web analytics

Newcastle Must Keep Swiss Star this Summer

Fabian Schar arrived at Newcastle this summer from Deportiva La Coruna when his low release clause was activated. He has turned out to be a class signing for the Magpies as well as one the best bargains in recent memory for the club.

Fabian Schar– after one of his superb goals

The Swiss defender did not break into the Newcastle first team until November. And once he got his chance, boy did he take it. He displayed the ball playing ability from the back the team had missed in the early part of the season with the absence of Florian Lejeune.

He has also provided the Newcastle fans with some highlight reel goals. His tidy finish after a Ben Arfa-like jaunt through the Cardiff defense being a personal favorite. Though his thunderous strike against Burnley will probably be the majority of fans’ most memorable.

There have been rumblings in the press over the past few months that top clubs like Arsenal and Spurs are looking at him. Hopefully, this is just press talk as Fabian has been an indispensable asset this season. He is a leader on the pitch and provides the quality from the back that gives the team an extra dimension.

Fabian seems to love it at Newcastle and hopefully we will be able to watch him for many years to come.

• RobLeenio

May 8, 2019 at 8:54 AM

“The 2019/20 summer transfer window officially opens at midnight on Monday, July 1st, 2019”

This is the article I got my 1st July transfer window opening info from.

Someone has it wrong somewhere along the line. Not sure who that is, however – the FA / Premier League are strangely quiet on it, as far as I can see.

• RobLeenio

May 8, 2019 at 8:55 AM

Schaer is going nowhere, in my opinion.

• Ron Knee

May 8, 2019 at 8:57 AM

I wonder what Spurs supporters make of this Liverpool love-in.

• Ron Knee

May 8, 2019 at 9:02 AM

Chris Waugh@ChrisDHWaugh

“It’s a frustrated dressing room. If you ask every single player in that dressing room, everyone wants to see this club improve” – Hayden delivers another honest interview about the mood at #nufc

• geordiemark

May 8, 2019 at 9:04 AM

heres me hoping liverpool would get a pasting off barcelona, did barcelona show up ?? reckon not, could be all british final my bet was shot down in flames

• Jib

May 8, 2019 at 9:05 AM

geordiemark
    my bet was shot down in flames

GOOD

• geordiemark

May 8, 2019 at 9:05 AM

only way on keeping players is giving them a good contract to keep them simple as, mr ashley sometimes you have to pay the going rate

• geordiemark

May 8, 2019 at 9:06 AM

Jib

now now mr jib

i had an accumulator bet only cost 2 quid but would have won if all of them come in about 21 million give or take

• beermonkey

May 8, 2019 at 9:07 AM

rob

if the offer is good enough ashleys chopper will be fuelled and ready to take schar where he needs to be

• geordiemark

May 8, 2019 at 9:09 AM

beermonkey

aye that be about right and the same applies to perez as well as any other player he sees a massive profit on

• Just a fan

May 8, 2019 at 9:28 AM

21 million
    Hope you realise there is an upper limit on payouts
    Should have put twenty pence on and saved yourself 1 80

• Jib

May 8, 2019 at 9:29 AM

I wonder when Mike is going to take the chaps
    to the Sagebrush state ?

• magpie6699

May 8, 2019 at 9:29 AM

If the Mexican takeover goes ahead, can we sign Nacho Monreal, Speedy Gonzales and somebody from Chilli?

• Jib

May 8, 2019 at 9:39 AM

Andaré andaré

• Jib

May 8, 2019 at 9:41 AM

Ándale even
    ha ha

• cyprus

May 8, 2019 at 9:42 AM

I think this player will stay. On vlasic, exceptional talent, sign him up.

Although I really rate Perez and believe he’ll get even better, I think he’s ready for a move. Hope it’s not arsenal or Tottenham.

Newcastle factor last night, with Gini doing his magic.

Congratulations to Liverpool. Given our close game with them, I’m guessing we’d have thrashed Barcelona as well 😉

• hibbit

May 8, 2019 at 9:47 AM

cyprus

on that note could Rafa to Barcelona be on the cards ???????????

• RobLeenio

May 8, 2019 at 9:56 AM

cheers hibbit. It’s clear that someone has their facts wrong (not me or you, the journos who should know better.)

For what it’s worth, the BBC website is carrying the 16th May as the date it opens, but to throw another spanner in the works, this site says it opens on 11th June!

• RobLeenio

May 8, 2019 at 9:59 AM

If we get taken over by Mexicans, will we all be munching chimichangas at half time instead of hot dogs?

I know what I’d prefer.

• Geordie-john

May 8, 2019 at 10:01 AM

This is one player that we need to keep a tight hold on. I’d rather let Lacselles go first as he seems to have dropped his performance lately with the odd burst of oooh shit I better get that one.

• Munster Mag

May 8, 2019 at 10:02 AM

Rafa to Barca? Snowballs in July.

• hibbit

May 8, 2019 at 10:05 AM

Munster

and PIGS can fly 😉

• G

May 8, 2019 at 10:06 AM

I do not like Tottenham, I have a special limit of hatred for their fans, however, I want them to win tonight. I have a feeling this one is an Ajax win, however, I will be delighted to see an all English final.

