web analytics

Intriguing Report – Rafa Benitez Planning Major Changes This Summer

TEAMtalk are reporting in an exclusive today that Rafa Benitez is going to make some big changes in the summer and he’s planning a triple swoop with West Brom.

We currently have both Dwight Gayle and Jacob Murphy on loan at the Championship club

The proposed deal is to allow the two loanees to make their moves permanent, but in exchange for three Baggies players – Salomon Rondon, Jake Livermore, and Kieron Gibbs.

There would be money paid from Newcastle we assume along with Gayle and Murphy.

The deal would only happen if West Brom fail to get promoted.

Currently, the Baggies are in 4th place on 70 points and 7 points behind second-placed Sheffield United and automatic promotion – and only six games to play.

West Brom would have to get promoted via the playoffs.

Jake Livermore in action against Newcastle last season

Newcastle must somehow get Salomon Rondon signed permanently this summer if Rafa is to sign an extended contract to stay at Newcastle.

One problem with the swap deal is the form of Jacob Murphy and while the Baggies are keen to sign Dwight Gayle – the same cannot be said for Jacob.

Gayle has scored 17 Championship goals for West Brom this season but Murphy hasn’t played that well while on loan.

In fact, he’s been a bit of flop since he was signed for around £12M almost two years ago from Norwich City.

Rafa has wanted a left back in to challenge Paul Dummett for some time now and the 29-year-old England International Gibbs would do that.

And 29-year-old Livermore can give us some central midfield expertise with perhaps three central midfield players – Hayden, Diame, and Shelvey –  all leaving the Magpies this summer.

So it sounds a decent deal for Newcastle but we’d be surprised if Murphy is included in any deal.

And if West Brom are promoted it’s a non-starter.

And all three West Brom players are 29-years-old and maybe that’s the answer Rafa is waiting for from owner Mike Ashley – whether Ashley is willing to sign these three older players?

The answer is likely to be no.

What do you think?

• cyprus

Apr 9, 2019 at 5:35 AM

Speaking of Yedlin, a few words to his defense:

The foul. It was stupid, but Zaha has suckered many a defender. Zaha is one of the best dribblers in the PL. It’s the type of thing Yedlin can be taught not to do.

Yedlin has improved, both going forward and in back. He has excellent control, can cross and shoot. He had an excellent bullet shot in the last game, inches out.

Last but not least, speed. THAT cannot be taught.

He reminds me of Walker. Many Spurs fans praised him for being fast, but criticized him for often being out of position and having ‘no brains’. Now he’s a starter in the best team in the world.

Yedlin is wor Walker 😉

• Nicky the ball tosser

Apr 9, 2019 at 7:12 AM

I think Manquillo’s interplay, movement, positioning, passing and defensive work is better than Yedlin’s, as is Schar’s. Yedlin certainly is a big threat on the counter with that great pace, although Manquillo isn’t bad going forward either. Manquillo seems the better footballer to me.

Five at the back works well really for us when Schar and Lejeune are switching play with those great pinged raking long cross field passes and getting the wing backs on the ball in the final 3rd. Without Lejeune I don’t think it will be near as effective, and think a back four of Schar, Lascelles, Fernandez and Dummett would probably work better in his absence. I agree we have been significantly better with a back 3 and wing backs, but without Lejeune I think it wouldn’t be near as good.

• RobLeenio

Apr 9, 2019 at 7:51 AM

Another refinancing offer from sports direct for Debenhams was rejected overnight. Looks like Mike Ashley is going to lose his investment.

Shame.

• martoon

Apr 9, 2019 at 7:53 AM

cyprus @81 – I’m as frustrated with Yedlin as everybody else but I agree I wouldn’t write him off yet. He needs to improve the defensive side of his game but he has created several goals with his speed and crosses which people quickly forget.
    I’d have loved to have been a fly on the wall when Rafa spoke to him after the game in the dressing room 😉

• Jib

Apr 9, 2019 at 8:22 AM

I don’t mean to sound sniffy but
    Rafa has always said players learn
    good habits in their formative years.

As a kid Yedlin played for several small
    teams around Seattle then joined the Sounders
    youths. He then played college footy in Akron Ohio
    a senior contract to the Sounders – Spurs (1game)
    then Sunlun (23 games)

Manquillo as a kid 3 years with Real Madrid 4 years
    with Atletico Madrid then Atletico seniors (6 games)
    Liverpool , Marseille , Sunlun – a season each on loan.

Manquillo is the better full-back and you can see why

• count

Apr 9, 2019 at 8:24 AM

Jesus Christ. If I was as contradictory in my interactions with people as these blog headlines are; I’d be locked up in a looney bin.

Milking every last drop of drama out of the tiniest snippets of information. Wildly veering from one tangent to the next. It’s all very effing cynical.

