web analytics

Newcastle Have Definitely Improved Since January

Jamaal Lascelles will probably keep his place in defense tomorrow, but Rafa will have to find room for Fabian Schar to come back into the side.

Fabian is available after serving a two-match ban for picking up 10 red cards for the season and he helps to steady the defense when he plays.

The Swiss International is also an excellent outlet to turn defense into attack.

That’s something we need when we will attack the opposition – as we will tomorrow against Crystal Palace.

It’s also an opportunity to win six successive home wins – who said St. James’ Park was not a fortress?

Captain Jamaal Lascelles (shown above) has talked about the game in the Chronicle today and he thinks we are a better side than at the turn of the year:

“They [Arsenal] and Liverpool are probably two of the biggest teams we’ve got left to play, and we’ve crossed that off.  We look at the other games.”

“Our home games are important.”

“Palace is a big game for us. We’d like to finish ahead of them, and to do that we need to beat them on Saturday.”

“They’ve got good players going forward – there’s Townsend,  Zaha, Benteke. I think if we defend well, we’ll be fine.”

“It’s back to the drawing board, the training pitch. We’ll get our heads down and go again.”

“It’ll be a tough team, but the Arsenal loss won’t dent our confidence at all. We’ll go into that game with a lot of confidence in front of our home fans, and we’ll look to get three points.”

“I definitely think we’ve improved since January. I think, defensively, we’ve been pretty consistent throughout the last two years.”

“Since Rondon’s come in and  Almiron’s come in, I think we’ve really stepped up going forward.”

“We’re more creative and we’re scoring more goals. We’re more of a threat now.”

“I think getting some players in has definitely had a big impact and was a turning point in our season.”

“I feel fine now. Injuries haven’t really come at the right time this season, but I feel fine now,”

“Hopefully, I can stay fit and finish off the season stronger.”

How Will Newcastle Fare Against Crystal Palace?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

Comments are always welcome.

• toonbrother

Apr 5, 2019 at 4:45 PM

10 red cards lol
    Schar must be a nutter

• Toondog2

Apr 5, 2019 at 4:49 PM

Good lad is Schar
    Insert smiley here!

• Toondog2

Apr 5, 2019 at 4:50 PM

Wasn’t it 10 yellows though
    Be out fore a season if they were 10 reds!!

Apr 5, 2019 at 4:51 PM

Fabian Schar doesn’t play around.

Apr 5, 2019 at 4:52 PM

Just reading that Hennessy getting off free for being pictured doing nazi salutes. Aye, FA are serious about racism indeed.

Apr 5, 2019 at 4:54 PM

Lascelles has had a bit of a tough year as he hasn’t hit the standards he set past 2 seasons. Still rate him and see him as worthy or being our captain.

• Diddly

Apr 5, 2019 at 4:57 PM

Indeed Ronaldo imagine a fan doing that

Apr 5, 2019 at 5:03 PM

Diddly
    Quite shocking the double standards. We just had the Montenegro game too which we were outspoken about but there’s too many issues that we don’t address or even acknowledge. Sad thing is, we are still better than many other nations which is quite scary.

• Diddly

Apr 5, 2019 at 5:10 PM

Authorities all of them home and internationally not tough enough. It was bad in the 70s and 80s in England. Not much goes on now in England a few incidents. Fines are no good. Individuals should get stiffer sentences. But that should be for all crimes. Our laws are far too soft. And foreign teams seem not that bothered to there shame.

Apr 5, 2019 at 5:12 PM

I posted them stats on here earlier about the players who created most in open play. Surprised that Matt Ritchie wasn’t on there.

Apr 5, 2019 at 5:17 PM

Diddly
    John Barnes is actually a footballer who is out spoken about all this and actually is very good.

Does seem to be a case of more people starting to get braver and not fearing consequences as we’ve have many incidents especially in London of racist abuse this season at football games.

• lochinvar

Apr 5, 2019 at 5:25 PM

Somebody like to remind Jermaine that Liverpool is at home as in SJP …..where we’ve already beaten the League Leaders Man City
    No reason why we can’t beat the second team in the League to contribute to Sky and the BBC frothing over with excitement as the season draws to a close

Up and at em

Apr 5, 2019 at 5:30 PM

Loch
    I remember Merson said we had ‘zilcho chancho’ of bearing Man City.

Hopefully jenas said something similar, thing better than throwing egg on a fools face.

Apr 5, 2019 at 5:31 PM

Bearing? Beating

• Lovem or Hatem

Apr 5, 2019 at 5:51 PM

@ NY Mag

Maybe Ashley is delaying the accounts because he is still expecting a bid from a potential buyer once NUFC are safe!

• jane

Apr 5, 2019 at 5:52 PM

“The 32-year-old had denied the charge.

He said any resemblance to the Nazi gesture was “absolutely coincidental”.

The Wales international has previously said he “waved and shouted at the person taking the picture to get on with it” and “put my hand over my mouth to make the sound carry”.

“This was a genuinely innocent moment, which appeared to be something completely different when captured on camera,” he said following the FA’s decision on Friday.”

• RobLeenio

Apr 5, 2019 at 6:07 PM

Interesting stats those Ronaldo. Far more weighty than assists for eg in some respects.

After all an assist depends on someone else sticking the ball in the net from the chance you’ve created, which is generally outside your control

Apr 5, 2019 at 6:27 PM

Rob
    Thanks. I do think they are better than what assists can show. Good seeing almiron just out there ahead although that’s over less games. Hopefully see him shelvey and Perez on the same pitch from the start tomorrow.

Thought it may have been useful for others to discuss but seems it has been ignored lol.

Apr 5, 2019 at 6:28 PM

Lovem
    That’s grasping at straws lol. If I recall, the accounts last year were late too and released in may.

