web analytics

Rafa Benitez – Perfectionist In Chief – Made To Measure For Newcastle

As soon as Rafa arrived on Tyneside over three years ago, he quickly picked out Jamaal Lascelles as a player who had the skills and leadership to be the Newcastle captain.

That was even though at the time Jamaal was only 22 and had only played in the first team for a few games; he was not a regular.

Rafa appointed Jamaal captain in the summer of 2016, and there is a unique bond between captain and manager and Jamaal seems to think exactly like Rafa.

He knows what’s needed from him both on and off the field and the former Nottingham Forest player has been an excellent captain of the club.

Jamaal has opened up today on how much a perfectionist Rafa is, and we could see the manager go immediately over to Jamaal at the end of the game on Saturday and talk to his captain after the 3-1 win.

No – he wasn’t praising his captain but discussing how Jamaal could have done better with the goal we conceded.

🙂

Rafa Benitez and Jamaal Lascelles after the win over Southampton
Jamaal – you were quite good but let’s talk about their goal

But that’s Rafa for you – he’s so committed to perfection, and that’s why he has a fabulous record of improving players and why players are more than keen to play for him.

This is what Jamaal said when asked whether Rafa was praising him for the win after the game:

“He was talking about Southampton’s goal.”

“He’s a perfectionist. He will praise you when it’s due. But if it’s not 100% he will tell you. It’s learning.”

“That’s why I’ve come on leaps and bounds.”

“He is not going to praise you if you don’t keep a clean sheet.”

“He’s going to think about the chances they’ve had and what you could have done to stop it and I think that’s excellent from him.”

“I should have done better with that goal, it shouldn’t have even been a cross.”

“So I will be sat down in his office and he will be grilling me about that like we lost the game.”

“But that’s him for you, and as players – we all appreciate that.”

That’s one of the many things we love about Rafa – he’s a complete perfectionist.

If we win a game 7-1 he would have an inquest on how we conceded the goal.

This man is also perfect for Newcastle – we just hope Rafa will stay with us – he’s made to measure for the great Newcastle United Football club.

There – I’ve said it!

• Bobbybee

Apr 23, 2019 at 10:05 AM

That’s exactly why he he kept us up last season with the same squad that won the Championship. And I’m sure Munster now fully appreciates they guys ability. Not everybody is still stuck in March 2016 ffs 🙂 Anally retentive much! Let it go ffs.
    You want an apology from me, but you got one once and then steadfastly refused to give me one when you were shown to be way out of order. You only get one chance pal, you can’t admit you’re wrong. You never can. You drag up things from a decade ago to try and prove something nobody else gives a toss about – just to try and show how right you are. Never drag up the times you were wrong though. But then, nobody but you cares. It’s a blog. People get things wrong all the time. It doesn’t matter.
    People say we’ll lose this game, and we win. Or we’ll win and we lose. It doesn’t matter. Move on in life ffs man.
    You want an apology? I’m sorry OK. Sorry I ever decided to converse with you on any matter.
    I’ve avoided rowing on here for two solid years and you drag me into one. Now fcuk off and never ever try to converse with me again. I’ve bitten my tongue so many times, but you can’t help it. Insane. Now jog on. “I want an apology.” That was about four years ago, or more. And I was getting attacked from about ten sides, with some pretty snide comments from everybody. So do one with your apology crap. You never apologise. Go on, rake through ten years of posts to find one.
    Now I’ve got to go coz I just can’t be bothered with it. Munster post is THREE YEARS OLD! Jesus wept. You’ll need dynorod to clear that out ffs.
    Wow. Honestly, the mind boggles. You seriously need to see somebody mate. I’m gone. Just when I was feeling all football as well 🙂 It never stops. Have your say. I don’t care. Say what you want. And then when I come back, do not ever talk to me again OK dummy? I’ve tried so hard to be polite since I came back on. A reformed character. But you, you just keep on and on and on dragging up the past. Whining on. You hate it when somebody else gets compliments and not you. You’re sick pal. Get help . Later chaps, I can’t be doing this right now. Three years ffs. Mental case.

• Lindisfarne

Apr 23, 2019 at 10:16 AM

If Rafa had been the manager with the squad we had when we reached 5th, he would of definitely reached the CL and things would be a whole lot different now.

• RobLeenio

Apr 23, 2019 at 10:21 AM

Posada, I do believe that if you want something, you have to pay the market rate. I hate that footballers get so much money, but it is what it is. If we don’t pay our top players the market rate, other teams will.

The only player currently being paid top money is JonJo, who has not contributed enough this season to warrant it. I think he’ll be on his way this Summer.

I’m not sure exactly who should be given a new deal, but Perez is one for sure. Really the point is that if Rafa decides a player deserves a new deal or is at risk of being poached by another team, that player should be given a new deal asap. He is in charge of the playing staff, after all.

• ashleysmate

Apr 23, 2019 at 10:21 AM

The bitchiness on this blog has become really boring lately… I thought it was a place to express individual views on whatever sport.
    Its like a school playground sometimes… shame..

