web analytics

Frugal Mike Ashley Continues To Cause Big Problems For Rafa – Here’s Just One Example

Salomon Rondon has just completed his best ever goalscoring season in the Premier League on loan at Newcastle, and that’s due to the way Rafa has played him in the Newcastle side.

Rafa has used him as the lone striker up front who can hold the ball up while other forwards move quickly into position to create a quick counter-attack.

Salomon has been a master at that this season.

He has 11 goals in the Premier League and one in the League Cup for 12 total goals this season.

We could have signed him for £16,5M in the summer but as usual Mike Ashley dragged his feet on a 29-year-old – too old for that kind of money.

Normal clubs would have snapped him up as a bargain buy in July, but we both hesitated and waited.

Now after an excellent season at Newcastle bigger clubs than Newcastle – like Wolves (is that really the case now?) – are ready to pay the going price for the Venezuelan striker this summer and Mike Ashley will not.

Wolves tried to break his loan deal in January to sign him permanently.

Salomon Rondon – after scoring 11th PL goal on Sunday

This type of foot-dragging by the owner is a massive problem for manager Rafa Benitez as he tries to build a top Newcastle side with a frugal owner and not much money available.

The owner continues to think small (how can we save money?) while owning Newcastle – the polar opposite of how our world-class manager Rafa Benitez thinks.

He wants to build a team that can win the Champions League – let’s be clear about that.

This is what Rafa has said in the Chronicle today about the Rondon situation:

“His 10 goals was his best score mark in the Premier League and against Fulham he scored another one,”

“He is really happy and a key player for us. The way that he was playing for us, linking with other players and scoring goals, I think he has been a very important player for us.”

“It’s something everyone can see. Maybe everyone can see it because he was made player of the year.”

“I think he wants to stay – the problem is that, because he was so good, the more people have been watching him, so we have to wait.”

Rondon will return to West Brom this week, and we’ll know on Thursday night if West Brom have made it through to the Championship playoff final.

They play at home to Aston Villa in the second leg of their playoff semi-final game, and they are 2-1 behind with Dwight Gayle banned for the game and also the playoff final – if they make it through.

Dwight got sent off for a second yellow card with two minutes to play in the first leg at Villa Park

Chances are that Leeds will win the tie,

That would make it cheaper (if not easier) for Newcastle to sign Rondon for around £16,5M this summer – if only Ashley will pay that amount.

When is somebody going to tell Mr. Ashley he should get out of the football club ownership business because he’s not cut out for this type of thing and just doesn’t have a clue?

And why does he continually surround himself with non-footballing people?

Who Was Newcastle's Player Of The Season?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• martoon

May 13, 2019 at 11:07 PM

Well this is different – a new topic this late at night 😉

• martoon

May 13, 2019 at 11:13 PM

Ed also the Villa WBA game is on Tuesday night, Sunderland play Thursday night!

• jane

May 13, 2019 at 11:19 PM

“if only Ashley will pay that amount”

i don’t expect Ashley to be involved in how the transfer budget is spent.

• lesh

May 13, 2019 at 11:21 PM

Whilst there’s no denying that Mickey boy dictates the general policy of frugality, I’m not convinced that he’s the one that’s making decisions on each proposal Rafa makes.

There’s no doubt he’s a hands-on owner but he also has much bigger fish to fry with his SD empire. There’s no way he’d trust Charnley to sign off multi-million pound deals without reference to somebody he, Ashley, can trust to manage NUFC’s finances on his behalf and I suspect that that person is Barnes who’ll be there to hold the fort on his behalf. Barnes’s probably the sort who where there’s doubt, he’d do nowt – block expenditure.

There’s no way I’m excusing Ashley for the current state of affairs and he must take ultimate responsibility for it. He’d be better advised to employ Peter Kenyon type as MD, someone who knows the business of football, rather than a thug such as Barnes who’s there to hold the purse shut.

In the light of that, I can see Ashley and Rafa sorting something out between them but as long as Barnes’s responsible for overseeing Charnley, anything that’s agreed – if anything is agreed – there’ll always be problems.

However, we can but waif and hope that sense prevails and Barnes’s deployed elsewhere.

• jimiley

May 13, 2019 at 11:30 PM

More chance of the Pope turning Protestant than Rafa staying. Its hard to believe that some supporters think he will stay. Why would he want to fight a perpetual relegation battle to keep Ashley in his billions????

• Bobbybee

May 13, 2019 at 11:40 PM

OP, just spotted your post mate. No, I haven’t tried that yet mate, but I’ve heard it’s expensive? How much and how long do they last mate?
    I’ve had some red seal last few nights and frankly, I’d forgotten how good it was. For me, weed has been hacked too many times, whereas red seal hits you with the hammer straight away.
    Whether it actually kills pain, or, maybe it just makes you feel so good you don’t notice the pain, I’m still no closer to deciding, but anything that eases suffering should not be illegal.
    I don’t use baccy anyway – never smoked a tab in my life – delusions of being a pro footballer when kids usually start smoking stopped me. 🙂
    What do you use it for mate, if that’s not too personal? And I assume it works, well? I’m open to all ideas.
    This red seal is wiping me out at night and aiding sleep, but it’s nearly gone. So hard to find nowadays.
    Thanks for the info though, nice of you to pass it on. MRI scan came back and not good news, so things getting a bit desperate now. Try anything that might help. Cheers.

