web analytics

Rondon In Praise Of Rafa – Still Unsure Of Newcastle Future

Fans never understood why Rafa never played Aleksandar Mitrovic very often in the Newcastle side.

It seemed the striker could score goals, but there seemed other things missing from the talented Serbian International.

Enter Salomon Rondon this season and fans could immediately see how his play up front fits perfectly with the way Rafa wants Newcastle to play.

Newcastle play a lot on the counter-attack, and when we do have the ball, we have to keep it, as the forwards move into attacking positions.

Salmon does that so well, and besides, he can score goals and make them too.

Salomon has 11 goals this season in 32 games with 29 of them being starts.

Salomon Rondon scores!

And it’s the first time he’s got into double figures in Premier League goals with 10,

Rondon has praised manager Rafa Benitez in an interview with Spanish outlet Mundo Deportivo:

“I am very satisfied because the coach Rafa Benítez put a lot of confidence in me and I have tried to give the maximum to the team.”

“Having participated in so many goals has been important for the goals of the team and the personal ones, which were to be able to surpass what I had done before in the Premier League this season.”

“There is still one more day at Fulham on Sunday to try to have a good finish.”

“Then think about the Copa America with Venezuela this summer and wherever I am next season, continue to contribute work and goals.”

We really hope we can beat Fulham in our final game on Sunday, but it’s by no means a certainty.

They have won three of their last four games and their only defeat in that time was a 1-0 loss at Watford last Saturday.

9 points from four games for a relegated side is not at all bad, and maybe Caretaker Manager and maybe 38-year-old former Newcastle midfielder Scotty Parker will get the job permanently in the summer?

What do you think?

• ronaldo aarons

May 8, 2019 at 2:57 PM

Moonraker
    I wouldn’t look to sell him but I was just curious as to who you think we could replace him with for about the £15m you’d take for him?

• Ron Knee

May 8, 2019 at 3:00 PM

£15m = 3 Joselus

• ronaldo aarons

May 8, 2019 at 3:05 PM

Moonraker
    Yes we need better quality but why start with selling important first teamers like Perez rather than say atsu or Murphy therefore improving the competition in the squad. Something Rafa always talks about with transfers.

• ronaldo aarons

May 8, 2019 at 3:07 PM

With you selling Perez for 15m and wanting to replace with someone worth about 30m. Not going to happen under Ashley and you’re still left with a thin on quality squad.

• martoon

May 8, 2019 at 3:08 PM

It should be interesting to see Rondon and Mitro in direct opposition to each other – obviously they play at opposite ends of the pitch but for things like corners they could be competing against each other. My money is on Rondon to come out on top with a possible red card for Mitro as Lascelles & Ritchie are bound to wind him up!

• RobLeenio

May 8, 2019 at 3:10 PM

martoon, you could be right on Mitro’s red card. He’ll be disappointed not to have made an impression in the return fixture, he’ll be trying desperately to prove a point this weekend. We all know what happens when he tries too hard.

Just hope he doesn’t do any of our defenders an injury in the process.

• Moonraker15

May 8, 2019 at 3:12 PM

Ronaldo
    When you’re analysing quality how many times do Man City players lose possession during a game? If David Silva loses it once he’s criticised. Ayoze typically loses possession 10 times in a game, scores a goal and gets mom!
    We’ve got to raise our sights! This is what Rafa is haggling for; more quality; more money!

• RobLeenio

May 8, 2019 at 3:14 PM

I wonder whether the Police have had some intelligence ahead of the Fulham match about some kind of bother being planned. It seems strange that not only have they barred NUFC fans from the neutral zone, but they’ve also made the trains alcohol-free.

It’s not like our fans have attracted anything but positive headlines this season, so what makes this weekend any different?

It’s a weird one, though – it’s not like the Fulham fans have any kind of reputation and I’m not aware of any gripe we have with them.

• Moonraker15

May 8, 2019 at 3:15 PM

Ronaldo
    Because apparently Ayoze sees his future somewhere else. I reckon Atsu could still come good; he had a good game v the bin dippers!

• Nicky the ball tosser

May 8, 2019 at 3:18 PM

I’d say there are maybe 4 or 5 Rafa might ideally like to upgrade. My guess would be Joselu, Diame, Kenedy and seemingly Barreca and looking at bringing in significant quality to replace them. I can’t see him really “wanting” to replace any more in the one window unless he can get them in early, although he may need to also replace Hayden and Shelvey reluctantly. You need a full preseason to bed new players in for the start of the season. Perez is not likely at all to be sold unless he wants to go.

• Moonraker15

May 8, 2019 at 3:20 PM

Ronaldo
    Ashley paid £21 million for Miggy. Rafa can pick up world class players from Spain for 25 – 30 million with his contacts. He wants to be able to sign older players; I would start with whatsisname from Arsenal on a free but he’d want big money!

• ronaldo aarons

May 8, 2019 at 3:22 PM

Moonraker
    Nobody was talking or comparing Perez to silva lol.

I just simply asked who you think you’d replace Perez with if you sold him for say £15m as that’s what you think he’s worth in today’s market. Your reply was that you’d replace him with someone worth about £30m.

Yes we need more quality and money but what good is it if you still have the likes of atsu or Kennedy this season to fall back on.

To me selling Perez is quite cheap for £15m.

• jazzyp

May 8, 2019 at 3:27 PM

Robleenio

What do ya think Loftus cheek valuation would be tho,As I don’t expect any change out of 30 mill for the lad.Which means another transfer statement from Ashley.
    If Rafa stays then maybe things will change I hope and I suppose yhe next month will let us all know which direction the club is heading bud

• RobLeenio

May 8, 2019 at 3:28 PM

Was Liverpool FC’s comeback last night the most irritating of all time?

Tinyurl so as not to break the blog.

• RobLeenio

May 8, 2019 at 3:33 PM

loftus cheek, I reckon £20-£25M. He’s an England international but hasn’t played much this season and wants away.

Hayden I reckon £15-£17M, he’s an up and coming star and an investment for the future. He’ll also tick a home-grown player box for Chelsea.

So, we’ll have to maybe pay up to £10M on top of Hayden. I think that’s a deal Ashley could swallow comfortably to bring in one of the hottest prospects in England.

All hypothetical, though, mate.