web analytics

Perez Shouldn’t Forget Why He’s Improved So Much

When Rafa Benitez arrived at Newcastle he knew all about Ayoze Perez – his compatriot – and was keen to make him into a better player – who could even represent Spain one day

Fast forward three years and we saw Ayoze Perez put in a masterful performance on Saturday against Southampton where he looked top class and was the difference between the sides.

His hat trick was enough to get Newcastle a 3-1 win and get to 41 points and now we are mathematically safe for this season.

He scored three goals and ran his socks off.

To get the second goal from a brilliant left-wing cross from Rondon – Perez ran from inside his own half at full speed to support the Venezuelan before smashing the ball home to put Newcastle 2-0 up.

That piece of video will be used in football training videos on how to play support your own players in a game.

Just a fantastic goal to watch.

Ayoze Perez scores his second goal – after running half the length of the pitch

Perez is talking about possibly leaving Newcastle in the summer after five years at the club – but he shouldn’t forget why he is where he is now.

In two words – Rafa Benitez.

It’s also hard work and ambition from the player himself.

The Spanish manager is making Ayoze into a much better player and even hounding the Spanish striker to be more consistent.

Perez was asked after the game Saturday in the Chronicle if he wanted Rafa to stay at the club:

“Well, yeah. Obviously, we all want him to stay, it means a lot for this club.”

“Every fan wants him to stay as well. So there are a lot of things to think about, but we will see.”

“Now it is time to finish the season on a high if we can, three games to go, and hopefully we can pick up some more points.”

“I don’t know (if a Spain call-up makes it easier for me to stay), it depends on many things. But I am not even worried about that.”

“Obviously, it is a dream to be in that Spanish team but it is not something I am worried about now, thinking about.”

“I just want to finish as best as I can. Score a few more goals if I can, and then we will see what happens.”

“This is what you have to do – keep pushing. It is not in your hands. You have to do what I have done against Southampton.”

“You have to score goals, do as well as you can, and then it’s in somebody else’s hands, in this case, Luis Enrique’s (the current Spanish National coach).

“But I have been thinking about the team, getting the points needed and obviously now it is more than enough to stay in the Premier League.”

“Now we need to have the ambition to keep looking forward, to keep looking up and finish in the best position possible.”

“I will get the match ball signed by my team-mates on the next training day. And I am going to keep it in a special place at home.”

A really special performance by Ayoze Perez on Saturday and it will be remembered for a long time.

And no wonder the Saints fans after the game demanded their manager sign Perez in the summer.

🙂

It’s the best we’ve seen Perez play but if both he and Rafa stay at Newcastle long-term, we expect Perez to get even better – and score a lot more goals.

What do you think?

• lesh

Apr 22, 2019 at 3:34 PM

Bobbybee

Just for you bonny lad…..

• Rotonda heights

Apr 22, 2019 at 3:54 PM

Doesn’t help when your owner knows zilch about football, but that’s further amplified when your chief exec doesn’t either.
    Oh for a David Dein type character or ironically a Peter Kenyon who do actually understand the game.

