web analytics

Latest Claims About Rafa’s Contract Probably Off The Mark

There is a report at 90min that the conflict hampering a new deal for Rafa is the size of the transfer budget. While we think there is some truth in this, the amount quoted seems to be off the mark.

Rafa Benitez– what is delaying this important deal?

Rafa Benitez is keen to stay at Newcastle. He has made that perfectly clear. But he has suffered like the rest of us at the hands of a stubborn owner who has gained his fortune through cutting costs.

That just does not work in football. And Rafa Benitez knows this.

As his contract situation lingers on, we all seemed trapped in a void between happiness and despair. We are held here in this void by the hands of Mike Ashley.

What is it that is holding up the pragmatic dream of a new contract for Rafa Benitez?

The report at 90min says that Rafa Benitez is demanding that a transfer kitty of £100M be written into the contract. While we feel that is not at all unreasonable on Rafa’s part, we also feel that this is not the principal obstacle to the deal.

We believe that Rafa does want assurances about transfers in his contract but it won’t be £100M. It will most likely be closer to half that amount.

This is because Rafa also understands that Newcastle’s infrastructure is screaming for investment.

While we think the manager knows how important this transfer window is for the club to push forward, he also knows that this club needs investment beyond the football pitch.

We just hope that this deal can be sorted soon and we don’t blame Rafa Benitez at all for demanding assurances from Mike Ashley.

• Jail for Ashley

May 24, 2019 at 9:59 PM

Done an excellent picture of whack a mole with Churnleys heads in place of the moles but forgot how to turn it in to jpeg, I managed ok with the fools and horses ones the other week.

• Online Guy

May 24, 2019 at 10:27 PM

Jail

Whack the mole eh ? Such Sophistication .

• Tsunki

May 24, 2019 at 10:28 PM

What format is it in now, jail? Even paint will open a load of formats and save as a jpeg. Keep plugging away you can do it! 🙂

Online give over.

Less bull, less bullying. As for using welshie as your yardstick of an innocent victim well wow. He’s no lamb but you’re a ham all right 😉

• Online Guy

May 24, 2019 at 10:29 PM

Change your name to Block and Tackle .

Block .

Your like George Raft …

Daft .

• Online Guy

May 24, 2019 at 10:36 PM

Aye Tsunki ..Here’s one for you ..I was talking to Princess T last Sunday . She was over in Austria and we had a natter ..I’m really good friends with her Father and the brothers .. have been for 35 years .

They have houses all over the South of England ..My mate has a house in Richmond and he comes this way when he’s off shooting in Scotland ..Hard to believe maybe but true.

Amazing the flak I get when I mention them being aware of Newcastle United .

What can I do ?

• Online Guy

May 24, 2019 at 10:37 PM

That’s Richmond down the smoke.

• Online Guy

May 24, 2019 at 10:46 PM

Away for a beer.

Don’t forget Jail .. change yer name to Block N’ Tackle .

We can then refer to you as Block .

• lesh

May 24, 2019 at 10:47 PM

Neil

Whilst I think you’re right that Rafa’d be keen to get some commitment to infrastructure investment into his contract, didn’t Charnley mention a figure that the club would guarantee for transfers over the next couple of years and Rafa wants it written into a contract?

Rafa’ll be mindful of Ashley’s ‘every last penny’ promise….. Once bitten etc.

• Munster Mag

May 24, 2019 at 10:56 PM

Online you’ll get used to the two lads. I still laugh at them in a nice way. Bitter laptop boys, not the worst in the world. Jail can be a bit obsessive but hey ho, all toon supporters

• lesh

May 24, 2019 at 11:08 PM

Online

So, it’s been your turn for the title of today’s most favoured poster. Don’t worry, it’ll be somebody else’s turn tomorrow.

• lesh

May 24, 2019 at 11:18 PM

And for those of of us past our ‘best by’ date……

• lesh

May 24, 2019 at 11:24 PM

And some more…… The Allman Brothers Band…..

• lesh

May 24, 2019 at 11:26 PM

Oh dear

The music might be a little early – what the hell, the nightshift’s clocked on!

• Nicky the ball tosser

May 24, 2019 at 11:35 PM

He wants assurances written in and he wants to be able to leave if they aren’t met. It’s no run of the mill “Alan Pardew” contract. Its complex and it needs to be watertight. He might even continue for a while without one. As he says, it’s a bit like Brexit.

• jane

May 25, 2019 at 12:03 AM

“He wants assurances written in”

how do we know that? the press/guesswork/assumption. but really we don’t know.

• toon22

May 25, 2019 at 12:04 AM

OLG

Who bought us last time ?
    Or any of the other god knows how many times ?

Must have missed it

• Nicky the ball tosser

May 25, 2019 at 12:11 AM

Ok, how about, “he wants assurances and he wants to be able to leave without penalty if they aren’t met. It’s no run of the mill “Alan Pardew” contract. It’s more complex and it needs to be watertight. Will you maybe buy that?

• toon22

May 25, 2019 at 12:15 AM

Jane

But you know otherwise ?

LoL

• NY Mag

May 25, 2019 at 12:50 AM

Nicky,

I agree that Rafa is probably looking for assurances, but I find it tough to understand how those assurances would be written into an employment contract

• NY Mag

May 25, 2019 at 12:58 AM

Just catching up on the blog for today……

giimps – I hope I didnt upset you with my Nissan dig, it was just a bit of light hearted banter with toon22. I also have friends who work there(and are not mackems)

For the record, I don’t think toon22 is a Mackem either – I was just having a ‘larf

• Nicky the ball tosser

May 25, 2019 at 1:01 AM

Yeah, I agree. I think it’s a tricky agreement. The point I’m clumsily trying to make is that the details, the exact wording etc, is likely taking this length of time to finalize. I’m not overly anxious yet and think the time being taken may well be necessary and even a good thing for us in the long run.

