web analytics

Players Becoming Concerned Rafa May Leave – Ashley Still Missing In Action

Jamaal Lascelles and our players obviously want Rafa to stay at Newcastle past June.

But that’s all up to Mike Ashley who isn’t even in the country at the moment, and he’s taking an Easter break.

He also hasn’t been at St. James’ Park for months so on the outside it doesn’t seem that he cares too much about the club he owns.

That’s even when he tells people he wants to sell the club – but cannot get the price he wants.

He’s been saying that for many years now.

Rafa Benitez and Jamaal Lascelles

But it’s a bit of a worry the players are becoming concerned the manager could walk away.

Let’s hope they keep their concentration over the last three games so we can finish as high up the league table as possible.

This is what Jamaal has said in the Chronicle today when asked if players wanted Rafa to stay:

“It’s a bit of a silly question – yes, of course.”

“Since he’s been here, we’ve been doing really well. Even in the season we got relegated, he came in and we started winning games.”

“In the Championship season we came first, 10th last year, and now we are finishing strongly this year.

“Of course, as players, we want him here but we are not in control of whatever is going on. But hopefully he gets tied down.”

“Yes, of course it does worry us as players that he might leave – there aren’t many managers like him.”

“Of course, as players, we want him here and Newcastle should do everything they can to keep him.”

“As players, when you get a manager in for the first couple of days and the first week, you want to impress him so much,”

“But, with Rafa, that has stayed for the whole time he has been here.”

“Even with me; I know him very well now, we’ve been working together for a long time.”

“But I still want to impress him every single session, every single day. I just want to keep impressing him.”

“I guess when he’s got all that respect off all the players, it brings a hard-working team and a hard-working team which is tough to beat.”

The spirit, passion, and honesty of the team is also what fans love to see – the lads play for the shirt.

Burnley drew 2-2 at Chelsea last night, so Newcastle remain in 13th place with three games to play.

We are 2 points behind 11th placed West Ham, and 11th looks the highest place we can attain this season.

• Jib

Apr 23, 2019 at 9:16 AM

Jail for Ashley
    Jib,
    You told us he hadn’t rang Rafa because he was on holiday

I never said that

Munster , BobbyBee and many others are right
    – you frequently make stuff up.

as for looking silly – you could give lessons

• posada

Apr 23, 2019 at 9:16 AM

What Rafa wants, what Ashley wants, what we want and whats necessary should all be the same.
    We need to improve and go for 7th place next season. With a squad that can have a go in the cups.

That will cost all of the 80 million plus any proceeds from sales.

• posada

Apr 23, 2019 at 9:18 AM

If we go for 7th and say 55 points we will get it in a good year.
    In a bad season we might be 12th.

Set your sights on 10th-12th and in a good year you will get it.
    In a bad season you will get relegated.

• hibbit

Apr 23, 2019 at 9:18 AM

@1

the pot calling the kettle black 😉

• Charlie in the Gallowgate

Apr 23, 2019 at 9:18 AM

Interesting stat in the Guardian today
    Be in Champions League 4th position if it were average kilometres covered per game during the season
    Man Un-United would be relegated

Could be a interesting team Rafa puts out at Brighton if Schar, Hayden and Almiron are missing

• Jail for Ashley

Apr 23, 2019 at 9:22 AM

Jib,
    When I suggested that he should ring Rafa, you said that he got blew off by Debenhams on the 10th, and went on holiday on the 11th, you made it sound liike why should he ring Rafa when he is on holiday,

• posada

Apr 23, 2019 at 9:22 AM

Mike Ashley has this idea that we can’t compete with the top six.
    He’s probably right.
    But we can improve massively on where we are.
    Sadly, I think he is surrounded by folks like Charnley, Barnes and whoever.
    They don’t get football. They will be saying this is a great business model Mike, we can keep this going forever. 10th-12th year in year out.

You can’t. It won’t work.

• ronaldo aarons

Apr 23, 2019 at 9:22 AM

Swiss ramble have analysed the recent accounts. Good read.

• Jib

Apr 23, 2019 at 9:23 AM

Hibbit
    You know
    I hate sloppy thinkers

I posted
    Food for thought
    All the folk whining about Ashley being in the States
    are forgetting that when sales talk was hot , several
    of the links were from over the pond.

where do I mention Ashley phoning Rafa ?

