web analytics

Isaac Hayden Is Now Looking Our Best Player – But Still Leaving?

Isaac Hayden came into the Newcastle side in December and formed an excellent partnership with Sean Longstaff before Sean was injured. in the defeat at West Ham in early March.

But Isaac made it clear last summer that he needed to move south to be closer to his fiance Lauren and baby girl Adriana, and also be closer to her family in the south-west.

His daughter’s premature birth and everything leading up to it were very traumatic for Hayden, and his fiancée was extremely sick for the whole term of her pregnancy.

So that forced Isaac to ask for a transfer last summer and he is still set on leaving the club in the summer.

He seems to have set his heart on that, which is a great pity when he continues to star for Newcastle.

It looks like moving the family to Newcastle will not work out becasue they will be too away from her family – and his.

Isaac Hayden – in outstanding form for Newcastle since December

That’s a real family problem there for Isaac, who has come on in leaps and bounds this season.

Nevertheless, fans are keen to see him stay – here are some tweets from fans after Saturday’s game.

• stan anderson

Apr 30, 2019 at 10:37 AM

Just hope that the slug is in the U.S. Finalising the sale of our club,but i doubt it as Xmas was in December.
    Been so sad while he has bled the club dry and got his S.Direct Ads for virtually peanuts.
    I feel we are stuck with the horrible man till he drops down, brown bread.
    ASHLEY OOT please.

• RobLeenio

Apr 30, 2019 at 10:38 AM

Sean Longstaff:

“It’s going to be a tough summer – I’ll probably be in most of the summer – but I’m looking forward to it. It’s a new challenge, it’s going to allow me to get bigger and stronger, and hopefully ready for next year.”

Called it! – I said last week he was probably fit but would be given time to work on his physique.

😛

• RobLeenio

Apr 30, 2019 at 10:41 AM

I do wonder if Rafa stays that he may be able to persuade Hayden to stay also. Surely there’s something that can be worked out – after all, the RVI has a World class children’s hospital where his daughter would be very well looked after.

Such a waste if he leaves, I’d love to see him and Lobby carry on where they left off next season.

• Lovem or Hatem

Apr 30, 2019 at 10:44 AM

I too am hoping that Ashley has been in the USA for so long is to sort out a deal with someone(s) and NUFC will be sold.
    I was reading an article about the sale of Everton and it mentioned two American investors (John Jay Moores and Charles Noell). I wonder if they are still interested in buying a football club. NUFC may cost more to buy intially (due to Ashleys asking price) but we don’t need a new stadium. Also with Rafa, I don’t think it would cost that much to improve the squad.

• Jail for Ashley

Apr 30, 2019 at 10:49 AM

I’m over my dislike of Man U, in fact I’d rather they won the league than Lpool, but now that Ferdinand might become their sporting director I can again look forward to enjoy seeing them fall flat on their faces. I wonder how much more desperate OLG’s presses can get in his ridiculous accent. “I really like these boys. I love them”
    He’d known most of them less than three months 😮

• Chancel My MBembaship

Apr 30, 2019 at 10:58 AM

• Lee Charnley Bunga Party

Apr 30, 2019 at 11:04 AM

Big season for Longstaff now he will have to live with big expectation after this season but I feel he will take it in his stride and go from strength to strength!!!

Looks so calm and composed at all times and I feel that next season will see him get quite a few goals and have the top 6 and pundits losing their mind over him!!!

I thought this season Fernandez might have made the breakthrough obviously with injuries it hasn’t happened but he could still play a part next season

• Jail for Ashley

Apr 30, 2019 at 11:06 AM

Chancel,
    That’s the lads who travel with the Ashley from Shields, what an ironic name for a big Newcastle supporting pub.

• Jail for Ashley

Apr 30, 2019 at 11:09 AM

Tuchel “You can’t get in to a fight with a supporter, you just can’t do that”
    Is he on about John Carver, has he actually heard of the best manager in the PL?

• IrishRob

Apr 30, 2019 at 11:18 AM

Wow gives you an idea what goes on in Andy Grays head to even think Rafa wouldn’t want Liverpool to win the title just becsuse he couldn’t do it when he was at Liverpool. https://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/775544/Rafa-Benitez-Liverpool-Newcastle-Premier-League-Andy-Gray-rumours-gossip/amp

They guy is rotten to the core!

• geordietom

Apr 30, 2019 at 11:51 AM

have a look …

Watch as Brighton’s ‘Rafa Benitez’ commits his future to Newcastle United Shields Gazette10:21…

sorry i cant get it to work on here …

• geordietom

Apr 30, 2019 at 11:52 AM

chancel…

bugger you beat me to to it mate …

• IrishRob

Apr 30, 2019 at 12:02 PM

The thing I’m most concerned about isn’t takeovers or Rafa leaving, it’s keeping Hayden. He’s good on his own but magical with Longstaff. I really believe we have stumbled on a special pairing.

