web analytics

Report – Newcastle After Top Right-Back

There is a report in the Daily Mail that Newcastle are interested in an ambitious move for Mario Fernandes of CSKA Moscow.

Mario Fernandes– Russia’s Brazilian right-back

This is a world class player who starred for the hosts in 2018 World Cup. He undoubtedly would be an impact signing at Newcastle but glaring factors make this link a little suspect.

Mario Fernandes is a Russian international who also has one cap for Brazil. He was granted Russian citizenship in June 2016 and has since been capped 16 times for them.

Fernandes has been at CSKA Moscow since a £9.45 move from Brazilian club Gremio in the summer of 2012 and has gone on to make 235 appearances for the club.

The attacking full-back would be an instant upgrade for Newcastle on the right. He can play further forward as a winger but is primarily deployed as a full-back. His attacking ability is very much an integral part of his game as he has averaged 4 goals and 6 assists over the past four seasons.

There are, however, two proverbial “elephants in the room” with this report. Fernandes will be 29 in September and will cost a reported £26.5M.

It is extremely unlikely that Ashley would sanction a move of this sort. The player is just too old and costs too much money.

Fernandes is under contract until 2022 and Atletico Madrid are heavily linked with him.

While this would be an excellent signing for a club striving to break into the top eight next season, we just can’t see this one happening.

• DubaiMicky

May 24, 2019 at 7:25 AM

The way that the club, ie Shepherd and Hall treated Sir Bobby was nearly as disgusting as the way ashLIE has treated us.

• giimps

May 24, 2019 at 7:40 AM

NY
    I work at Nissan and I’m no Mackem …..although there are a few here, quite a few Mags too though thankfully.
    Mind you, when discussing football matters ,there is a deathly silence in the office from the red and white quarters……oh, and I’ve recently become a Charlton Athletic fan (temporarily) the enemy of my enemy and all that.

• Munster Mag

May 24, 2019 at 7:48 AM

True but they also recruited crap managers. Sadly souness is a plausible pundit and thankfully doesn’t bash nufc fans as much as he used to. Tnmw, I agree re youth. It’s not allowed to question rafa on this blog (Well it is, followed by dogs abuse) but it’s highly questionable of he would have given longstaff a go in the absence of injuries. So if our midfield had stayed fit, would rafa have dropped say Shelvey. I’m not sure. I don’t recall him being given increasing minutes on the pitch in a preplanned way that would suggest he was seen as the player he showed himself to be. Of course that is seen as anti rafa but that’s not really the point. Well it is to the obsessives!

• simon376

May 24, 2019 at 7:50 AM

Got to say I agree with Toon 22 on Dalglish, he took apart a team that had finished 3rd and 2nd, only needed one or two additions to win the league, but what seemed to be his Keegan dislike put us in the downward spiral. It was Bobby who saved us and got us going again, but we all know what happened after that.

And yeah Giimps, roll on Sunday, looking forward to sitting in the Charlton end and supporting them. Just hoping I get a trip to Wembley again for us very soon

• Munster Mag

May 24, 2019 at 7:55 AM

Giimps I fondly recall being on the piss in Dublin and meeting some mackems and having a pint with them. I pretended I wasnt really a big footie fan but kept saying how, as a plastic man u fan, Keegans team shud have won and what a lovely brand of football they played. They hated me by the end :). I had to bid them goodnight before it got spicey. Covert anti mackem ops 🙂

• JohnJ

May 24, 2019 at 7:55 AM

I have to say I’m a died in the wool Newcastle United fan and have been since around 1957 but I’ve very much missed the times where we’ve given Sunderland a thumping. So do I want Sunderland back in the EPL yes but only because we owe them a few thrashings to keep them in their places! So do I want them to beat Charlton yes! but I won’t lose any sleep if they get turned over!