• Jib

May 8, 2019 at 10:07 AM

Explanation
    Domestic transfers can be completed from midnight on May 16, but transfers from abroad can only be finalised once the FIFA Transfer Matching System (TMS) opens at midnight on June 9.

• welshgeordie9

May 8, 2019 at 10:09 AM

Hats off to Liverpool last night, didn’t expect that.

• Geordie-john

May 8, 2019 at 10:14 AM

RobLeenio

Do you really think this latest bollocks about Mexicans wanting to buy NUFC is real ? It’s more bullshit so Fat Lad doesn’t have to spend the money he is going to get for us staying in the premiership. Maybe the food might be a nice change though lol

• Jib

May 8, 2019 at 10:18 AM

GeordieJohn
    A Uruguayan sports commentator mentions the
    Mexican link with NUFC on FoxSports South America
    Keith Bishop’s bullshit is good but I doubt even he can reach that far !!!

• Jib

May 8, 2019 at 10:19 AM

BTW Mendez is one of the folk who mentioned
    the Miggy connection early doors.

• martoon

May 8, 2019 at 10:33 AM

Re – the transfer window – I think the confusion has come about because EPL clubs thought it was unfair that the window was still open after the season had started and so voted to close it just before the season kicked off and therefore brought the opening date forward as well. However this does not now align with Europe and the rest of the world so there are different dates for their windows – hence the confusion for different dates. However I think the article that was posted by hibbit @11 has all the dates correct which is unusual for the Mail 😉

• Nostradamus the Geordie

May 8, 2019 at 10:36 AM

It’s funny living in the America you would think I would have heard this rumbling, but once again the Cronic has released a story without any concrete proof.

Guess what there’s a company in Brazil that also wants to purchase Newcastle, another one in Bolivia, another one Canada and another one in a small village in the rain Forrest.

Hopefully the Cronic can print this news tomorrow, what a complete load of tosh they are turning into.

• RobLeenio

May 8, 2019 at 10:39 AM

Geordie-john, do I think it’s real? No, not at this point, but I admit it could be. In the same way that anything is possible in an infinite Universe. Looked at from the perspective of the infinite, this would actually be fairly likely. But, no, not until I see more evidence. I want to see sombreros in the Gallowgate first.

Question for you – if Mexicans were buying the club, do you think their impact on the catering at SJP would really, truly and honestly be my first concern, or do you think it’s more likely I was being tongue-in-cheek?

(disclaimer, I know sombreros, whilst associated with Mexico, are not likely to be worn by Mexican businessmen on a daily basis and are more likely to be worn by p!ssed up Geordies welcoming our new owners)

• Jib

May 8, 2019 at 10:42 AM

NUFC have registered an interest in Daniel James
    the Swansea City winger.
    Man U and LPool are both looking at him so it probably
    won’t happen but it’s worth mentioning because he’s very
    left sided and shows what Rafa is after.

• Jib

May 8, 2019 at 10:46 AM

Robleenio
    “if Mexicans were buying the club, do you think their impact on the catering at SJP would really, truly and honestly be my first concern”
    It could be cos the guy that is looking at us has connections with the brewery that produces Corona (a canny lager as it happens)
    In fact Santos’ stadium is called the Estadio Corona

• martoon

May 8, 2019 at 10:55 AM

Genoa jib @34 – They sell Corona in the club bars but it is very expensive – maybe a Mexican takeover would help reduce the price of Corona :mrgreen:

• Nicky the ball tosser

May 8, 2019 at 10:56 AM

Mexican owners, bring it on!

They love their football almost as much as their food. Went to Mexico City on holidays for a couple weeks a year or two ago and just couldn’t stop eating, mostly from street stalls huddled together, which are so excellent they would be almost impossible to pass if there weren’t always another cluster of them 50 metres on, and guaranteed to be at least as good and so very cheap.

Had no Spanish, and little English spoken back, so would just reel off random items from the banner above the harried cook. Various types of tacos, enchiladas, tamales, quesadillas etc and then you pile on the complimentary sides of peppers, onions, chilli, papas, cheese and salsa. All under a dollar each, as were the beers, although you couldn’t get them together sadly, which was probably for the best.

An abundance of Mexican street vendors dotted around Tyneside and a new match day menu at St Jameses would be just the ticket, along with a new owner of course.

• yogz69

May 8, 2019 at 11:08 AM

Just read the article about the Mexicans, looks positive in my opinion. Hope it happens some real talent in Mexico available for us.

• RobLeenio

May 8, 2019 at 11:11 AM

Corona is alright, gives me hiccups.

Could be the lime they stuff in the top, I reckon.

Fancy having a beer sponsoring a football team. That would never happen around here
    😉

• RobLeenio

May 8, 2019 at 11:16 AM

The one thing that makes me more interested in this story is that the guy resigned as President of Santos last week (as mentioned by Jib earlier).

Some interesting stuff in that reddit which suggests he’s been selling Santos’ best players and the money hasn’t been reinvested.

Sounds depressingly familiar.

• Geordie-john

May 8, 2019 at 11:31 AM

Jib

So you mean this could be true ????
    Holy shit tortillas for half time . Now that could really spice things up LOL ( sorry couldn’t resist that )