I’d be gutted if they are not playing together next season. Look how good we were with both of them, we’re not half the team unless both are playing.

It’s kinda crazy how good they are when they are playing TOGETHER, just look at the teams and players they have made look average playing against.

Maybe I’m over exaggerating but I feel we have something very special when they play together. Far better than the sum of the parts.

• Lovem or Hatem

Apr 30, 2019 at 12:14 PM

@ Irish Rob

I would love to keep Hayden too. But if he does leave, who would you replace him with – my choice is Philip Billing

• Optimistic Panda

Apr 30, 2019 at 12:22 PM

Jib

That wasnt sarcasm it wa pointing out one of the many flaws in your 3 sided argument

Things are happening in the background, no need to rush, blah blah.. so which is it?

Its happening in secret or it’s not?

Ibiza sits on the fence, you play both sides and act all coy when its pointed out.

I suppose if you say enough different things you’ll eventually get close to something that’s true or a fact.

• martoon

Apr 30, 2019 at 12:23 PM

Just reading this

Nowhere does it mention that Shelvey was injured for the majority of the time!

• Lindisfarne

Apr 30, 2019 at 12:38 PM

Amusing to remember one of Hayden first appearances this season resulted in a red card. He has certainly turned it around but will need another club to be prepared to pay top whack.

• RobLeenio

Apr 30, 2019 at 12:45 PM

Lindisfarne, it’s interesting how different players react to adversity, isn’t it?

Kenedy misses a penalty, it affects his confidence for a full season.

Shelvey is injured, then loses his place in the team, sulks a bit.

Hayden gets a daft red, loses his place for weeks, comes back and takes his chance and never looks back.

• martoon

Apr 30, 2019 at 12:47 PM

Jib to continue our discussion from earlier – sorry I had to go and do some work! I know you like to play devil’s advocate but in this case I think you are trying to defend the indefensible! It is sheer incompetence that the club have let Rafa’s contract run down to 2 months left – in all the examples you posted earlier (with possible exception of Chris Hughton) the managers were about half way through their contract not at the very end.

• Lee Charnley Bunga Party

Apr 30, 2019 at 12:56 PM

Hayden hasn’t always got the credit he has deserved but he has really progressed this season!

He was excellent in the championship him and Diame battling and taking care of the physical stuff gave Shelvey a platform to strut his stuff!

When Merino was playing well lots of his good games were actually playing with Hayden !

Wonder if Longstaff and Hayden were on the same team in training a bit at the start of the season? Seeing as neither were in the first team plans could have seen them play together a bit more behind the scenes so when they both got a chance already knew each others game? They seemed to dovetail perfectly!

Also Hayden , Longstaff , Perez and Lascalles who says Rafa can’t develop young players? Hes had that accusation levelled at him a few times even Manquillo is looking quite assured recently when he has come in!

• Jib

Apr 30, 2019 at 12:59 PM

martoon
    fairish point
    but
    remember when we were all shitting our pants at
    Rafa’s relegation clause.

It took him until the end of May to put us out of our misery

• martoon

Apr 30, 2019 at 1:13 PM

Jib @22 – Also a fairish point – so you’re confident come the end of May that Rafa will be here with a new contract?

• Essex Geordie Bill

Apr 30, 2019 at 1:16 PM

Rob, I disagree re. Shelvey, why do you think he’s sulking, can’t see any evidence for that.

He’s certainly frustrated, that’s pretty obvious and the reason he asked to play for the U23s after his injury and enforced absence.

That frustration is almost certainly reinforced by the success of Longstaff and Hayden during his injury break, pretty sure he’s said that himself.

I also can’t see why so many seem to be desperate to see him gone, to my knowledge neither he or Rafa have voiced any desire to leave or see him leave.

Pretty sure he’ll still be here next season fighting to prove he’s worth his place in the team, whether Rafa is here or not.

• Jib

Apr 30, 2019 at 1:17 PM

The last game against Sperz was Sunday 15th May
    The news about him staying was 9 days later
    working on that we should know summatt about his
    plans Tuesday the 14th May this year

• Essex Geordie Bill

Apr 30, 2019 at 1:26 PM

As for Kenedy, I doubt that that penalty miss made much difference to his confidence, think it’s been shot for some time and that was an attempt to regain some.

He’s not the player we all hoped he was, he might improve elsewhere and I hope he does but doubt if it’s going to happen with us. There several of the U23s who’d have benefited from taking his place on the bench and getting some game time.