• Bobbybee

Apr 22, 2019 at 4:06 PM

No jail. You may have read it that way, but you can’t say that’s how I meant it. You read things how you want to read them, it’s that voice again. 🙂
    And if I said it eons ago, wtf has it got to do with now? Some time ago RAFA SAID they had a good relationship and I simply repeated it. Rafa said it. But that was ages ago, wtf is the matter with you? Talk about anally retentive, you can’t ever move on. Times change you know? The blog is about current situations, why do you spend most of your time trawling through ancient posts looking for things, people said a year ago? You know, you are right, I did say that, but only because Rafa said it ffs. Just because something doesn’t fit your twisted agenda, you ignore it at the time, because I was right he did say it, but now you talk about my latest post, them decide to add it was something I said about a year ago.
    Right now, I don’t know if it has changed. Have I said it in my last few posts? No. What I have said, if you bother to read it without listening to that other voice in your head, repeatedly, over and over, is that I don’t know. I said I think Rafa will stay, but repeatedly added that I might be wrong. That I have no inside info, that my belief is based entirely on the fact that I’m an optimist. How am I supposed to know you’re actually waffling about something I said ages ago? Something that, at the time, was absolutely correct. It came from the horses mouth.
    Right now, I don’t know if that relationship has remained or crumbled, but you can’t possibly say that because I said something eons ago, when it was fact, that I’m still saying that stands when I’ve said no such thing. That voice might be telling you I have, but read my post again – I said no such thing. You’re dragging that up to try and win a discussion you’ve lost.
    I could drag up anything you said years, ago, but I don’t because I’m actually sane.
    The blog is about the here and now mate. Try to stay in it. Wow, Munster is right. You can’t accept it when you’re wrong and it niggles you so much you lie to justify yourself.
    When I’m wrong I hold my hands up. I was, wrong about Arma. I honestly thought he would make it big, but he had to move on to get games. So what? You want to have a party to celebrate it? Knock yourself out. 🙂 I’ve said I believe Rafa will stay, but accept he might not. Ive been right every other time though – should I have a party too? I was right, you were wrong, na na na na na. Get a grip ffs. Stop trawling the blog to bring up things out of context to try and show, whatever it is your inner voice is telling you. You do it all the time and frankly, it’s pathetic. Just jog on If you can’t hold an adult conversation. I haven’t time nor inclination to argue with you or anybody else. I’m here to talk football, nothing else. You want to talk about the current situation, I’m your man, but keep it current ffs. Stop trying to score points all the time, that’s not what it’s about. Talk to me about football. Or don’t bother talking to me. My days or arguing are over. That’s it. I’m done. I’m saying nothing more in the matter, if you want to carry on, suit yourself but I ain’t listening and I won’t be replying. Wow. Just wow.

• Tsunki

Apr 22, 2019 at 4:12 PM

To be fair Benitez probably meant him and Ashley had a good relationship in so far as Ashley stayed out of the picture and concentrated on his binge drinking technique and the best methods for piling your plate in an all-you-can-eat buffet.

• Jail for Ashley

Apr 22, 2019 at 4:16 PM

Bobby,
    What voice in my head, what are you talking about. I’m not bothered if you were right or wrong, we all get stuff wrong, the point I was making is that you when you say something it’s right, like you keep saying Ashley wants Rafa to stay, you’ve no idea if he does or not, actually I’m sure he does want him to stay but in the same role as the previous three numpties had, but that’s not going to happen is it. What stuff have I made up about Munster, show me where I said he wanted Martin O Neill, I don’t need to make shite up, it’s all on here in black and white.
    You once accused me of taking the piss out of your disability when it was in fact Hail Wor Ashley, in which I had a go at him about, still not had an apology for that!!

• Tsunki

Apr 22, 2019 at 4:19 PM

Not being mischievous here and just a FACT! as I’ve sadly experienced it – I’d take any stoners assertion that he’s sane with a pinch of salt ha ha.

Seriously anyone who thinks inhaling smoke or oil vapour or anything but fresh air is “harmless is a nice delusion until your lungs tell you it ain’t necessarily so. And good old herbal remedy weed does mess with your brain, kids, and I mean not in a good way long-term. Those who I know were habitual users of the mouldy stuff changed their decision making capabilities and sense of responsibility for the worse and some suffered horrible depression. There are side effects to any drug, some more than others.

I suppose used medicinally you have to weigh up the cost/benefit though.

Anyway that was my public information slot used. Don’t do drugs, kids! 🙂 Except paracetamol of course. Oh and antibiotics. And…

• Tsunki

Apr 22, 2019 at 4:21 PM

Btw i don’t campaign either way about the stuff, I just don’t do it because I have observed it at work long term and don’t fancy the legacy at all.

• Online Guy

Apr 22, 2019 at 4:30 PM

Mr Mike Ashley …off on holiday at every crucial juncture leaving a mundane cohort scheming puppet to run the club who has a strict set of answers set in stone by Ashley for Rafa .

The key to this all is the wage structure ..if Ashley sets the bar low then that restricts Rafa and his ambitions .

Rafa is a proud man ..he could leave because of a lack of respect shown to him by Ashley.

We are definitely 17th position fodder season on season for Mr Money ..No change this end of season ? No Rafa next.

