web analytics

Report – Rafa Receives New Contract Offer From Newcastle

Mike Ashley and company know that (hopefully) Newcastle will be safe soon if we can win another couple of games.

And they seem determined to get ahead of the game and offer Rafa a new deal even before Newcastle are safe.

News in the Chronicle that Rafa has been sent a new contract in the mail so he can at least look it over.

That seems like a good deal as long as there are updates and improvements from the deal he was offered last summer.

And there also needs to be some flexibility from the club on meeting the things Rafa wants agreed to before he signs a new contract.

Rafa Benitez – sent new contract in the mail

There have to be some other clubs already contacting Rafa with new offers he could sign in the summer.

This is what Rafa said in the Chronicle and gave it short shrift:

“We have plenty of time, yes.”

“I think they (players) are working so hard.” “You can see that in every game.”

“You could see at Bournemouth they did that until the last minute of every game.”

“We were losing and we kept pushing. Some teams would think they’d lost and give up, but we didn’t do that.”

“We had a good reaction.” “We have the international break and they can relax a little bit.”

“They can enjoy it with the families and come back with their batteries charged.”

Players like Jamaal Lascelles, Isaac Hayden, and Matt Ritchie, among others,  have come out and said how important Rafa is to the future of the club and the club need to sign him up.

Once we reach 40 points, it would be tremendous if Rafa agrees to stay before the end f the season.

If that happens, the fans would be over the moon and maybe we can put together a string of wins to finish the season in at least 10th place again – and on a high.

That could be a springboard for next season.

But we can also understand why Rafa is dubious about staying if owner Mike Ashley doesn’t change his miserly ways.

We’ll know the outcome soon enough.

Newcastle have to get 9 points from our final 7 games to equal last season’s points total of 44.

• DubaiMicky

Mar 19, 2019 at 8:52 AM

Interesting that Richie twice mentioned that the players know all about the “unrest”.

A tacit agreement with the protests perhaps?

• Jib

Mar 19, 2019 at 8:58 AM

I agree with BobbyBee that Rafa is looking for
    ways to stay with his half -completed proyecto
    and will accept compromises to sign a contract.

• Lee Charnley Bunga Party

Mar 19, 2019 at 8:58 AM

@Dubai

Yeah also a few players have been interviewed this last year and have said a few comments that sort of hints at unrest over Ashley! Hayden said something recently like Newcastle should be top 6 but for some reason its not been getting the investment needed ! Richie also pleaded for big signings recently as well!

Will Ashley listen though?

On Dummett I would rather he didn’t play for Wales as he came back injured the last time and its not really his national team……

• DaveD1000

Mar 19, 2019 at 9:04 AM

Jib
    maybe (and I fervently hope)so but there is no incentive to sign. Rafa might as well leave it to the wire.

• DaveD1000

Mar 19, 2019 at 9:06 AM

sign earlier that should have been. that’s what happens when I try to breathe talk and type at the same time

• Jail for Ashley

Mar 19, 2019 at 9:13 AM

No matter what someone has in the bank it’s still good to have a regular income, when “giving credit” to Mike Ashley for the stability that has some brand us as a yo-yo club, he had a coaching job in mind.

• Tsunki

Mar 19, 2019 at 9:15 AM

Jib

“Mar 19, 2019 at 8:31 AM

Jail I’ve just checked and it was October1966
    (I must have been really young)
    and Jules Guerassimoff was a flanker not a prop
    John Dee , Hartlepool Rovers and Durham
    was the NorthEastern Counties fly half”

Oooh jib! Your googling failed you then you rescued it just in time as I just got back to see your post about Jonny Dee playing after he had retired and was coaching having been master of English and PE at Henry Smith’s Grammar since the early 70’s.

You have the temerity to call me a fraud and you are as bogus as they come. What a fibber! :D. You only know him through Google, I and others know what an exacting, direct and gruff man he actually was.

