web analytics

Report – It’s Almost Certain Rafa Will Sign New Deal To Stay At Newcastle

Luke Edwards in the Telegraph is today reporting that it’s almost certain that Rafa Benitez will stay and sign a new contract to stay onboard as soon as Newcastle are safe in the Premier League.

The report is that behind the scenes Rafa has been kept up to date on the stance to some of his requirements from the hierarchy – code for owner Mike Ashley.

The brief talks that have been going on are said to have been particularly constructive, and it seems that Rafa is happy enough with what’s been offered to him so far in terms of commitments.

And in the last few weeks, we’ve noticed he does seem more positive and relaxed about his Newcastle future.

It looks like it’s thumbs up from Rafa Benitez on Newcastle stay

He seemed very positive at his press conference on Friday afternoon and hardly looked like a manager who would leave the club in a couple of months.

The report in the Telegraph is that things have changed a lot behind the scenes and to the advantage of Rafa and what he wants the club to do for him to stay.

Ashley has agreed to put some significant investment into the Youth Academy and U23 setup so Rafa can produce some players who come through the Academy and into the first team.

That was really a no-brainer for Ashley because it will save the club lots of money in the long term and it’s something a club like Newcastle should be doing.

And it seems that Ashley is willing to spend some money in the transfer window this summer to bring in at least one more top money signing – much like we did in late January with Miguel Almiron – who has added some class and speed to the side.

There have been several reports of late that have looked positive about Rafa’s future at the club.

We hope Newcastle can get a couple of wins on the trot and then the club could announce Rafa is staying – a five-year extension would be good.

A ten-year extension would be better.

๐Ÿ™‚

But until he signs it’s still an “if” but things seem to be looking more positive.

How Will Newcastle Fare At Arsenal?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

Comments are always welcome.

• lesh

Apr 1, 2019 at 3:11 PM

Jib

You wish I was a useless football manager?

Well, being a useless football manager’s be a step up for you – that’s better than being totally useless! ๐Ÿ˜‰

• lesh

Apr 1, 2019 at 3:13 PM

With all these stories about Rafa being near to signing up, we shouldn’t forget today’s date.

• Bobbybee

Apr 1, 2019 at 3:23 PM

Amazing. The owner of that lot down the road has once again being having a dig at us. Saying the mackems are a bigger club than us. Talk about deluded. Did he see their attendance last season as they showed their true colours? So they had a trip to Wembley – pity they couldn’t even win the Special Needs Cup innit? What a bloody clown. Don’t know his name, he’s just some loser who owns them. Never heard of him tbh. ๐Ÿ™‚ Hopefully they’ll have another unsuccessful trip to Wembley to lose the play off final. You know what comes to mind? “I would love it, just love it…” ๐Ÿ™‚ What a whopper.

• ronaldo aarons

Apr 1, 2019 at 3:24 PM

Not only that, some Sunderland fans had masks of mike ashley outside Wembley. Mind boggles!

• Ron Knee

Apr 1, 2019 at 3:26 PM

Newcastle United FC
    ?Verified account @NUFC

111′ – SUBSTITUTE: United make their final change of the match, with Jack Young coming on for goalscorer Mo Sangare. 3-2. #NUFC

• Jib

Apr 1, 2019 at 3:27 PM

“Jib
    Apr 1, 2019 at 1:53 PM
    “Charlie in the Gallowgate
    Hell wish I was a useless football manager”
    Charlie Iโ€™ve read your match reports
    Mark my words
    You qualify โ€“ easily”

Lesh I know you are sadly desperate
    for attention but you must learn to read posts
    properly

• toon22

Apr 1, 2019 at 3:28 PM

Itโ€™s odd how the Mackems are so fixated on our club

I suppose itโ€™s due to them knowing just how sh1te they really are

LoL

• Jib

Apr 1, 2019 at 3:28 PM

By the way that was followed by a smiley
    to show it was in fun

• toon22

Apr 1, 2019 at 3:29 PM

JIB

Thatโ€™s a bit rich coming from you lol

Have we been sold yet ?

• Jib

Apr 1, 2019 at 3:29 PM

toon22
    The expert on fixations

• Bobbybee

Apr 1, 2019 at 3:31 PM

Lesh, I’ve been saying for the last three years that Rafa would sign an extension before he walked away mate. I’ve never doubted it. There’s been about a dozen times during that period when people on this very blog have been convinced he was about to walk, but I’ve always maintained he would stay and sign again. Now Luke Edwards is saying it too. April 1st or not! ๐Ÿ™‚ That little smile and “we’ll see” when asked the question speaks volumes.
    Of course, Ashley could still manage to salvage defeat from the Jaws of victory, but I’m pretty confident hell sign now. Gtf in!!! ๐Ÿ™‚

• Ron Knee

Apr 1, 2019 at 3:38 PM

United are through to the semi-finals of the #PLCup!

