web analytics

Newcastle’s Final 7 Games Of The Season – And Unbelievable Comparison With Last Season

After the 2-2 draw yesterday at Bournemouth we now have over a two-week International break before we play at Arsenal two weeks tomorrow night.

We have 7 games left – three at home and four away and we should be able to pick up some additional wins before the end of the season.

Rafa Benitez – will want more than 9 points in final seven games

Here are the seven remaining games.

Mon 01 Apr   Arsenal vs Newcastle           8:00pm
Sat 06 Apr   Newcastle vs Crystal Palace    3:00pm
Fri 12 Apr   Leicester vs Newcastle         8:00pm
Sat 20 Apr   Newcastle vs Southampton       5:30pm
Sat 27 Apr   Brighton vs Newcastle          5:30pm
Sat 04 May   Newcastle vs Liverpool         3:00pm
Sun 12 May   Fulham vs Newcastle            3:00pm

And compared to last season the records are identical in every way.

Premier League SeasonPlayedWonDrawnLostGFGAGDPointsPosition
2017-201838128183947-84410
2018-201938129174248-64513

That’s really weird and a little amazing.

In the previous two games last season at this time (games 30 and 31)  we beat Southampton (3-0) and Huddersfield (1-0) at home.

That was the start of a four-game winning streak which was followed by a four-game losing streak before we hammered Chelsea at home on Sunday 13 May to finish the season on 44 points in 10th place.

Hopefully, we can do better this season and get more than 9 points (3 wins) in the final seven games.

Here’s how we stand before today’s games in the Premier League and other teams now have games in hand on us because of the FA Cup.

PosTeamGamesGDPoints
10West Ham38-352
11Watford38-750
12Crystal Palace38-249
13Newcastle38-645
14Bournemouth38-1445
15Burnley38-2240
16Southampton38-2039
17Brighton38-2536
18Cardiff38-3534
19Fulham38-3726
20Huddersfield38-5416

We are certainly not safe yet and there’s still one club to be relegated along with Huddersfield and Fulham.

Who Was Newcastle's Best Player At Bournemouth?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

Mar 17, 2019 at 12:27 PM

Ronaldo: I agree with what Nostradamus said earlier. Mike Dean is a showboater and anything he can do to put himself in the forefront he will do. Just happy it wasn’t a red card. Rafa got a 60k fine last time he criticised a Ref.

• Mister Tuff

Mar 17, 2019 at 12:28 PM

Jib – why are you posting what can only be described as an images which is lewd/sexual. True to form I suppose.
    You old perv.

• ronaldo aarons

Mar 17, 2019 at 12:30 PM

Gs
    Yeah, when he was announced as ref I think everyone on here expected to have a penalty given against us or have a player of ours sent off. He certainly lived up to expectations.

If I recall, Rafa got £60k for actually praising the ref after zaha and hodgson we’re trying to influence the ref before our match with them.

• ronaldo aarons

Mar 17, 2019 at 12:34 PM

Bambams
    I don’t know how correct it is but I read that of diame starts 2 more matches then the 1 year extension is automatically triggered. Obviously he can still leave but it won’t be on a free.

Thought he was decent yesterday as he hadn’t started for quite a while. He wasn’t the only one that didn’t cover themselves in glory with their second goal.

Do think Hayden will still want to leave, who was good again yesterday.

Mar 17, 2019 at 12:36 PM

It is like banging your head against a wall questioning Refs. I don’t understand how the FA cannot see that Mike Dean is a showboater, that Jon Moss is fat and cannot keep up with play and that Lee Mason is incompetent. We can, why can’t they?

Mar 17, 2019 at 12:41 PM

And… I wanted to have a go at Jib because he is so often so snarky to everybody else. I am not saying I could beat him in a snark-fest because he has obviously had a lot of practice at it. Just wanted to make the point that we can all use google and be snidely to others on blogs.

• Mister Tuff

Mar 17, 2019 at 12:42 PM

Some of the rumoured new rules that are being considered are really daft.
    For example if your arms are outside a silhouette of your body – penalty.

Supposedly because you are therefore enlarging your body shape to block the ball.