I find it quite surprising cos most sparky I know are
    logical thinkers when it comes to problem solving.

Jail is clearly sitting in the middle of LPool Bay cos he’s a shite sparky

• Jail for Ashley

Apr 23, 2019 at 9:23 AM

Now you’re suggesting he might be on business, No need to teach you sillyness!!

• Jail for Ashley

Apr 23, 2019 at 9:26 AM

You didn’t mention Ashley phoning Rafa, I did, and you dismissed the idea of why should he, he’s on holiday, I don’t know how you can mock my job when you sell dodgy firesticks for a living and have had more jobs {apparently} than Bob O’Job.

• posada

Apr 23, 2019 at 9:27 AM

Jib and Jail giving it the usual.
    I said, you said, no I didn’t, yes you did, you said it first, you started it, you were worse than me, when did I say that, asked Munster he’ll know.

• Munster Mag

Apr 23, 2019 at 9:27 AM

Jib i think jails other style of half lie is to twist comments or select a part of them. Thus, when I try to explain to him that I want rafa here, long term, funded, before becoming a Director of football and choosing his own replacement, Jail claimed i wanted him retired, or shoved in the cupboard or something similar. Elements of Walter Mitty :).

• Munster Mag

Apr 23, 2019 at 9:29 AM

Apologies Posada, I’m at it again. Any football or tactical comments this morning? You are normally good for some good stuff on that front.

• Jail for Ashley

Apr 23, 2019 at 9:31 AM

Munster,
    If you said you wanted pearson when Rafa left I never seen that, the Pearson connection is not made up, it was around the time when you were posting comments like this:

Munster Mag

Mar 20, 2016 at 9:41 PM

Have to say, I’m not all that impressed with Rafa so far . Ok he has made subs when guys like Pardew and SMC froze, but wtf is he doin putting Sissoko on the left? He is worse than useless there. Also, we were poorly motivated going out and Sunderland looked far more focussed in the tunnel, and on the pitch. Not good enough. IF SMC had played Sissoko left wing, we would be asking for his head. He is also playing Wini too deep by far. Tactical genius my arse.

• Jail for Ashley

Apr 23, 2019 at 9:31 AM

No need to twist your words there Munster old chap!

• posada

Apr 23, 2019 at 9:37 AM

Tactics.
    I thought we made a mistake in the second half against Southampton.
    They were on the ropes and I thought they were ready to fold totally.
    We sat back into a shape and let them into the game. A sin – giving a bum an even break.
    Let them find a way to change it. Don’t to it for them.

Having said that their manager changed things a bit.
    Also, Rafa plays the percentages. We closed out a better team Leicester so why not Southampton.
    So, no real complaints. But that’s essentially how it played out.

• RobLeenio

Apr 23, 2019 at 9:38 AM

I’m becoming convinced that Rafa’s conditions for renewing his contract are less about the size of the transfer budget and more about how it is spent. I think he wants a slackening of the wage structure so he can tie his most important players to a new and improved contract and compete with the likes of West Ham and Everton on a level playing field when negotiating with new players.

I think he understands Ashley’s reluctance to load debt onto the club, even if he maybe wishes it were not so, but is frustrated that money which could have been given to the squad was instead spent on Ashley’s loan. I imagine he wants guarantees that this kind of spend will not be sanctioned in future without some kind of discussion.

The unwillingness to take on debt to cover cashflow shortages for short-term investment and Ashley’s desire to see his own loans repaid is a double-whammy of epic proportions which has hamstrung Rafa’s ambition to grow the club and have it compete in the top half of the League.

In short, Rafa wants guarantees that the club will do what they can to back his pursuit of his top targets with all money available. Essentially, when he says jump, he wants Charnley to do just that and to have the readies available to enable it to happen.

• jordijohnty

Apr 23, 2019 at 9:38 AM

Aim for 7th and you could finish 11th. Aim for 7th and you could finish 4th. We did 5th in a poor season. Average everton and spurs sides have finished top 4 in the past and leicester have won it

• posada

Apr 23, 2019 at 9:42 AM

Here’s a question.
    3/4/3. Is that what we play now. Or whatever you want to call it. 3 at the back.
    If Rafa stays do we keep that as our way of playing.
    Do we buy players that fit that and get the whole club playing that way.

