web analytics

Newcastle Attempting To Sign Talented Young English Defender

TEAMtalk are reporting that highly-rated 17-year-old central defender Luca Murphy has left Hartlepool United by mutual consent.

He is a top youngster coming through the ranks and Newcastle have been alerted to his availability.

Murphy never signed a professional contract at Hartlepool and he has been looking to leave his current club for some time.

Fulham almost had a deal for him agreed in January but that fell through.

The 17-year-old central defender did not have a professional deal with Pools, and it has been clear for some time that he was looking to move on after a move to Premier League Fulham failed to materialize in January.

Luca Murphy – tuned 17 last September

Manchester United, Tottenham, Leicester, Cardiff and Wolves, as well as Newcastle, are interested in signing the player.

This is what is said about him on the Hartlepool website:

“A promising young centre-back who has been on the books at Pools for eight years.”

“Comfortable on the ball and able to play with either foot, he’s athletic, confident and rarely fazed.”

“Something (that was) highlighted when he was asked to step into the Youth Team last season whilst still an U-16.”

The young Englishman will soon be signing his first professional deal and hopefully, Rafa Benitez at Newcastle will be an attractive option for him.

Rafa is always on the lookout for good teenagers who he can develop on Tyneside to become starters in the Newcastle first team.

We hope can get Luca Murphy to Newcastle.

What do you think?

• RobLeenio

Mar 20, 2019 at 2:34 PM

If he’s from Hartlepool, you’d think that a move to Newcastle would be attractive as it’s only an hour up the road from his family.

Here or Leeds, you’d think. What self-respecting young lad would want to turn out for the Mackems or the Smoggies?

He’s got a canny pair of lugs on him, he’ll be rivalling wor Dubs in that regard

• RobLeenio

Mar 20, 2019 at 2:35 PM

martoon
    Mar 20, 2019 at 2:26 PM
    So tell me Matt if Almiron is such a threat why is it that you never pass to him?
    ?

Absolutely God damn right! If I could do a thumbs up, I would.

Mar 20, 2019 at 3:08 PM

Repost just knew Ed would start new thread once a started! –meant I have slightly clarified one of sentences which on looking through somehow got a bit lost off ?? I know most wouldn’t have read it never mind noticed 🙂

Well I remain in the remain camp – the Rafa one that is
    ?

So what can we reasonably assume from the posturing, press murmurings, leaks etc………

– Rafa does want to stay- just not in circumstances where he judges his project simply cannot work at all no matter what miracles he performs

– So far he has achieved a great deal with less than he had anticipated or needed but doesn’t seem to have yet thrown in the towel because of this. Yes he is the consumate professional and will seek to see a job through regardless but his demeanor of late to me is that of someone who is looking to negotiate once the season is over ( and not just when we are safe – as last season we went off the boil once we had reached safety)

– Ashley wants him here but not purely on Rafa’s terms

– Both sides are aware and comfortable that there has to be meaningful negotiations soon ( hopefully not of the Parliamentary type)

– There is a definite gulf in aspirations and how they can be achieved but they are not necessarily unbridgeable

– Ashley will know that losing Rafa now and without there being an acceptable plan B, which supporters will be bought of with, means he risks jeopardising his assets value whether or not he is really interested in selling. There will come a time when he will go whatever and in the meantime he must at least not devalue the asset. Struggling against relegation season after season in a Russian Roulette fashion is just not a viable businss plan to grow an asset or even maintain it as events have shown.

– He currently has the best manager of his term as owner and whilst that brings problems for him having to control a powerful force totally backed by the fanbase it has clearly produced results for him with less spending than the previous managers put together and he won’t lightly cast that aside.

– Are there realistic comparative projects out there with the potential long term prospects we offer that Rafa wouldn’t perhaps be put off by his previous associations (Everton?) . Yes there are owners who might offer better budgets etc but can those clubs hold out better prospects of sustained progress fo what is likely to be his last project.

– He has already invested 3 years of his life and career in difficult trying circumstances so would staying involve “throwing good after bad” or give him the foundations he would need to restart elsewhere. Only he can judge that in due course.

