web analytics

Newcastle Having Second Thoughts On Top Striker Target This Summer

There’s a report in the Mirror today that Newcastle scouts ate having second thoughts on whether Hoffenheim striker Joelinton is the right man for Newcastle.

Newcastle were reported to be interested in the 22-year-old Brazilian striker in January and claims that even a fee around £50M had already been agreed for the player.

We doubt that particular report was accurate.

Getting in a new striker while keeping Salomon Rondon at the cub are what Rafa wants to do in the summer, if he decides to stay at the club.

22-year-old Hoffenheim striker Joelinton – would cost £40M

We need more goalscoring power up front although Rondon has been outstanding for us this season with 10 goals.

Joelinton would be very expensive and it’s important to get the right striker in this summer.

Hoffenheim are said to still want £40M for the Brazilian according to the Mirror report, and he has 11 goals and 9 assists this season in 32 total appearances for his German club.

But if we are going to pay out a club record fee of £40M he has to be an improvement on what we already have – a big improvement.

But some of the Newcastle scouting team are now thinking he may not be enough of an upgrade – especially for £40M.

If Rafa stays at Newcastle – we think he will – the 58-year-old wants to bring in five new players and sell at least that same number this summer to allow for new players coming in.

It’s always important to get players who are no longer wanted at Newcastle – off the wage bill.

If Rafa stays it should be a significant transfer window for Newcastle and Rafa will want players moved in quickly this summer.

Newcastle must be more ambitious and direct when we go after Rafa’s targets.

What do you think?

• DubaiMicky

Mar 25, 2019 at 11:31 AM

Well as we’re on the subject of food I bought half a kilo of Scottish sprouts, packed in Holland and bought here in Dubai for £4.00.

I miss sprouts.

A lot.

The missus doesn’t appreciate me eating too many of them, but every now and then a full packet to myself with mash/sausage and Bisto is a guilty pleasure.

• Bobbybee

Mar 25, 2019 at 11:32 AM

Pick up points – snap! 🙂 Cheese n jam, I love it. Our lass and my bairns won’t even try it, they think it sounds disgusting. ( I say bairns, they’re grown up now lol). I’ve always said, don’t knock something untul you’ve tried it. Yummy!

• RobLeenio

Mar 25, 2019 at 11:32 AM

Bobbybee, cheese and chilli jam is great – bought some from the Wiga Wagaa stall at the Quayside market yesterday.

I might try other fruits when everybodies’ backs are turned….

• The next Mike Williamson

Mar 25, 2019 at 11:33 AM

It’s a shame you can’t enforce a drinking ban for violent drunks. Most people are ok, but it just takes one to start a mass brawl or to murder someone for no reason. You could have a yellow and red card system. A yellow is a month ban. A red and you’re banned for a season. Three reds or a murder and you’re banned for life. It wouldn’t surprise me if you needed a license to drink in the future – the bad drunks and boring drunks having theirs taken away or reduced to a drinking in the house permit.

OP,
    I used to put plain yoghurt on my sandwiches in place of mayo – especially if it was a slightly dry filling. I think it’s common in Turkey as are ice-cream sandwiches in China. They also have noodle sandwiches, as well as sweet potato, mango, strawberry, and dozens of other weird fillers and multi-coloured sugary breads.

• RobLeenio

Mar 25, 2019 at 11:35 AM

On the great rugby at SJP debate, surely the conversation on whether it’s good to have these events is less about whether some turf needs to be replaced and more about who benefits?

If it costs £20k to put the turf back to good condition, that’s fine if the club has earned £1M in profits from the event. If those profits are going directly to Newcastle United Sports Entertainment Hypothetical Company Ltd, sole shareholder one Mike Ashley, then I have an issue with it.

• Ron Knee

Mar 25, 2019 at 11:36 AM

Which decade were you there, Pickup?

• Mister Tuff

Mar 25, 2019 at 11:40 AM

Wow – a newly discovered milk producing mammal now found to produce
    custard. Bloody amazing what you hear on here.

