web analytics

Newcastle Lose Ground In Race For Survival

Since the international break, Newcastle have lost two games without being able to score a goal.

We were well-beaten at Arsenal 2-0 on Monday night and yesterday at home to Crystal Palace we lost 1-0 through a penalty awarded to Palace after 81 minutes.

We again had good opportunities to score but missed every one of them.

At the same time, Burnley have won two games so they have gained 6 points on Newcastle and are now a point above us in the league table.

The Saints lost 3-1 at home to Liverpool on Friday night.

Rafa Benitez – on the touchline yesterday

We are still 7 points above Cardiff with a better goal difference and it will depend on whether the south Wales team can start winning some of their final six games.

Cardiff play at in-form Burnley next Saturday and Newcastle will play an early game at Leicester City on Friday night.

We must try to save ourselves by starting to win some of the final five games.

Fri 12 Apr   Leicester vs Newcastle         8:00pm
Sat 20 Apr   Newcastle vs Southampton       5:30pm
Sat 27 Apr   Brighton vs Newcastle          5:30pm
Sun 05 May   Newcastle vs Liverpool         4:30pm
Sun 12 May   Fulham vs Newcastle            3:00pm

And here are the current league positions in the lower half of the table after the weekend games

PosTeamGamesGDPoints
10West Ham38-352
11Watford38-750
12Crystal Palace38-249
13Newcastle38-645
14Bournemouth38-1445
15Burnley38-2240
16Southampton38-2039
17Brighton38-2536
18Cardiff38-3534
19Fulham38-3726
20Huddersfield38-5416

Who Was Newcastle's Best Player Against Crystal Palace?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• Rotonda heights

Apr 7, 2019 at 9:46 AM

I’m sorry but Yedlin is the worst defender I’ve ever seen at SJP and that says something with the dross we’ve had on display down the years. The guy is an athlete but never ever in a million years a footballer. Even getting forward his final ball is usually very poor. Yes pace is a requisite these days but if you have nothing else to offer technically and can’t read the game at all you are a waste of a shirt at PL level.

I’ve lost count of the number of goals conceded that are a direct result of Yedlin most often being out of position, scoring own goals, giving away penalties etc, etc. Add in red cards too. Even Rafa can’t make a defender out of someone who is seemingly more interested in his hair and tattoos. If Yedlin’s captain, the USA must have a really s–t team. Rant over.

Every time Man city succeed is a kick in the stomach and reminder of Ash’s all consuming greed,oafish behaviour and lack of class in turning down the Mansours. Rafa must know Ashley can’t ever be trusted and is probably preparing the long goodbye. Second rant over.

• toonbrother

Apr 7, 2019 at 10:01 AM

Yedlin is rubbish
    Rafa has been rubbish recently as well why play 5 at the back? Stupid
    Its a shame Leicester didnt poach him so we could get Brendan Rogers instead
    We need a modern attack-oriented coach
    Rafa and Mourinho are relics of the past

• Munster Mag

Apr 7, 2019 at 10:03 AM

Wan bissaka is a super young player. Desperate result yesterday but we lack players in key positions and unless we are on form we struggle. If Cardiff recover its going to get ugly. Sadly now looking like Burnley are better than us 🙁

• Toondog2

Apr 7, 2019 at 10:17 AM

Frankly I can only see maybe 3 more points possibly away to Fulham as Brighton and Southampton are much improved and we won’t get anything from Leicester or Liverpool. So the prediction of 17th seems to be the likely end result. Hopefully!!
    Every year no progress just hoping to stay up, not good enough.
    I don’t know how Rafa has the energy to keep going just to tread water and if he leaves I couldn’t blame him.
    Fed up

• JohnJ

Apr 7, 2019 at 10:18 AM

Don’t forget this team (Palace) is the team that beat Man C at their place……. I always knew this was going to a tough game! I had it down as a draw…….

It’s painful every time Newcastle United get beat!!!

I managed to see most of the second half (courteous of one of Ancient C’s links) eventually the link died but by then we’d blown it but from what I saw we’d had enough chances to seal a win.

I can’t see Newcastle reaching 10th place in the league this time round – I suspect 14th will be as high as we’ll manage.

🙁

• NUFCmagpie

Apr 7, 2019 at 6:47 PM

I only see getting 7 points from those last set of matches but I hope the lads can prove me wrong