web analytics

Newcastle Having Second Thoughts On Top Striker Target This Summer

There’s a report in the Mirror today that Newcastle scouts ate having second thoughts on whether Hoffenheim striker Joelinton is the right man for Newcastle.

Newcastle were reported to be interested in the 22-year-old Brazilian striker in January and claims that even a fee around £50M had already been agreed for the player.

We doubt that particular report was accurate.

Getting in a new striker while keeping Salomon Rondon at the cub are what Rafa wants to do in the summer, if he decides to stay at the club.

22-year-old Hoffenheim striker Joelinton – would cost £40M

We need more goalscoring power up front although Rondon has been outstanding for us this season with 10 goals.

Joelinton would be very expensive and it’s important to get the right striker in this summer.

Hoffenheim are said to still want £40M for the Brazilian according to the Mirror report, and he has 11 goals and 9 assists this season in 32 total appearances for his German club.

But if we are going to pay out a club record fee of £40M he has to be an improvement on what we already have – a big improvement.

But some of the Newcastle scouting team are now thinking he may not be enough of an upgrade – especially for £40M.

If Rafa stays at Newcastle – we think he will – the 58-year-old wants to bring in five new players and sell at least that same number this summer to allow for new players coming in.

It’s always important to get players who are no longer wanted at Newcastle – off the wage bill.

If Rafa stays it should be a significant transfer window for Newcastle and Rafa will want players moved in quickly this summer.

Newcastle must be more ambitious and direct when we go after Rafa’s targets.

What do you think?

• Pickup Points Benitez

Mar 25, 2019 at 9:25 AM

Nostrodamus. Jibs comment isn’t a contradiction. It makes perfect sense.
    Essentially “whatever damage was present was able to have been fixed, whats the problem?”
    Apparently he is wrong as there was still visible pitch damage (not major), but his sentence still works.

• Optimistic Panda

Mar 25, 2019 at 9:28 AM

I apologise this isn’t a football post but theres a bloke at work eating yoghurt sandwiches

• Optimistic Panda

Mar 25, 2019 at 9:30 AM

Yogurt ones as well

• Novocastrian66

Mar 25, 2019 at 9:32 AM

Listened to an interview than John Motson did with Malcolm Macdonald. Super Mac was in good form but that odious Motson managed to mention all the low lights of Super Mac’s time with Newcastle United.

• Oldgit1

Mar 25, 2019 at 9:33 AM

Re the comments of where a ground is used for another sport, I can recall that the old Wembley pitch was regarded as the best playing surface in the world. So what did the stadium agree to do, was stage a horse show jumping event. It ruined the ground and never recovered.
    There was a real public outcry.

Strange I always thought the horse manure would have helped the grass.

• bettyswallocks

Mar 25, 2019 at 9:33 AM

Munster………. There was no mention of Gaelic football from me until you referred to me as a half wit for apparently vilifying rugby.

Neither was there any mention of the Irish Jig which apparently you give a good rendition of when you’re standing in a queue for the bog after several pints of Guinness.

• Pickup Points Benitez

Mar 25, 2019 at 9:34 AM

OP shoot him now. Clearly he is some sort of body snatching alien lifeform. Or something akin to “the thing”.
    Do you have a flamethrower handy?

• Jib

Mar 25, 2019 at 9:35 AM

yogurt is a dairy product
    so is butter and cheese

• Optimistic Panda

Mar 25, 2019 at 9:35 AM

Pickup

I’m in shock and cant move

• Pickup Points Benitez

Mar 25, 2019 at 9:38 AM

Betty and munster. Can we just quit the jibes.
    Munster, vilified was a stronger word than was required as was halfwit.
    Betty, making fun of another country’s sport is childish at best.
    Are you not both better than that?

• Pickup Points Benitez

Mar 25, 2019 at 9:40 AM

Jib so are ice cream and custard but i wouldnt slap them in a baguette

• bettyswallocks

Mar 25, 2019 at 9:41 AM

Munster went for a job on a building site , the foreman asked him , “Can you make tea Munster?” He replied, ” I can sir, I can. ” Foreman then asked him, “Can you drive a stacker truck?” He replied, “How big’s the fcukin Teapt?”

