web analytics

Benitez Proud Of Trophies Won At Valencia And Liverpool – Doesn’t Mention Newcastle

Rafa Benitez’ contract runs out at Newcastle this summer – something every Newcastle fans knows about.

we are hoping that Rafa will agree to stay on Tyneside even though Mike Ashley – a very miserly owner – will be in charge of the club in the medium term.

One of his former clubs Valencia will shortly be celebrating their 100th anniversary and Rafa has said he will not be returning to the Spanish club; he is the most successful manager in their history.

Rafa has often said in the last few months that he sees himself in management for ten years at least.

Rafa Benitez – Newcastle manager

This is what the Newcastle manager has said in Marca when asked if he wanted to manager Valencia again:

“I feel emotion and pride because in the end they were years with triumphs, and some lows and adversity,”

“The second year when we won was special because we didn’t have money and it is very complicated to surprise the big teams.”

“You can do it in the Champions League or the Copa del Rey – but to do what Leicester did was an immense achievement.”

“I remember when we first won the league, I told the dressing room we were going to do it and I had confidence because we had brought in players of quality.”

“We had professionals in that team who stayed after training simply to talk about football and that makes a difference.”

“I have a lot of respect for the coach of Valencia (Marcelino García Toral). I have 10 years of football left and you never know where I will end up,”

“So far in my career, I have never returned to an old club because the circumstances to do so have never transpired.”

“Picking between the trophies though, I can’t do that. I left Valencia with league titles and a UEFA Cup.”

“Then I reached Liverpool and won the Champions League, I’ll keep the two!”

Rafa has so far had a barren time of it at Newcastle over the last three seasons.

We were relegated after Rafa came on board – promoted immediately back to the Premier League and have spent the last two seasons fighting relegation.

You often wonder if this is what Rafa wants to do long term.

We hope he will stay with Newcastle but he’s giving nothing away on whether he will indeed stay on Tyneside.

Winning more trophies aa the Newcastle manager could prove difficult as long as Ashley is the owner.

• RobLeenio

Mar 21, 2019 at 3:15 PM

What price Rafa at Valencia with Kenedy in tow next season? They’re a big club but struggling in the League this time round.

If he can’t get Ashley to kowtow, Valencia my be attractive to him, notwithstanding that he wants to stay in England, preferably.

• martoon

Mar 21, 2019 at 3:25 PM

Robleenio – It’s hard to see which club he could go to if he stayed in England. I can’t see any of the top 6 but I thought Leicester were favourites before they appointed Rodgers and although Everton may part with their manager I don’t think Rafa would go their because of his Liverpool connections!

• martoon

Mar 21, 2019 at 3:27 PM

I should add I’m very hopeful Rafa will eventually thrash out a deal – this is just speculation (with nothing much else to discuss in this international break) if Ashley cocks it up!

• RobLeenio

Mar 21, 2019 at 4:01 PM

martoon, I’ve seen this argument doing the rounds, I think you’ve summed it up well. I can’t see Rafa working for a trigger happy chairman (whatever Ashley is, he’s generally looked to appoint managers for the long term) and I can’t see him going to a club which hasn’t got tradition behind it (Brighton, Bournemouth for eg).

I also don’t see him going to a Big 6, I don’t think he’d be welcome at Man U or Chelsea, Klopp, Pep are going nowhere, Emery likewise, at least not next season, Spurs is the one real opening and I think the owners there will look to the Continent if Pochettino leaves.

So, that leaves Everton and Leicester, he won’t go to the former and the latter is, as you say, barred to him for now.

We’re therefore his best option in England, despite Ashley. Would he go to Wales? I doubt it. Scotland? Rangers or Celtic maybe, but I don’t think so.

So, NUFC or Europe. I think he’ll go NUFC, but it won’t harm his negotiations with Ashley if he makes eyes at the likes of Valencia in the meantime.

• Bobbybee

Mar 21, 2019 at 4:06 PM

Nice of Scotland to entertain us yet again. Kazakhstan ffs. 🙂 Two down in ten minutes and without a first half shot of target. Check that – 3-0 🙂

• Jib

Mar 21, 2019 at 4:14 PM

The global footy map is changing
    Kazakhstan is massive – nearly
    8 times the size of Germany with
    a population nearly 4 times that of Scotland

Since leaving the Soviet Union they have become footy
    daft.

• Optimistic Panda

Mar 21, 2019 at 4:15 PM

I’ve got no interest in international football, I’ll watch the world cup and Euros but that’s it.

I don’t follow England, can’t bring myself to cheer players I dislike or slate if we play them.

Plus our players always seem to come back injured so in a way I’m pleased when our players dont make the England squad.

• Bobbybee

Mar 21, 2019 at 4:19 PM

OP, it’s not football mate, it’s SCOTLAND. Embarrassingly entertaining. Why can’t Ritchie get into this team? The mind boggles.

• Jib

Mar 21, 2019 at 4:20 PM

Ritchie retired I think

• Bobbybee

Mar 21, 2019 at 4:27 PM

Jib, really? Must’ve missed that bit, but if he has it’s no wonder. Kazakhstan can hardly be considered a power house of international football. It’s big, but has lots of wise open spaces. Nope, this is just your usual run of the mill humiliation for “were gonna win it this time” Scotland.
    Imagine being a Scottish Mackem? Just pause for a second to consider that… 🙂

• RobLeenio

Mar 21, 2019 at 4:31 PM

“Imagine being a Scottish Mackem”

😐

• RobLeenio

Mar 21, 2019 at 4:32 PM

Hello to all of our Scottish contributors, by the way.