• Tsunki

Mar 19, 2019 at 9:20 AM

Was it NY Mag asking how we know NUFC had been parked down to a core entity and that’s what scares off potential buyers, knowing they are only buying the yolk of the egg? There’s some decent research out there to show just about every limb has been lopped off. I like the one about Mike’s story that he bought NUFC on a whim yet the nufcdirect.com domain had been registered by him 6 months earlier. That domain btw points to sportsdirect.com. he had the merchandising targeted a good while before he supposedly even knew the club was for sale. Wow he’s good isn’t he? 🙂 Advertising? Land sales? Yep, I think we get the picture.

• Tsunki

Mar 19, 2019 at 9:21 AM

Shall we call you Fib instead? Autocorrect seems to like that much better.

• Jib

Mar 19, 2019 at 9:27 AM

DaveD1000
    I’ve kept meaning to ask you
    How are dozy beaky mick & tich ?

• Jib

Mar 19, 2019 at 9:32 AM

Tsunki see if you can find anywhere on google
    that Dee broke his ankle kicking the flanker in
    the head.
    You won’t
    You’d actually have been present to know that
    Also I suspect you know Dee cos you were one
    of his drivers.

• Lindisfarne

Mar 19, 2019 at 9:44 AM

Who thinks Andreas Pereira from mufc would be a good year long loan, in central midfield?
    Low cost solution for our owner.
    Short term but young and talented.

• DaveD1000

Mar 19, 2019 at 9:44 AM

Dozy is working with the Dwarves, Beaky has been made a Captain and the rest were lost in a quest for Xanadu

• simon376

Mar 19, 2019 at 9:45 AM

Jib, quick question for you, rugby related (sorry everyone but something I need to find out) turns out in early part of last century, my great grandfather was capped for rugby. Was mentioned when we looking at some of Gavin’s caps in his dads house and his grandmother said as uncle billy was only man in the family at the time, he got the caps. Everyone of that generation is dead now. Some think international caps, others say may have just been for county, but nobody knows.
    His name was William Henry Gurr, would have played for South Stand no doubt Durham. Also umpired in cricket. Just wish I could have picked up some of the sports side of the family with him rugby and Keith and Gavin football, me just talk a good game

• Jail for Ashley

Mar 19, 2019 at 9:50 AM

simon,
    The basement will be steaming up now!

• Tsunki

Mar 19, 2019 at 9:51 AM

I know injury saw him retire way before 75 though jib. And when he was at HS I was 12 so I would only know his career as a past legend. I’m more familiar with the guy who told me if i didn’t improve my steps speed during fitness assessment I wouldnt be in the rugby team, he was a tough nut.

• Tsunki

Mar 19, 2019 at 9:54 AM

Anyway you’ve got me drawn into your offside trap again jib well done

• Jib

Mar 19, 2019 at 10:03 AM

Simon it depends what era
    but in Victorian times caps were awarded
    by clubs and schools – not just country or county

Early days they actually played wearing their caps !!!

• Jib

Mar 19, 2019 at 10:08 AM

• simon376

Mar 19, 2019 at 10:12 AM

Thanks Jib, guessing would be talking between 1905 to 1920 or something like that and of course having to take the war into consideration

• Just a fan

Mar 19, 2019 at 10:15 AM

Been watching Harry’s heroes.
    Good to see them in real life ok reality life but they come off a lot better.
    Mersin comes of really well.
    Not sure if could ever like razor Ruddock but he does seem Popular.
    Red naps house must be worth up to ten million plus due to its location.

• Jib

Mar 19, 2019 at 10:20 AM

If the caps have badges that should tell you their origin.