• TyneMouth

May 14, 2019 at 12:05 AM

It’s undoubtedly appropriate that coincidental to Ed Harrison handing the editorial keyboard to the hands of his son Neil, this blog will notch up its two hundredth million viewing!

200, 000, 000, wow!

In just over 12 years!

I think this is a remarkable milestone and a wonderful achievement by Dr Ed. A lap of honour is required.

I remember reading the blog in its formative years, and I vaguely remember a posting by Ed on the day the blog received its one million viewing. Ed was posting as a contributor as well as editor in those days. His announcement of the first million viewing was one of modest surprise, a style and politeness of reporting he has dignified on this blog for over twelve years.

Thank-you Ed, and a warm welcome to Neil, good luck and best wishes to both of you. Long live the Blog…

• lesh

May 14, 2019 at 12:11 AM

Bobby

If you’re not using baccy with your red, presumably you’re using a chillum or the like?

And as far as pain relief goes, I’d say yes, that’s what you’re getting from it. If it did the job for for Queen Victoria, it’s likely making life a lot easier for you.

If you can find a cd or download it, try listening to the Snowflakes Are Dancing or Pictures At An Exhibition albums by Tomita… you’ll likely find it so so restfully colourful without knocking you over.

• Bobbybee

May 14, 2019 at 12:12 AM

Big Bob, yeah, I will be renewing my ST. That doesn’t mean I’m happy with the situation, it just means that winning isn’t everything to me.
    I love football, period. I love Newcastle United unconditionally.
    I didn’t start supporting the Toon when Rafa came and I won’t stop when he leaves. Its like asking Hartlepool fans why they still go to games, knowing they’re ambition is, what? Survive?
    My mate moved up here from Wigan. Loves football, so follows Blyth home and away now. Chances of success? Zero. Ambition? None really. So why does he go? He’s fallen in love with the club.
    I love the camaraderie. The gallows humour. The belonging, but above everything else, the feeling when the ball crosses the line and 50k fans go mental – that’s irreplaceable.
    Win, lose or draw, play well, play crap – it’s not important to me. It’s my club. Mine, not Ashley’s. Eventually he’ll go, I’ll just die eventually, but I’ll die a Newcastle fan and happy for it. For me it’s not why would I carry on going, it’s why would I stop? Apart from a short period under KK and SBR we’ve always lacked ambition. This is far more typical of NUFC than that great decade was. McKeag was just as bad. Seymours, The Pirate… none of this is new.
    I’ve seen them all off, I’ll see him off hopefully.
    I can’t live without football and who else could I support with how I love NUFC?
    That said, everyone must make their own choice. Let’s hope Rafa gets most of what he asks for. I hate seeing a support divided like this. I don’t support Ashley. I pay what I think is a reasonable price for PL football and am happy to do so. I’m not a sheep. In my younger days I may well have swung for him by now, but times change. 🙂
    We lost last week. Great game, superb atmosphere ( shit lifts) glad I was there to experience it. Winning’s, great, but it ain’t everything. Supporting Newcastle all my life has taught me that much.

May 14, 2019 at 12:14 AM

I think shelvey is gets the arm band when lascelles isn’t there and if shelvey isn’t playing it’s been dummett who has had the captaincy.

At the top of my mind.

• Lindisfarne

May 14, 2019 at 12:17 AM

I don’t know what makes me wonder, but I suspect Rafa has someone else in mind. Although Rondons experience is a huge factor in wanting him to continue at NUFC, there are absolutely too many variables at play at the moment to predict who will be in the first team next season. Never mind leading it.

• lesh

May 14, 2019 at 12:18 AM

Bobby

I’m whacked and ready for some zeds so I’ll catch up tomorrow.

Keep smiling all

May 14, 2019 at 12:20 AM

Lascelles has came in for stick and I’ve defended at times and pointed out when he was showing good form. He hasn’t hit the heights of last year and has few poor performances but he has not been as bad as some make out. Still happy to see and call him the captain and be here for many years getting better. Form is temporary after all.

Stats show that he was actually our best defender in terms of blocks and clearances and is actually 5 best in that regard in the league barring the top 6 players.

May 14, 2019 at 12:21 AM

Check out mike dean lol. Somehow makes any game about him!

Rumour has it world war 2 was about him.

May 14, 2019 at 12:22 AM

May 14, 2019 at 12:27 AM

In games of the 14 teams, (excluding top 6)
    Only Watford collected more points with 47, we were joint second with scouse mackems on 42.

It’s games against the top 6 that we were let down with results, either shown up for lack of quality but also down on a lot of luck.

May 14, 2019 at 12:29 AM

Little bit of quality added in the team, or even just a case of sign almiron in the summer or bring in rondon early to get up to speed. We could have had a fantastic season. That’s so frustrating, don’t know how Rafa hasn’t decked Charnley or Ashley.