Players jump/move with their arms in all sorts of positions – the yardstick should be whether it was deliberate in the first instance – not the other way around.

• Mister Tuff

Mar 17, 2019 at 12:46 PM

We’ve all seen balls blasted at a couple of feet away from a defender who turns away – ball hits arm/elbow – penalty. Completely wrong. Has to be deliberate.

• ronaldo aarons

Mar 17, 2019 at 12:46 PM

Mister tuff
    I heard on the radio the other day that they’re considering changing rules for penalties during a regular game too. Basically, if a keeper saves it or the player hits the post, no rebounds allowed and is a goal kick. Pretty much like a penalty shootout.

Kind of stupid if you ask me but don’t know if they’ll enforce it. Things that aren’t broken don’t need to be fixed.

Mar 17, 2019 at 12:48 PM

So, I was talking to these barrister friends of mine the other day and they said you must go to the Picasso museum in Malaga, you simply must. I mentioned that when I was a boy I once mistook a Cezanne over the mantle for a painting of my friend Suzanne. Oh how we laughed.

• magscar

Mar 17, 2019 at 12:51 PM

Lesh

Thanks for update re the repeat of Barrowland Christy Moore/Declan Sinnott on BBC4 – hadn’t realised it had been shown again recently – will check it out on i-player as it’s a great concert even though I have the “Live at The Point 2006” ( same tour?) on DVD.

Safe to post on music in daylight I guess as Jail is otherwise engaged 😉

• Charlie in the Gallowgate

Mar 17, 2019 at 12:52 PM

VAR
    Only as good as the referee who is watching got the overview of the situation – take yesterday’s ManUtd game and Lindelofs tackle on Jota
    Red all day went through Jota to get the ball
    Atkinson got it right only to be over ruled

• magscar

Mar 17, 2019 at 12:52 PM

Is GS simply a Jib stalker or does he have other points of view?

• Mister Tuff

Mar 17, 2019 at 12:52 PM

ronaldo – I read that stuff about the rebounds etc. Just cannot understand why they want to tinker with rules that are fine.
    Seems to be a desire to change things just for the sake of changing things.

Mar 17, 2019 at 12:52 PM

Clarifying the rules is all well and good but getting better Refs who are not slow, useless showboaters would help as well.

Mar 17, 2019 at 12:54 PM

Magstar: I have explained why I said what I said. Jib is the self-appointed blog police and maybe he shouldn’t be.

• posada

Mar 17, 2019 at 12:54 PM

They changed the rule that said you had to kick the ball forward at kick off.
    Why ? Was it really a big problem. It had been like that for over a hundred years as far as I know.

Mar 17, 2019 at 12:57 PM

Jib will also run away like a little girl when questioned on anything.

• posada

Mar 17, 2019 at 12:58 PM

Are refs getting their own back on Newcastle and Rafa.
    Lee Mason was shown to either 1) Not know the rules or 2) Choosing not to apply them.

Seems they don’t like it when they are shown up for what they are.

• magscar

Mar 17, 2019 at 1:00 PM

Jail

Jail for Ashley

You post……..

Mar 17, 2019 at 10:16 AM

magscar,
    I’m not sure I get your point, so because a few bloggers said the same a few months ago I’m not supposed to.comment on a thread relevant to the subject?

My earlier post was ….

Jib is correct several regular posters have been speculating for months that Rafa holds a strong hand and knows when and how how to play it to his and our advantage. Welcome to the club now don’t back slide into doom and gloom
    ?

Hmm …can’t see where I suggested you couldn’t comment on a topic in fact I gave you a welcome to the more positive posters Blog grouping which is a pleasant change from your previous Rafa is on his way prediliction.

Keep it up 😉

• Mister Tuff

Mar 17, 2019 at 1:00 PM

When the topic of art and famous painters came up. I can really envisage Jib thinking ” I’ll have to Google painters so it looks as if I know something”.

Straight onto the local Google ads for Painters and Decorators.

jib – art critic er No.