• Pickup Points Benitez

Mar 25, 2019 at 11:43 AM

The noughties ron. Im 31

• The next Mike Williamson

Mar 25, 2019 at 11:48 AM

If the last decade was the noughties, what is this decade we’ve been living the last nine years called? The teenies?

• Bobbybee

Mar 25, 2019 at 11:50 AM

Next Mike, good idea mate. I wasn’t having a dig at drinkers – our lass likes a bottle of wine – but I can’t believe in 2019 they can’t find an alternative for those who simply struggle to control themselves when they’re drunk. Like I say, I was one. I admit it, me and booze are a bad mix. And come ten o’clock, tbh, being around drunks when you’re sober is not a nice experience. 🙂
    Something needs to be done. You can’t ban drinking because it’s not fair on those who can handle it, but the violence connected with drink is simply getting out of hand. People are dying and the truth is, that’s two lives – and families – totally destroyed. The one who dies and the one in jail for life. Two lives ruined when under different conditions, it simply wouldn’t have happened. If Gary McCallister had gone down and cracked his skull, we could be addressing a tragedy today.
    Most people, when sober, are sensible. I’m pretty sure that if they – the ones who get nasty – had a legal alternative, they would accept booze isn’t good for them and drink the alternative.
    I don’t know the answer, but the question needs to be addressed sooner or later.

• Pickup Points Benitez

Mar 25, 2019 at 11:51 AM

And ice cream Tuff

• Pickup Points Benitez

Mar 25, 2019 at 11:52 AM

Mike. Its called the onesies

• Bobbybee

Mar 25, 2019 at 11:55 AM

Rob, cheese and strawberry or raspberry jam mate. Sweet and sour. Honestly, it’s lovely. Ain’t that right PPB? We clearly need to convert the unbelievers. They know not what they miss. 🙂

• Ron Knee

Mar 25, 2019 at 11:56 AM

Pickup

When I was there, people used to speak of script writer Ian La Frenais who’d left in the 50s.

• Mister Tuff

Mar 25, 2019 at 12:03 PM

Best cheese and jam combination ever is the French cheese Osseau-Iraty with a dab of black cherry jam.
    The big supermarkets sell Osseau- Iraty.

• Bobbybee

Mar 25, 2019 at 12:06 PM

Spurs finally tested their new stadium. Apparently its wonderful. Totally cashless apparently, they only accept card payments. Another push towards a cashless society, which is a worry because its failed in other countries – another discussion.
    The Moose – talksport – reckons is the best in the world in his experience. I’ve got friends in London, I might travel down a few days before, recover sufficiently at their place and then go watch us there. That’ll be a week gone!

• The next Mike Williamson

Mar 25, 2019 at 12:12 PM

Betsy,
    Isn’t milk the primary ingredient for custard?

• martoon

Mar 25, 2019 at 12:16 PM

Bobby @56 – Spurs new stadium looks very impressive – good article about it here:

• martoon

Mar 25, 2019 at 12:20 PM

The next Mike Williamson @57 – The main ingredient of custard is eggs but it does have milk or cream in it as well – whether you can describe it as a dairy product is only debated by anally retentive people!

• Tsunki

Mar 25, 2019 at 12:33 PM

Eating a yogurt sandwich?

How very dairy? 😀

• Tsunki

Mar 25, 2019 at 12:34 PM

We are reduced to being a custard blog now are we?

Great! I’m all for it. Custard is the future you can put it on anything!

• Pickup Points Benitez

Mar 25, 2019 at 12:36 PM

Ah ron. The man behind porridge and auf wiedersehen pet. I would attempt to regale my schoolmates with stories from those series but they’d be more interested in bo selecta or something else.

