web analytics

The Newcastle United Blog – Important Announcement

As you know my energy levels have been low for a while now, and I haven’t been able to publish the number of articles we used to.

The good news is that one of my twin son’s – Neil – a Newcastle fanatic (it’s in the DNA) – has agreed to help me out with the articles for the foreseeable future.

Neil is well qualified to write about Newcastle.

He has a degree in English from North Carolina State University here in Raleigh and he’s watched Newcastle’s games ever since we got the Premier League matches broadcast over here in the US almost 20 years ago.

Neil Harrison – Newcastle United Blog writer

Long-term readers will remember that Neil has written articles before for the blog.

I am delighted my son is coming on board and he knows it will not be easy.

All I ask of you is that you give him a fair chance – and as much as help as you have given me over 12 years on this blog.

Neil and I will work in tandem to get you the best articles we can on Newcastle United every single day.

Thanks – Ed Harrison.

• martoon

May 13, 2019 at 11:45 AM

Let’s hope he can spell blog 😀

• Rotonda heights

May 13, 2019 at 11:46 AM

Welcome Neil,

That makes sense as I don’t know how Ed manages to keep it going with all he has to contend with.

On another note if Rafa goes, this could be us:-

Next Brighton manager odds: Graham Potter, Phil Neville and David Moyes in mix to replace Chris Hughton

• Ron Knee

May 13, 2019 at 11:46 AM

Great news!

• DubaiMicky

May 13, 2019 at 11:50 AM

Welcome Neil, as someone mentioned the other day, your Americanisms make it obvious when the writing is from you.

But you have a degree in English?

Anyway, welcome and HWTL.

• sweendog

May 13, 2019 at 11:51 AM

Take it easy Ed. As ever this is an excellent blog, my first port of call for checking all things Newcastle related.

• barkel

May 13, 2019 at 11:51 AM

Great that you have the help Ed, hopefully the off season will offer a decent break and some recovery for you.

It was certainly a big miss when you had a day off a couple of weeks back

• simon376

May 13, 2019 at 11:54 AM

Welcome Neil, enjoyed your articles.
    You take care Ed and get yourself fit and well

• carltoon

May 13, 2019 at 11:55 AM

great news Ed. and welcome Neil

• Pottsclock

May 13, 2019 at 12:08 PM

Didn’t Rupert Murdoch’s son also inherit vast portions of his publishing empire? Welcome Neil.

• Neil Harrison

May 13, 2019 at 12:14 PM

Thank you all for the well wishes and nice comments over the past week. I’m really looking forward to interacting with you through this summer and beyond. Cheers!

• martoon

May 13, 2019 at 12:17 PM

My comment @1 makes no sense now but when the article first came out the headline said ‘bog’!
    Anyway welcome Neil – be nice to see you in the comment section from time to time like Ed does.

• martoon

May 13, 2019 at 12:18 PM

Well Neil that was right on cue :mrgreen:

• Jib

May 13, 2019 at 12:19 PM

I still think
    “Windmills of Your Mind” was your tour de force
    welcome

• Jail for Ashley

May 13, 2019 at 12:20 PM

Welcome on board Neil.
    Jib,
    It doesn’t make a person any more or less knowledgeable on the game because they have different opinions on a managers sacking.
    You will find lots of different opinions
    Chris Hughton is a great guy but I don’t get the outrage over his sacking. 36 points this year (down from 40), only stayed up by two. Can’t afford to get even worse next year. Need a fresh approach and someone more in line with Tony Bloom’s signings.

10:03 AM – May 13, 2019
    180 people agreed with that Jib, does that make all those people footy know nowts?

• Neil Harrison

May 13, 2019 at 12:20 PM

Martoon – I updated the title when I saw your comment. Was very funny. I hope it wasn’t a Freudian slip by my dad. Don’t want to bog anything down now do I.

• Jail for Ashley

May 13, 2019 at 12:20 PM

Whoops!

• Ron Knee

May 13, 2019 at 12:21 PM

I thought Bog was a reference to Rafa’s contract situation!

• Rotonda heights

May 13, 2019 at 12:24 PM

A bit mixed feelings over Hughton.

I did think there was a bit of a lack of a plan B at times, not just here, Norwich where he got relegated and now Brighton.

• mac the jaffrey

May 13, 2019 at 12:26 PM

Welcome Neil and all the best Ed!

• mactoon

May 13, 2019 at 12:30 PM

Good luck to you both, never forget your health comes first.

