better. 🙂

• Jib

Mar 15, 2019 at 3:32 PM

Our home fixture vs LPool takes place on the Saturday
    between the 2 Tuesdays of the CL semi finals.
    Here’s hoping they get through the quarters.

• Bobbybee

Mar 15, 2019 at 3:37 PM

Hibbett, agreed on everything mate. I’m saying it LOOKS that way, not it’s happening. Almiron happened, I’ll give him that one. Something Rafa demanded that he got. I did emphasise I don’t believe a word he says and actions speak louder than words.
    These are all things Rafa will be taking into account when he decides. One thing I am pretty certain about though, is that Rafa is looking for an excuse to stay. I know he says he hasn’t given Almiron any guarantees, but Almiron came here because he wanted to work with Rafa. Rafa loves the city, the surrounding areas and the fans and if Ashley does come through with these big changes, then I think he’ll stay. I’ve always believed that though, as my posts over the last three years have maintained every time he’s been out the door according to many on here. And until I hear it from Rafa that he is leaving, I’ll continue to believe that. Its no inside info or anything I’ve heard, just my optimistic outlook! 🙂

• Jail for Ashley

Mar 15, 2019 at 3:44 PM

Being the cynic I am makes me think he bought Almiron because he seen what he missed out with Bony, Van Dijk, PEA, Lacazette etc etc etc etc etc

• Munster Mag

Mar 15, 2019 at 3:45 PM

Bobby, I honestly think that many journos don’t like nufc, for whatever reason, but fear us becoming a real factor in English football. The are wary of the potential and the large crowds etc. Napoli suffered same in Italy for years, and for being from the poorer South.

• Jail for Ashley

Mar 15, 2019 at 3:46 PM

I think the Lpool game will get moved to 17.30 on the Saturday making very a very tasty tanked up atmosphere 😀