• Nostradamus the Geordie

Apr 23, 2019 at 10:25 AM

Everything is about if Rafa stays, I’m worried he may leave but the biggest thing that MA needs to get into that mooooooonnnnn sized head is, if he fcuks Rafa around and Rafa does leave and he thinks we’re ok, we can get another manager in.

Well MA, how many players may put in a transfer request?
    That’s another concern you Dip-shit, players love Rafa as much as the fans, players that now don’t want to play for the club, so what kind of debacle would the club be in then Mike?

• Munster Mag

Apr 23, 2019 at 10:26 AM

Spot on bobby, glad someone else sees through Jails spin and bull too. As you said a a year ago or so, people change opinions. Anyway, I never hated rafa, but am still of the opinion that any manager is open to critical analysis. I’m a big supporter of his now, and got good success out of using simplified methods of his coaching in training my own kids team. That said, if Ashley says goodbye to him, then that’s the way it is, and the support goes on, in my books anyway.

• Jail for Ashley

Apr 23, 2019 at 10:44 AM

Yes Munster, you’re a supporter now when it’s going well for him, you’re first to put the boot in when the chips are down.

• Ron Knee

Apr 23, 2019 at 10:47 AM

The Ashley Success Story:

Swiss Ramble@SwissRamble

#NUFC have only qualified once for Europe under Ashley, earning just €5m in 11 years. In contrast, they qualified in 10 of the 13 years before he became owner, including 3 times for the Champions League. As an example of what they could have won, #THFC got €128m in last 3 years.

• DubaiMicky

Apr 23, 2019 at 10:47 AM

I’m slow this morning:-

@RobLeenio #18, previous, “I think he understands Ashley’s reluctance to load debt onto the club”.

However I think this is changing – from ashLIE’s side, I don’t think ashLIE will give a penny more, but if the club can utilise bank overdrafts against future Sky payments then he’ll not stop it. Hence the reason we got Almiron on the back of a Barclays short term loan/overdraft against the payment.

That’s simply managing cash flow, and paying the fee in one hit means we probably saved cash on the deal as opposed to paying more over a few years. Let’s face it a 3% charge on £20m is chickenfeed in the scheme of things – especially if we got a £4m discount for paying up-front.

Ah well, we’ll see – it’s the hope!!!!

And BobbyBee, “Illegitimi non carborundum” marra.

• Jail for Ashley

Apr 23, 2019 at 10:50 AM

Bobbybee,
    You dragged yourself in to a ruck, you didn’t like my Ferrari analogy and went on a rant, you don’t like getting answered back, I can see why a few beers turns you in to a lunatic. I never had a go at you smoking weed at all, back in the day before working offshore a loved a spliff, now I’ve got Munster on my case about saying that, you lot jog on, I’ll stick to posting like I always have done. And I wont be reading any more of your rants anymore either. So there!!!

• Munster Mag

Apr 23, 2019 at 10:52 AM

That’s OK Dynorod.

• Ron Knee

Apr 23, 2019 at 10:55 AM

I can’t wait to give all my support to Tony Pulis!

• posada

Apr 23, 2019 at 10:57 AM

Rob
    Agree. You have to pay the going rate.
    Strangely with football if you pay someone too much you send their value down as fewer clubs can afford them. It calls for skilled negotiation and a shrewd operator. We have LC.
    Like Hayden. If we don’t give him a pay rise it’s as good as saying he’s for sale.
    If that makes sense.

• one fine day

Apr 23, 2019 at 11:01 AM

Ron knee
    Horrible thought ..
    If that did happen you could always break the news as follows
    R.I.P. NUFC

• bettyswallocks

Apr 23, 2019 at 11:03 AM

I don’t intend to get dragged into a he said she said scenario but the derogatory comments Munster made about Rafa ie, “Tactical genius my arse” etc. were completely over the top and disrespectful to a man who has earned respect over many years due to his numerous achievements and the professional and dignified way he has conducted himself.
    Everyone has a right to question someone ‘s methodology and viewpoint but the manner in which it is delivered speaks volumes about the person delivering said question.

• Jib

Apr 23, 2019 at 11:12 AM

bettyswallocks

quite right

There was a blogger on here who chased a Danish fan away by constantly posting risqué pics
    at him.

what a swine

now what was his handle again ? it’ll come to me eventually

• Lee Charnley Bunga Party

Apr 23, 2019 at 11:15 AM

Wonder who would be on Rafas wishlist of players to sign that have premiership experience and come with significant wage demands that are currently causing Charnley to get all hot and bothered about fees?

A smart transfer move would be to get Mata on a free transfer for a few seasons his experience, work ethic and quality on the ball would be invaluable to a squad full of young players someone who has won world cups and champions league and is actually a really nice guy off the pitch as well!!

Okay he might want a decent wage but getting rid of Colback and a few other fringe players would more than cover his wages and sign on fee with a fair bit of cash left over for other players!!

Mooy or Billing would also be a good transfer to replace Diame

If Shelvey is no longer wanted by Rafa then his transfer fee and wages could be used for Nandez for the under 25 midfielder that fits the club’s age parameters !