– Having won many things in his career (at arguably better (run) clubs) does he perhaps see that an equally satisfying and memorable accomplishment now for him personally would be to put a long failing club even with some top managers on to a footing where it can win a cup , challenge for Europe and continues to grow because of the solid foundations he has fought to put in place. Again only he can assess the liklihood of that being allowed to happen and whether it would be worth it instead of him going for a totally new, potentially less challenging but not so rewarding alternative

– The Genie is out of the bottle. Rafa offered to come, stayed and wants to stay – so the Club was actually capable of attracting a top manager after all not just a Pardew. OK so what is to stop Ashley seeking to repeat the trick and get another top manager. Obviously because someone of Rafa’s stature, experience and determination has already been thwarted and squandered after bending over backwards to make it work so as to make it a no brainer to equivalent managers to ignore the position for as long as Ashley remains. Crowd will not be satisfied now with a Pardew McClaren clone. Anyone coming in would have to hit ground running and then prosper or face a totally unmanageable crowd now aware of what we actually could have and in fact did have!

It is all in the negotiations and they will no doubt be drawn out, fraught and needing Asahley fae to face with Rafa sooner or later but I feel odds are better than 50/50 and in our favour at present.

I do expect Rafa to be here next season. No inside information just an optimistic ( as is my wont) readng of the runes ( as kindly afforded by Essex).

At the least I can see a one year rolling contract and I hope I am right for all our sake

• Jib

Mar 20, 2019 at 3:22 PM

Magscar are you related to Leo Tolstoy ?

• Jib

Mar 20, 2019 at 3:23 PM

Should have said
    Magscar are you related to Leo Tolstoy or wor lass ?

• Jib

Mar 20, 2019 at 3:27 PM

Wrexham
    or
    Wrecsam
    as the sheep worriers spell it
    is the oldest international footy venue in the world

• martoon

Mar 20, 2019 at 3:28 PM

magscar – a well thought out post and also with Bobby’s thoughts it does give me some hope that Rafa will stay. I was worried about other Premier clubs attracting him but I think the 2 most likely: Leicester have got Rodgers and I don’t think he’d go to Everton because of his ties to Liverpool and the fans hate him. As you say the negotiations will be drawn out but hopefully they will reach a compromise – it will be a nightmare on here during the process with the abuse level turned up to eleven 😀

• Jib

Mar 20, 2019 at 3:41 PM

One of the most futile of human activities is
    fretting about something over which you have
    no control.

Rafa’s contract should be put on the back burner
    and we should all pretend to be interested in the
    international friendlies

• Just a fan

Mar 20, 2019 at 3:43 PM

Which negotiations will be finalised first.
    Brexit or rafa

• RobLeenio

Mar 20, 2019 at 3:48 PM

magscar, a very nicely put-together post. I think most of what you said has perhaps been said before, but not together and so concisely.

It’s interesting to read what you say about what would constitute a challenge for Rafa. As you say, he’s won trophies and challenged for (and won) Championships. Is putting NUFC on a sound footing as equally rewarding? I would say it’s as challenging, but as rewarding? I’m not sure.

He’s after the gold at the end of the rainbow, as well as wanting to admire the scenery along the way. I think if he remains, due to the owner’s stubbornness, stuck at the bus station for an extended period, he may look for another form of transport.

I’m with you and Bobby, however – there has to be a compromise to be reached, a deal to be struck and time in which to find it. It’s in everyone’s interests that they do so.

• hibbit

Mar 20, 2019 at 3:48 PM

i really do wish i could show the same type of confidence that some on here are showing and i do believe its genuine,
    but i just can’t get past the fact that ashLIE is playing such a major roll in this equation

• RobLeenio

Mar 20, 2019 at 3:49 PM

Jib, international friendlies? Is there something happening with Lundun FC?

• Optimistic Panda

Mar 20, 2019 at 3:57 PM

I try not to dwell on Rafa staying or going as it doesn’t matter what he wants or the fans want it’s all down to what the slug wants.

The bloke is a loon, it’s like trying to read tea bags, even Ashley doesn’t know what he’s going to do in 5 mins time.

He’s a black cloud hanging over the club, I pray for sunshine every day.

Mar 20, 2019 at 4:03 PM

Jib

Been back out in garden in this fine weather after earlier coffee break ( turned out longer than planned once i got started posting!)

