web analytics

Matt Ritchie Gives His Views On Rafa Benitez

Matt Ritchie is the man of the moment after his excellent display at his former club Bournemouth on Saturday.

And Matt’s goal after 94 minutes to equalize the scores at 2-2 could be a candidate for the Premier League goal of the season.

And Rafa Benitez’ future is still a concern for Newcastle fans and maybe the players too.

His three-year contract runs out in the summer, and he will not discuss a new contract until Newcastle are safe – we are 5 points off the 40 points mark.

Rafa Benitez giving instructions to Matt Ritchie

Here’s what Matt has said about Rafa as reported in talkSPORT today:

“He’s very good.”

“It’s massive that he does stay now, especially at the moment with the unrest among the fans.”

“There’s no better man for the club. He’s seen everything.”

“He’s been everywhere in football. He’s seen the highs and lows and he doesn’t ride with them.”

“He’s always in the same mood. That spreads throughout the whole team and the whole club.”

“We started really poorly this season and not once did the manager panic.”

“I understand the frustrations but, at the same time, it did start to affect the atmosphere around the stadium,”

“That’s no criticism towards the fans because they’ve been fantastic and I understand the unrest.”

“But support is what the team needs.”

We have had two poor spells under Rafa in the last two seasons – this season we started with only three draws in the first 10 games with no wins.

And last season we went 9 successive games with only a single point from those games.

But through those terrible spells, Rafa kept everybody supporting the team, and we pulled out of both nosedives.

That’s only one reason he is the perfect manager for Newcastle.

• Jib

Mar 19, 2019 at 8:17 AM

A slight possibility Paul Dummett will turn out
    for Wales tonight at Swansea vs Trinidad & Tobago
    in Wrexham 19.45 live on S4C
    for overseas fans

• Jail for Ashley

Mar 19, 2019 at 8:22 AM

I thought you were in the Louvre that night Jib in 1975, you best check with the Mrs, she’ll remember.

• RobLeenio

Mar 19, 2019 at 8:30 AM

sing in the corner from previous, you’re right to highlight what Shola did not say. He’s not a media darling like Gerrard, Lampard, Owen and others from his generation, he never had that profile.

With that in mind, he doesn’t get much opportunity to speak his mind. That he took that rare opportunity to support Ashley, in the context of a justifiable fan revolt against the owner, was mental. He had an opportunity to support us, give something back for the years of support we (most of us) gave him and to add the weight of his voice to the clamour for change.

Strange that he didn’t, I thought so then, I still think so now. I’m not sure I can trust him going forward.

• Jib

Mar 19, 2019 at 8:31 AM

Jail I’ve just checked and it was October1966
    (I must have been really young)
    and Jules Guerassimoff was a flanker not a prop
    John Dee , Hartlepool Rovers and Durham
    was the NorthEastern Counties fly half

• widowmagandapoke

Mar 19, 2019 at 2:06 PM

Ed, this site is becoming an incestuous bed of tittle tattle between a limited number of contributors who gossip amongst themselves and even copy and paste their inane comments under different headings. And most of their grammatical use leaves much to be desired. I imagine most supporters don’t want to crawl through hundreds of postings which are mainly aimed at each other. I suggest limiting the number of posts any one can make on one subject.

• Malta Mag

Mar 20, 2019 at 11:22 AM

What the **** does that last comment by “Jib” have to do with a Newcastle United blog?? Please enlighten me as I’m fascinated to be brought into the light on yet another secret conversation which seems to be fast becoming the trait of those regulars. I’m more into continuing the thread of the headline and adding that Matt Ritchie is worth every penny Rafa spent on the lad. When people argue he can’t beat a man, I’m bemused? He rarely wastes a pass, is always available to receive the ball, his work rate is phenomenal and as a crosser of the ball he has few equals. Sing his praises now, not like Jonas when they said pretty much the same until he had health problems then treat him like a god.