• Tsunki

Mar 25, 2019 at 12:40 PM

It came to my attention the other day the tragic news that Macdonald’s had dropped the toffee sundae some months ago. I just wanted one last time together but I never got the chance 🙁

• Pickup Points Benitez

Mar 25, 2019 at 12:40 PM

Do you reckon Ashley prefers runny or set custard

• Tsunki

Mar 25, 2019 at 12:42 PM

Hmm. Milk as the Primary he said. As in main volume? He could be quite right. Eggs would be the main key ingredient perhaps. I think we need to analyze this in more depth…

• Tsunki

Mar 25, 2019 at 12:43 PM

PPB I’d say runny as it has better projectile properties.

• Tsunki

Mar 25, 2019 at 12:46 PM

I also just learned marmite and peanut butter is a thing.

Life’s a never ending education.

• Tsunki

Mar 25, 2019 at 12:48 PM

Sorry I should keep my comments custard – related.

• Pickup Points Benitez

Mar 25, 2019 at 12:50 PM

Marmite is a godsend for us veggies. Makes food almost beefy in flavour

• Mister Tuff

Mar 25, 2019 at 12:54 PM

A never ending education on the blog – indeed.

My custard investigation reveals that some of the fertility boffins have now succeeded in mating a cow with a chicken in order to produce custard.
    Information about these procedures, as you would expect, is very hard to obtain but on behalf of the blog I’ve manged to get an image of the “parents” just before consummation.

• RobLeenio

Mar 25, 2019 at 1:01 PM

On topic

Thunder and lightning ice cream is the best thing ever.

• lesh

Mar 25, 2019 at 1:06 PM

bettyswallocks

Having pops at Munster suggests you’ve still got your Farage/ Bannon/ Johnson/ Wetherspoon Times conditioned Brexit head on? I may of course be wrong.

As Pete Seeger sang ‘when will they ever learn?’ – how apt, frightening!

• Pickup Points Benitez

Mar 25, 2019 at 1:12 PM

Tuff
    Lets be honest. Custard is dairy. Eggs are for thickening the sugary dairy product. Custard isn’t all about birds (see what I did there?)

On another note. My favourite term i have heard for an injury resulting in a kick to the nethers is “ooof he’s ruptured his custard”

• RobLeenio

Mar 25, 2019 at 1:14 PM

I see Nobby has come out on top in a poll in The Mag for best Premier League era NUFC overseas player, 42% against David Ginola’s 38%.

I think that’s fair. Ginola was amazing to watch, a true genius of his craft. NObby was more dedicated, more likely to track back and do the dirty work, had to work harder for his ability to come through, but still capable of amazing skill.

In short, a better all-round game, but also far more loyal.

• Pickup Points Benitez

Mar 25, 2019 at 1:14 PM

Rob i prefer lakes gin myself

• Pickup Points Benitez

Mar 25, 2019 at 1:16 PM

Rob
    Cannot disagree with that. Nobby was a top, humble bloke who just got on, did his job ans sometimes played a trumpet

• sing in the corner

Mar 25, 2019 at 1:25 PM

i see the blog is a bit desserted today….

• c-dog

Mar 25, 2019 at 1:30 PM

If Rafa wants Joelinton go and get him.
    Surely the 19th richest club in world football can easily afford him

• RobLeenio

Mar 25, 2019 at 1:30 PM

Mate of mine was selling gas and electricity door to door in Chapel House, knocked on a door and Nobby answered with his Trumpet in his hand (behave). He invited him in, made him a cup of tea and signed up – said he was the nicest guy you could ever meet.

I think he still lives round here somewhere.

Oh, and PPB The Lakes distillery does do good gin, the whiskey’s pretty good too. Some company up there does a toffee vodka which is also great over ice cream.

• Mindshaft

Mar 25, 2019 at 1:51 PM

BobbyBee – hit harsh, that’s 0.00001% of idiot drinkers , what about drug takers or even smokers, drink drivers, general idiots – manic depressives who kill their families before committing suicide – the list go’s on and on – luckily, we live in a democracy thank god (although given MP’s comments its hard to think so).

Long live the toon – vote to cancel all internationals (it’s always sub standard crap football anyway)