• RobLeenio

Apr 1, 2019 at 3:39 PM

U23s have won. That’s a canny result against the team in 3rd place in the PL2 top division.

• Jib

Apr 1, 2019 at 3:45 PM

I never doubted that Ashley would make
    concessions – he’s not that stupid

• Lovem or Hatem

Apr 1, 2019 at 3:51 PM

I still hope that Ashley will sell, once NUFC is safe from relegation

• Jib

Apr 1, 2019 at 3:52 PM

Lovem or Hatem
    I disagree I’d rather have an owner
    that Rafa has by the stotts

• Bobbybee

Apr 1, 2019 at 3:56 PM

Tough game tonight but thanks to dodgy refereeing I think we’re pretty safe now.
    Cardiff were robbed yesterday, so it’s, fair to say we’re not the only ones who suffer from disgraceful decisions. Cardiff being another long journey from London the softies can’t handle. Bless, the prima Donna’s don’t like long trips from the shiny lights. The fans love it from what I’ve established talking to away supporters, but the players don’t apparently. Not like its far on the plane is it? I’ve heard it from Spurs, Arsenal and Chelsea fans so maybe there is something in it. Pathetic. The fans love to have a weekend up here – maybe the players should stay over, they might change their minds! ๐Ÿ™‚
    Like Edwards now on Talksport saying he doesn’t want to betray confidences but he’s heard its pretty much a done deal. Like me, he adds Ashley could mess it up but…

• beermonkey

Apr 1, 2019 at 3:57 PM

jib @14

were you paid to say that

• Lovem or Hatem

Apr 1, 2019 at 3:57 PM

@ Jib

I’d rather have an owner and manager that get on with each other and have a shared goal

• Jib

Apr 1, 2019 at 4:00 PM

beer
    The cheque’s in the post I’m told
    ๐Ÿ˜›

• beermonkey

Apr 1, 2019 at 4:08 PM

jib

goto pay for that trip to spain

• Bobbybee

Apr 1, 2019 at 4:09 PM

Jib, truth be told we’re stuck with the knacka mate. He’s going nowhere in a hurry, not until he gets an offer he can’t refuse anyway. I just try to ignore him as much as I possibly can. I’m just glad it’s looking like Rafa’s staying after three years of saying I thought he would! ๐Ÿ™‚ No doubt people were queuing up to slaughter me for it lmao! He’s never struck me as someone willing to walk away from a challenge and boy, he’s got a challenge here alright.
    We’re not far short of a decent team and providing money is made available in the summer – and if he stays he must’ve had some assurances – we can be safe from relegation by the time the third round comes around. A cup is definitely not put of the question with him in charge. (I’ll keep saying ‘if’ until its confirmed, because Ashley could still muck it all up).

• ronaldo aarons

Apr 1, 2019 at 4:09 PM

Do they tell you how much the cheque is or are they undisclosed? ๐Ÿ˜‰

• Bobbybee

Apr 1, 2019 at 4:13 PM

Just heard on the radio that VAR won’t be used in the play off final for whatever reason. There you go mackems, your excuse is already in place for not getting promoted. ๐Ÿ™‚

• Jib

Apr 1, 2019 at 4:20 PM

KO
    3Hrs 40 mins

• beermonkey

Apr 1, 2019 at 4:22 PM

ronaldo

just ask the frog all payments are undisclosed

• beermonkey

Apr 1, 2019 at 4:24 PM

jib

dont try and muscle in on a job thats not urs you are the google person
    essex is the count down time person

• Bobbybee

Apr 1, 2019 at 4:25 PM

Just had somebody one FB trying to boast they beat us in the Special Needs cup. It was in gibberish so I had to translate it, but I got there in the end. Seriously? Bragging their grown adult strongest side beat our academy players? ๐Ÿ™‚ Literally men against boys. Hilarious. Honestly, the gift that never stops giving.

• lesh

Apr 1, 2019 at 4:27 PM

Bobby

I’ve never questioned your optimism and it’s based on putting a lot of pieces of the jigsaw in place. Yes, Rafa clearly wants to stay on but you’re not naive and are well aware that being a maverick as well as a liar, Ashley could just as easily pee Rafa off before clearing the final hurdle – or even after it’s been cleared.

We can but hope that Rafa signs up and Ashley learns to be flexible and trust and let Rafa get on with getting the balance between youth and the experience that can secure the points that brings in prize money and trophies which in turn can bring in more revenue. But and as you well know, Ashley only seems to see players as potential profit rather than components of a side could bring in more than any profit on their purchase and subsequent sales.

