web analytics

French Report – Rafa On Short List At Marseille – But Expected To Stay At Newcastle

French paper L’Equipe is reporting that Rafa Benitez is on a shortlist of seven managers that could become the nest boss at the French club.

Frank McCourt is the American owner of the club and is expected in Marseille this week.

Marseille are coming off a poor season when they finished in 6th place Ligue 1, and they want to do a lot better next season.

Other top managers linked with the job are reported to be Andre Villas-Boas, Gabriel Heinze, Jose Mourinho, Leonardo Jardim, Claude Puel and Laurent Blanc.

Rafa Benitez – doing what he loves to do every day – coaching his players

The strange claim made by the French newspaper is that Benitez has been “offered” to Marseille through his contacts in France.

The “offer” will be based on it taking so long for Newcastle to nail down Rafa to a new deal.

So there’s always the possibility he will become available this summer, with Glasgow Celtic still holding out hope they can get him.

But there’s no chance of that.

Current Marseille manager Rudi Garcia is acting like everything is normal and he’s planning for next season.

L’Equipe do report that the contract offer – when it does finally arrive from Ashley will in all likelihood mean that Rafa will not be available and a move to the French club seems unlikely.

Rafa cannot stop agents and others from offering him to other clubs while the negotiations take place.

That’s another reason why these negotiations should be completed as soon as possible.

This week.

• geordietom

May 22, 2019 at 10:12 AM

stay Rafa stay …

• Lee Charnley Bunga Party

May 22, 2019 at 10:16 AM

Juan Mata should really be a no brainer its sort of the kind of signing you would expect a Wolves, Watford, Leicester to sign and then you have all the pundits saying they couldn’t believe Man Utd let him go and what a shrewd signing he has been as he gets player of the year for the club that signed him similar to someone else last season……

If Ashley really wants to properly break into the Asian market his football team is the key everyone in Asia likes to be associated with a winning team and having Rafa as manager while signing a few high profile performers like Mata and Rondon make total sense from a football and a brand perspective! It doesn’t look good for the club playing the Asian tournament this summer with the team in disarray and getting pumped by 4 or 5 goals off the other premier league teams!

Also can you imagine how many youngsters in Newcastle would be wanting Mata or Rondon on the back of their shirts !?

• hibbit

May 22, 2019 at 10:19 AM

Lesh if these elections are so important to you and the nation what you wasting your time on here for, get out there and do some conversing for your chosen party not on here were its interfering with more pressing matters of far more significance to the posters on here 😉

• Ron Knee

May 22, 2019 at 10:39 AM

“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I don’t like that attitude. I can assure them it is much more serious than that.” (Bill Shankly)

• Jib

May 22, 2019 at 10:40 AM

I’m pushed to think of a player NUFC have signed from Man U
    Gowling and McCreery came through their youth system and
    into the senior side but neither was signed direct from Old Trafford.
    Unfortunately the only one I can think of is:-
    gulp !!!!

Handsupinsurrender-emoji

• Rob1971

May 22, 2019 at 10:47 AM

Jib Alan Davies also too, we got quit a few in the 80s

• Chancel My MBembaship

May 22, 2019 at 10:48 AM

Gillespie was the one that immediately sprung to mind coming from Man Utd.

• Lee Charnley Bunga Party

May 22, 2019 at 10:49 AM

Yeah Fergie always used to try and sell his duffers onto us or Sunderland have we tried to sign someone from them with as much pedigree as Mata in that he is a Champions League , World cup winner etc?

• Jib

May 22, 2019 at 10:49 AM

someone’s now going to hit me with a list of about 3 dozen players
    (dons crash helmet ready for MrTuff)

• posada

May 22, 2019 at 10:49 AM

I see some have broken the no politics rule.
    I’d like to make a simple statement of fact.

Yesterday I went onto the Brexit Party web site and indicated I wanted to make a donation of £25.
    Whether I did make the donation or not is my business. It asked for my full name and address. Also e mail address. It offered to accept payment by credit card or pay pal.

I then went onto the Labour Party web site and offered to donate £20. Whether I did or not is my business. They wanted exactly the same information from me. Name, address and e mail contact. They gave me exactly the same options to pay. Credit card or pay pal.

Why is one right and the other suspect.
    Try it for yourself if you don’t believe me.

• Jib

May 22, 2019 at 10:50 AM

Lee Charnley Bunga Party

THAT was the point I was trying to make
    ty
    😛

• Novocastrian66

May 22, 2019 at 10:52 AM

I would be gutted if we sold Longstaff. I would hate it if he went to Man Utd or Liverpool. Two of three clubs I absolutely despise, the other being the rabble down the road.

• Jib

May 22, 2019 at 10:52 AM

One has a treasurer that has served 8 months for money laundering

• Lee Charnley Bunga Party

May 22, 2019 at 10:55 AM

@Jib

Nicky Butt and Alan Smith? Both nowhere near as good when they signed for us I suppose!

• Lindisfarne

May 22, 2019 at 11:01 AM

Jib

Lucas Vazquez played one full 90 mins in ten games prior to Zidanes arrival on 11.3.19. He then played five straight matches and another three before being injured. Seeing out the remainder of the season as a sub.

……. I guess that makes you factually incorrect.

• Jib

May 22, 2019 at 11:02 AM

I guess

• Jib

May 22, 2019 at 11:10 AM

Lindisfarne
    Since Zidane’s return LV has never played a full 90 minutes
    Prior he played 9

just to confirm ZZ returned 11th March 2019

• Rob1971

May 22, 2019 at 11:15 AM

Got to see out of the players we signed from Man Utd I thought O’Brien, McCreery & Gillespie were good signings, even Simpson did a job for us.