web analytics

Benitez Proud Of Trophies Won At Valencia And Liverpool – Doesn’t Mention Newcastle

Rafa Benitez’ contract runs out at Newcastle this summer – something every Newcastle fans knows about.

we are hoping that Rafa will agree to stay on Tyneside even though Mike Ashley – a very miserly owner – will be in charge of the club in the medium term.

One of his former clubs Valencia will shortly be celebrating their 100th anniversary and Rafa has said he will not be returning to the Spanish club; he is the most successful manager in their history.

Rafa has often said in the last few months that he sees himself in management for ten years at least.

Rafa Benitez – Newcastle manager

This is what the Newcastle manager has said in Marca when asked if he wanted to manager Valencia again:

“I feel emotion and pride because in the end they were years with triumphs, and some lows and adversity,”

“The second year when we won was special because we didn’t have money and it is very complicated to surprise the big teams.”

“You can do it in the Champions League or the Copa del Rey – but to do what Leicester did was an immense achievement.”

“I remember when we first won the league, I told the dressing room we were going to do it and I had confidence because we had brought in players of quality.”

“We had professionals in that team who stayed after training simply to talk about football and that makes a difference.”

“I have a lot of respect for the coach of Valencia (Marcelino García Toral). I have 10 years of football left and you never know where I will end up,”

“So far in my career, I have never returned to an old club because the circumstances to do so have never transpired.”

“Picking between the trophies though, I can’t do that. I left Valencia with league titles and a UEFA Cup.”

“Then I reached Liverpool and won the Champions League, I’ll keep the two!”

Rafa has so far had a barren time of it at Newcastle over the last three seasons.

We were relegated after Rafa came on board – promoted immediately back to the Premier League and have spent the last two seasons fighting relegation.

You often wonder if this is what Rafa wants to do long term.

We hope he will stay with Newcastle but he’s giving nothing away on whether he will indeed stay on Tyneside.

Winning more trophies aa the Newcastle manager could prove difficult as long as Ashley is the owner.

• Jib

Mar 21, 2019 at 9:04 PM

How could I forget Disraeli Gears !!!!!

• Ron Knee

Mar 21, 2019 at 9:07 PM

First single: Twistin the night away – Sam Cooke
    First LP: Beatles’ first

• magscar

Mar 21, 2019 at 9:08 PM

Still held in total regard from late 67 early 68 ……..

Forever Changes by Love which I have in Mono, Stereo , CD and on DVD of 00’s tour by Arthur Lee backed by Baby Lemonade

Both my son and now a grandson (daughters lad) have their own copies- son as CD and grandson on vinyl

• ronaldo aarons

Mar 21, 2019 at 9:09 PM

Gummibär – I’m a Gummy Bear

• Pain in the Blog

Mar 21, 2019 at 9:10 PM

Jib #77,

I had every ISB album. Saw them live about four times in Newcastle at the City Hall and the old Exhibition Hall (I think that was what it was called). Also saw Robin Williamson with John Renbourne at the Tyneside Theatre a couple of years ago. I was a big Incredibles fan.

OG, Sorry I can’t remember my first single.

• Jib

Mar 21, 2019 at 9:10 PM

Stopped taking my favourite LPs to parties cos they always got nicked

• magscar

Mar 21, 2019 at 9:11 PM

Jib

Without going to dig it out don’t think so. It was their first with lot of RnB covers no sleeve notes.

You could be thinking of Kinda Kinks possibly?

• Jib

Mar 21, 2019 at 9:13 PM

ISB’s mixture of musicianship and intellectuality
    would make them huge now.

• Jib

Mar 21, 2019 at 9:16 PM

Useless fact #745346
    Sunny Afternoon by The Kinks was No.1 when England won the world cup

• Optimistic Panda

Mar 21, 2019 at 9:17 PM

Tonight on desert island disks ……

• magscar

Mar 21, 2019 at 9:18 PM

International break or not Jail if around will be o n soon to blow a fuse 😉

• Ron Knee

Mar 21, 2019 at 9:18 PM

Clearing out my dad’s house a few years ago, I came across some albums I’d forgotten I’d had, including O’Jays’ Ship Ahoy, Sly Stone’s Riot Goin On, & Crusade – John Mayall.

• Pain in the Blog

Mar 21, 2019 at 9:18 PM

Did anyone go to see Hair at the City Hall in 1969? It was brilliant but I had to miss the last 20 minutes because my girlfriend’s last bus was at 10:20pm.

• Jib

Mar 21, 2019 at 9:21 PM

Pain in the Blog
    Did that start with the cast coming from the back climbing over the seats ?

• magscar

Mar 21, 2019 at 9:22 PM

Pain

I saw it but don’t recall a lot about it now apart from some nudity and electric torches when cast came into aisles – at least I think I do all a bit hazy

• Pain in the Blog

Mar 21, 2019 at 9:23 PM

Not as I remember. But it was a long time ago so you could be right.

• Ron Knee

Mar 21, 2019 at 9:23 PM

If you can remember the sixties, you weren’t really there.