No Russian blood but some Scots Irish as well as English so my style may be more lickened to a Dickens or Conan Doyle who initially often published their work in monthly extracts 🙂

I like to think if we work on word counts I save mine up for occasional epics rather than quick fire one liners so am within BLog limits 😉

Mar 20, 2019 at 4:05 PM

Martoon

Thanks – I can’t help being optimistic as it’s my nature but do try to temper that inclination and look at situation without the hysteria that can sometimes swamp Blog.

It’s my opinion and I am at easy with it.

• Cushy Butterfield

Mar 20, 2019 at 4:13 PM

Sorry, off topic, but remembered this story today:

Do you remember when the Toon were flying under Keegan?

Kev and Peter Reid (Monkey Heed) were being interviewed pre season and asked what their ambitions were for NUFC and SFC:

Peter Reid said “We’ll take one game at a time. First up we’re away to Swindon Town, newly promoted but I think we can get a result and then take it from there”.

“What about you Kev?” Asked the interviewer.

“Well we should have the PremierLeague tied up by March. We’ll have the League Cup Final in April and FA Cup Final In May. That’s 3 trophies in the bag but then it just depends who we get in the Champions League Final”.

“Hang on that’s a bit over the top isn’t it Kevin?

“Well he started it!”

• Jib

Mar 20, 2019 at 4:14 PM

Conan Doyle played goalie for Portsmouth

Mar 20, 2019 at 4:16 PM

Robleenio

Yeah I and several others including yourself have shared similar views and hopes for several months now.

Basically nothing has happened that shakes my view that Rafa will remain although it isn’t a given.

One fact that does perhaps stengthen my hopes is that Rafa’s roots and emotional connection to us have deepened as each year has passed. Yeah obstacles are still scattered in his way but on balance likes of Almiron’s arrival, players and crowd buying more and more into his ways and the promise of better still to come must make it more difficult ( but I acceot not impossible) for him to easily give up what he has achieved.

It’s almost as if Ashley would have to actively seek to get rid of him for something not to be worked out to be enough for at least another year. I know some of of that view but I am not one of them.

• Mindshaft

Mar 20, 2019 at 4:19 PM

@magscar – so what you’re telling us is that rafa will definitely stay unless he decides to bugger off 🙂

• GeordieTwo

Mar 20, 2019 at 4:33 PM

Wow Jib/Jane/Jeff is becoming a real philosopher. Is he actually maturing late in life? Don’t worry, it won’t happen to me. Hee hee.

Mar 20, 2019 at 4:44 PM

Robleenio

Oh 0n the measurement of accomplishment I think a lot depends on what motivates people and at differennt stages of their lives/careers and it can differ from a personal assesment and that of your peers as it is to some extent subjective.

I think you or possibly Bobby(?) posted earlier doubting whether or not Pepe or Klopp would have been able to do what Rafa has achieved here in his time but opined that Rafa could emulate their achievemnets given the squads, budgets etc. So is winning titles when you have everything at your disposable the be and end all? Or can improving a club against the odds trump that?

Some fans would rather win titles the hard way than be given instant success ala Chelsea and Man CIty but others just want success whatever. There isn’t a right answer it’s down to opinion.

I sometimes think that in schools Ofsted simply assessing progress of pupils against a set standard doesn’t show true progress unless all started at same place. Some pupils/classes for whatever reason will actually progress more from where they started but still fall short of the universal measure and be deemed failing?

Perhaps a football parallell might be KK who at his peak and on return from a successful spell in Germany chose Southhampton then us rather than Liverpool again or Leeds Man U etc as expected because he wanted a real challenge to measure up against but with potential rewards and not to basically repeat past glories – not typical behaviour I agree

There is no bigger challenge than us under the continuing stewardship of Ashley for Rafa to measure up against and use a different yet realistic way of measuring his ability without the immediate success.Satisfying enough? Only he can decided but there is a case to be reasonably argued and Managers of the year are recognised and won on that assessment sometimes.

Mar 20, 2019 at 4:49 PM

MIndshaft

I wish but no it’s only better than 50/50 as the unpredictable hand of Ashley is after all involved and he could seriously miscalculate Raf’a’s wish to stay and blow it!