:mrgreen:

• Jib

Mar 21, 2019 at 4:33 PM

Not retired but out for the foreseeable future
    Aye OK
    That’s retired in my book

• Bobbybee

Mar 21, 2019 at 4:34 PM

OUCH!!! That’s gotta, hurt.

• Jib

Mar 21, 2019 at 4:44 PM

Of interest to us tonight is Slovakia vs Hungary
    with Martin Dubravka playing
    But the pick of the games is probably Belgium vs Russia

• DaveD1000

Mar 21, 2019 at 4:45 PM

and Hello to you Rob…

• Jib

Mar 21, 2019 at 4:47 PM

I’ll bet Zidane will be in Brussels tonight
    he really fancies Eden Hazard
    He’ll probably be sitting next to Maybot and Corbyn
    ha ha ha
    😀

• Bobbybee

Mar 21, 2019 at 4:48 PM

Big crunch match next for Scotland – San Marino I think. If they don’t turn it round and qualify from this group even the eternally optimistic and loyal Tartan Army may consider them a busted flush.
    Makes you wonder how they can always raise their game when they play us, but get beat by the punch bags of World football? If I’d spent whatever it cost travelling to watch this I’d be fuming. As funny as it is, whenever a team struggles against a team they’re expected to beat, I genuinely feel for the fans who’ve traveled.

• Optimistic Panda

Mar 21, 2019 at 4:52 PM

If Rafa does go which players will also want to leave?

I’m sure theres a few that will want away if he does go, is there any he’d want to take with him?

I’d like to think Rafa will stay, I also like to think Ashley will sell very soon but it doesn’t mean he will.

• Optimistic Panda

Mar 21, 2019 at 4:53 PM

We wouldn’t keep Rondon

• RobLeenio

Mar 21, 2019 at 5:01 PM

OP, There’s quite a list I would think
    Rondon
    Lejeune
    Dubs
    Schaer
    Shelvey

Almiron would be unsettled, I think, especially if someone like Colin W****r turned up with his ‘clog it up to the big lad’ tactical genius. He wouldn’t leave immediately, but would be considering his options as the end of next season approached, I think

• Bobbybee

Mar 21, 2019 at 5:06 PM

Tbh OP, I think Rafa is the glue holding it all together. Not much keeping them here if he leaves is there? They all love playing under him and are learning every day, so I can’t imagine many of them would be over keen to stay if he left. I’m not even going to bother myself worrying about it because, in all honesty plenty have had him out the door several times already and he’s stayed. Unnecessary fretting ain’t healthy – cross that bridge if it happens.
    I think on the who he’d take though, would obviously depend where he went. There’s not too many of our lads – with all due respect – who would walk into teams Rafa might be looking to manage.
    Let’s hope it doesn’t happen mate.

• Optimistic Panda

Mar 21, 2019 at 5:15 PM

Bobby/Rob

Similar thoughts, Rafa is holding it all together.

No ones really mentioned players leaving, it could be a catastrophe.

Hope Ashley can pull his head out of his arse for a few hours and sort it out

• Optimistic Panda

Mar 21, 2019 at 5:18 PM

If we could keep Rondon and get two quality signings in the summer I reckon we would have a fighting chance in the cups and a easy top ten finish.

Oh to be run as a football club.

• Bobbybee

Mar 21, 2019 at 5:26 PM

I’m still retaining belief that he’s staying. I know he said he made no promises to Almiron, but Miggy did say he wanted to play for Rafa above any other club so I can’t help but think he didn’t mean for just a few months. Lots of things are said between two men and four walls… I’m hoping he told him he’s at least seriously considering signing a new contract.
    Anyway, well know one way or another in a couple of months.

• Jib

Mar 21, 2019 at 5:27 PM

52 days left on Rafa’s contract

• Bobbybee

Mar 21, 2019 at 5:38 PM

Yep, a steady build, two or three players each window and cups are a possibility. Just not being involved in a relegation scrap would allow us to focus on the cups and Rafa knows how to win trophies.
    He’s undoubtedly our best chance of winning anything for the last couple of decades gone and probably as long as the knacka remains. I can’t honestly see any other manager worth his salt even considering working for Ashley if Rafa leaves. They’re all taking notice, I have no doubt about that.
    Our only chance would be dropping lucky on some novice either in his first job or having had minor success at a smaller club down the leagues.

• ronaldo aarons

Mar 21, 2019 at 5:43 PM

Don’t worry if Rafa leaves, I reckon Joselu would stay loyal and remain with us!

• ronaldo aarons

Mar 21, 2019 at 5:43 PM

Wor Jack may return and remain too.

#bonus

• ronaldo aarons

Mar 21, 2019 at 5:47 PM

I am still adamant that Rafa will be leaving end of the season. Have kept this stance all season. There have been signs that he may sign a new deal but I’m keeping to my original thought of Rafa leaving and being replaced by Moyes.

I was wrong about us signing almiron though so we’ll see 🙂

• ronaldo aarons

Mar 21, 2019 at 5:59 PM

Where ma peeps at?

• toon22

Mar 21, 2019 at 6:00 PM

I doubt Rafa fancies another 3years of being mugged off
    And fighting MAs religation battles

😉

• Jib

Mar 21, 2019 at 6:04 PM

I ‘m sure Rafa doesn’t fancy another 3years of being mugged off.
    That’s why there are contract negotiations

DOH !!!!!

• toon22

Mar 21, 2019 at 6:05 PM

You would trust MA ?

LoL

• toon22

Mar 21, 2019 at 6:06 PM

Hiya KBA

• Jib

Mar 21, 2019 at 6:07 PM

I was watching this before and I’m sure I spotted Rafa
    and Ashley walking on the mole

• Jib