web analytics

These Were Newcastle’s Best Three Players At Brighton

If we had beaten Brighton on Saturday Newcastle would have been 2 points behind the Hammers, who are in 11th place, but it’s now looking like the best we can do is 12th place for this season.

We are now 4 points behind West Ham in 11th place with two games to play although another 3 points will see us beat the 44 points we got last season.

It was the same names at the top of our Man of the Match poll with Isaac Hayden, Ayoze Perez and Fabian Schar leading the way.

Isaac Hayden – our Man of the Match on Saturday

Isaac Hayden has been a revelation for us, and he had a good game at the Amex Stadium, and it’s not beyond the realm of possibility that he will be at the Seagulls next season.

He has 28% of the vote followed by Ayoze Perez who lasted only 32 minutes until he had to go off with a badly bruised hip.

But he did score another goal for his 11th Premier League goal of this season.

We are hoping he’ll be available for Saturday night’s upcoming game at home to Liverpool.

And third in the voting is center back Fabian Schar who’s turning out to be our best signing from last summer

He had another excellent game for the team and s ab absolute bargain at only £3M from Deportivo.

We definitely missed a chance last Saturday to get all 3 points, but a win at home to Liverpool on Saturday will make up for that disappointment.

Who Was Newcastle's Best Player At Brighton?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• martoon

Apr 29, 2019 at 10:13 AM

I said this at the time but I was puzzled by Rafa substituting Perez with Kenedy – you would have thought Muto was the obvious like for like replacement. As well as Kenedy’s lack of form the chances are Muto will be here next season and Kenedy probably won’t be, so giving game time to Muto would seem to make sense?

• RobLeenio

Apr 29, 2019 at 10:15 AM

martoon, the only reason I can think of (and I’m not the first to post) is that he was giving Kenedy one last chance to prove himself.

Sadly, whatever malaise has affected him this season was evidently still affecting him.

I like the player, but he’s had plenty of chances this season and just not taken them.

• Lee Charnley Bunga Party

Apr 29, 2019 at 10:17 AM

The annoying thing is we were denied a stone wall penalty with Schar he should have hit the floor like Salah does!! Only way you get a penalty these days!!If we had went 2 nil up before half time it would have been game over!

Atsu frustrated the hell out of me he kept coming short for the ball when the opportunity to make a run forward was on! He was playing against a 37 year old right back!! Never tried to take him on or beat him once!

Perez, Almiron and Rondon will be a handful for more defences but under an Ashley model we wouldn’t be allowed to have similar quality in wages and price sitting on the bench?!

• RobLeenio

Apr 29, 2019 at 10:19 AM

If Rafa is still here next season, he has to move Heaven and Earth to make sure Hayden goes nowhere. His partnership with Longstaff in late Winter was phenomenal. They could potentially be the basis and fulcrum for our team next season and for many seasons to come.

He’s an excellent young player although it’s taken a couple of seasons for him to show his best form consistently. He’ll only get better and I’d rather he did that with us rather than with one of our rivals.

Can we make it happen? Definitely not without Rafa!

• Ron Knee

Apr 29, 2019 at 10:31 AM

Chris Waugh not a fan of Kenedy:

“The Magpies are only a few injuries away from being an extremely ordinary top-flight team; and one who could have been in as perilous a position as Brighton, had the uninterested and out-of-form Kenedy been the player they had been forced to rely on for flair in the final third.”

• Lee Charnley Bunga Party

Apr 29, 2019 at 10:31 AM

@Robleenio

Could actually be the first season where we could go with a spine that is 100% settled and hit the ground running

Dubravka
    3 CB’s Schar , Lascalles and Dummett
    2 MF Longstaff, Hayden
    3 Attackers Perez , Rondon and Almiron

Upgrade our wing backs and strength in depth in terms of attackers and we could really be in business !Imagine having quality of similar level on either flank to what Liverpool have? Arnold and Robertson didn’t exactly cost the earth either!

• bettyswallocks

Apr 29, 2019 at 10:33 AM

Reading between the lines of Rafa’s comments, it does appear that he is preparing to stay. He obviously has to go through the motions of being non commital whilst trying to wring every last drop of transfer funding from the dry sponge Ashley .

I think he has already accepted that there will never be big bucks available and has instructed his scouts to look for unexposed bargains. I’m sure he loves the club, fans and city and is ready to embrace the challenge of trying to achieve something with minimal funding and a disinterested unambitious owner.

• geordietom

Apr 29, 2019 at 10:36 AM

me my self did’nt get why he put kenedy on ( dont know whats gone wrong for him )…

if Rafa stays he needs to get Rondon signed up plus another centre forward …

try and get another Almiron type player with plenty pace …

hope Hayden does’nt leave turned out to be a decent player…

but we will have to wait and see what the Fat One does..

may’be just may’be theres talks going on in the back ground…

• Lee Charnley Bunga Party

Apr 29, 2019 at 10:40 AM

Kennedy almost looks like he has forgotten how to play football?!

Confidence , pace , work-rate, control everything has gone and seems to just want to take shots from crazy angles rather than keep possession !