Mar 17, 2019 at 1:01 PM

Does anybody actually understand the offside rule now? I am still not sure what interfering with play is anymore. The rule says that you are onside if a new phase of play starts after you were offside. I think only a rocket scientist or Jib could figure out some of these decisions. Marco Silva was right last week and there were 5 NUFC players offside, so how didn’t the linesman see it?

• magscar

Mar 17, 2019 at 1:03 PM

GS

If there is such a claim “Blog Police” I feel Mr Tuff might fancy a challenge for title 🙂

• bettyswallocks

Mar 17, 2019 at 1:06 PM

GS……….. Although Jib is prone to making huge howlers when trying to be knowledgable , our cross-dressing , cheap cider drinking, art loving , well-traveled, ex rugby playing, former satellite dish fitter to the rich and famous, taxi – driving, multilingual, lecturer in modern Eoropean History, highly educated , encyclopaedia of all football matters , he is still part and parcel of this wonderful forum which he has embellished with his input for many years and therefore should be entitled to some respect from all new bloggers.

Mar 17, 2019 at 1:08 PM

A horse walks into a bar and the barman says – why the long face? Jib says – pretentious, Moi?

• Jib

Mar 17, 2019 at 1:15 PM

I wonder who GS will finally be revealed as
    Quite a distinctive style
    mmm
    time will tell
    Panda Tynemouth Tsunki
    who knows
    who cares

Mar 17, 2019 at 1:15 PM

Why exactly is Jib entitled to respect when he disrespects about half of the people on here? Every day. And he calls the Prado El Prado, the pretentious clown that he is.

• posada

Mar 17, 2019 at 1:16 PM

I’m fairly sure that Pierluigi Collina had to retire at 45 in 2015.
    Mike Dean is over 50.

What’s changed. I believe some premier league officials claimed age discrimination and won their case. Hence now they probably can’t get rid of them very easily.

Also, money comes into it. Years ago they were not paid much. So, when someone said you have to retire your 40 odd now it was not a big issue.
    Now they can earn 70K a year and probably want to go on. and on. and on.

The average age of a ref in Germany is 35. For us it’s about 43 and getting older.

• posada

Mar 17, 2019 at 1:17 PM

You can learn all you need to know to play football by 22.
    Same should apply to reffing the game.
    Most refs should be 25-40.

Mar 17, 2019 at 1:19 PM

But,,, but… that’s its name here in Spain and I live in Spain some of the time so I am entitled to use my pidgin Spanish.

• Mister Tuff

Mar 17, 2019 at 1:25 PM

betty – at least get your list complete.
    You forgot to mention Jibs repeated requests on here for other posters to suck his wedding tackle.
    (and folks do not object to that – weird)

• Munster Mag

Mar 17, 2019 at 1:25 PM

Gs, jib is respected and sometimes hated. Jail hates him but that just means jib is normal. Jib contributes. That’s what Betty is saying.

• ilovetoon8788

Mar 17, 2019 at 1:33 PM

The yedlin penalty would have been given if the players appealed for it immediately. Not a single player appealed even yedlin himself.

Mar 17, 2019 at 1:34 PM

Munster Mag: I understand what Bettyswallocks is saying but Jib starts most of the fights on here. He can be slightly entertaining but usually is condescending.

Mar 17, 2019 at 1:43 PM

Shows very little respect to anybody, except a few that he decides are his Pals. Maybe I was nitpicking with the Prado thing but that is what he does EVERY DAY on here. Any little error and Jib’s Blog Police will be on it. Any reference to art, travel, culture and Wor Jib will have to try to out-do you. You speak 2 languages, Jib speaks 10. Been to Caracas, Jib’s been there 5 times.

• ronaldo aarons

Mar 17, 2019 at 1:46 PM

Think you’re on the wrong blog. You’re looking for http://www.jib.com.

• Jib

Mar 17, 2019 at 1:47 PM

I must say having a stalker who can string a few sentences
    together is rather refreshing – it makes a change from
    Jail and Tuff

Mar 17, 2019 at 1:53 PM

You know what you are Jib. I’ll give you that. You know what you are.

• c-dog

Mar 17, 2019 at 1:56 PM

GS and Jib are the same I reckon
    Jib is a proven weirdo
    Talking to himself under more than one profile is definitely not beyond him