web analytics

Transfer Season – What Holes In The Squad Need Filling?

Here we are at the start of another transfer season. While right now Rafa is on everyone’s mind, this squad could be greatly improved with a few key signings.

Rafa Benitez – New contract is top priority

We will look at what areas of the pitch that need strengthening. We’ll do this under the assumption that most of the squad stays intact.

Recruitment at both wingback positions will be vital in this window. Matt Ritchie has slotted in beautifully on the left but there is little in terms of cover or competition.

With Newcastle almost certain to not trigger Antonio Barecca’s option to buy, a left wingback is a crucial area for recruitment. Wasn’t that the case last season as well?

The other side of the pitch is also lacking at wingback. While we like DeAndre Yedlin and Javier Manquillo has been a bit better lately, this position needs an upgrade.

Another midfielder is also necessary. Isaac Hayden is likely to leave but his tweet yesterday left the door open. Ki Sung-yeung is 30 and may not get a contract beyond next season. Mohamed Diame is looking more likely to be leaving on a free.

Even if Hayden does stay, another midfielder should be brought in. A young player like Thiago Maia would be a great signing. He would bring something extra and would have time to adapt to the Premier League if bought this summer.

We would also like to see a versatile attacker who could push both Almiron and Ayoze Perez. Maybe someone like Nikola Vlasic.

While we have yet to see much of Yoshinori Muto, his lack of time on the pitch is concerning.  He did score a beautiful goal in the gut punch at Man United.  Kenedy will be leaving so his place will need to be filled.

Lastly, we need a striker in addition to Rondon.  We are hoping Rondon will come on a permanent but that seems to be a sticking point between Rafa and Ashley.  We are going to be optimistic about Salomon.

Joselu is just not good enough.  While he gives his all and is sound technically, he is just not a finisher.

A younger Rondon type player who can learn from the Venezuelan would be perfect.  A player who can win then hold the ball and put also put in the back of the net.

This position is so key to the way Newcastle play.

These are the positions we think need strengthening.

What do you think?

• hibbit

May 13, 2019 at 10:43 AM

i might be old fashioned but i think the Manager should be first, 😉

• Jail for Ashley

May 13, 2019 at 10:48 AM

hibbit,
    That’s an outrageous suggestion.

• Bobbybee

May 13, 2019 at 10:50 AM

Lesh, yeah, couldn’t believe my eyes. Not seen any in years – easier to grow than import I suppose. If they allowed Afghanistan to export it they could stop the opium growers by swapping crops. So many health benefits demonised by the oil and lumber industries because hemp is such a versatile plant. Biodegradable plastic ffs. Biofuel. Medicinal. This list is endless. ‘The True Story of Marijuana’ is just unreal. You can still get it online, shows the marketing campaign they put together to get the whole world to stop growing it – so worth watching. Propaganda as an art form to a gullible world. Some of the imagary is priceless and delivered to such a racist world. Its a film worth watching just as testament to how corrupt the MSM is. Always was. I would recommend it to anybody even if they have no issue with the current arcane laws, just as a piece of pure history about how the world really works. Lot of old clips so quality not the best, but the pictures still tell the story. If you only ever watch one documentary, make it this one.
    Take the red pill lesh – you know it makes sense. 🙂

• Jail for Ashley

May 13, 2019 at 10:52 AM

I wonder which poster Matt Smith is, his insaneinthemembrane team topped the Ed Harrison FF league this year, itvwould be good if we all played next year, I’ll be disappointed if I don’t make top ten next season.

• Jail for Ashley

May 13, 2019 at 10:53 AM

I’m surprised you don’t play Bobby.

• Bobbybee

May 13, 2019 at 11:01 AM

Jail, I gave it a go and just lost interest. Like me Super Six like. Bad year this one though. First time I’ve only broke even on my fiver accy. Stick a fiver on my SS and usually get it right three or four times a season. Only got it right once this season though, disaster after coming 97th in the world the previous season. Still covered my bets though, so still well up on sky overall. I kept forgetting to change things on that FF, never bothered again.

• RobLeenio

May 13, 2019 at 11:17 AM

GeordieTom, I remember watching the League Cup match at Pride Park when we beat Derby 1-0. It was the first time they’d been beaten in their new stadium.

I was in the Home end, didn’t wear my colours and tried to stay quiet, but couldn’t quite keep it in when Jon Dahl Tomasson (!) scored. Got a few looks but it was ok in the main.

I was paranoid when a guy sat in front of us who gave me a glare walked into Ryans Bar after us having followed us all the way into town, but it was all good. Decent folk in Derby, by and large.

• G

May 13, 2019 at 11:18 AM

@Rob @ 7. Derby’s a great town, had many a great night out and bank holiday weekend in there. Very friendly, and they like a decent pint.

• ScoopSouthAfrica

May 13, 2019 at 11:34 AM

Well not too bad for my first attempt at the EPL Fantasy league….

Ed Harrison League

Global Leagues

35,891
    Newcastle

61,485
    South Africa

2,641,622
    Overall

• lesh

May 13, 2019 at 12:18 PM

Beermonkey

Wrinkly Ville’s preparing itself for its annual influx of tourists. The council’s gearing up for the annual spike in arguments over who got which deckchair first and whether ice-cream portions’ve shrunk since last year. And then there’s the coaches clogging the prom – a nightmare I can tell you!

On the upside though, the undertakers’ trade picks up.

Hey ho…… and a few choruses of ‘we do like to he beside the seaside….. s

• lesh

May 13, 2019 at 12:25 PM

Jail

Who’s the mystery poster that topped the FF league?

C’mon Jail, you know as well as I that there can only be one who’s got the footballing knowledge and foresight to win it. The most talented and knowledgeable poster in the world is too modest to identify him/ her/ themselves.