• Pickup Points Benitez

Mar 25, 2019 at 9:41 AM

OP then you are soon to be a member of the bodysnatcher hivemind

• bettyswallocks

Mar 25, 2019 at 9:42 AM

Teapot

• Pickup Points Benitez

Mar 25, 2019 at 9:43 AM

Betty, are you calling Munster witty or thick? That joke could mean either

• Jib

Mar 25, 2019 at 9:48 AM

Custard slice
    Ice-cream sandwich
    My case rests M’Lud

• Jib

Mar 25, 2019 at 9:52 AM

It depends on several factors
    The flavour of the yogurt
    The type of bread
    The consistency of the yogurt

• bettyswallocks

Mar 25, 2019 at 9:52 AM

Munster and his pal pooled their resources and decided to buy a pub. When they did their annual accounts it turned out that the pub was running at a loss, mainly because Munster had drunk all the profits.
    Munster’s pal suggested, “Munster, we’re doing no good at all with this ere pub. I think we should close the pub and open a brothel.
    To this Munster replied, ” If we can’t sell kin beer , what makes you think we’ll be able to sell broth?

• Jib

Mar 25, 2019 at 9:54 AM

Betty I your effort to belittle a fellow blogger
    (which is all you do – you seem to know nowt about footy)
    You have just registered a resounding FAIL

• Pickup Points Benitez

Mar 25, 2019 at 10:03 AM

Betty you’re boring as f$$# you like

• Jib

Mar 25, 2019 at 10:07 AM

England play Montenegro in the capital Podgorica
    voted the most boring city in Europe !

• Lindisfarne

Mar 25, 2019 at 10:16 AM

I can’t imagine Ashley paying £1B for a new St James Park stadium. Does that put us in the less than 6th category?

• Lindisfarne

Mar 25, 2019 at 10:21 AM

Guardian – Newcastle fan report
    It’s a positive mood here … tempered by some familiar Mike Ashley-shaped worries. We’ve recovered from a poor first half of the season to produce some outstanding performances, from the gritty trench warfare of Man City at home to a breathtaking comeback against Everton. We have new heroes (Salomón Rondón, Miguel Almirón, Fabian Schär), we’ve seen local lad Sean Longstaff break through, and we’ve witnessed Rafa get every last drop from players like Isaac Hayden and Ayoze Pérez. Fans are enjoying going to the match again… and that’s a huge achievement. Of course, if Rafa goes, that changes everything – and with takeover talk again receding, it doesn’t look as if our financial knight in shining armour will be arriving any time soon.

More of this please … Almirón on the ball, given his pace, nous and quick thinking. And when (and if) we reach safety, it would be great to see whether Yoshinori Muto and Antonio Barreca can cut it.

Less of this please … Silly mistakes … and giving away penalties and free- kicks. We’ve been punished by lapses in concentration and committed too many stupid fouls. It’s frustrating, especially as we can play with such solidity.

Predictions… We will finish 13th. The top four: 1 Man City; 2 Liverpool; 3 Arsenal; 4 Man United. Going down: 18 Cardiff; 19 Fulham; 20 Huddersfield

• Richard & David Holmes

• bettyswallocks

Mar 25, 2019 at 10:22 AM

Jib………….. Maybe you should also stick to your first love , that being the sport played with the ovoid ball. Judging by the amount of howlers you post on here, I can’t see how you can accuse anyone else of having no footy knowledge. Your mistakes when commenting on football are legendary as would be mine if I tried to comment on Rugby on which I know very little.

• Jib

Mar 25, 2019 at 10:33 AM

If you endeavour to make the blog interesting
    howlers will be made – even the boss (Ed)
    drops the odd clanger.
    You never do because you offer nothing but childish
    crap to the rest of us.

• G

Mar 25, 2019 at 10:37 AM

Oldgit @ 5. Didn’t they stupidly allow horses to run all over Wembley with Knights on them, just before the kick-off at Wembley of Euro 96? Seem to remember some idiot falling off his horse being the first injury of the tournament.