2 experienced players and 1 foreign league player totally transforming our midfield with Ki, Longstaff and Hayden all staying on hopefully!!!

• the ledge

Apr 23, 2019 at 11:15 AM

Comment #15 What a load of bull crap!

• Jail for Ashley

Apr 23, 2019 at 11:17 AM

LCBP,
    It is going to be an interesting close season, they surely can’t expect Rafa to get involved with recruitment if they’re not expecting him to stay, they must have a plan……

• Jib

Apr 23, 2019 at 11:17 AM

r.i.p.
    Billy McNeill
    I had the pleasure of meeting two
    of the Lisbon Lions in Mallorca in
    the ’80’s BM and Bobby Murdoch
    were staying in a hotel I worked in.

• RobLeenio

Apr 23, 2019 at 11:19 AM

Aye, Micky – bit of an odd one, that loan for Almiron. A sign of things to come or just an outlier? It certainly didn’t fit with Ashley’s previously exhibited behaviours.

Posada, it’s an interesting point you make, pay players too much and they essentially become liabilities – we’ve seen that with Saivet, Colback and others, but Real Madrid are going to find the same with Bale this Summer at the opposite end of the spectrum.

• DaveD1000

Apr 23, 2019 at 11:32 AM

Jib
    many fond memories of Caesar kicking John Greig upside down….

• Jib

Apr 23, 2019 at 11:38 AM

• Jib

Apr 23, 2019 at 11:40 AM

DaveD
    my fondest memory is the piper on the plinth
    at the Stadium of Light (the proper one)

• Jail for Ashley

Apr 23, 2019 at 11:43 AM

According to Nufc.com Almiron is out for a month meaning his season is over. What a shame I was looking forward to him running Lpool ragged.

• DaveD1000

Apr 23, 2019 at 11:43 AM

Mine was winning ticket for schoolboy stand and watching us beat them 5-1 or was it 4-1 long time ago

• Mindshaft

Apr 23, 2019 at 11:45 AM

Sadly Ashley probably sees competing for 7th against the likes of Everton, Watford etc for Europa league as wasted money when we can just battle the likes of Norwich , Sheffield Utd , Brighton etc for 17th

• Munster Mag

Apr 23, 2019 at 11:46 AM

Betty, stop being a fool. Ledge, well spotted. 15 says a lot.

• Jail for Ashley

Apr 23, 2019 at 11:50 AM

Mindshaft,
    Aye, that’s about the top and bottom of it. I’m not sure how everyone else feels but I’m hoping the next yes man isn’t going to be able to just scrape survival. Like Rafa’s first season back, there was a sense of excitement in staying up with good things to come the year after, it wasn’t to be. Just as it’s not going to be with a new manager in charge, he’s not selling while we’re in the PL, we’d honestly be better off slipping down for a few years until it starts costing him money.

• Jail for Ashley

Apr 23, 2019 at 11:52 AM

I bet there’s a few looking at the Soton manager thinking well if we get someone like him we could be ok, what’s he going to achieve, tenth and early cup exits, hang on s minute?

• Ron Knee

Apr 23, 2019 at 11:53 AM

ofd

Of course for expats like us what does “support” mean anyway?

• bettyswallocks

Apr 23, 2019 at 12:02 PM

Jib……… Typically you missed the point I was trying to make. Posting little humorous anecdotes and pictures of someone in a subtle endearing way has nothing to do with steaming in with downright insults. You thick twat.

• bettyswallocks

Apr 23, 2019 at 12:05 PM

Should have read pictures to someone not of.

• bettyswallocks

Apr 23, 2019 at 12:08 PM

Jib……. It seems like you are trying to gain the moral high ground here. I mean really? Some of your comments to folk on here have been nothing less than shameful, posted without a modicum of humour and bordering on the malicious.

• bettyswallocks

Apr 23, 2019 at 12:11 PM

Jib asked his missus if he was the only one she had slept with. She replied , “Yes. All the others were nines and tens”.

• Oldgit1

Apr 23, 2019 at 12:22 PM

@ bettyswallocks, it’s interesting when you are losing an argument you resort to dragging a posters family into it. Disgusting young man.

• Mister Tuff

Apr 23, 2019 at 12:22 PM

I just don’t know who is hallucinating on here now – I’ve suspected something was adrift for a while but never really attributed it to the practices of dopeheads/potheads/bushmen.

• Jail for Ashley

Apr 23, 2019 at 12:26 PM

Oldgit1,
    Something fishy going on here, when Jib was skitting my wife with a chavish Geordie accent you never came on to admonish him, I know, you never seen that post.

• Jail for Ashley

Apr 23, 2019 at 12:28 PM

Well it looks like all hell’s broke loose today, stroll on Brighton Saturday. I see the Fulham tickets are still on 70 points, they won’t go below 50 i think, glad I bit the bullet and paid the £60 quid to go in the ”nuetral” end.

• Jail for Ashley

Apr 23, 2019 at 12:31 PM

There’s going to be some demand for the Lpool game as well, got mine already 😀