Mar 20, 2019 at 5:10 PM

hibbit

I know what you are saying but Ashley is facing something different with us than ever before.

Last year I suggested that Ashley unwittingly has found himself with a tiger by the tail and as yet hasn’t found a solution.

In business I don’t think he cuts his nose off to spite his face unless it is part of a winning strategy ( don’t particularly follow or care about SD, HOF Debenhams etc but that is the view I have formed from what i have read).

Of course NUFC is different and he has never understood the football world and his history with us is littered with his mistakes from bad appointments, advice and decisions. That could continue especially if sticking one to us ( as Rob Lee has suggested recently) is his main motivation but which I doubt.

Ironically Rafa’s appointment was a (perhaps only!!) good decision and worked both ways – for us and him. It doesn’t seem unreasonable for him to try to find a way of keeping him to grow club in his fashion but within confines of his “business” model and in such a way that he “wins”.

We and merely express our opinions all await actual outcome (as we have done our bit for now so to speak) some with more trepidation than others as is their nature and inclination.

Mar 20, 2019 at 5:12 PM

sorry
    should read

We can merely express our opinions and await ……..

Mar 20, 2019 at 5:15 PM

Well time for the early evening shift to take over as I have perhaps exceeded my word count for today 🙂

Should never have stopped my good work in garden for that coffee ;-(

• NY Mag

Mar 20, 2019 at 5:54 PM

Magscar,

Some very well reasoned points there and I agree with many of the things you say……you also have a much more eloquent way of saying things than I do 🙂

• Jib

Mar 20, 2019 at 6:01 PM

Bolton get a 2 week stay of execution

Barrister Hilary Stonefrost, representing Bolton, told the court the club
    have a potential buyer lined up who “already owns a major stake in a
    high-level football club”.

I wonder who?

• lochinvar

Mar 20, 2019 at 6:06 PM

Heard this on Radio Newcastle the other day while thinking on about the grand bairn.
    The stage adaptation of Frozen, which opened on Broadway early last year, is coming to London’s West End.
    The Theatre Royal version will be “Frozzen”

God I love this place
    purely belta

• lochinvar

Mar 20, 2019 at 6:11 PM

magscar@14
    regarding your ancestry…beware the Scots Irish mix which I’ve inherited….they probably have Viking roots and some of them came down into Scandinavia from Russia
    I’m getting one of those DNA tests just to check.

Ashley did one as well to check his parentage. Result came back negative.

Mar 20, 2019 at 6:25 PM

NY mag

Thanks but I have to say you have often come across as eloquent and perhaps briefer 🙂

I also enjoy your views on our finances accounts etc

Mar 20, 2019 at 6:27 PM

Lochinvar

I’m probably very much a mongrel – like many years n these islands 🙂

Mar 20, 2019 at 6:29 PM

…Like many of of us – New tablet is playing havoc with predictive year-end fat paws don’t help 😉

• jane

Mar 20, 2019 at 7:09 PM

Wales XI: Ward; Gunter, Williams, Dummett, Taylor; Vaulks, Evans; Hedges, Thomas, Woodburn, Roberts.

• jane

Mar 20, 2019 at 7:10 PM

Wales v Trinidad and Tobago is on Sky

• jane

Mar 20, 2019 at 7:16 PM

“Tonight Wales play at the Racecourse, the home of Wrexham, for the first time since 2008.”

• jane

Mar 20, 2019 at 7:16 PM

i thought Dummett had retired from playing for Wales.

• jane

Mar 20, 2019 at 7:19 PM

” the Racecourse, the oldest existing stadium to stage international football having hosted Wales’ first home match in March 1877.”

good quiz question that

• RobLeenio

Mar 20, 2019 at 7:21 PM

Jane dummett had a falling out with Coleman and his team. I don’t remember the details.

Giggs has involved him from very early in his tenure.

Good to see him getting some caps, well deserved

• RobLeenio

Mar 20, 2019 at 7:22 PM

Lol Jane Jib posted that earlier.

I’d have thought you would have remembered
    😉

• jane

Mar 20, 2019 at 7:49 PM

it was deliberate to make it look like we are different people.