• RobLeenio

Apr 30, 2019 at 1:30 PM

LCBP, Longstaff was playing in the reserves and training with them until Christmas time at least. It’s a nice theory, but I think their partnership is based more on instinct and them both being good footballers than on hard work.

In theory, that suggests their partnership can only improve if they get the chance to work on it.

Bill, fair point about Shelvey, no evidence to suggest he’s been sulking, I’m probably guilty of tarring him with a brush that has been used before.

• Lee Charnley Bunga Party

Apr 30, 2019 at 1:32 PM

@Robleenio

A midfield 3 of Longstaff , Hayden and Shelvey could be excellent as well! Would like to see that at some point in the future !

• RobLeenio

Apr 30, 2019 at 1:38 PM

The other interesting thing about Longstaff and Hayden was that Lobby played almost as the holding player, allowing Hayden to get forward more. Obviously they switched from time to time, but in general Hayden was more advanced.

This is the opposite to how he plays with his brother in the U23s. Matty Longstaff tends to play deeper and allows Sean to get forward more often, which is also the role Sean played at Kilmarnock and Blackpool.

The only reason I mention this is because I expect Sean to get amongst the goals next season. It’s been a long time since we had a genuine goal-scoring midfielder (Nolan?) and Longstaff will be that guy, I hope.

He scored one vs Burnley, won a penalty vs Man City to give us the win and had numerous shots blocked and / or saved. Next season we’ll see a few rockets from the lad.

• Jib

Apr 30, 2019 at 1:43 PM

I’m all for Lobby getting among the goals
    but please –
    No chicken dance
    AAAAAAAAARRRRRGGGGHHH !!!!!!

• NY Mag

Apr 30, 2019 at 1:45 PM

Martoon,

Just to weigh in on rafa’s contract……

If you put the love for Rafa and the hate for the hierarchy aside and look at it from a neutral basis (I know, not easy).

There has been a contract on offer since last summer – that’s not incompetence, that’s the club wanting Rafa to sign-up on their terms.

Now Rafa, being the wily fox that he is…diplomatically shunned that and used terms like we have plenty of time to talk about it, we need to concentrate on the football, we need to make sure we are safe in the league etc..etc…

As soon as we were safe he then ramps it up by saying he wants to compete with wages, transfers and balance in the squad (regardless of players age).

For me, he’s just leveraging as much as he can to make sure he signs on his terms.

I still live in hope 🙂

• Essex Geordie Bill

Apr 30, 2019 at 1:51 PM

Rob

That daft red for Hayden, I’m pretty sure that there was a lot of people who thought it was a deliberate attempt by him to get sent off cos he wasn’t getting the transfer he wanted.

His subsequent play and actions would suggest otherwise and shows how easy it can be to jump to wrong conclusions.

• RobLeenio

Apr 30, 2019 at 1:55 PM

Aye, Bill, there was some proper hatred for the lad in some areas, especially on social media. Some less than complimentary things said on here, too, from some quarters.

People are quick to judge, quick to forget they judged, too.

Now then, Jib, that chicken dance, bad for sure – but not as bad as Crouch’s robot and nowhere near as terrible as that weird crotch thing from the West Ham player at the weekend.

Thinking about that again just made me a little bit sick in my mouth!

• hibbit

Apr 30, 2019 at 2:00 PM

NY Mag
    what good is an offer on the table if it’s totally unacceptable to Rafa , they have known for the last 2 season the upgrades he’s asked for at benton and so far there’s be very little progress on that front, he was never going to accept it

• Jib

Apr 30, 2019 at 2:08 PM

hibbit
    They wouldn’t know any offer was unacceptable until
    they made one.
    It’s called the starting point in negotiations.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Apr 30, 2019 at 2:08 PM

Not being an up to date in the know youngster but is that strange crotch dance what is referred as querking by today’s yoof?

• Essex Geordie Bill

Apr 30, 2019 at 2:09 PM

‘referred to’

• Essex Geordie Bill

Apr 30, 2019 at 2:12 PM

These interminable contract blog discussions just make me wa……… zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

• Munster Mag

Apr 30, 2019 at 2:14 PM

Hibbitt as I said to jail, rafa needs to negotiate as he won’t get all he wants sadly. So it may be a case of slowly improving the training ground but still getting good funds to get players in. Rafa has a history of fighting with club owners and I’m sure Ashley knows that and won’t give him all he wants. Hopefully they can find common ground. In our favour is that most English clubs at the top end don’t want him, and clubs like Leicester are thankfully now sorted. Seeing him leave the country, which he clearly doesn’t want to do, because of Ashley would be awful for uhs, but not ideal for his family either.