Bobby, I’ll be happy to trust your intuition and insight.

As an aside, how’d your scan go? Any results that might bring hope that your life could be made a tad easier? Your resilience is remarkable.

• Jib

Apr 1, 2019 at 4:29 PM

beer
    Essex appointed me first reserve ages ago

• RobLeenio

Apr 1, 2019 at 4:39 PM

Aye, Bobby, I’ll not be counting my chickens with regard to Rafa till the ink has dried on this contract. At the moment it’s all hearsay, rumour and speculation. I’m confident he’ll sign, but until then I’ll be adding ‘if’, ‘when’ and ‘maybe’ to all communications I think.

If Ashley gets him to sign, with the assumption that this means he’ll be investing the club’s money back into the club and trying to grow the commercial side of the business, the protests against his ownership will be well and truly scuppered. Not sure how I feel about that, honestly. The club would be better in the long run with an owner with vision, but it is better in the short term with a stable presence behind Rafa, giving him what he needs to drive the club forward.

It’s a tricky one, for sure.

• Charlie in the Gallowgate

Apr 1, 2019 at 4:46 PM

Rafa
    Maybe just maybe Rafa and Ashley get on
    Yes not on the money and transfer going ons older players and paying top dollar
    But on the playing side – of not interfering with picking the team and how he organisers them
    Owners of various clubs are getting more and more involved with picking teams and transfers – Oldham and Psul Scholes
    Just a thought !!

• Bobbybee

Apr 1, 2019 at 4:51 PM

Lesh, of course, you’re bang on mate. You won’t get an argument from me that Ashley is more than capable of messing this up – there’s nobody living or dead more capable of making a mess of this.
    Just little things Rafa’s said and done that convinced me a long time ago that he would sign a new contract and basically a good strong gut feeling he would stay. I’ve never doubted it but have always said, I might be wrong. It’s not like I’ve got inside information or anything so it is all based on my own belief that he wants to do something fantastic here and win a trophy. Let’s be honest, if anybody can, he can and its unlikely any other manager currently available could even come close.
    I know Ashley could mess this up but really, Ashley needs Rafa far more than Rafa needs Ashley. And if he does stay, he’s not staying for Ashley, he’s doing it for those 50k who turn out in all weather’s to back him faithfully. I just believe. I’ve been to the mountain top!! ๐Ÿ™‚
    Not had the results yet mate. Had another mri scan the other day on my neck and upper back. (The one the other week was for my lower back). Exciting life me eh? ๐Ÿ™‚
    I’ve developed a bit of a Quasimodo stoop, which apparently is par for the course due to calcification of the vertebrae, and lying in my back is nasty, but during the scan there was a crack and felt like I dropped a big distance – must’ve only been a fraction of an inch really though – as the calcification snapped. Actually straightened me out a bit, but bloody hurt. ๐Ÿ™‚
    Should get the results in a couple of weeks but will have to wait for an appt with the surgeon to see if I’m suitable for the operation. Fingers crossed mate.

• Lindisfarne

Apr 1, 2019 at 4:53 PM

My first thought when I read Rafa saying “but I want to be fair with Christian Atsu, too, because he was doing well.โ€ was that he may get a start tonight, especially if Rondon or Almiron are fatigued. However, I presume he really means that Atsu will come on as substitute which will probably suit him better, as he is yet to get a goal and there should be more opportunity against tired legs. Then we shall have to see what happens when we have all our forwards scoring, as I hope Miggy gets one tonight.

• toon22

Apr 1, 2019 at 4:56 PM

Think we will get a win tonight

0-1 the toon

• Bobbybee

Apr 1, 2019 at 4:57 PM

Rob, no doubt about it, we would be better off with another owner, but reality scuppers that dream. We can protest all we want but clearly, the only way Ashley is leaving is in the back of ยฃ300m. He doesn’t give a toss what we think mate and that’s the hard reality.
    The next best thing to Ashley leaving is Rafa staying.

• Bobbybee

Apr 1, 2019 at 4:59 PM

Hope you’re right Toon 22, I’ve gone for a win on the poll but then, I can never put us to lose in case I jinx it! ๐Ÿ™‚

• posada

Apr 1, 2019 at 5:06 PM

Relax.
    If Rafa does not sign MA has two options lined up.
    Both cheap as they are looking for work.

Parsnip or the Devine Tuft.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Apr 1, 2019 at 5:09 PM

Jib, exit stage left!

2 Hours 50 Minutes to KO. ๐Ÿ™‚

• Essex Geordie Bill

Apr 1, 2019 at 5:11 PM

I really want Shelvey to start tonight, he needs to be cool headed though as they’ll be niggling him from the off.