• lesh

May 13, 2019 at 12:30 PM

Ed,

You do right to hand over the reins to Neil and will guide him through any tricky issues. You’ll be a hard act to follow though.

And, Neil can always rely on the Blog’s Johnny Know-All to help if needs be.

• JP...from The Rock

May 13, 2019 at 12:32 PM

All the best Ed. Glad your son Neil will help you to keep us up to speed in anything NUFC related.

You do a fantastic job every day and I appreciate all the effort you put in.

• All Aboot Toon

May 13, 2019 at 12:33 PM

Welcome Neil, I’m looking forward to reading your articles.
    All the best to Ed.

Brighton fans be careful what you wish for…

• hibbit

May 13, 2019 at 12:34 PM

Welcome Neil and all the very best Ed stay strong !!

• Diddly

May 13, 2019 at 12:35 PM

Welcome Neil. Interesting times ahead good or bad who knows. Many hands and all that Edd. Keep well

• Bambams

May 13, 2019 at 12:37 PM

Welcome Neil, you have a hard act to follow. Good to hear father and son working together.

All the best Ed, you deserve the break mate.

🙂

• geordie157

May 13, 2019 at 12:39 PM

All the best Ed!

I’m not in shock about Hughton but yet another sign of clubs panicking. Hope he finds another good club who show him a bit more loyalty.

• DaveD1000

May 13, 2019 at 12:40 PM

Welcome Neil have enjoyed your articles so far. Look after the old man we worry about him.

• martoon

May 13, 2019 at 12:40 PM

Neil @15 – Cheers and if you’re still around can I ask whether you are planning to do a blog poll for player of the season – I need it to complete my prediction summary 😉

• DrG.NCL

May 13, 2019 at 12:41 PM

Registered to say: All the very best wishes to you, Dr. Ed, you’re a legend to all of us. Likewise a warm welcome to Neil – you have big shoes to help fill but I have every faith.

• martoon

May 13, 2019 at 12:43 PM

Re. Hughton – I have to say I’m with Jail on this one. I think he’s a great guy but I think he has taken Brighton as far as he can. He’s also lost the fans – I looked on some of the fan sites before we played them and some of the vitriol towards him was vicious and nasty.

• Jib

May 13, 2019 at 12:45 PM

Lesson one
    How to set up a poll
    😀

• Moonraker15

May 13, 2019 at 12:47 PM

Welcome Neil, you’re doing s great job!
    Howay the Lads !

• Average_Contents

May 13, 2019 at 12:48 PM

Thank you very much Neil for helping keep the blog going.

We’d be lost without it and like others have said, it’s the best blog around for nufc fans by a mile and my first port of call.

Stay strong Ed!

• RobLeenio

May 13, 2019 at 12:50 PM

Cheers Ed, thanks for the update.

Welcome Neil (probably years too late). I’ve been enjoying your articles lately and look forward to many more.

All the best to you both.

• Slatymag

May 13, 2019 at 12:53 PM

Welcome Neil. You and your dad do a grand job, much appreciated!

• Moonraker15

May 13, 2019 at 12:54 PM

Not surprised Hughton has been sacked; they were lucky to stay up! Feel sorry for Cardiff as the had a real go and maybe the striker getting killed was their downfall as half a dozen goals would’ve saved them!

• barkel

May 13, 2019 at 12:54 PM

On hoots sacking, I’m in the it’s harsh camp. Saved them from relegation into league one, got them promoted and kept them in the Premier League to be there for a third season (7th top flight campaign in their almost 100 year history) and got them to an FA cup semi final. Sure it was a disappointing end to their season but we had worse runs than they did and I wouldn’t question if Rafa was good enough.

• Mindshaft

May 13, 2019 at 1:00 PM

Welcome aboard Neil , good luck.

Feel a bit sorry for Hoots, as Barkel mentioned he did a good job at Brighton, however the fans there didn’t like the stye of football this season especially as they spent big money to improve on last season.
    Hoots barely played some of the big signings they made and in all honesty they looked pants when they did play – seems hoots is getting the blame for poor signings which were actually not his
    Such is the life of a footy manager these days.

• RobLeenio

May 13, 2019 at 1:05 PM

martoon, surely the opinion of the fans is their problem, rather than Hughton’s?

Its shocking that they can turn on a guy who has done so much for them to such a degree.

Sadly indicative of the way things are in today’s game. For Hudds to have sacked David Wagner and Brighton to sack Hughton is just ridiculous – they owe their current success to these men, to ditch them when things start to look less good is just short-sighted. If they’re good enough to get you promoted once, they can do it again, even if you are relegated.