• simon376

Mar 19, 2019 at 10:27 AM

Unfortunately I never met uncle billy, died long before I was born and get the impression something happened within the family, so nobody has any idea what happened to them or what they were like

• Jib

Mar 19, 2019 at 10:29 AM

When ‘arry was on ” I’m a celebrity ” telling all
    his footy yarns , some tv producer must have
    seen it and thought “oy oy – here’s something
    worth developing”

• Jib

Mar 19, 2019 at 10:29 AM

ah soz I thought they were still about

• Jib

Mar 19, 2019 at 10:30 AM

#25 for Simon

• Jib

Mar 19, 2019 at 10:33 AM

This should tickle you Simon

• simon376

Mar 19, 2019 at 10:35 AM

Haha looks a nice potential relative

• martoon

Mar 19, 2019 at 10:36 AM

Just a fan @21 – I caught the last half hour of that and it was quite good but they do seem to focus on certain characters. It was only when they were playing the ladies team at the end that I realised Robert Lee was there (the real one not the blog one!).

• martoon

Mar 19, 2019 at 10:43 AM

On topic Rafa might well have received a contract in the post but I would imagine it is not going to contain any reassurances on transfer funds, academy upgrades etc. These surely have to be thrashed out between Rafa and the board (which is really Mike Ashley). It sounds a bit like *rse covering to me so that if Rafa does leave then the club can say well we offered him a contract but he refused it!

• Lee Charnley Bunga Party

Mar 19, 2019 at 10:49 AM

If Rafa is staying and gets some assurances about a budget would anyone still be up for signing Kennedy?

Might be able to get him a fair bit cheaper than last season (30 million was apparently what Chelsea asked for!) he is still young and does have ability but seems to have lost his way a bit!

I think he would be a different player if he knew he was staying here and got a full pre season under his belt.

• Jail for Ashley

Mar 19, 2019 at 10:50 AM

martoon,
    I never really read the article, what on earth is the point of sending him a contract in the post, Ashley needs to sit down and look him in the eyes and try not to lie.

• Jail for Ashley

Mar 19, 2019 at 10:51 AM

LCBP,
    I agree but I think he may have burned his bridges.

• lesh

Mar 19, 2019 at 10:53 AM

Jib

The ‘Arry Rednapp show with the older players is all about Tottingham Hotspur. Why?

Before they play theiir first EPL game in their new stadium, they need to test it by staying a couple of meaningless games in front of a biggsh crowd.

Sperz are charging fans to attend those games too – charging money to test a facility’s safety features etc? Greedy bustards and bigger fools the fans that’ll pay to watch a game featuring Readnapp’s old sweats!

• lesh

Mar 19, 2019 at 10:54 AM

staying = staging..

• lesh

Mar 19, 2019 at 10:58 AM

And our wonderful owner’s put a contract in the post for Rafa to mull over?

He’s playing games with Rafa, playing the game that Rafa’s being awkward. Hasn’t Ashley thought about inviting Rafa for a one-to-one, a face-to-face to establish the key principles of an agreement?

• GS

Mar 19, 2019 at 11:04 AM

There is a certain irony in the players coming out in support of Rafa because we all know he wanted 4 or 5 starters in the summer. If he had his way, then some of these players would have lost their starting positions. Hayden was probably 4th choice midfielder before his recent run of form. Apart from Almiron there isn’t anybody bought in the last 12 months that would be one of the first names on the teamsheet. We got mainly squad players who have turned out to be OK. It may be a case of be-careful-what-you-wish-for with some of these players because they might not be playing if Rafa had a decent budget.

• martoon

Mar 19, 2019 at 11:05 AM

lesh – A little harsh – there is only one ex-spurs player in it – Chris Waddle. It actually sounds like a mutual arrangement – Spurs get their new ground tested and ITV get a great venue for their game. As for charging I guess there are costs to cover (staff wages etc) but I’d imagine the money could well be going to charity.

• GS

Mar 19, 2019 at 11:09 AM

Another one that might lose his place is Ritchie. Rafa is always talking about needing fast wingers and pace is the part of Matt’s game that is missing. I think he is 29. I find it strange that he has come out and said that he has found his calling at left back. What was he doing on the right and left wing then for the past 10 years? He was put at left back out of necessity, but maybe he should have asked to play there earlier?

• Jail for Ashley

Mar 19, 2019 at 11:16 AM

lesh,
    As I’ve said before, I bet there’s more effort going in to dealing with the fall out than there is to thinking of what’s going to keep him here.