web analytics

Can Newcastle Beat Brighton and Equal Last Season’s Points Total?

Newcastle not only have a chance to make it three wins on the trot on Saturday when we visit Chris Hughton’s Brighton, but a win will take us to 44 points and we can equal last season’s points total.

That’s with two games still to play – one at home to Liverpool and the final game away at Fulham two weeks on Sunday.

So the final games are against the second top team Liverpool followed by the second bottom and relegated Fulham.

Getting something out of the Liverpool game is possible, with the race for the Premier League title so close and Liverpool players could be a little jittery on Tyneside.

Chris Hughton and Rafa Benitez – managers respect each other

And Fulham have won their last two games and it will not be an easy game for us to close out the season with.

Next up are Brighton & Hove Albion, and we need to win that game.

How Will Newcastle Fare At Brighton?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• Mag52

Apr 25, 2019 at 9:17 AM

AO.

• Jail for Ashley

Apr 25, 2019 at 9:20 AM

Jail’s too good for Ashley!!!

• Mag52

Apr 25, 2019 at 9:20 AM

On the face of it this should be a low scoring game with Brighton having failed to score for the last seven matches and with us having lost the third member of our recently successful front three.
    I hope Muto gets a chance to see what he can do alongside Rondon and Perez up front.

• RobLeenio

Apr 25, 2019 at 9:22 AM

I think we’ll beat Brighton, but I won’t take a huge amount of pleasure in doing so.

Hoots is a friend of the fans, if not of the club, and I won’t enjoy it if we’re partly responsible for relegating them.

No predictions from me as to score, my ongoing ban is still in place.
    😀

• Jail for Ashley

Apr 25, 2019 at 9:23 AM

It would be nice to finish with three wins, that Saturday night game is going to be one of those atmospheres that lives with you forever.

• Jib

Apr 25, 2019 at 9:24 AM

After Ashley’s first Championship season
    1st on 102 points GD +55 12 away wins
    If anyone deserved a 6 year contract it was Hoots
    not the poodle Pardew.

• ronaldo aarons

Apr 25, 2019 at 9:24 AM

WWWLWWWWWWWWWWW

Man City previous 15 premier league games.

🙂

• RobLeenio

Apr 25, 2019 at 9:25 AM

As for Ashley’s obfuscation over the accounts – who knows why he does these things?

In a properly run club, I would imagine it would be for purposes of FFP. Many of the clauses around that legislation are based on wage increases. If a club can show a wage drop, it gives them greater flexibility to raise wages in future seasons.

However, that kind of ambitious long-term thinking has been generally lacking at NUFC for the last dozen years.

• Jail for Ashley

Apr 25, 2019 at 9:26 AM

Robleenio,
    Sentiment goes out the window, we need to go in to the Lpool game on a big high.

• barkel

Apr 25, 2019 at 9:26 AM

All 3 are winnable games. It’s a pity in a way, I’d like Hoots to keep Brighton up and I’d rather Liverpool won the league over City but I want us to win our last 3 games. Finishing with 50points after the start we had would be an incredible feat. Most years that would be enough for 8th/9th

• RobLeenio

Apr 25, 2019 at 9:26 AM

Ronaldo, I wonder what happened with that single loss? It must have been to one of the very best teams in the World!
    😉

• ronaldo aarons

Apr 25, 2019 at 9:27 AM

Brighton have to come out at us rather than what they usually do and sit back and counter. Think hughton remarked it as a game they have to get goals. Game was made for us with Almiron, real shame. Similarly, Liverpool would have been a good game with him and see what we could do.

• Jail for Ashley

Apr 25, 2019 at 9:28 AM

It was eight years Jib, you done well with the GD and points but should have spent an extra couple of minutes.on the contract duration, that’s a no from me!

• Jail for Ashley

Apr 25, 2019 at 9:30 AM

barkel,
    It will be sickening hearing a load of pissed up scouers singing we’re going to win the league. I hope we break their hearts

• ronaldo aarons

Apr 25, 2019 at 9:32 AM

Rob
    You know it. Unlike lambert, Neville,Rio, keys etc who like to criticise the manager as if he don’t know what he’s doing.

• Jib

Apr 25, 2019 at 9:32 AM

Mag52
    Hoots will be aware of our attacking weakness with Miggy sidelined
    They did a brilliant job of parking the bus vs Sperz
    A point would be brilliant for Brighton so expect more of the same
    A goalless draw looks a knocking bet

• Jail for Ashley

Apr 25, 2019 at 9:33 AM

ronaldo aarons,
    I didn’t know it was a toss up between Murphy and Lsmbert in the champo.

• Jib

Apr 25, 2019 at 9:37 AM

Jail you’d be screwed without other bloggers errors to highlight.
    You have absolutely nothing original to contribute.
    If your English was good enough we could appoint you grammar policeman

Unfortunately this ” Jib, you done well” is typical.

• RobLeenio

Apr 25, 2019 at 9:38 AM

Jail, I hear you – there are positives and negatives in any situation. I won’t take pleasure in beating them, but will appreciate the three points and the maintenance of the momentum we have built up recently.

Even looking beyond the Liverpool and Fulham matches, if we can go into the Summer on a high it will help us maintain confidence into the next season, show us in a favourable light to prospective signings and also give Rafa more reasons to stay with us.

I’m not saying I’d rather we didn’t win – far from it – just that I’d rather not be part of the reason for them being relegated. I’d far rather see Cardiff go down that Brighton.