If it were me, I’d want to be able to walk away without penalty, if assurances aren’t met. Pardew got a seven year deal, but as soon as Palace were willing to buy out the contract he was off. I’m sure Rafa doesn’t want to find himself in a similar position.

• Nicky the ball tosser

May 25, 2019 at 1:06 AM

I remember Pardew’s parting shot, “I can’t win here”, which I assume was in reference to being caught between the fans hopes and expectations, the “Ashley model” and his seven year deal.

• lesh

May 25, 2019 at 1:22 AM

NY Mag

They’re called ‘Terms and Conditions’ being parts of the employment contract.

• Munster Mag

May 25, 2019 at 1:26 AM

Nicky its still a concern that an employment and investment contract could take this long. However maybe the fundamentals have been agreed and the rest is a long drawn out minor detail affair. I’m a small bit worried though but just laugh at bastards who say they will walk if rafa goes. That’s just appalling. A fan either supports the club or they don’t. If rafa leaves and you don’t like the shirt more than the ownership situation, find yourself a different team to support.

• NY Mag

May 25, 2019 at 1:30 AM

Lesh,

I understand that……but what T & C’s have you ever known where by you can overrule your boss / board / owner on finances or capital spending?

(BTW I’m not trying to stickup for Ashley here in any way shape or form – just trying to think through the practicalities of what’s going on)

• lesh

May 25, 2019 at 1:30 AM

Nicky

You’re the eternal optimist.

The principals of Rafa’s contract could’ve been agreed with a handshake but it strikes me that if an agreement is hinging on the fine tuning, then it ain’t gonna work.

Ashley’s trying to either screw Rafa over or screw him.out of the door. History suggests that Ashley negotiates in bad faith, tries to protect his interests by deception. Ashley’s a spiv, a con merchant, a liar.

• Nicky the ball tosser

May 25, 2019 at 1:34 AM

Yeah, well obviously the vast majority of us are black and white till we die, no matter what, but I really do hope we are on the pitch in protest if Ashley doesn’t do enough to keep Rafa on board.

I think though Rafa won’t be asking for anything beyond what the club can afford, so I find it difficult to believe, knowing the consequences, that Ashley won’t ultimately concede enough to get the signature.

• lesh

May 25, 2019 at 1:41 AM

NY Mag

No, I wouldn’t expect T & Cs to enable an employee to override decisions relating to cap spend for example. But surely one would hope that an employer would act in good faith at least give an employee a feeling of confidence that what’s promised’ll be delivered. Yes, tricky to build into an employment contract but surely not too much to hope for?

If there’s no trust between the parties, any contract’s not worth the paper it’s written on. Ashley’s got form and that’s what makes me believe Rafa’ll not be with us on July 1st. I sincerely hope I’m wrong but…

• Nicky the ball tosser

May 25, 2019 at 1:42 AM

Well yeah. You enter into an agreement with Mike Ashley, you better know exactly what you are getting yourself into.

• lesh

May 25, 2019 at 1:46 AM

NY Mag, Nicky

I’d love to chat on but I’m whacked. Another time maybe.

On that note, good night all.

• toon22

May 25, 2019 at 1:50 AM

Munster

Unfortunately we’re not all “proper” supporters like yourself

We hate Mikey Boy

😉

• NY Mag

May 25, 2019 at 1:56 AM

Lesh,

I wholeheartedly agree….it’s all about vision and trust – that’s what Rafa has always said in his interviews (I’ve never heard him say I want this or I want that)
    What I’ve heard him say is that he wants to sit down and understand what is the the vision for the club, where does the owner want to take it.

That’s not going to be in any contract, it’s going to be an agreement (verbal) on how to move forward.
    I agree with Nicky, Rafa would want a way out if agreements are not fulfilled (but those agreements are not going to form part of any contract)

• NY Mag

May 25, 2019 at 1:59 AM

toon22,

Can I ask, what constitutes a “proper” supporter?

• toon22

May 25, 2019 at 2:38 AM

Dunno

Ask Munster

• NY Mag

May 25, 2019 at 2:51 AM

Jib,

“NY ridicule off who ?
    Someone who’s opinion I value ?
    That person doesn’t exist on this blog”

That’s a pretty curious response from last night…..are you saying that you don’t value anyone’s opinion on this blog or are you saying that you don’t value anyone who ridicules you opinions?

You’te a regular contributor on this blog……and I can honestly say that it wouldn’t be the same without you (cue, derisions)

I respect most (not all) people’s opinions on here, even if I don’t agree with them…..to say that you don’t respect opinions of everyone, is quite frankly, disrespectful.

• NY Mag

May 25, 2019 at 2:54 AM

toon22,

But Munster never mentioned “proper” supperters…..only you did ?

• Nicky the ball tosser

May 25, 2019 at 3:28 AM

I imagine that a guaranteed transfer budget and a guaranteed level of funding for infrastructure could be written into an agreement, in the form of a percentage of the profits or something.

• toon22

May 25, 2019 at 3:42 AM

I doubt anyone would trust MA
    Even with a contract

I doubt Rafa fancies years in court

• lesh

May 25, 2019 at 6:22 AM

NY Mag

Look back at Jib’s posts over the years and you’ll see arrogance and contempt for others’ opinions that provoke reaction which leads to suggestions of narcissism.

• chicousa

May 25, 2019 at 6:41 AM

NY,
    I wouldn’t take any individual blog comment too seriously from anyone. Who hasn’t made an off the cuff remark on this blog that they don’t later regret? The nice thing about a blog where our true identities remain anonymous is that we can speak freely without running each of our momentary opinions or comments by a political correctness police board! Forgive and forget and move on! 😉