web analytics

Newcastle’s Financials Are Healthy – Potential Buyers Take Note

Newcastle United have released their financial accounts for the 2017/2018 fiscal year which goes from July 1st, 2017 through June 30, 2018.

Newcastle’s revenue was £178.5M – the highest ever – due in the main to getting around £123M from the Premier League for last season when we finished 10th.

In the Championship we earned only £85.7M in revenue – which is why clubs are desperate to make it to the Premier League.

The profit is a very decent at £19M and Ashley and company were cautious with the money during that time so Newcastle’s accounts will look good for any potential buyer.

But the team suffered for it, and we fought against relegation last season before pulling away and finishing in 10th place.

We will not finish as high this season.

Lee Charnley – Newcastle Managing Director

The club are saying we are now in a healthy financial position – again a message to would-be buyers.

The £93.6M wage bill is only the 14th highest in the Premier League and fell during the year.

But some players are not being used much by Rafa and are still earning high wages at Newcastle – and that should change this summer.

Managing Director Lee Charnley had this to say about the financial results:

“A 10th placed finish in our first season back in the Premier League was a fantastic achievement and I would like to thank everyone connected to the club – staff, players, and fans – for their collective efforts.”

“The significant increase in revenue, together with prudent financial management, resulted in the club showing a profit and that is reassuring, given the substantial loss in the previous year.”

“There is much more work to be done but these financial results give the club a strong platform on which to build.”

“We all want to see the club improve and be competitive at every level, and in every competition.”

“We are convinced that the best route to achieving this is to do so sustainably, spending on young development players and adding high quality to the first team squad each season.”

“Players that can really make the difference and improve the team – without risking the financial health and the stability of the club.”

“We strongly believe that consistently doing the above, and robustly following this policy, will give us the best chance of achieving our shared ambitions.”

We’ll take a deeper dive into the results tomorrow, but it’s clear that spending was restricted to make our financials look attractive to potential buyers.

How Will Newcastle Fare Against Southampton?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• ronaldo aarons

Apr 18, 2019 at 11:14 PM

Ny
    The correct part does me just fine 😉

Anyway, I’m hoping Kieran maguire the price of football guy or Swiss ramble do something on these accounts.

They’re always very good and can’t be accused of bias.

• Tsunki

Apr 18, 2019 at 11:25 PM

“we have found that scouting young prospects and achieving a roughly 25-30% hit rate in quality will realise enough yield to cover overall outlay and turn over a profit – while cementing a firm mid table residence – which will aggregate higher average income over the long term, rather than risking huge spends on experienced players and gambling on success in the prize money of cup competitions and league wins”. Thats what Lee is trying to get across.

• jane

Apr 18, 2019 at 11:33 PM

“Here is the club’s transfer policy in black and white: “We are convinced that the best route to (being competitive) is to do so sustainably, spending on young development players and adding high quality to the first team squad each season – players that can really make a difference and improve the team – without risking the financial health and stability of the club.”

• stan anderson

Apr 18, 2019 at 11:33 PM

Jane do you buy a S/T?

• Tsunki

Apr 18, 2019 at 11:36 PM

For an explanation of post #43 see post #42 😀

• jane

Apr 18, 2019 at 11:37 PM

• stan anderson

Apr 18, 2019 at 11:42 PM

Like myself.
    Have you got any plans for Saturday about half five ?

• jane

Apr 18, 2019 at 11:50 PM

i’ll watch on a stream

• stan anderson

Apr 18, 2019 at 11:52 PM

Thought we could watch the match together if your not to busy.
    I have a widescreen tv 50 inch.

• jane

Apr 18, 2019 at 11:54 PM

sorry you complain too much.

• NY Mag

Apr 18, 2019 at 11:56 PM

Ronaldo,

Just to give you some context (and this doesn’t mean I’m sticking up for Ashley, although I’m sure I’ll get pelters from toon22)

The two things you mentioned on the previous page

1. Commercial revenue being flat since Ashley took over
    2. High amount of profit earned over the last 8 years

Notice how he uses Ashley entire tenure to show that commercial revenue has not increased, but he only uses the last 8 years to show that we have made a lot of profit . If you swap those two things round you’ll get an entirely different answer (which I suspect he knows)

As the saying goes……….there lies, damn lies and statistics 😀

• stan anderson

Apr 18, 2019 at 11:57 PM

Sorry Jane i only complain if it is needed.

• toon22

Apr 18, 2019 at 11:59 PM

The same people defending MA as usual

😉

• toon22

Apr 19, 2019 at 12:00 AM

We’re so lucky he “saved “ us

Lmfao.

You really couldn’t make it up

• NY Mag

Apr 19, 2019 at 12:04 AM

Toon22,

You’re predictable – if nothing else 🙂

• toon22

Apr 19, 2019 at 12:06 AM

After what’s been reported today
    And the news on the accounts

Are we to believe he ever had any intention of selling ?

