web analytics

Positive Noises On Contract Talks Coming From Both Sides

Sky Sports reporter Keith Downey was part of a Sky Sports’ Transfer Talk podcast last Friday, and he gave an update on Rafa’s drawn-out negotiations which we reported on earlier today.

The gist of the talk was that progress was being made in the negotiations and that Rafa wants many changes made in the way Newcastle have done things under Mike Ashley for twelve years.

If this all goes through and Rafa signs a new deal we have to believe that Ashley has agreed to make the majority of changes Rafa has asked for.

But as Downey points out, Newcastle always do things laboriously slowly – and this is no exception.

The three major negotiators – Ashley, Rafa, and Charnley
One looks puzzled, one seems fed up, the other looks smug

Newcastle make snails look like the fastest things on the planet.

That has to change.

The piece by Keith Downey is generally favorable to Rafa signing.

This is what Downie told Sky Sports’ Transfer Talk podcast:

“So there’s a lot of paperwork and a lot of toing and froing to go through.”

“As we sit here, Friday lunch-time, the contract still isn’t signed.”

“I wouldn’t be surprised if it goes into next week. The noises I’m hearing are positive ones from inside the club and Rafa’s side.”

“But I suppose with Newcastle and the way they are and the way things have gone in the past, no-one will actually believe that until they see it in writing.”

“And he’s standing inside St James’ Park with a scarf above his head.”

Let’s hope we get some positive closure on Rafa early next week.

This thing has gone on far too long.

• Tsunki

May 26, 2019 at 1:29 PM

You can tell there’s nothing doing the blogs going stir crazy and rounding on our amphibian loud hailer 🙂

The reason he reared up last night is because you’re all railing at him. He’s obviously a very paranoid froggy so stop igniting him!

Just accept that he is what he is and give him a few yards room – I’m sure we all long for the day Mikey is frogmarched out of here ha ha

• jimiley

May 26, 2019 at 1:31 PM

30 more years of Ashley means 30 more years of nothing to add to the previous 65. I do not count 1969 as its foreign. Thats getting close to a century. Lets not go anywhere near 1927.

• Moonraker15

May 26, 2019 at 1:31 PM

Ben Afri
    From previous post. Make sure of your grammar when critical of others. There’s no apostrophe when stating “Use apostrophes”
    Get it!

• Bobbybee

May 26, 2019 at 1:40 PM

If anybody can Jail, Rafa can, we agree on that for sure.
    He just needs to spend literally days on the training pitch, with dummies in front of him, practising scoring goals from outside the box. Not free kicks, just balls rolled into him and him practising getting the ball around the dummies and into the net. Like I say, that can be improved on. It’s odd that someone who does have a strikers knack, doesn’t score more goals from distance.
    Hes still young enough to learn though. Definitely not writing him off yet. Strikers only peak later on generally, 25-30 as a rule, so he’s got time on his hands.
    Imagine if he could score those goals as well as he takes his sitters? Maybe Rafa can make him that player? If he does, he’ll be priceless. One of those times you’re delighted to be wrong innit? 🙂

• Essex Geordie Bill

May 26, 2019 at 1:51 PM

Tammy, not excited about the prospect of signing him.

If we get to keep Rondon and slowly introduce Sorensen and Toure into the 1st team then I reckon we’ll be well set next season for strikers.

• Bobbybee

May 26, 2019 at 1:51 PM

OFD, I’m a big fan of the idea of PL clubs not bring allowed to loan to other PL clubs. I think it does nothing but stifle potential, because if players don’t get the right loan, they can just lose interest in the game generally as they waste their time in the second string.
    If it was, down to me, I would ban it – even though we, have benefitted from it.
    Then, young players wouldn’t be happy sitting in the stiffs, earning 50k a week for doing sweet FA. They’d sign for other than the obvious glamour clubs and work their way up, not have to take a wage cut to get first team football. No loans to other PL clubs. Period.

• Bobbybee

May 26, 2019 at 2:00 PM

How long now Bill? Oh god, close seasonitis has got me.
    Right, gonna have a shower, get myself comfortable in front of the box and watch crying mackems on the telly.
    Amazing how the semi was only a half filled stadium, but they’re all crawling out from under their rock for the final.
    Is that why it’s called a semi final? Because Sunlun only semi fill their stadium for the game? 🙂 Half the town in London, the other half burgling the homes of those in London. What a lovely place to live eh? 🙂

• Essex Geordie Bill

May 26, 2019 at 2:05 PM

I’ve never been a Mackem hater, I know some canny lads who support them, personally I’d like to see more NE clubs in the EPL, including the Heed and Spennymoor so long as we remained top dog.

Haway (their spelling) Sunderland!!

• Essex Geordie Bill

May 26, 2019 at 2:12 PM

Just spotted that NUFC are holding an ebay auction of players kit from last season, 1st one was last Tuesday, there’ll be one on the next 3 Tuesdays, money will go to local community projects.

• toon22

May 26, 2019 at 2:13 PM

Jim

The fans arnt that stupid

• Sad Frog II

May 26, 2019 at 2:15 PM

I back Ashley.
    #mikexit

• toon22

May 26, 2019 at 2:31 PM

Hiya JIB

• Oldgit1

May 26, 2019 at 2:47 PM

@ Essex Geordie Bill, yep it was sad that Spennymoor didn’t get promoted, a miss in the penalty shoot out by the leagues leading goal scorer of 31 goals, you couldn’t make it up. It’s a well run and solvent club who are a professional club and a part-time club at the same time. Glen Taylor is on a £1000 a week but is still a school teacher as is his wife.
    The manager is a head master but spends a lot of hours coaching etc. A truly nice guy as is the owner who has managed to keep the club a float to the point we have a million in the bank.

Next season we will go for automatic promotion I’m sure. It’s a club who are supported by disillusioned Boro, Sunderland and Newcastle supporters who have all given up their season tickets for various reasons, in my case, I can’t afford to go. However, we all keep up with the scores of clubs we are affiliated to, with by use of mobile phones.

For £9 a match and £3 for my grandson, it’s great value and a great day out.

The club puts on buses for the away supporters at a tenner regardless where the match is.

I will always support my beloved NUFC though but now entering my 70s I feel I have spent enough with only the fairs cup to cheer and the Keegan era.