• Tsunki

Apr 22, 2019 at 4:35 PM

Though to be fair in Bobbys case I see a medical need to have him held down and force-fed magic cake 😀

• Jail for Ashley

Apr 22, 2019 at 4:36 PM

Aye Jib,
    A bit like the one KK had with him, “we’ve a good relationship because he never speaks to me”

• Jib

Apr 22, 2019 at 4:37 PM

Speaking to Guillem Balague, Benitez said:
    “My relationship with Mike Ashley isn?t as bad as people maybe think it is, because I am fighting for the best for my club. I?m not fighting for what?s best for Rafa Benitez.”

• Spencer

Apr 22, 2019 at 4:38 PM

Should the worst happen happen and Rafa does understandably leave us, what manager would we be happy with / could we realistically get?
    I genuinely could think of anyone, but I’d love us to be bold and not go for the obvious dross!

• Jail for Ashley

Apr 22, 2019 at 4:41 PM

Jib,
    They’ve hardly ever spoken.

• Jail for Ashley

Apr 22, 2019 at 4:42 PM

He said the same about Hicks and Gillette before they went their separate ways in an al.ost carbon copy statement.

• Jail for Ashley

Apr 22, 2019 at 4:46 PM

Spencer,
    I don’t care, honestly, treading water for the next gawd knows how long so the likes of Rio Ferdinand can call us a yo yo club. Four relegations in 115 years until he turned up. Yo yo club meh!!!

• Jib

Apr 22, 2019 at 4:47 PM

Let me think for a while
    who knows Rafa’s mind best

Jail for Ashley or Guillem Balague

mmmm hard one that

I’ll reserve judgement

• Bobbybee

Apr 22, 2019 at 4:53 PM

Tsunki, please, do me a favour. Alcohol is as dangerous as crack cocaine. It causes liver disease, heart disease and kills, many people, just through the anger issues it causes. Battered wives, battered husbands even. Prisons are full of people who have killed someone when they’ve been pissed and punched horses ffs. You never ever see stoners fighting. They don’t want to.
    Times have changed. A joint now is just an expression. You smoke it through vapourisers now to remove the nasties from it if there are any. There’s very little smoke involved.
    I like mine in cookies. Or use the oil in a coffee.
    From my involvement in the govt experiment I can tell you now that it is going to be allowed because the medicinal value I’m is huge. Those with the illnesses it can help will be allowed to apply to grow a maximum of four plants, with an agreement that the police can check up to ensure you’re sticking to the permitted four and not growing any more. It’s benefits are numerous. I’ve been able to reduce my opiate based painkillers from 210mg a day – enough to kill a horse really – to 20mg twice a day and I’ll soon be off them completely. You can’t just stop when you’ve been in them as long as I have, you have to do a reduction plan. In a fortnight I’ll be down to 10 and then off completely. Something I never thought possible with the pain I’m in.
    So yes, it can cause problems if abused, like any drug, especially alcohol. Jus because its legal, trust me, it ain’t good for anybody.
    So if you want to compare the two, just listen to people who come in here when drunk. Or go into any town centre at closing town and see people kicking crap out of each other. Visit a battered wives refuge and ask them about it. Need I carry on?
    Times and medical opinion has changed massively about cannabis. Something we knew decades ago.

• Spencer

Apr 22, 2019 at 4:54 PM

Jail
    All these managers are out of work… with a more adventurous owner would some of these top names really be beyond us if he’s leaves us for a lesser team, but with more ambition – which is where I think he’ll end up if he leaves us!
    We are Newcastle United – it’s sad when our only hope is regime change – surely there is more that can be done??!

• Tsunki

Apr 22, 2019 at 4:56 PM

Spencer it’s not a question of being happy with the replacement. It’s a question of being unhappy with the reasons we have to get one.

• Tsunki

Apr 22, 2019 at 5:01 PM

Bobby do me a return favour. Don’t lecture me in alcohol I know all about that as well. And if you read my post i mentioned cost / benefit, go look it up. Im happy if it works for you but despite all the science, government research, tests, polls, divining, teabag searching I reckon if you put all that to one side and rationalise that if you breathe stuff that your lungs weren’t made to breathe, or ingest chemicals that fiddle with your brain processes, then chances are pretty high they aren’t going to have a temporary effect, like bog-leg for example. Canvas all you want, I’m saying as I’ve seen.