• DaveD1000

Mar 25, 2019 at 10:55 AM

As a kid I was introduced to sugar sandwiches by my auntie. I have followed this tradition and introduced the Grandboys to baked bean sarnies, digestive biscuit sarnies, and a choice of Mars bar/milky way sarnies. They call me awesome.
    HWTL(football bit)

• beermonkey

Mar 25, 2019 at 10:57 AM

dave

is that biscuit between bread or biscuit instead of bread

• Bobbybee

Mar 25, 2019 at 11:04 AM

Gary McCallister was attacked whilst in a queue for a taxi in Leeds. Wtf is wrong with people these days? He was a legend for Leeds. This is sickening.
    I quit drinking because, tbh, it makes me nasty. That used to come out with me brawling, so I quit. It makes a lot of people nasty. Violence is invariably connected with alcohol. Certainly most of the time there’s a connection. Granted, not everybody gets nasty with alcohol, I’m not saying ban it or anything, but isn’t it time they invented something people could drink, that doesn’t make them fight?
    Remember when football fans who used to fight stopped fighting because they were all on E? They were too loved up to fight. Read any of those books written by this firm or that’s ‘top boy’ (lol) and they all talk about how upset they were that nobody wanted to fight each other because they were E’d up. Are you telling me that in this day and age the experts, can’t invent something to replace alcohol – not for everybody, don’t panic – but for those who clearly can’t handle booze but think they’re big and clever getting pissed up and attacking strangers?
    Gary McCallister is a funny, inoffensive man. Knife crime at an all time high. I know this may be totally un PC, but I’ve never seen a stoned person want to kill someone, or someone on e’s frankly.
    This is not an attack on people who drink, so stay calm. Most of my mates drink but most of them can control themselves, but some can’t. It’s the ‘some’ who spoilt it. I’ll admit, I was one, but I did something about it in my early 20s.
    He’s woke up this morning with ten stitches in his face. It’s time a legal alternative was made available. Rant over. 🙂

• bettyswallocks

Mar 25, 2019 at 11:05 AM

Jib……… I do find some of your contributions interesting I’ll grant you that, but you are certainly no authority on football as you profess to be. Therefore undermining others as though you have superior knowledge is ridiculous.

• Bobbybee

Mar 25, 2019 at 11:06 AM

Beer monkey, no offence intended mate!!! 🙂

• Jib

Mar 25, 2019 at 11:08 AM

Ron remember the tuck shop on nuns moor rd
    crisp sarnies were all the rage

• Optimistic Panda

Mar 25, 2019 at 11:14 AM

It was a strawberry ski yogurt in a white soft bun.

• Bobbybee

Mar 25, 2019 at 11:16 AM

OP, each to their own, but the very thought makes me feel sick. 🙂

• Ron Knee

Mar 25, 2019 at 11:18 AM

No, Jib. This is the sixties, yes?

I was one of the all-weather smokers who used to go out every lunch-time, but it was strictly verboten to leave the premises. Never got caught!

• Bobbybee

Mar 25, 2019 at 11:19 AM

Cheese savoury in a stottie. Filling and oh so safisfying. Mmmmm stottie….

• RobLeenio

Mar 25, 2019 at 11:21 AM

Is having a strawberry yoghurt sandwich a little like having a strawberry jam sandwich?

Don’t mean to be controversial….

Personally love cheese and peanut butter in a sandwich. Mmmm

😀

• Bobbybee

Mar 25, 2019 at 11:26 AM

Rob, ever tried a cheese and jam sandwich, matey? I know it sounds weird, I thought so too – until I was persuaded to try it. Something about the sweet n savoury mix that makes it really nice.
    Wait until nobody is watching and sneak one. You’ll be surprised. 🙂

• Pickup Points Benitez

Mar 25, 2019 at 11:27 AM

Ron, Jib. I think the crisp sarnie tuck shop may have been a “bit” before my time too. But i love a crisp sarnie.
    Heres one lads, a Cheese and Jam toastie

• martoon

Mar 25, 2019 at 11:31 AM

I was reduced to watching San Marino v Scotland yesterday and now I’m reading about the pros & cons of Yogurt Sandwiches – god I wish this International break was over 😉