web analytics

Best Wishes To Sunderland Today

I had lunch last Friday with one of my friends here in Raleigh, and we joined IBM one week apart way back in 1970 when there were no PCs.

Peter was born in Sunderland and has been a Sunderland supporter all his life and we have both ended up in Raleigh.

So he will be on tenterhooks soon as Sunderland take on Charlton Athletic in the League One Playoff final at Wembley.

Sunderland manager Jack Ross

The game kicks off within the hour

This may be a contrarian view but we hope Sunderland win today.

It’s better for the region, for Newcastle, and for Sunderland to have two Premier League clubs in the area.

Sunderland need to be in the Premier League just like Newcastle.

Best of luck to Sunderland today.

• geordietom

May 26, 2019 at 2:32 PM

best wishes i dont think so not in my hoose …

• toon22

May 26, 2019 at 2:32 PM

LoL

Come on Charlton

• geordietom

May 26, 2019 at 2:33 PM

hey TOON22 we agree on something theres a novelty …

• Nostradamus the Geordie

May 26, 2019 at 2:37 PM

Ed, have you been hitting the Brown today.

I remember the flyovers at St James, so just to be a good sport I wish them all the luck in the world today, Charlton that is.

• Chancel My MBembaship

May 26, 2019 at 2:37 PM

Being from South Shields there’s always been a mix of them and us, and I’ve had to put up with so much crap from Mackems over the years that I absolutely can’t wish them well today. I hope they get bladdered. Still, it’ll be a nice day out for them eh?

• Chancel My MBembaship

May 26, 2019 at 2:40 PM

Sod’s Law that I’m living in another country now that they’ve crashed and burned into League One. I’d have loved to laugh at my Mackem coworkers from back in the day. Hearing all about how many times they’d beaten us in a row and all that nonsense. Doesn’t really seem so important now, does it SMBs?

• Hugh Jorgan

May 26, 2019 at 2:41 PM

I hope our poor relations are on the receiving end of a good hiding.

• TheJimBelow

May 26, 2019 at 2:46 PM

Have to disagree and always will. They made their choices and they’ve went through with the actions they have.

Don’t need em don’t want em don’t like em

Hope Charlton embarrass them 🙂

• Moonraker15

May 26, 2019 at 2:47 PM

They’re between a rock and a hard thing. If they lose they’re gonna be marooned in the third division for years and, if they win they’re gonna lose a lot of games and get relegated again!
    Shame lol

• Optimistic Panda

May 26, 2019 at 2:48 PM

3/4 of the people voting in the mag don’t want Sunderland to win.

• Oldgit1

May 26, 2019 at 2:51 PM

Repost -@ Essex Geordie Bill, yep it was sad that Spennymoor didn’t get promoted, a miss in the penalty shoot out by the leagues leading goal scorer of 31 goals, you couldn’t make it up. It’s a well run and solvent club who are a professional club and a part-time club at the same time. Glen Taylor is on a £1000 a week but is still a school teacher as is his wife.
    The manager is a head master but spends a lot of hours coaching etc. A truly nice guy as is the owner who has managed to keep the club a float to the point we have a million in the bank.

Next season we will go for automatic promotion I’m sure. It’s a club who are supported by disillusioned Boro, Sunderland and Newcastle supporters who have all given up their season tickets for various reasons, in my case, I can’t afford to go. However, we all keep up with the scores of clubs we are affiliated to, with by use of mobile phones.

For £9 a match and £3 for my grandson, it’s great value and a great day out.

The club puts on buses for the away supporters at a tenner regardless where the match is.

I will always support my beloved NUFC though but now entering my 70s I feel I have spent enough with only the fairs cup to cheer and the Keegan era.

• martoon

May 26, 2019 at 2:59 PM

Toon22 the word is ‘aren’t’ which short for ‘are not’ – did they not teach you anything at that approved school you went to?

• Bobbybee

May 26, 2019 at 3:00 PM

Good luck my left kn*cker. Come on Addicks – batter them

• Dragon64

May 26, 2019 at 3:02 PM

Well that’s one good thing we can agree on a chalton win

• Chancel My MBembaship

May 26, 2019 at 3:07 PM

Charlton get the first goal, just in the wrong net.

• Sad Frog lll

May 26, 2019 at 3:12 PM

Wish Ashley would piss offf

Hiya Jib

Not Ashleys fault

• Bobbybee

May 26, 2019 at 3:12 PM

Nice to see Charlton are confident enough to give the mackems a head start. If they lose, this now, all the more sweeter in the long run. Good save lad, that’ll help the confidence after that unmitigated disaster.

• Essex Geordie Bill

May 26, 2019 at 3:13 PM

Looks like me and Ed are in the minority today! 😉

• Sad Frog lll

May 26, 2019 at 3:13 PM

Come on the Mackems.

Hiya Jib

• Beardosfacedouble

May 26, 2019 at 3:37 PM

get in

• Chancel My MBembaship

May 26, 2019 at 3:37 PM

Equaliser! Nice time to get it going into halftime too.

• martoon

May 26, 2019 at 3:40 PM

I like to see all the North East teams doing well as long as we’re on top. Even if they do win I think they’ll be in the Championship for a few years.

• Bobbybee

May 26, 2019 at 3:40 PM

Oh yes, very nicely worked goal indeed – unlike the first. Ha ha ha, I think I want Charlton to win nearly as much as their fans do. Very sad indeed on one level – get in, on another.
    Only football can do that. Very odd indeed. Save the psychology – I’m just an average Mag. 🙂

• Davey_H

May 26, 2019 at 3:43 PM

@Oldgit1

I am feeling the same way about my NUFC and Spennymoor support, I only live round the corner from the Brewery Field so I have got no excuses, except I work permanent nights and the offer of a season ticket which has been reduced for next season.
    Look at these prices:-

Spennymoor Town FC is delighted to announce a radically-reduced season ticket price for the 2019/20 season in the Vanarama National League North.