Some players fit that system. Like Schar. He’s not a wing back. Not an out and out FB. Has not at times faired that well as 1 of 2 CBs. However, he comes into his own in a back three.

• RobLeenio

Apr 23, 2019 at 9:43 AM

Also, given Rafa’s ability to find a gem of a player for a relatively small fee (Schaer, Dubs, Ki, Fernandez), we should not expect the club to spend huge amounts on single players nor be upset if we don’t. Any arrivals should be greeted with enthusiasm and we should reserve judgement till after we have seen them play for a few games.

Schaer’s welcome was muted, to say the least, and he adapted relatively slowly to the pace of the Prem. Since probably November, however, he’s been one of our most consistent performers and has provided some of the most memorable moments from this campaign, in attack as well as defence.

I’ve learned my lesson from last Summer when I carped on about certain signings, I’ll be doing things differently this time round.

• Jib

Apr 23, 2019 at 9:46 AM

Jail you’ve just given a perfect example of how you
    embroider stuff
    old chap
    You use a comment from Munster from Rafa’S 3rd game in charge
    when we lost away to Norwich
    Everyone was still a bit unsure about Rafa – even Biffa on nufc.com called the
    performance brainless.

• posada

Apr 23, 2019 at 9:48 AM

Rob
    I do think a lot of our players feel they deserve an improved deal.
    Ritchie ? Hayden ?
    Hayden 2M a year ? Does he deserve more. Well we are into the summer now. Lets see if anyone tests us with a bid. If someone offers 15M you’d have to say yeah he is worth more and you’ll probably have to pay it to keep him.
    If they want to keep him that is.

• Geordie-john

Apr 23, 2019 at 9:59 AM

I think we are about to lose the Captain in NUFC’s ship, Rafa Benitez, Because of the way this idiot Ashley is treating him with his silence and ignorance. He keeps buggering off on holiday without any communication with Rafa. He won’t even meet the bloke one on one.
    The only way I can describe what is probably happening now in Rafa’s mind. He is starting to come to terms that he is leaving SJP at the end of June, So he is starting to pack his case putting everything in that he will need for his next club. So Ashley you need to act NOW as I believe once this so called case is packed Rafa will NOT unpack it. He will go.
    There will be a MASSIVE uproar once this happens when you could have prevented it.

RAFA = SUCCESS AND MORE MONEY = HAPPY GEORDIES !

• Munster Mag

Apr 23, 2019 at 10:18 AM

Jail i stand by the comments made at the time. Moreover, most fans like you were too busy fawning to critically analyse what you were seeing in front of you, or too worried about opprobrium from idiots like you to voice them. I’m not afraid to comment on what I see. ‘tactical genius my arse’ was a bit harsh of me, in fairness. But I stand by the comments in their context. It says it all about you that you have to rake up comments from years ago. You really are a bitter little chap. Why don’t u go off now and slag Bobby off for taking a bit of weed to help himself? Well and truly shown up.

• posada

Apr 23, 2019 at 10:22 AM

Rafa will not be massively troubled right now.
    if Ashley fails to back his project he will be very disappointed.
    Having said that you have to put that into some perspective.
    If he goes he will get another job on 6M a year somewhere else.

• DubaiMicky

Apr 23, 2019 at 10:28 AM

@RobLeenio #18, “I think he understands Ashley’s reluctance to load debt onto the club”.

However I think this is changing – from ashLIE’s side, I don’t think ashLIE will give a penny more, but if the club can utilise bank overdrafts against future Sky payments then he’ll not stop it. Hence the reason we got Almiron on the back of a Barclays short term loan/overdraft against the payment.

That’s simply managing cash flow, and paying the fee in one hit means we probably saved cash on the deal as opposed to paying more over a few years. Let’s face it a 3% charge on £20m is chickenfeed in the scheme of things – especially if we got a £4m discount for paying up-front.

Ah well, we’ll see – it’s the hope!!!!