• lochinvar

Apr 5, 2019 at 6:54 PM

Presumably Hennessy gets off the FA charge because they didn’t have any definitive evidence. There was no definitive evidence when they did Shelvey yet he was charged and hung out to dry.
    Double standards again FA ?
    Surely not.

• lochinvar

Apr 5, 2019 at 6:56 PM

Oops typo earlier. It was Jamal to wrote off the Liverpool game, not Jermaine Jennas

Somebody like to remind Jamal that Liverpool is at home as in SJP …..where we’ve already beaten the League Leaders Man City

• Ron Knee

Apr 5, 2019 at 6:59 PM

Come On You Reds!

• Charlie in the Gallowgate

Apr 5, 2019 at 7:06 PM

With Yedlin, Diame and Hayden carrying knocks
    Wonder if Rafa will change the line up
    Rafa bingo maybe like to see Muto and Ki starting with Shelvey
    My team
    Dubravka
    LeJuene, Dummett, Schar, Ritchie
    Muto, Shelvey, Ki
    Perez, Almiron
    Rondon

Apr 5, 2019 at 7:08 PM

Loch
    Oh ok, that make sure more sense. I was wondering why jenas would be talking about our game v Liverpool now.

Apr 5, 2019 at 7:09 PM

Loch
    Well they did have a picture posted by his teammate max meyer, but fa rather just buried their head in the sand in typical fashion.

• jane

Apr 5, 2019 at 7:15 PM

“Newcastle United midfielder Jonjo Shelvey’s five-game racial abuse ban was upheld on the strength of “clear and compelling” evidence by three Wolves players.”

• NY Mag

Apr 5, 2019 at 7:15 PM

LorH,

I would like to believe that…..but the reality is likely to be somewhat different

Apr 5, 2019 at 7:22 PM

Charlie
    That team looks proper disjointed to me lol.

Is that a back four with lejeune rb, dummett cb and Ritchie lb?

Then muto cm?

• Charlie in the Gallowgate

Apr 5, 2019 at 7:35 PM

I know
    Rafa won’t go with four at the back
    More like
    Dubravka
    Manquilla, LeJuene, Lascslles, Schar, Dummett
    Ritchie, Shelvey
    Perez, Almiron
    Rondon

• Bobbybee

Apr 5, 2019 at 7:45 PM

C dog, no decision has been made. So, why is it not looking good? Why even say that? Is that not negativity? It is.
    I’ve made no secret of my position – I’ve said I fully expect him to stay. No reason. No inside information, nothing I’ve heard – just my naturally optimistic nature. But I’ve also said, I might be wrong. Ashley can mess it up. Of course he can. I haven’t said he will stay, just that I think he will stay.
    And if I’m wrong, I’m wrong. But right now, it’s not looking bad at all. It’s not looking good either. It’s not looking anything, which was my point.
    There’s no need to saying it’s looking bad. THAT is bringing negativity to the blog. Doom n gloom where there’s no need for it. Put a smile on your face ffs matey. There’ll be enough time for negativity if he decides not to stay.
    So what, you’re gonna take great pleasure in telling me I was wrong if he leaves? Just think about that. You’ll be revelling in the fact that he’s gone, just so you can say ‘I told you so’? Well, whatever turns you on. You feel free. You won’t make me feel any worse than I will if he decides not to stay – I’ll be devasted. Not because I was right or wrong, but because it will damage my club. But if being right is that important? You knock yourself out. It says far about you than me. But I haven’t rubbed anybody’s nose in it every time I’ve been right so far – and I could’ve done – I’ve just been happy he’s stayed. That’s been enough for me. Every time. And if he stays, I guarantee now, I won’t be coming on here saying “I was right, I was right, you were wrong”. Not a chance. I’ll just be happy he’s staying. I hope you will be too. You can do happy can’t you? 🙂

• Charlie in the Gallowgate

Apr 5, 2019 at 7:47 PM

Ronaldo
    I was trying to get Shelvey, Muto and Ki in the same team
    Shelvey for the passing with Muto and Ki doing the running linking up with Perez Almiron and Rondon
    I know it looks strange but with Diame and Hayden on midfield there is no passing and link up play

• Bobbybee

Apr 5, 2019 at 7:52 PM

Fancy having to cheer Liverpool on. God, it goes against the grain, but needs must.
    I think we’re safe already tbh. Or will be after tomorrow for sure when we smash the Crystal (Palace). I’ll be amazed if Cardiff reach 35 points and amazed if we don’t get any more points,butjust in case – come in you reds. (Washes mouth out with handy drink). 🙂

• jane

Apr 5, 2019 at 7:52 PM

“C dog, no decision has been made. So, why is it not looking good? Why even say that?”

the likes of C dog/toon22/Jail/lesh say this sort of thing because they want Rafa to leave so they can blame Ashley because their anti-Ashley outweights their pro-Rafa. what miseries they are.

• Bobbybee

Apr 5, 2019 at 7:54 PM

Shelvey might have to play tomorrow if Hayden and Diame fail a fitness test. He should be playing anyway. He’s our most creative midfielder by far.

• jane

Apr 5, 2019 at 7:54 PM

i’d take a draw tonight to dent Liverpool’s title challenge >:D

• Bobbybee

Apr 5, 2019 at 7:56 PM

Jane, maybe your right, but I’d like to think every Newcastle fan should want the best for the club. But then, I am an optimist 🙂

• Bobbybee

Apr 5, 2019 at 8:00 PM

Does that bug anybody else? Players waiting until they come onfield before talking to their imaginary friend?
    Look at me, aren’t I religious? That was worse – turning to face the camera to do it ffs.

• Jib