Prices have been reduced across the board by an average of 33 per cent below last season’s standard price, demonstrating the club’s commitment to affordable football for all in County Durham.

Standard single-entry prices have also been reduced by an average of 17 per cent across age groups, with a supplementary cost on the season’s seven most mouth-watering “category A” fixtures.

Adult season tickets now cost £150, Concessions (over 60s) cost £110 and Under 18s cost £30, with Under 10s remaining free with a paying adult.

Additionally, two new family tickets offer further discounts. Two adults and one U18 will get a ticket for £300 – meaning the U18 ticket is free. Meanwhile two adults and two children will cost £320.00, which includes one U18 ticket for free and a 33 per cent discount on the second.

It would be a great team for people to support if they cannot make their own team.

#PrideOfCountyDurham

• Tsunki

May 26, 2019 at 3:48 PM

I must wholeheartedly agree that it’s best for the region when successful teams are great contributors in representing the North East in a good and healthy light, and to that end, wanting only what’s best for this corner of England I wish every success, in finally annihilating the sordid scumsuckers and obliterating their sad aspirations for another year, to Charlton Athletic.

😀

• DaveD1000

May 26, 2019 at 3:56 PM

I don’t mind how low Sunlun end up

• Jib

May 26, 2019 at 3:57 PM

Ha ha ha
    I keep trying to heart Tsunki’s comment but Ed is blocking it
    I have some really sound friends who support Sunlun and
    they admit a lot of their supporters are scum of the earth

• Chancel My MBembaship

May 26, 2019 at 3:57 PM

I don’t think I want Sunderland representing the North East, thanks very much.

• Ron Knee

May 26, 2019 at 4:02 PM

“The Championship play-off final between Aston Villa and Derby is worth £170m to the winner, as well as a prized place in the Premier League.”

Motivation.

• Jib

May 26, 2019 at 4:03 PM

Ed has removed the block

• DaveD1000

May 26, 2019 at 4:05 PM

yup just hearted it lol

• Bobbybee

May 26, 2019 at 4:06 PM

Have you never been that close to them and not feel the pure hatred that emenates from them towards us? If there’s one thing the 70s taught me, it was, ‘hatred’.
    We got very up front and personal in the 70s. As fans, it wasn’t something we invented, it was already like that, we just accepted it as the norm. We didn’t know it could be different. It just was what it was.
    And truth is – they hate us. They may keep it under control better now, but save the northeast camaraderie – they despise us. 🙂 If positions were reversed they would be taking full page ads in the Sun to remind us.
    Just hope Charlton win. Sunlun fans don’t get the irony in bragging that we’ve never played in a first division play off final. They actually see that as point scoring. You even see them on blogs bragging that we’ve never Sunk so low as to even compete in the Special Needs Trophy. Not those words but the point nail on head. They brag they beat our academy team on the way to the final. The irony goes miles over their heads. They hate us with a passion.
    And who can blame them? They are inferior after all. Ha ha ha!!! Healthy banter, nowt wrong with it. Come on Charlton!!!! 🙂

• hallelujah..john tudor john tudor

May 26, 2019 at 4:16 PM

i have never met a sunderland fan that would like newcastle to do well, but, hats of to them, at least they are honest and are straight about it

• DaveD1000

May 26, 2019 at 4:17 PM

Elliot Baker

Look. Let’s be honest.

Sunderland Till I Die – Season 2 will be a lot better and bittersweet if Sunderland lose.

Come on Charlton! Do it for Netflix!

#CHASUN

4:13 PM – 26 May 2019
    1 Retweet 4 Likes Dave douglas
    1 reply 1 retweet 4 likes
    Reply 1 Retweet 1 Liked 4 Direct message

• Moonraker15

May 26, 2019 at 4:23 PM

Cattermole is a total pr1ck

• hallelujah..john tudor john tudor

May 26, 2019 at 4:26 PM

newcastle v sunderland is the longest running rivalry, it goes back to the english civil war and the battle of boldon. with boldon being the last village in tyneside before makem land

• Oldgit1

May 26, 2019 at 4:28 PM

@ Davey_H thanks for your post, it’s a shame you work night shift. Hopefully you can get there on a Sat afternoon. When a team goes from a 50 odd gate to almost a thousand to twelve hundred, ok there are some 700 to 800 gates but that is quite a feat by anybody’s standard. I see and speak a lot to supporters of the so called big three clubs with a lot saying it’s getting too expensive and cannot relate to the money players are being paid. Seems like the heart has been ripped out of the higher level stage.

Anyway, looking forward to the ground being given an upgrade and there is attention to the pitch being made as we speak with the ground being levelled.

Better get back to posting about Newcastle. Hoping that Rafa gets everything he wants.

• Sad Frog lll

May 26, 2019 at 4:31 PM

Save our Mackems.

Hiya

• hallelujah..john tudor john tudor

May 26, 2019 at 4:31 PM

oldgit1 i think its great supporting the smaller local clubs, my local club is south shields and i should really go more, gutted about gateshead

• toonincheek

May 26, 2019 at 4:32 PM

Let’s not forget Sunderland fans reaction to MH17 and the
    deaths of John Alder and Liam Sweeney.
    They were first to set up a support fund.