• Spencer

Apr 22, 2019 at 5:01 PM

Tsunki
    Couldn’t agree more. Rafa was / is a once in an ‘Ashley’ lifetime opportunity to get it right (for all the love in the world Keegan probably wasn’t the manager he once was during his second spell) we won’t get another top class manager under this profiteering low life… but it’s nice to daydream that one of these guys would be happy to come to us under the right owner:

• Spencer

Apr 22, 2019 at 5:05 PM

Arsène Wenger Always seemed happiest when not spending and improving what he had – one last hoorah… I’d be keen!

• Bobbybee

Apr 22, 2019 at 5:06 PM

No jib, just because it’s there in black and white, we know who knows best. 🙂 Rafa hasn’t a clue about his relationship with Ashley, he needs to phone jail to ask his little voice about it!! 🙂 So, I was right. He’s always maintained that, but hey, how dare he. It must be a misprint mate. What does he know.
    Anyway, mackems drew whilst Pompey won and Barnsley won. Happy days

• toon22

Apr 22, 2019 at 5:08 PM

Getting rid of a manager due to him being ambitious would be a world first in football

• Tsunki

Apr 22, 2019 at 5:12 PM

The thing is, Ashley won’t be seen in the business world being dictated to by anyone, as he knows once he does, he will lose tremendous real estate on that fat Face.

When you think about it from his point of view, which would make more financial sense? Spending over a £100m on improved training facilities and the transfer budget of an autonomous manager, OR simply letting said manager go (cost £0) and weathering a PR storm that might cost him £10-20m in gate receipts and merchandise before the anger subsides and the nugget yes man he’s got in strings a few wins together and draws the faithful back to the ground?

• Jail for Ashley

Apr 22, 2019 at 5:13 PM

Spencer,
    With different owners of course a top manager is not out of the question, we are an attractive option, all managers worth their salt will see the struggle Rafa has had, don’t prefer to be within a couple of hours of the Wirral and will not touch us with a barge pole.

• Tsunki

Apr 22, 2019 at 5:14 PM

Toon22 Ashley is a man of firsts. It’s got him where he is today.

• Spencer

Apr 22, 2019 at 5:17 PM

Toon22
    We wouldn’t be getting rid, or even wanting rid of him (the fans anyway), but the fat controller simply isn’t ambitious enough for us / Rafa

Anyhoo… how’s Jack doing for you? Got you an undeserved point today I see

• Bobbybee

Apr 22, 2019 at 5:28 PM

Tsunki, I also said it can cause problems if abused. Any drug can mate. Even paracetamol. As can pennicilin if you’re allergic to it – it kills more people each year than ecstasy.
    Everything in life has its drawbacks matey. We each find a recreational drug that suits us best. I don’t drink because it makes me nasty. I used to fight for fun living him Richmond, with the squaddies from Catterick. It’s the local pastime because there’s nothing else to do. Get drunk, fight with squaddies. Generation after generation have done it. I moved 35 years ago but I bet it still happens.
    I believe if alcohol makes you nasty, you need to stop drinking it. If only everybody was as sensible as me eh? 🙂 And you’re right, inhaling smoke has to be detrimental, that’s why they invented vaporisers. Nothing in life is free, everything has a price. You weigh up the pros and cons and make your choice. But it is your choice and nobody should judge you. What I do with my body is frankly nothing to do with anybody else. I don’t judge anybody either. Live and let live is my motto mate. You do what you want, I do what I want. We’re all grown ups after all. I’m big enough to admit I can’t handle booze, makes me a horrible person, so I don’t drink. I look around and see hundreds of other people who can’t handle it, but still carry on. I don’t judge them, I let them face the consequences of their actions. Nowt to do with me. None of my business. That works both ways though. Agreed?

• toon22

Apr 22, 2019 at 6:01 PM

As far as MAs reputation in business I doubt it could get any worse
    He lunges from one crisis to another with constant investigation into poor practices
    HOF seems to have been bought for its cheap stock without any plan to make a profit from better business practices