Can see him tumbling down the divisions after this and ending up in somewhere like Greece seeing out his career at a lower level!

• RobLeenio

Apr 29, 2019 at 10:42 AM

LCBP, agreed. It’s hard to know where we could actually upgrade that team, although we’d have to fit Lejeune into the back three.

Given Pep said Longstaff and Hayden were responsible for his Man City team not being able to play when we beat them (and no team has taken a point off them since in the League) you’d have to think that pair are hard to upgrade. Crazy that neither one of them would have been on anybody’s team sheets at the start of the season.

We were heavily linked with Joe Bryan last Summer. Would anyone take him for the left sided wing-back with Fulham being relegated? I think he’d do well for us.

• DubaiMicky

Apr 29, 2019 at 10:42 AM

Next Newcastle United Manager Odds

Gennaro Gattuso 5/2
    David Moyes 15/2
    Eddie Howe 17/2
    Slaven Bilic 14/1
    Michael Laudrup 16/1

Currently no Warnock or Bruce….

• RobLeenio

Apr 29, 2019 at 10:46 AM

Just in case anybody is doubting Pep said that, it’s here in black and white.

“We could not deal with Newcastle’s holding midfielders.”

• martoon

Apr 29, 2019 at 10:49 AM

bettyswallocks @7 – I hope you’re right but no matter how much Rafa loves the fans and the club if an offer comes along from one of the big European clubs (as reported by Sunday papers) then surely he will be tempted?

• bettyswallocks

Apr 29, 2019 at 10:58 AM

Martoon…….. I am hoping that Rafa is up for the challenge of trying to achieve something under difficult constraints where there is little realistic expectation other than to stay in the league as opposed to to going somewhere where success is taken for granted.

• Jib

Apr 29, 2019 at 11:01 AM

martoon
    I’m not so sure
    The trouble with the massive clubs is
    they have some very picky fans who
    are very ready to find fault.

He managed Real Madrid they don’t
    come any bigger – only lost 3 games
    and a section of the fans were on his
    back – and he comes from Madrid ffs

• hibbit

Apr 29, 2019 at 11:02 AM

till the Rafa situation is sorted nothing can been done one way or the other,
    if Rafa does leave will the club already have his replacement working in the background.
    only a very short window and a lot to be done for a new manager to sort which will have to be done very quickly and under very difficult circumstances

• Lee Charnley Bunga Party

Apr 29, 2019 at 11:05 AM

@Robleenio

Yeah was kind of basing it on Lejuene not being fit for start of the season so went with the settled 3 that we have at the moment although Dummett is rapidly improving on the ball since he has started at CB his cross for Rondon was delightful at the weekend! He might not pick up as many muscle injuries as he used at full back because he isn’t running up and down the pitch as much!

We were linked with Bryan for ages and he only cost Fulham 6 million !? We played against him in the championship so Rafa would have known about him, hes homegrown and quality seemed a bit of a no brainer?Maybe was one of those were the “board” didn’t see value for money…..

• toonbrother

Apr 29, 2019 at 11:08 AM

Proud to say I was one of the few people (if not the only person) that stood up for Perez and Hayden when everyone else on this blog was bashing them.

Well done me!

If hayden does leave this summer I would like to see us do a part exchange with Fulham for one of their players.

Either Cairney or Seri .
    Those guys would be excellent additions to our team.

• dig-n-dig22

Apr 29, 2019 at 11:12 AM

DubaiMicky 105 earlier thread Leeds v Villa

The game was a great contest, but I think there needs to be a clear ruling on when a player is left on the deck after a tackle, all too often now the player who looses out in the tackle just stay’s down hoping the ball will be knocked into touch to stop the other team attacking , tbf I thought the Leeds player won the ball fairly and looking at the replay I thought the Villa player didn’t come out of the tackle too badly ,I think it’s time for the decision to lick the ball out needs to be taken out of the hands of the players. ps I think Tyrone Mings looks a beast for Villa , would love to see him here but most likely destined for a top 6 Prem club

• dig-n-dig22

Apr 29, 2019 at 11:14 AM

Kick not lick

• RobLeenio

Apr 29, 2019 at 11:16 AM

Well done toonbrother for consistently supporting Hayden and Perez.

While also consistently predicting that your team would lose 3-0 no matter the opposition.

I’m sure they’re very grateful for your support!

• Jib

Jan 2, 2019 at 9:09 PM
    Schar is a defensive liability
    Absolutely shocking sometimes

I’m loving this

• Nostradamus the Geordie

Apr 29, 2019 at 12:08 PM

I saw the Villa Leeds controversy and just to make it clear, ten minutes earlier Aston Villa kicked the ball out for a similar things when a Leeds player was on the deck, thats why they were pissed at Leeds.

Yes, you don’t have to kick the ball into touch but as they done it just ten minutes earlier you would had thought Leeds would have obliged.

Wonder what the owner of Leeds this morning is thinking about the managers decision.

• DubaiMicky

Apr 29, 2019 at 12:11 PM

dig-n-dig22, it’s an interesting one, basically the players are taking a decision out of the ref’s hands, or, maybe a kinder way of putting it would be it’s sportsmanship that when one of your opponents is down you kick out of play. However that will only make more players dive and will be counterproductive.