It really isn’t funny

• toon22

Apr 19, 2019 at 12:07 AM

They’ve started with the summer lies early this year

You can see it’s a total car crash of a club,an utter disaster in really slow motion

• toon22

Apr 19, 2019 at 12:11 AM

Eventually MAs lies and greed will suck what life left in the club

Fans will just stop caring

Some will actively try and make MA pay for what he’s done to our club

Hope he ends up in prison

• ronaldo aarons

Apr 19, 2019 at 12:14 AM

Ny mag
    I don’t say he’s not bias, he says it himself. This is his twitter bio
    ‘A partisan Ashley hater conducting flawed and biased analysis.’

I remember you explaining how the commercial income had to drop some things as they weren’t making a profit at the time, catering I think it was, so yeah that does a play a part I get that.

Oh and btw

Hiya KBA

😉

• GeordieTwo

Apr 19, 2019 at 12:15 AM

This just in from Chumpley: “actually, I couldn’t tell you which way was up while lying face up flat on the ground. I’m a complete pinhead. We’re just going to continue to bullsh*t our way through this every year. And we don’t care what you think of it. If Rafa leaves we’ll get some other plank to stand up for us. We’ll come as near as possible to being relegated or we’ll go down and that’s your lot in life Geordies.”

• NY Mag

Apr 19, 2019 at 12:16 AM

Toon22,

I have no idea whether he ever had any intention of selling – I was kinda hoping he would
    You however, used to think he was selling

• NY Mag

Apr 19, 2019 at 12:17 AM

Ronaldo,

Lol – you got me 🙂

• ronaldo aarons

Apr 19, 2019 at 12:24 AM

This part of the nufc accounts are ignored as it’s a first a premier league football club have incorporated into their accounts and daily activities.

Other Expenditures (£000)

Online PR Football Minions 64,136

• ronaldo aarons

Apr 19, 2019 at 12:25 AM

Ny
    I had you sussed long time ago, the place name gave you away.

• NY Mag

Apr 19, 2019 at 12:35 AM

If I change my location and therefore my name will I get classed as a multiple?

• NY Mag

Apr 19, 2019 at 12:43 AM

Ronaldo @ 63

Damn, I didn’t get any of that, it must have all gone to jib – that must be why he can afford all these Spanish jaunts 😀

• ronaldo aarons

Apr 19, 2019 at 12:44 AM

Lol just saw a comment from our very own Jail For Ashley on twitter. That’s a first time for me. If I had twitter I’d like, retweet and follow.

• ronaldo aarons

Apr 19, 2019 at 12:45 AM

Ny
    Any questions about multiples, please direct them to Jib. 😀
    I hear he’s the expert on the matter.

• NY Mag

Apr 19, 2019 at 12:47 AM

You gotta copy and paste it here……….(I don’t have a twitter account)

• toon22

Apr 19, 2019 at 12:47 AM

NY mag

As far as I can remember I’ve said he has no intention of selling the club

Hiya KBA

• ronaldo aarons

Apr 19, 2019 at 12:47 AM

Oh there’s a second jail comment on twitter. London busses and all that.

• toon22

Apr 19, 2019 at 12:48 AM

You think he will sell us this summer?

Again

LoL

• ronaldo aarons

Apr 19, 2019 at 12:49 AM

Here’s the first one I saw in reply to mark Douglas thread on charnley briefing.
    Jail for Ashley
    @AshleyJail
    4h
    Exactly, of course they want him to stay, they’d like nothing better than to have him on 6M a year to trundle from tenth to seventeenth year in year out while lining their pockets. It doesn’t work like that.

• toon22

Apr 19, 2019 at 12:51 AM

It’s the reason I keep banging on about the HMRC
    It’s our best chance of getting rid of him
    It seems dodger dealing follows him wherever he goes

Tick..Tock..Tick

• ronaldo aarons

Apr 19, 2019 at 12:52 AM

Ny
    I don’t have twitter either but I think it’s my most used website.

You can look through but you can’t interact which I prefer. Use it loads for news from various sources.

• toon22

Apr 19, 2019 at 12:52 AM

Dodgey

• ronaldo aarons

Apr 19, 2019 at 12:54 AM

What’s dodgy lol?

• ronaldo aarons

Apr 19, 2019 at 12:55 AM

If it’s the not wanting to interact, have you seen the amounted trolls and wums you get? Makes this place look like peaceful during a match on here when we’re losing.

• toon22

Apr 19, 2019 at 12:56 AM

Mike Ashley’s financial deals
    I was correcting a autocorrect

Imho there’s enough people on Twitter knocking him

• NY Mag

Apr 19, 2019 at 12:56 AM

Toon22,

It’s really sad that I have to do this…….but since you won’t be honest

toon22
    May 24, 2015 at 9:09 PM
    MA is selling up.

Its exactly what anyone would say if they wanted top money,saying he wants rid will drop the price.
    The accountants leaving tells you everything as they would have to be included in any dealings,yes they might not be able to talk about it but it wont stop them leaving when they know the games up and know the new owners will replace everyone once sold.