May 14, 2019 at 12:33 AM

Only Watford, Palace and Leicester collected more points away from home v the 14 clubs than Newcastle.

May 14, 2019 at 12:34 AM

I’m running out lol, need someone to step in lol.

May 14, 2019 at 12:36 AM

In players of the 14 clubs. Only Wilson, vardy, Fraser, Jimenez and sigurdsson had more goal involvements (Goals and assists) than rondon.

#TooMuchTooOld
    #NoValue

May 14, 2019 at 12:38 AM

In the 14 clubs, only Pickford kept more clean sheets 14, than dubravka 11.

May 14, 2019 at 12:41 AM

14 clubs again, Matt Ritchie joint third with moutinho for assists. Only Fraser and Wilson at Bournemouth got more.

May 14, 2019 at 12:43 AM

I’m done. All stats taken from https://mobile.twitter.com/Other14The

May 14, 2019 at 12:45 AM

Mike Ashley
    @MoneyMikeAshley
    6h
    Unfortunately until the manager/head coach situation is sorted, I won’t be able to sign anyone. This could drag on a while yet.

Thank you for your support.

#nufc

• TyneMouth

May 14, 2019 at 12:51 AM

For what it’s worth;

I have a feeling that in considering the choice of player of this season, that future football historians might judge the the introduction of Sean Longstaff, and his rapid maturing and influence on team, as the key factor of this season’s performance.

Sean was promoted to the first team due to injuries to senior squad members, he grabbed the opportunity, and matured faster than most of us thought possible, he also revived the career of Issac Hayden, who, at the time, was in most fan’s judgement still on the naughty step because of his early season red card.

Sean and Issac’s partnership changed the format of the team, it became based on a back three, with wing backs, Longstaff and Hayden, and a front three, just in time for the introduction of this season’s final cog, Almiron..

Sadly, Sean’s season ended prematurely, but without his contribution would Hayden have developed his mojo to his current level?

Would Perez have remembered where the goal was?

Would Almiron’s introduction have been so sucessful?

Was the success of the Longstaff/Hayden combo an encouragement for Schar to join the counter attack.

And finally, would Rondon have had his success without all the ingredients that Longstaff brought to the team.

Roll on next season, Sean’s coronation year. Rock on…

May 14, 2019 at 1:08 AM

Salomon rondon is 29, 30 in September. Unlikely that we’ll pay 16m for him, considered too much last year for a then 28 year old.

Wolves sign Jimenez, 28, for over 30m.

Sigurdsson on 100k a week, same age as rondon. They paid 45m for him 2 seasons ago.

• Grafton83

May 14, 2019 at 5:39 AM

I was the 200000000th reader of Eds blog, counter in top left of homepage. Thanks for the many many articles over the years.

• DubaiMicky

May 14, 2019 at 5:57 AM

That’s some doing, 200 million page views in 12 years, so roughly 45,000 A DAY – I’d suggest a lot of that is the adbots, but fair play to you Dr. Ed.

Congratulations.

• posada

May 14, 2019 at 6:41 AM

Gayle is only 1 year younger than Rondon.
    He will make up at least the 1st 12M of his transfer fee.

So, really it’s 4 million for a thirty year old.

Still too much for MA.
    He always wants 70% off. Just like his jogging bottoms at SD.

• beermonkey

May 14, 2019 at 6:46 AM

Dubai

Don’t forget all of jibs accounts

• Nicky the ball tosser

May 14, 2019 at 7:15 AM

That’s exactly the pose I used to strike on the disco floor back on the day Salomón, just after having stylishly tossed my bri nylon jacket away. I like your style.

• DubaiMicky

May 14, 2019 at 7:15 AM

beermonkey, LOL, love it.

• Jib

May 14, 2019 at 7:19 AM

Rondon was kack last July and no sane person would have risked
    near £17m on him.
    He didn’t score his first league goal until the 12th match of the season
    Rafa saw the potential and helped big Ron fulfil it he probably is worth
    the SAME money now as last summer.
    It’s the very definition of what a loan is arranged for
    We dodged a bullet with Kenedy’s loan and we’ll probably acquire a good
    player when the Baggies screw up tonight.
    To somehow drag Ashley into all this is really silly and making folk look foolish

• big bob

May 14, 2019 at 7:58 AM

Bobbybee

Surely though you want to get entertainment for your 500 + per year everyone loves the club I get that I am no different but sitting in the stand on a cold Tuesday night in December getting turned over by West ham or palace you would call that enjoyment no hope to ambition but you still love to go next season if Rafa goes which I think he will because Ashley isn’t going to release the funds for Rafa when all he is interested in is finishing 17th and getting a load of cash
    you will be happy with a 3rd rate manager and cheap and nasty probably french players to watch every week no hope no ambition?? Because you love the club then that’s your choice and the main reason why nothing will change at this club because people like you which is your choice and there are 1000s like you will go every week and pay him more cash and he can dish out mediocrity