• Jail for Ashley

Apr 9, 2019 at 8:31 AM

Ian Wright played for lots of local minor league sides before joining Tenenbee then Crystal Palace at a ripe old age for a modern day footballer. Joselu spent most of his life at Real Madrid, you can tell which is the better striker.

• Jib

Apr 9, 2019 at 8:46 AM

Jail
    Could you only google Ian Wright ?
    The PL (indeed world footy) is full of
    STRIKERS who were late developers

Yedlin and Manquillo are DEFENDERS honey

• Jail for Ashley

Apr 9, 2019 at 8:47 AM

I would also add that it’s purely a matter of opinion which one is the better opinion and nothing at all to do with their footballing back ground.

• martoon

Apr 9, 2019 at 8:47 AM

RobLeenio @83 – I’m sure MA can afford it but its the small shareholders I feel sorry for. Many are probably Debenham employees with their savings in shares. I don’t understand these things but Ashley’s deal seemed the lesser of 2 evils for them!

• Jail for Ashley

Apr 9, 2019 at 8:49 AM

I didn’t Google it Jiblets, hence my use of Ian Wright, one of the few footballers books I’ve read. You said players not defenders Honey.

• Jib

Apr 9, 2019 at 8:49 AM

That’s an interesting point to mull over
    The examples of forwards who early on
    knocked doors out of windows and later flopped
    are legion.
    Defenders (if they have what it takes)
    just seem to get better and better.

• Jib

Apr 9, 2019 at 8:51 AM

Note to self:-
    Don’t say “players”
    Jail isn’t really sure of the field positions

• Jib

Apr 9, 2019 at 8:53 AM

Martoon
    Lots of Debenhams employees were offered
    company shares when they retired in lieu of
    a lumper.
    They have effectively screwed their own pensioners

• martoon

Apr 9, 2019 at 8:54 AM

Jib @85 – You sound sniffy – never let it be said 😉
    I don’t know if Manquillo is better than Yedlin maybe his defending is slightly better but we’ve seen him get murdered by tricky wingers a few times and he is just as bad with stupid, needless fouls!

• Jail for Ashley

Apr 9, 2019 at 8:57 AM

Mickey J couldn’t back track better than you Jiblets.

• Rotonda heights

Apr 9, 2019 at 9:05 AM

Cyprus

If there was a compilation video of all goals conceded this season, Yedlin probably features in over half.
    Constantly out of position, making daft challenges, scoring own goals and weighing in with a game changing red card. It’s no good just being quick, just look at Obertan.

• Jail for Ashley

Apr 9, 2019 at 9:05 AM

Regardless of their footballing pedigree or which is the better of the two, neither is good enough to be number one choice in a team with top eight aspirations.

• DubaiMicky

Apr 9, 2019 at 9:07 AM

I thought that the directors were meant to work for the shareholders, by rejecting £200m from ashLIE this morning, the directors seem to be hell bent on making the shareholdings worthless by selling the pre-package administration to the creditors thus making the shareholders shares worthless.

No I’m no city whizz kid but that sounds immoral and illegal to me, and for once I agree with ashLIE.

• Jail for Ashley

Apr 9, 2019 at 9:11 AM

DubaiMicky,
    It sounds pretty heartless what’s happening but maybe they didn’t like having those tanks parked on their lawns.

• Jib

Apr 9, 2019 at 9:21 AM

Rotonda heights
    I use the TV “ffs” test
    If I’m watching a game at home
    and I find myself constantly shouting
    “FFS !!!!!” at the screen at a certain player
    he needs changing.
    Yedlin is way out in front (as was Obertan)

• martoon

Apr 9, 2019 at 9:22 AM

Jail @98 – I agree we definitely need an upgrade for the Right Full/Wing Back position.

• RobLeenio

Apr 9, 2019 at 9:25 AM

martoon, yep, as always it’s the small shareholders that will be hurt the most.

I admit my post this morning was a little glib.

• bettyswallocks

Apr 9, 2019 at 9:39 AM

Sheikh Mealy will be absolutely seething with the Debenhams debacle as he usually manages to get his own way in these situations. The fact that he appears to have done his bollocks now on the money he has already invested will be doing his head right in as I’m sure this was all a premeditated plan to seize control.

This could all work in our favour as the money he had earmarked to revitalise Debenhams will now be superfluous to requirements and he will want to spend it to upgrade our squad in order to show Debenhams lawyers that he is in fact a winner.

• Tonyd3b54

Apr 9, 2019 at 2:46 PM

Cyprus, I think the term able wingbacks is a stretch. Both very limited, yedlin in D and final ball and ritchie may have a slightly better final ball and motor but he rarely gets in a position to deliver anything other than a high arching cross that is over hit more often than not