• beermonkey

Mar 21, 2019 at 9:25 PM

Can someone at the club send laird niven on oak Island a new hat

Jib we all know bachelor boy was for you did you keep it in Your cab incase he got in and you could get him to sign in

• Jib

Mar 21, 2019 at 9:25 PM

• magscar

Mar 21, 2019 at 9:25 PM

Ok first concert seen –

Stones at City Hall October 1966 with Ike and Tina Turner Revue and Peter ???. Back in days of tours

• Ron Knee

Mar 21, 2019 at 9:28 PM

Thanks, Jib

First concert: Hollies & Freddie & the Dreamers, City Hall 1964(?).

• Munster Mag

Mar 21, 2019 at 9:30 PM

Rob leenio, I’d have expected more attention to detail from you, not just swallowing Jails account of what I said. I never said Rafa’s tactics were ‘old hat’. I wouldnt use that expression. I did say that there would be riots but that was a figure of speech. Rafa’s tactics are not old hat. And I don’t mind his football at all. But fans like arsenal are schooled on wenger, and wudnt fancy rafa’s defence first strategy. Spurs have a history of flair and I don’t think he suits them. I don’t think he was a fit for real Madrid in the least. But a few on this blog have decided to misconstrue my words as a sign that I hate him. I don’t, I think he’s brill, and better now than he was in the early part too. Like anyone else, I’d be gutted if he went and wud deffo be reaching for the bottle for sure. I don’t think he is leaving though.

• Munster Mag

Mar 21, 2019 at 9:30 PM

Rob, nó hard feelings by the way, not having a go at u mate.

• Jib

Mar 21, 2019 at 9:31 PM

First concert I remember was
    the Animals with the Nashvile Teens
    and Carl Perkins

• Jib

Mar 21, 2019 at 9:34 PM

Munster I don’t know why you worry
    The misconstruers have hardly any brain cells between
    them

• magscar

Mar 21, 2019 at 9:35 PM

I mentioned records I bought but prior to that an Aunt had Kay’s (?) Catalogue and you could buy 6 singles for a reduced price (bit like deal Jib mentioned at shops) and I was asked if I wanted to choose one. Limited to top 30 mainstream stuff but first record I owned therefore was “When you walk in the room” by The Searchers – still like it

• Pain in the Blog

Mar 21, 2019 at 9:37 PM

OG,

You seem to have lit the blue touch paper and retired. Incidentally, I also bought Vashti Bunyan’s Diamond Day, which you asked about a while back (I missed my chance to respond then) and lesh mentioned again recently. Robin Williamson played on that too. And Dave Swarbrick. It’s strange that quite a few of us bought such an obscure and esoteric album.

magscar and Ron, you both pre-date my concert-going by quite a few years. They must have been good.

• Jib

Mar 21, 2019 at 9:37 PM

Surely the time cannot be far away when the
    Belgian national side win something ?

• magscar

Mar 21, 2019 at 9:40 PM

Jib

Actually I think Nashville Teens were on that Bill I mentioned as well – usually 3 or 4 bands on each tour back then.

• Ron Knee

Mar 21, 2019 at 9:41 PM

Pain

Not a huge age difference I would have thought!

• Ron Knee

Mar 21, 2019 at 9:42 PM

Saw the Nashville Teens with Gene Vincent – London Palladium, 1969/70.

• magscar

Mar 21, 2019 at 9:43 PM

Ron

Hollies soundwise were one of the best acts I saw in 60’s great harmonies and playing

• Nicky the ball tosser

Mar 21, 2019 at 9:43 PM

I wonder if Rafa will give the Internationals a couple extra days off and start a few of them off the bench v Arsenal.

Something like…….Dubravka.
    ………..Fernandez….Lascelles….Lejeune..
    Manquillo……..Diame……Hayden………Ritchie.
    . …………..Perez………Muto………Atsu.

• Ron Knee

Mar 21, 2019 at 9:44 PM

Netherlands looking good too.

• Ron Knee

Mar 21, 2019 at 9:46 PM

magscar

Freddie & the Dreamers were top of the bill & lots of people walked out after the Hollies!

• magscar

Mar 21, 2019 at 9:46 PM

Pain

I was 16 and lucky enough to have the ticket bought for me by a mate otherwise couldn’t have gone I was in 6th form and no money 🙁

• magscar

Mar 21, 2019 at 9:55 PM

Ron

Tours were bit of mixed bag back then. Freddie was very mainstream and commercial but Hollies although commercial as well were beginning to write their own stuff by mid 60’s under a pseudonym I can’t recall at moment so could be 2 different audiences turning up

• Charlie in the Gallowgate

Mar 21, 2019 at 9:57 PM

First record- Ten Years After – Cricklewood Green
    First single – Free alright now
    Best concerts
    Bruce Springsteen – City Hall
    Stones – City Hall
    First match v Bury lost 3-1 1962 63 I think watched From in the Leazes End
    Memories of the Leazes End was the peanut sellers throwing the twists of nuts in their paper bags half way up the terracing.

• Nicky the ball tosser

Mar 21, 2019 at 9:57 PM

The first album I ever bought was ‘My Aim Is True” by Elvis Costello and the Attractions. Before that, I used to nick em.

I remember once walking out with an LP tucked down the front of my dacks, and a security guard coming up to me and saying, “young man, is that a record in your trousers”, and me replying, “no, no it isn’t, but then again, it’s nothing to be ashamed of either”. 🙂

• magscar

Mar 21, 2019 at 10:07 PM

Charlie

Bruce at SJP first of 2 nights in June 1985 absolutely brilliant . Still best live act I have seen