I was told you always play to the ref’s whistle.

• Lovem or Hatem

Wingers
    *Ritsu Doan (Groningen) – £8-10mil
    *Jarrod Bowen (Hull) – £15-20mil
    Strikers
    *Andrea Petagna (SPAL) – £15-17mil
    *Salomon Rondon – £16.5mil

Total: £108.5mil (based on max price for players with *)

Possible sales:
    Rob Elliott – £0-1mil
    Karl Darlow – £2mil
    Achraf Lazaar – £1mil
    Rolando Aarons – £1-2mil
    Jonjo Shelvey – £15-20mil
    Issac Hayden – £10-15mil
    Joselu – £2mil
    Jack Colback – £0-1mil
    Dwight Gayle – £10-15mil
    Henri Saivet – £1mil
    Christian Atsu – £7mil

Total: £67mil (based on max price for player)
    Net spend of £41.5

Apologies in advance as I will be reposting this a few times

• Optimistic Panda

Apr 29, 2019 at 12:16 PM

Toonbotherer

If you’re giving your seal of approval to players I hope they’re sold asap, you know nothing, you dont even know what you’ve posted previously.

• ronaldo aarons

Apr 29, 2019 at 12:17 PM

Lovem or hatem has lost the plot, or found bobby bee’s stash. Not because of the big spend but the fact he thinks he can sell me for 1-2m. Crazy.

• ronaldo aarons

Apr 29, 2019 at 12:19 PM

To be fair, I don’t recall toonbrother constantly predicting us to lose 3-0, that’s Ilovetoon’s thing.

• ronaldo aarons

Apr 29, 2019 at 12:20 PM

I caught that Leeds thing. Thought the manager did the correct thing and should be applauded for it considering villa did that for Leeds a few mins earlier. Plus, it looked like the Leeds player was going to kick the ball out then quickly sprung the attack lol.

However, I then saw terry on the villa bench and thought, Leeds should have continued as normal at 1-0.

• Lee Charnley Bunga Party

Apr 29, 2019 at 12:30 PM

@Lovem or Hatem

Like that list I think Billing would be a really good replacement for Diame always impressed me when I have seen him play as has Mooy ! Its the rest of their team that lets Huddersfield down!

It always seems with Charnley is that we always need to have outgoings sorted before we actually start getting the finger out and purchasing players and this is going to be the 3rd or 4th year running where we seem to have loads of deadwood to get rid of!

I wish Rafa could point this out to Ashley about the amount of money wasted on players that have done nothing over the last 10 years when if you had shelled out the going rate for first choices (Aubemyang, Bony , Lacazette , Remy , Matuidi , Varane some examples that were all suggested to the “board”) the team would progress and also the profits made from them would have been immense!

Rafa has pretty much proven when he has got his top choices in his jobs that 70% of them have been successes and I just wish he was given the tools here just to see how far we could actually go as a club!

• toonbrother

Apr 29, 2019 at 12:32 PM

Hmm RobLeenio Claims i consistently predicted We’d lose 3-0

If you can provide one such example I’ll sign off the blog permanently
    If you cannot provide a single example can we agree you should sign off
    What a pathological liar
    There’s nothing more evil in my opinion than casual dishonesty

• martoon

Apr 29, 2019 at 12:38 PM

I know Sterling has had a great season but I find it ridiculous at the age of 24 he has won the PFA young player of the year! Apparently he qualifies because he was 23 at the beginning of the season but surely it should be 21 or Under and maybe even your first full season in the Premiership for the likes of Trent-Arnold or Wan-Bissaka?

• RobLeenio

Apr 29, 2019 at 12:39 PM

Hmm, Ronaldo points out I’m mixing up toonbrother with ilovetoon8788.

I’ll have to apologise, in that case – sorry fella, though I do find it ironic that you want to be congratulated on how you big-up your favourite players while constantly knocking those you like less (Ritchie being the major one I’m thinking of here)

But no, I’ll not be leaving the blog – an error does not make me a ‘pathological liar’ in the least.

• Bambams

Apr 29, 2019 at 12:40 PM

DubaiMicky

Haha

Re manager odds I know who I will put my coin on !

🙂

• Jail for Ashley

Apr 29, 2019 at 12:40 PM

OP,
    I haven’t got much use for my left nut anymore, so I’ll give up mine as well to beat them on Saturday!

• martoon

Apr 29, 2019 at 12:41 PM

*Trent Alexander-Arnold

• Jib

Apr 29, 2019 at 12:42 PM

toonbrother
    You were confused with Ilovetoon8788
    an easy mistake – you both have very
    limited footy knowledge to back up your
    constant whining.

• Jail for Ashley

Apr 29, 2019 at 12:43 PM

toonbotherer is the one who welched his bet when saying we would lose every game that Collocini played in, it went from every game that season to just the away ones, then finally the first three. I paid £100 quid to the SBR foundation for him!

• Jib

Apr 29, 2019 at 12:45 PM

Whenever I hear Trent Alexander-Arnold
    I’m always put in mind of
    Terence Trent-D’arby